World Cup Group H: Spain vs. Chile

This is it, the final two games of group play. Lots of possibilities in Group H. Defending European champion Spain could finish first in the group with a win over Chile...or be eliminated with a loss or even a tie (if Switzerland defeats Honduras). There's also a chance that Spain could advance even with a loss (if Honduras defeats Switzerland to force a three-way tie for second in the group).

Chile will win the group with a win or a tie. With a loss, the best Chile can hope for is second place in the group.

In any case, the Group H winners get tough draws in the round of 16: Brazil and Portugal.

For a live Spain-Chile box score, click here, and for in-game commentary, click here.

For streaming video of the game, click here.

By Matt Bonesteel  |  June 25, 2010; 2:10 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Chile , Spain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Cup Group H: Switzerland vs. Honduras
Next: World Cup Group H: Spain tops Chile, both advance

Comments

I really hope that both qualify...

Posted by: Reignking | June 25, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Spanish player in the Chilean half before the kickoff. That's offside in American football. The refs already suck.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 25, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

What was the Chilean GK thinking?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 25, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Make sure you play it out next time, homie.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 25, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Rand-a-Thor (If your around this thread it’s in response to the other): I agree with you fully. And I should clarify that I sued the "commi-loving/loved to loathe" in a sort of tongue in cheek manner to poke fun at the perceived state of my academic discipline. Don't get me wrong, a strong influence of critical theory makes me pessimistic but my father is a lifelong police officer. The man is as patriotic as they come and he taught me well. Also, I have always kept my head complete out of the ivory tower and have a real sense of the good ol' American spirit. My college athletic career has kept me from fitting the academic mold completely. Also, you certainly didn’t offend me. Just figure I should clarify because I didn’t want to give off the wrong perception.

I too would like both of these teams to advance. Come on Honduras.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 25, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Draw, not tie. A "tie" is the matchup itself - "the Spain/Chile World Cup tie."

Posted by: stantheman1 | June 25, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

The draw happened last year when the teams were placed into groups.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 25, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Fernando Torres=Eddie Johnson, version Summer '08

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 25, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Incredible goal by Villa. I would never make that.

Estrada's first yellow was weak, but he could've had the second, earlier.

Posted by: Reignking | June 25, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Dracula strikes again!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 25, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that's disgraceful from Torres. Throws himself down and clutches his face ala Keita. Chile now down to 10 men and Switzerland could take that last spot if they win.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | June 25, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

*Second spot

Posted by: RedDevil1 | June 25, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

It's all gone pear shaped for the Chileans.

Posted by: JkR- | June 25, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Casillas' girlfriend was behind the Chilean goal?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 25, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

It takes a deflection like that to beat the world's #1 goalkeeper. Has anyone else noticed that, according to ESPN announcers, there are at least three guys who are the world's #1 goalie (Buffon, Cesar and Casillas)?

Posted by: fischy | June 25, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

At least, those guys are really good. I still can't take Lalas seriously, ever since he pronounced Kasey Keller the best goalie in the world just before the US-Czech game 4 years ago....

Posted by: fischy | June 25, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

The Hondurans are making sure they don't leave any yellow cards behind before leaving South Africa.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 25, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

anyone still following the yahoo bracket challenge? for some reason, I can't make picks for the knockout round. anyone else having trouble?

Posted by: troy6 | June 25, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

It's not a deflection, it's a Chile dip . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | June 25, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

never mind. tried again and it worked.

Posted by: troy6 | June 25, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Get those time-off requests in for next Tuesday... Spain-Portugal at 2:30 ET

Posted by: Kev29 | June 25, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

So excited about the wellness exam my daughter has scheduled at 2pm on Tuesday...

Posted by: DadRyan | June 25, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse