World Cup poll: France vs. Uruguay

By Matt Bonesteel  |  June 11, 2010; 11:48 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Cup 2010 live streaming online
Next: World Cup scores and schedules

Comments

I don't see Uruguay winning. They have a few good players, but lack France's overall individual quality. Tie is possible, but I give the advantage to Ribery.

Posted by: fischy | June 11, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

If individual quality were the name of the game, then France would have beaten Ireland with ease. I pick another tie.

Posted by: hungrypug | June 11, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Ah, starting off with another scintillating 1-1 tie. No doubt the goalies are exhausted from having to make four or five saves in the game. The amazingly unique thing about soccer is that the higher the level of games, the more absolutely unwatchable it is! It's not just that they don't score, it's that they don't even TRY to score more than a few times a game. If you love watching tired athletes milling around the middle of an enormous field for about 80% of the game clock, then by all means pay the money. How soon does REAL football begin?

Posted by: 54465446 | June 11, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Idiot Alert!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 11, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

OT, Bob B. just said on ESPN radio that Jozy will start.

Posted by: assocfoot | June 11, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Welcome quadrennial soccer basher! We'll be seeing a few of these dinosaurs with links to Insider on the home page. So some Post online commenters will be taking a break from calling the President a Muslim communist to peek into our world.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 11, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Sunil Gulati is a muslim communist? I had no idea.

Along with there numerous transgressions against civilization, escargot and the diefication of Jerry Lewis come to mind, the French gave us "the hand of frog". They shouldn't be in this tournament, they don't belong here and I can't wait for them to go home.

Uruguay 2-1.

Posted by: harkes4ever | June 11, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Kev, some of biggest soccer haters in the media are hardcore left-wingers: Kornheiser, Frank Deford, John Feinstein, Olbermann. Don't typecast... it's very close-minded.

Doesn't Gulati work for Columbia University? He is then, by association, a communist.

;-)

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | June 11, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

You're right that I am a quadrennial soccer basher, because the sport only appears every four years like curling, ice dancing, and the ever popular luge! I do wish that I had bought that MLS franchise 15 years ago though. Why I hear that in my hometown of Chester PA, they averaged 12,000 people a game this year. That's nearly as many as the flash mobs which show up to terrorize the businesses on South Street. On second thought, even Lehman Brothers stock would probably have been a better investment than that!

Posted by: 54465446 | June 11, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Hey number guy, "amazingly unique" is not a grammatically acceptable term, so shut the f*** up and go watch some NASCAR. THAT'S exciting; cars going around a circle for 2 hours.

Posted by: kdiff813 | June 11, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

"Why I hear that in my hometown of Chester PA, they averaged 12,000 people a game this year."

Erroneous; the stadium hasn't been played in yet. The Philadelphia Union have played two home games, the average attendance of which is about 30,000. Seriously, go do something constructive with your life; sitting here bashing soccer is only making you look like a fool.

Posted by: kdiff813 | June 11, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I really didn't want to jump in on number guy, I would have rather just ignored him, but....

15 years ago an MLS franchise would have cost $5 million. Today, it would be worth $45 million, a 900% increase. Probably a little better than you would have done with Lehman Brothers.

Now, please crawl back under your rock.

Posted by: harkes4ever | June 11, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

When the Post does concert reviews, we don't normally see posts from deaf people, mocking hearing people for going to concerts. How is this any different?

Posted by: universityandpark | June 11, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Now, please crawl back under your rock.

Posted by: harkes4ever | June 11, 2010 1:28 PM
====================

This Irish-Scottish-American Indian American would love to see France go down in flames, given The Hand of Frog.

Uruguay and South Africa go through!

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | June 11, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

If you are anywhere near Germantown, here is an interesting setting for viewing today's match:

Posted by: universityandpark | June 11, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | June 11, 2010 1:51 PM
________________________________________

What stance do you recommend for persons of French and Irish ancestry?

Posted by: universityandpark | June 11, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Why I hear that in my hometown of Chester PA

Posted by: 54465446 | June 11, 2010 1:12 PM

That explains it - you're just Philly scum. Back to your "Lager" and wifebeating...

Posted by: Kev29 | June 11, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 54465446

Wait, I thought you were complaining about soccer and not Throwball. Last time I checked, Throwball was nothing but tired (and usually fat) athletes milling around in the middle of a field for 80% of the game.

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | June 11, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Hey American football guy... I know you can't go 1 month without seeing a bunch of fat asses with 100 lbs of pads on finger each other but soccer players are faster, more athletic and more in shape by far. The only reason you hate it is because you couldn't dream of having the power or finesse these soccer players have. Enjoy the next month of espn toolshed.

Posted by: Jumperdog4 | June 11, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm listening to the match on ESPN radio. I believe this is the first time I've ever heard Shep Messing do a match. Wow, what a tool.

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | June 11, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mandyloveme | June 11, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

http://www.channelsurfing.net has a live stream

Posted by: mandyloveme | June 11, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I love you soccer guys! All of you trying out to play a sport for the first time, so fun to see. As for the 12,000 I was speaking about PAID attendance, as in season ticket holders, not the freebies they are currently giving out. Do you really think that they would be building a park that only holds 18,000, if they could average over 30,000 in PAID attendance? LOL Must be some kind of European math. As for the increase in franchise price, well that would be really cool, if I didn't have to pay any part of the nearly one BILLION dollars in operating losses sustained by the league over that time (or was that just Beckham's salary in the three or four games he played?). European Math again I suspect. Oh, I like the guy with the dinosaur comment earlier. What could be more primitive than a sport that is only kicking a ball into a net?

Posted by: 54465446 | June 11, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Probably one that involves strictly holding a ball made of pig... Idiot

Posted by: Jumperdog4 | June 11, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse