A few minutes with U.S. soccer coach Bob Bradley

Just a few minutes before Spain-Germany kickoff, I was able to catch U.S. men's national team coach Bob Bradley to talk with him for an article on the future of the U.S. senior team that will run in the next few days.

Toward the end of our conversation, I asked Bradley about his own future with the team and if he or the U.S. Soccer Federation are any closer to a decision.

"I think we're in the midst of all of that," Bradley said. "Whenever there has been a four-year effort on both sides there is a little time that's needed to look at things, to talk to some different people, to assess options and I've had some different conversations, one with Sunil Gulati and one with [U.S. soccer secretary general] Dan Flynn, so I think we're moving through that period and we'll see where it gets everybody."

I asked Bradley if things had slowed down for him at all since returning home.

"We're back earlier than we wanted," he said. "But [I've] been able to pick things up on on the work side, I've been able to watch games. So I'm doing fine."

More after the jump...

I can't share too much about the rest of the interview (you'll have to actually read the article when it comes out!), but during the course of the discussion regarding players who may be more involved in the senior team moving forward I asked Bradley if there were any specific names he might be willing to divulge.

Bradley was hesitant to say much as to not make big statements about the individual players themselves, but said that those involved in the January camp and El Salvador friendly were good indications of players with whom U.S. soccer has started an evaluation process.

"I think the best examples without me making big statements about them are just guys that for example we felt showed enough last year in MLS that we had them in January camp and then they begin that process," Bradley said. "Two examples, and you can look at that January roster and the roster for the El Salvador game, but two examples are guys like Omar Gonzalez and Chris Pontius. We have already started that process when we get a group together in January to look at players that now have done well in MLS and have earned the right to be in camp, and then we make decisions in that moment as to where they are in the process."

Finally, I asked Bradley if he cared to make a prediction just a few minutes before the Spain-Germany semifinal.

"I'm done with predictions. I picked Brazil so I'm done and now I can just enjoy the games," he said.

By Paul Tenorio  |  July 7, 2010; 2:35 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , D.C. United , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Spain vs. Germany in World Cup 2010 semifinal
Next: Spain vs. Germany: World Cup final set as Spain wins, 1-0

Comments

Hope you asked about player selection, I still have not heard why Clark was considered a better option in that game. I am not trying to second guess, but would like to hear his rationale.

Posted by: lrg123123 | July 7, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Bradley said after the game that Edu had tired legs from the previous game, so Clark started because he was fresher.

Posted by: topoak | July 7, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I think BB should run for office. He often says a lot of words but they don't contain very much information.

Here are my three questions for BB:

1) Why wasn't the central midfield pairing with Michael Bradley settled before the World Cup began?

2) Why did the US begin games so slowly (in the WC and in qualifying)?

3) Why start Findley in every WC game he was available for (as opposed to say, starting our 11 best players)?

Posted by: diego_r | July 7, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

A few minutes with former U.S. soccer coach Bob Bradley

FYP.

Posted by: kdiff813 | July 7, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Bradley's son deserves to be on the USMNT. But have you noticed that he doesn't get subbed out much. I think that leads to percpetions that aren't healthy. For that reason plus the other that most countries get a fresh start, I think he will be gone soon.

Posted by: GeneWells | July 7, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Happy to hear Pontius is in the mix

Posted by: Pete803 | July 7, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Good to hear about Omar and Party Boy as well. Both guys have had very strong starts to their MLS careers. I wish for my own greedy sake that Chris could make remarkable strides in his finishing, but I'm still confident he'll get there. He's got the tools, he just needs to stay healthy and keep working it.

Who's money is on the Galaxy twisting the dagger in the Sounders gut this evening? I hear there will be live feeds of the Open Cup match on the Gals website as well as the Sounders.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 7, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

It would be great news for those two players if BB was going to be around but that's not the case.
It will be very interesting to see the Arena cycle broken and how the new man will see things.

Posted by: euroman | July 7, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if the team's slow starts were do to a mistaken belief that the team must start conservative in order to feel out the opposition, rather than throwing bodies forward and risking a counter attack. That's a lack of confidence in our defense. And though I would rather blame Bradley because it's easier to do, I suspect his lack of confidence was somewhat justified.

Posted by: dsheon1 | July 7, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Wow... traffic's down around here for the semis.

Have to agree with the comment about Bob using a lot of words to say nothing. If the sport were more prominent, I'd say he should run for office.

Posted by: Modibo | July 7, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Pontius is one reason to continue to pay hard-earned cash money to watch the worst team in MLS . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | July 7, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

am i the only one getting the feeling from a lot of his and gulati's comments that his time is up?

Posted by: cho_kettie | July 7, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

I hope BB is not rehired. Look at Brazil, they let Dunga go. Why does US Soccer think BB will take this team any further than he did. Also, look what happened to Arena the second time around. Results were worst than the first time. We should look to see what Klinesman did for Germany. Many of his players returned and they went to the Semis. Us coaches should be building for the future and if the results during their tenure is good so be it. Don't coach only to get results. Coach to build for the future.

Posted by: galaxies42 | July 8, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

When does a coach, or politician, ever talk straight? It's called coachspeak. I seriously don't know what you all are expecting.

Posted by: Reignking | July 8, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Germany plays Spain -- and Jurgen Klinsman has left South Africa for his "home" in the USA. It's hard to conceive the German futball hierarchy banished the Deutsche legend from the stands for the semi-final. Perhaps Klinsman was more interested in something occurring in this country. Something like the USSF discussions over who will coach the USA for the 2014 WC cycle. If USSF simply wanted his opinion on the subject, a phone call from South Africa would do. But job negotiations? These require a personal appearance. Or maybe Klinsman just wanted to get back to balmy LA and watch Germany-Spain on TV in air-conditioned comfort.

Posted by: runningcloud | July 8, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

flush the entire team and start over with new players and coaches --- can't do any worse this this bunch of losers

Posted by: bestmick1 | July 8, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

bestmick1,

What would your roster of 23 entirely new players look like right now? Please, I'd like to know. Give us the names.

Posted by: michanikos1 | July 8, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: runningcloud | July 8, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I said the same thing yesterday watching the pregame with my dad. He noticed it said L.A. underneath his name and questioned it. I said, job negotiations with the USMNT, I bet.

Posted by: mercurysnake77 | July 8, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I've never been crazy about Dempsey. Not sure why really. Just not on my favorite players list over the years.

But I have to admit I love the Were-Dempsey that showed up in the World Cup, howling down the pitch like a thing possessed with blood on his muzzle.

Whatever bit him, did him a lot of good.

Posted by: ldmay | July 8, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Points made by couple entrys. Clark was in the lineup because it make Michael look good and also he will not have to sub his son. BB said Edu had heavy legs because if he was in the lineup Michael would not be the star.

It would have been interesting if he had started two other midfielders beside Michael and Ricardo.

Posted by: galaxies42 | July 8, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse