World Cup matchday: USA-Algeria

So this is it. Win and they're in (and perhaps finish first). Draw and, well, maybe. Lose and they're out.

What else is at stake? The reputation of the program, which should beat Algeria and fulfill expectations of finishing in the top two in Group C. Bob Bradley's employment. TV ratings back home for the round of 16. Perhaps European club offers for U.S. players. Bonus money for the players. Additional revenue and marketing opportunities for the USSF.

Kickoff: 10 a.m. ET.
TV: ESPN, Univision, ESPN Deportes, ESPN3.com
Weather in Pretoria: 60s, clear.

Former President Bill Clinton will be in attendance at Loftus Versfeld Stadium, the communications director of the William J. Clinton Foundation confirmed to the Insider.

Read my match preview.

Read Liz Clarke's piece on England's angst.

The Post's On Leadership project examines Bradley and the U.S. team.

USA lineup prediction: GK Tim Howard; Ds Steve Cherundolo, Oguchi Onyewu, Jay DeMerit, Carlos Bocanegra; Landon Donovan, Michael Bradley, Ricardo Clark, Benny Feilhaber; Clint Dempsey, Jozy Altidore.

Agree or disagree?

Algeria Coach Rabah Saadane was asked if his team, with its strong ties to French soccer and culture, feels a greater responsibility to succeed now that France has crashed and burned.

"We have a great deal of responsibility as it is. We represent the African continent, the hopes of of the African continent. We also represent the Arab world. If you give us this additional responsibility ..... (laughter) It is unfortunate for France. There are strong links between our countries and it's a good lesson for us. The World Cup is teaching us a great deal every day."

For today's complete schedule, TV listings and predictions.....

MATCHDAY 13
USA (0-0-2) vs. Algeria (0-1-1), 10 a.m. ET
ESPN, Univision, ESPN Deportes, ESPN3.com (ESPN Classic at 6)
Prediction: USA, 2-1.

England (0-0-2) vs. Slovenia (1-0-1), 10 a.m.
ESPN2, Telefutura, ESPN3.com (ESPN Classic at 10)
Prediction: 1-1.

Germany (1-1) vs. Ghana (1-0-1), 2:30 p.m.
ESPN, Univision, ESPN Deportes, ESPN3.com (ESPN Classic at 8)
Prediction: Germany, 2-1.

Serbia (1-1) vs. Australia (0-1-1), 2:30 p.m.
ESPN2, Telefutura, ESPN3.com (ESPN Classic at midnight)
Prediction: Serbia, 2-1.

By Steve Goff  |  June 23, 2010; 4:43 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: American soccer, Bill Clinton, South Africa, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Cup Group B standings: Argentina, South Korea advance
Next: Sign of the times: France's World Cup fiasco

Comments

Dear Shelf Genie company, thank you for scheduling the installment of my new kitchen shelves today. Guess I just have to be home for that this morning. Go USA!

Posted by: DCB23 | June 23, 2010 5:11 AM | Report abuse

prime time...prime time...Prime Time...Prime Time...PRIME TIME...PRIME TIME

some of the best pump-up music ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXuXBLlfxRo

Let's do this!

Posted by: Pedalada | June 23, 2010 5:13 AM | Report abuse

Whoever asked the question of Saadane about responsibility and France is ignorant beyond belief. I'm surprised he deigned to answer it.

As for the "reputation" of the US program, Goff, I say calm down. Don't let Glenn Beck and those turd brains on Sports Talk 980 get to you. If Holland can survive NEVER winning a World Cup, I think the U.S. can survive putting up a good fight and failing to advance in 2010, especially given our limp display is 2006. Relax, it'll be OK, really.

Posted by: loosek | June 23, 2010 5:25 AM | Report abuse

I say start Buddle...maybe Edu

Our best scoring combination is Donovan-Buddle so why haven't they been on the field together yet? 2 goals against Australia wasn't enough?

If he really sucks after 30 minutes sub him, but give him a shot, many shots.

Posted by: Southeasterner | June 23, 2010 5:39 AM | Report abuse

Sorry I forgot Buddle got 13 min against England and one shot...which was one more shot than Findley had in 77 min.

Posted by: Southeasterner | June 23, 2010 5:55 AM | Report abuse

Buddle and Edu over Feilhaber/Clark.

I'm oddly confident, and my confidence level seems to be a good indicator of how my teams will play...

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 23, 2010 6:08 AM | Report abuse

GOff, did I just see you predict that England won't make it out of the group? Yikes.

Posted by: glfrazier | June 23, 2010 6:45 AM | Report abuse

General Patton defeated the Desert Fox in WWII.
General Bradley will defeat the Desert Foxes in WC2010.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 23, 2010 7:04 AM | Report abuse

What else is at stake? How about my the condition of my heart!

I kind of agree with Goff's England prediction but for some reason I still can't accept it. Wouln't mind seeing that result though.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 23, 2010 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Get the automatic external defibrillator from the hallway and put it on your desk. You might want to attach the electrodes to save time.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 23, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

What the?
French striker Thierry Henry will meet President Nicolas Sarkozy Thursday to explain ructions within the team ahead of their elimination from the World Cup.

Posted by: Reignking | June 23, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Got the milking done early this morning and the kids will slop the hogs so I can take a break at ten o'clock!

Posted by: AmishJim | June 23, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

At noon, Simon Kuper (Soccernomics, SOccer Against the Enemy) will be on-line to discuss the US-Algeria match.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 23, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 23, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Kuper must be loving the English failure.

Posted by: Reignking | June 23, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

How bout Spector for Onyewu?

I have ALWAYS said that Onyewu makes poor decisions. Did he complete a single pass vs Slovenia? He kicked sooooo many balls out that could have been saved.

I'm all in favor of "When in doubt, kick it out." Just don't CONSTANTLY be in doubt!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 23, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

JacobFrom....

Couldn't agree more. Dempsey is a mid-fielder and plays best there. Put Buddle in, he's been on fire, I just don't understand why he hasn't gotten a start, he should have been there since the first match. The only good news is that Findley is out, so Bradley can't waste the spot on him!

Posted by: harkes4ever | June 23, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

So we meet again to renew our old rivalry. I hope Donovan and company teach those Barbary Pirates a lesson!

I'd like to see Buddle start for Findley (which would leave Herc as a late-game speedy sub to run at a tiring defense) alongside Altidore assuming he's over his tummy problems.

Then play Edu alongside Mike Bradley.

Whichever lineup Cheating Bob decides upon, I'll be satisfied if we win and advance.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 23, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

It all comes down to this!

Posted by: redskinsux | June 23, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Whatever happens this morning, I'll be rooting against Germany later. Seeing them knocked out would be even better than France! Basically I am against every country that has ever won - I want to see somebody else win for a change. (With the exception of Uruguay, because nobody was alive the last time they won.)

Posted by: Senor_Funk | June 23, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

How bout Spector for Onyewu?
Posted by: 9Nine9
========

Spector is a right defender. Putting him in the center would disrupt organization and whatever communication we have. Also, he hasn't looked really sharp in friendlies. I think Onyewu will be fine, partly because he gets better the more games he gets, and partly because Algeria usually plays with a lone striker.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 23, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

@Posted by: I-270Exit1 I think Onyewu will be fine

Hope so! He really seemed lethargic last game. He's never really impressed me, but I admit I don't have a good alternative.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 23, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Whatever happens this morning, I'll be rooting against Germany later.
Posted by: Senor_Funk
=============

Some Serbian players have stated that they want to play the US in the round of 16 as revenge for our bombing their country. Idiots. I wonder if they also want to play Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia, and Kosovo, as well as other NATO countries.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 23, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

i say clark and dempsey in the midfield, buddle up top. whatever we do, the foremost objective should be to NOT GIVE UP A GOAL IN THE FIRST 20 MINUTES. bunker if you have to! i'd be ok with 0-0 at halftime. second half i am assuming the algerians will have to come out to win, which should open space for donovan. maybe move dempsey up top and bring in (gasp) beasley for added speed?

Posted by: birdynumnum | June 23, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't mind us playing Serbia...they sorta suck...sorta! Better Serbia than Garmany.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 23, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

We're gonna bomb Mali, soon.

Posted by: Reignking | June 23, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

ESPN just said Bornstein is starting at left back! Gooch gets benched, Boca moves to the middle. Edu starting - presumably alongside Bradley. And Herculez Gomez gets a start - presumably alongside Jozy.

The announcer - a Sports Center guy not a soccer analyst - didn't give the whole lineup but did say Bornstein, Edu and Herc would start.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 23, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse