Talking World Cup with D.C. United

The folks at Comcast SportsNet and CSNWashington.com were gracious enough to partner with The Post for a World Cup venture with D.C. United at the RFK Stadium training grounds Tuesday.

Check out the discussion with yours truly Paul Tenorio, Comcast's Russ Thaler, United Coach Curt Onalfo and former United star and current assistant Ben Olsen. Onalfo coached on Bruce Arena's staff at the 2006 World Cup, and Olsen was a member of that team in Germany.

By Paul Tenorio  |  June 15, 2010; 3:51 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , D.C. United  | Tags: American soccer, D.C. United, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Cup 2010: results and live streaming
Next: Wednesday World Cup kickaround

Comments

Wherever that field is, build 27,000 seats around it and let's call it home.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | June 15, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I think there are 45,000 seats in place there, they're just facing the other way . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | June 15, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Onalfo's not really much of a tactician, is he?

"And also there's gonna be a change in tactics, Slovenia won their first game so they have three points, so they're going to drop off and defend." - Onalfo

no - with the matchups for the 3rd and final game, Slovenia's road just gets tougher and they know that they need this win more than we do, we'd be much happier with a draw than they would be. England has to play for points in both games, so Slovenia needs to approach the US game as their last chance for points.

Posted by: joe_hill | June 15, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Where's the round table? Should be called World Cup Stand Around.

Anyway, kudos to Paul for working while we're all talking World Cup.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 15, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Paul -- he didn't have to watch today's matches.

Posted by: Reignking | June 15, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Glenn Beck says: "we hate soccer because the rest of the world likes it". Now who is "we". Must be the "real Americans".

Posted by: sofiaboy | June 15, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

poor audio, hard to hear anything they were saying.

Posted by: Pete803 | June 15, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

I blame the vuvuzelas. Ban them from the practice field.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 15, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Updated Fifa.com Fantasy Table

# Team Manager RD TOT
1 Berry Trainers atrain-76 79 79
2 Piano & Shoeshine Tzoni10 67 67
3 Globules Hackmo11 61 61
4 RK United Reignking 52 52
4 Atlanta-Ish SC Jacob-ATLish 52 52
6 Fischy Fanatics fischy 51 51
7 Buckingham United DadRyan 48 48
8 DCUDaytonUSA mfj626 47 47
9 AssocFoot United assocfoot 40 40

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 15, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Clicked on the Glenn Beck link. I proudly wear as a badge of honor that his cretinous mind thinks my love of the game makes me a less of an American.

Posted by: griffin1108 | June 15, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Hey anyone familiar with Virginia Beach give me any helpful info on Soccer friendly bars down that way, especially near First Landing State Park.

We're going camping out that way, and would like to find some place close or at least somewhat convenient to sneak away on Friday morning to watch the US match.

It would appear that there are some bars and restaurants just to west/north/west of the park. If anyone has any experience trying to take in matches in the area.

Links on BS or elsewhere would be helpful, I really don't know where to start when it comes to Virginia Beach. Thanks

Posted by: DadRyan | June 15, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

@Jacob, I'm just thrilled to finally get out of last place. Clearly there are many better soccer minds out there than mine!

Posted by: DCUDayton | June 15, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

I guess I meant to ask about the are to the west of First Landing state park... Looks like a sports bar or two. Any place opening up early and offering food and a beverage would be awfully cool!
Thanks!

Posted by: DadRyan | June 15, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan - I used to live next to First Landing SP, its a wonderful park. You might give this place a call to see if they are opening early for the game (about a mile from the park entrance) - http://www.shorebreakvb.com/

Posted by: VTUnited | June 15, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Glenn Beck? You mean the man that thinks President Obama hates white people. You mean the man that thinks visiting cars.gov grants the government access to all your computer files. That Glenn Beck? He's an idiot. If he hates soccer then you truly know it is the beautiful game.

Posted by: croftonpost | June 15, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Joe: while I really do appreciate your work with the Wobblies, I think Slovenia will pack it in Friday and counter. Frankly, it's the right play against a team (the US) that is faster but hasn't shown a lot of firepower. They have to figure they can score on a counter or set piece. A draw puts thre pressure on the US to win against Algeria, and they know they can't beat the US going up and down. Bunkering and countering gives them a good shot at four points and maybe six. Better four points than three.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | June 15, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the tip VTUnited.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 15, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

On a tangential note, some of the US NT players (Bernstein and Donovan) note that MLS was using the new Jubilani ball since preseason this year. I wonder if that had anything to do with Troy Perkins' sudden transition from reliable, proven, international GK in the running for a NT spot to a guy misjudging balls, letting crosses fly through, mishandling balls and looking hesitant and unable to judge quickly what was happening? I know everyone plays with the same ball so I'm hesitant to say "that's the reason" but when you look at the scoring stats in the WC (with so little scores off of free kicks--usually something you'll see a lot of at that level) combined with a range of comments (including some that seem level-headed) and then the misplays of the ball by a range of reasonably solid keepers (including some that didn't result in goals), it put's Troy's early season struggles into a new perspective.

Posted by: JoeW1 | June 16, 2010 7:03 AM | Report abuse

eh, the whole "I hate soccer" thing is so tired out.

Posted by: DCB23 | June 16, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

DadRyan, you might also want to give this place a call. http://www.greenoakpub.com/ They are not too far from Shorebreak mentioned by VTUnited. They are supposed to be a little soccer pub and my friend had spoken to the owner once. Might be worth a shot.

Posted by: BlackAndRed337 | June 16, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Just watched the DCU World Cup "trash talking" video. Does Najar not speak English? I've noticed the all, if not the majority of interviews with him are done in Spanish.

Just surprised considering he went to high school in Alexandria, where I'm pretty sure English is the preferred language of choice in class...

Posted by: Dynaformer | June 16, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse