Bob Bradley will guide USA vs. Brazil

Bob Bradley will coach the U.S. national team against Brazil on Aug. 10 at the new Meadowlands stadium and talks concerning his long-term future will resume shortly thereafter, the U.S. Soccer Federation said today.

Bradley's contract expires in December, and the USSF has yet to decide whether to offer him a new deal.

Two days after the Americans were eliminated from the World Cup in South Africa, federation president Sunil Gulati said he wasn't sure if the coaching situation would be settled ahead of the Brazil game.

Bradley is tentatively scheduled to announce his roster for the Brazil match early next week. Ticket sales have surpassed 44,000.

By Steve Goff  |  July 29, 2010; 2:18 PM ET
Categories:  Brazil , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: Bob Bradley, Brazil, U.S. national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday kickaround: MLS all-stars outclassed by Manchester United, Sounders win, Freedom loses
Next: Weekend soccer TV: MLS, friendlies, Mexico, WPS

Comments

I bet he starts Clint Dempsey in midfield and moves him up to forward in the second half!

Posted by: diego_r | July 29, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

i bet blog people will complain about his team selection and tactics!

Posted by: stairs | July 29, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

i bet blog people will complain about his team selection and tactics!

Posted by: stairs | July 29, 2010 1:30 PM

And we're done. Close Thread.

Posted by: JkR- | July 29, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone else surprised we have not seen any USMNT players announce their retirements from the national team? I'm looking at you Steve Cherundolo, Carlos Bocanegra, and Brian Ching in particular ...

Posted by: jofij | July 29, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I think any of those guys will probably wait til after the Gold Cup. Can't convince me Stevie C won't still be more effective than Spector by then.

I'm fine with Bradley coaching this game. Even if they keep him through October friendlies and until the contract runs out, then bring in a new coach in January, he'll have a couple of friendlies and a nice lonnnnnng camp to get used to the guys and the guys get used to him before the Copa Oro.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 29, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

@jofij why would they retire? They can all still be very effective players during this cycle, even if they likely wont make it to 2014. Beyond that, their influence as mentors for younger players could be quite valuable.

Posted by: VTUnited | July 29, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Since the Fulham job has fallen through...

Posted by: Reignking | July 29, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I am cool with this. I am still fine with him leading us through the next cycle even though I have reservations about keeping a coach for two. Still though, I don't see any coach currently out there who offers something better than Bradley. Also, we have to operate in under the reality that USA is not Spain, so we have to get a coach whose tactics will work for us. Yes, I do mean a team that plays defensively.

Since I missed all the fun on the last blog I am going to jump in. I can't wait to read Igm6986 take on this development. I assume he dislikes it. If you hate hypocrisy and public grandstanding from US soccer officials I can only imagine your take on politics.

Also, Fischy. I am not sure if Hernandez was off. The replays just blew by it real fast and never provided a clear shot but it looked to me that the right back, whoever it was at that time, was late stepping up. In addition, John Harkes said he was offside and I usually assume the truth is that opposite of he (or Lalas) just said. The same works for CBC NFL announcer Phil Sims. In retrospect, I pretty much dislike all American sports commentators, to include the idiot that is Joe Buck.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 29, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Brian Ching don't owe nobody nothing except his best effort every time he pulls on the shirt.

Which was several times too few in 2010 in my estimation.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 29, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I might've missed this earlier, but WOW:

Niedermeier leads DC to U-17 title
weyoungunswintrophies!

D.C. United goalkeeper Dakota Niedermeier turned in a performance for the ages on Thursday, stopping five straight penalty kicks and converting the game-winner in a nine-round shootout as D.C. won its third SUM Cup title in four years and second in a row with a heart-stopping 5-4 shootout win over Real Salt Lake after a 0-0 tie.

Posted by: Reignking | July 29, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

grubbs: This event as presently constituted is a fraud.

Posted by: Reignking | July 29, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I dont agree with "change for the sake of change", so if they dont find someone better than Bob (Klinsi), he should at least get a 2 year extension. say what you will about the rash of early game lapses, the players fought for the guy every game. would they do that for some Euro merc? probably not.

Posted by: VTUnited | July 29, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Reignking. Amazing link. I watched some of the MILK cup game yesterday and the kid with DC United has talent too. I love that DC has what appears to be a great academy system. I guess we can give the FO credit for that.

I agree that it is all a fraud...haha But I am a young, radical, political theorist who is obsessed with critical theory, hermeneutics, and post-modern methodologies. Glenn Becks anti-thesis per say.....

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 29, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

i bet blog people will complain about his team selection and tactics!

Posted by: stairs | July 29, 2010 1:30 PM

And we're done. Close Thread.

Posted by: JkR- | July 29, 2010 1:35 PM

here, here!

BBs 12-14-4 (W-L-T) against WC teams (four of those wins v honduras...just saying) and 1 win in 10 tries against the best teams (1-7-2 v seeded teams in WC) speaks for itself. not to mention a journey to the SECOND ROUND of WC!

clearly beyond reproach! we shall never speak of it again!!!

Posted by: rainORshine | July 29, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 29, 2010 2:26 PM
===================

In other words, grubbs, you're going to be unemployed and us "workers" will be paying for your health care and social security benefits.

Then again, you could always start a blog -- say, something that allows reporters with a political bent to communicate their ideas with one another?

:-)

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | July 29, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Basta! At the WC Honduras lost to Chile 1-0, lost to Spain (which seemed to be a decent side, yes??), and tied Switzerland. Is that really that disgraceful of a showing? Fine, they didn't score; nonetheless, I don't think they're so bad that US wins against them need to be asterisked.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | July 29, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

It would be an absolutely tragic mistake to re-hire Bradley. He did not have a good WC. He blew it. We had an easy way to the semi finals. We should have beaten Ghana easily. His team constantly fell behind in games, and had to play catch up. Even in WC qualifing. He played wrong personel in wrong positions. and always had to re-adjust. Eventually it caught up with him (after all, we weren't playing an El Salvador or Guatamala). We need a new coach to take us to the next level. And that man is Jurgen Klinsmann. He lives in the US, speaks perfect English, knows the US system, has international coaching experince, and can develop an exciting, attacking team! USSF needs to hire him right away, and give him full control. It's a no brainer. Let's stop being satified with mediocre performances! We are a nation of 300 million people. We can do better. Let's not have to endure another 4 years of Bradley's boring, inconsistant style, please!

Posted by: drphillips44 | July 29, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fallschurch1 | July 29, 2010 2:52 PM
=====================

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | July 29, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I think Bradley already announced Ching's retirement for him.

------------------

Posted by: jofij | July 29, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: neil_g | July 29, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

There are at least two reasons I would like Bradley to move on. The first is the line up against Ghana was a joke and this is a trend in my mind. He stuck with an ineffective starting 11. Playing Clark and Findley at that point was just plan stupid. The final reason is that I do not think he does a good job of promoting fresh talent into the team. I know that Rongen is the most highly regarded coach in the US soccer system, but look at the Milk Cup Roster for the U20's. I like the fact that he is trying to look at fresh players and I especially like the fact that he incorporated more Latino players. I do not think we can reach our potential with coaches like Arena and Bradley. They both did a great job of creating a winning atmosphere, but it is time the men's team look outside of MLS for influences such as Klinsman.

Posted by: no_recess | July 29, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

What's the going rate for an experienced national team coach from Europe. Bob makes roughly 500K/ year form USSF. Whom can USSF afford to hire in the 500K-1M range?

Finances aside, Bob's job rating (to me) is beyond just satisfactory. He deserves a contact entension. Having a coach take is to the next level is nice, if one can define "next level."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 29, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

:-)

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | July 29, 2010 2:52 PM

Most likely, or I will become a government employee. I mean its worked out pretty well as my summer gig.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 29, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

"He did not have a good WC. He blew it. We had an easy way to the semi finals. We should have beaten Ghana easily." drphillips44

How did we have a bad WC? I don't understand this logic. We finished top of the group for the first time.

“We had an easy way to the semi finals”

Yes it was the easiest road to the semi-final of all the other roads but this is really just crazy talk. To say this delegitimizes Ghana, who are a very good team. Compare the two rosters and you will find little room separating US and Ghana. On top of that, Uruguay had quality all over the park and would have been a very tough opponent for ourselves. I mean our defense struggled through the center, you think we could handle Forlan and Saurez with ease? questionable.

You can argue that Bob shouldn't be rehired because of his tactics or his loyalty to Clark. Those are fine. But don't marginalize opposition to make him look bad. It is just plain baseless.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 29, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: grubbsbl
======

I think that's what Rand-al-Thor meant by "us 'workers' will be paying for your health care and social security benefits."

BTW Rand-a-T, thanks for the health care and SS benefits.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 29, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I thought Klinsman, Quiros, and a bunch of other big names turned down the US job in 2006, because the US Soccer Federation could not meet their salary demands. Maybe Klinsman is willing to work for less now, but I doubt that he would take $500K - $1M. Bradley may not be the greatest coach, but he sure is a bargain at $500K. After all, Capello was paid $9M/year, and he did not do all that well, either. Plus Bradley strikes me as a pretty smart guy. His biggest problem was a lack of experience at the WC level. So maybe he would do better the second time around.

Posted by: jack35 | July 29, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

re-posting interesting Balto Sun stadium link from lgm

At the risk of being negative or complaining, from today's Sun paper:

Posted by: lgm6986 | July 29, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | July 29, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fallschurch1 | July 29, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

would strongly disagree that CONCACAF teams other than US/MEX are not 2nd rate BY WC STANDARDS. since field expanded in 98 the 'others' have 2 wins in 15 games (2-10-3) jamaica over japan in 98 and costa rica over china in 02. while it is clear that the AFC teams have made huge strides since then (s. korea and japan advancing to 2nd round) it is equally clear that teams like honduras and costa rica have not. decent teams, just not by WC standards.

so yes, i think its a valid point to mention 1/3 of BBs wins v WC teams are against honduras.

the point is that there are folks who come on here and insinuate that questioning BB and his choices is something akin to treason. support BB if you will, but denying that there is ANY GROUNDS to criticize demonstrates a clear failure to exercise critical thinking, let alone subjective analysis of his product...

cheers

Posted by: rainORshine | July 29, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

It is my understanding Klinnsman turned us down because he was not given 100% control from U-15s to Senior National Team, like he was in Germany, not over salary. The USSF has cash. I'm not worried about that. Especially with the prices their getting for this game, which I said right away to my brother were designed to help fill the coffers for such a hire.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 29, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: grubbsbl
======

BTW Rand-a-T, thanks for the health care and SS benefits.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 29, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Brilliant

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 29, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

It wasn't money why Klinsmann turned down the job. It was Gulati not wanting to give him full control of US soccer program. As for experience, Bruce Arena had experince in 2002, got us to the quarter finals (better than Bradley did). Then in 2006 what did we do? 3 and out! Time for a change. 4years is enough. Time for a fresh face. Time for a real coach, with International big game experience, and a master techtician that knows how to develop players. That person is Jurgen Klinsmann. Give him control and he'll take the job.

Posted by: drphillips44 | July 29, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

What exactly has Kali Klinsi done in his career that makes people think he can take us "to the next level"?

-Placed third in the WC at home, with most of the actual prep and tactics done by Loew, when Klinsmann has been acknowledged as being more of a motivator and cheerleader

-Completely turned over the coaching staff at Bayern, causing friction with management

-Lost in the quarters of the DFB Pokal and UCL

-Fired in April because of a string of bad losses that would have left Bayern out of the UCL

He completely underachieved with the talent die Roten had at their disposal relative to the rest of the Bundesliga.

Asides from speaking with a foreign accent, this man has done absolutely nothing in career worth believing he has some vaunted "magic Euro dust".

Posted by: Josh86 | July 29, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm OK with Bob Bradley coaching against Brazil. I'd like the USSF to make a broad search for a coach and take their time to get the best available. If that's Bradley, fine.

But I think he's a bit too wedded to the idea of playing a counterattacking 4-4-2 with 2 d-mids (or a 4-5-1 when our forwards are mostly injured or just not very good). One of the d-mids in his lineup must be Michael Bradley. His son's talent and contributions merit inclusion in the team but it seems Coach Bradley is always struggling to find exactly the identity of the other central midfielder who would fit that role.

Doesn't matter if he tries Ricardo Clark, Maurice Edu, Jose Torres, Benny Feilhaber, or the other guys he tried in the past cycle, he never seems to quite find the right player. I think he's too locked into that formation and the team would benefit from adding a creative mid.

I'm not sure if Bradley would use a player like Xavi because he doesn't fit the normal lineup.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 29, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lgm6986 | July 29, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Dom Kinnear.

Posted by: lgm6986 | July 29, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Dom Kinnear.

Posted by: lgm6986 | July 29, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

LGM,

you seem to have a keyboard at your disposal.

Josh86,

way to selectively cherry pick and denigrate someone's experience in an attempt to place him in the worst light possible.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 29, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

No duh.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 29, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Yura with another brace today in a loss.

Parkhurst goes 90 in a 0-1 loss to Sporting Lisbon.

Posted by: Reignking | July 29, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lgm6986
====

:-)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 29, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Rossi hat trick vs. Tottenham :)

Posted by: Reignking | July 29, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Nice signing, Seattle. Alvaro Fernandez of Uruguay.

Posted by: Reignking | July 29, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

@lgm6986
Obviously, it's only OK to be negative when you are pointing out someone else's negativity. Duhhhhhh
Its kinda like being married.

Posted by: marksman37 | July 29, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

How close is Yura to citizenship? Are we talking Gold Cup or Qualies?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 29, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Yura...Yura...not good.

Posted by: Reignking | July 29, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Good question JfA-ish. Wikip states that he moved to the US in "late 2001 or 2002." I't unclear whether he came over with a green card or not (I know, they haven't been green since around 1980), but if he did, he should be eligible to apply for citizenship. Although he was born in Azerbaijan, he considers himself Armenian. Oh heck, why don't I just link to his Wiki page.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 29, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I know he's stated his desire to play for us more than once, and I'd love for him to, just know that having moved out of the country could likely mess up that process.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 29, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Sounders sign 24 year-old Uruguayan Alvaro Fernandez, who played four matches in the WC, as a DP. I don't know much about this guy, but a 24 y.o. midfielder seems like a tremendous coup. I'm tending to agree with those who DC's recent scouting trips to South America have been fruitless (hoorya, a 37 y.o. defender!).

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 29, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

..then again, Seattle will be his sixth club since 2007.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 29, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Here's an interview with Yura from July 2009. He said he expected his Green Card within 2-3 months, and his citizenship with 2 years.

However, in the mlssoccer.com article linked to at the bottom his Wikipedia page, he says the move the Denmark has slowed down the process. So hopefully it will come through in plenty of time for him to integrate with the team during the 2014 cycle, but who knows?

Posted by: BooThisMan | July 29, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Klinsmann was fired at Bayern Munich for mostley political reasons. The Germans thought he was too"American". Didn't like him commuting between Germany and California. As far as the German National team. He rebuilt that team after disasterous showings in 2004 Euro tourneys. Leow was his understudy. Klinsmann made Germany into the exciting attacking power it is today. Yes, they only finished 3rd. But a lot of people thought they wouldn't even get out of their group in 06. If you listened to Klinsmann's commentary on ESPN you could not help but be impresssed with his knowledge of the game. Have you ever heard Bradley interviewed? He is a colassol bore. No charisma, no great knowledge of the game, horrible motivator. If US soccer chooses him for another 4 years, they are complete idiots.

Posted by: drphillips44 | July 29, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Yura has a green card. He came to the USA as an asylee and get a P-1 visa through MLS. He is a native of Azerbajan (sp?) but repudiates that. He claims Armenia as his homeland (notice the flag he draped arounf himself after the Cup final victory).

Posted by: mightymax | July 29, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lgm6986 | July 29, 2010 4:38 PM
------------------

I'm pretty sure he's a big Bruce Springsteen fan.

I do think that World Cup coaches should be judged by their performance at the World Cup and the starting line-up against Ghana was inexplicable.

Posted by: rightback | July 29, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: drphillips44 | July 29, 2010 5:35 PM |

yeah, I know that Bill Belichick guy from the NFL is loaded with charisma, and look where it got him. and how do you know that Bradley doesn't posess a "great knowledge of the game". from what I read, he is quite well verseed in the history of the sport. and I dont think you can criticize his motivation skills when the team managed to fight for 90+ minutes in all 4 WC games - whether or not the deficits in most of those games had to do with motivation or just poor player performance is still up for debate. I'm inclined to think it was the latter.

Posted by: VTUnited | July 29, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

well played lgm

I disagree with one or two of Bradley's selections and his Ghana roster but I'm still a very respectful and grateful fan.

And I'd be totally fine with Klinsman, I mean seriously, who wouldn't? If you think he didn't turn around the Germans and put them on the path they continued on through 2010, you're in the distinct minority. Loew was his understudy, not the other way around.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 29, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Complainig about Bradley is not enough in my opinion. Most countries would have fired their national coach after the kind of performance that Bradley put up in the WC. That's the problem with US soccer. We are willing to put up with half hearted efforts and nice tries. It's time to revamp the whole system. Remember we got to the Round of 16 in 1994. It's 16 years later. Same result. In fact worse than 2002 (when we reached the quarter finals). Where's the improvement? Fire Bradley and hire Klinsmann now.

Posted by: drphillips44 | July 29, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: drphillips44 | July 29, 2010 5:57 PM

then you should be complaining about Gulati and US Soccer, not Bob Bradley. and most countries, as you said, would have been thrilled to win a group that included England. and to say anyting about the US2010 WC effort was "half hearted" means you probably didn't watch the games.

Posted by: VTUnited | July 29, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: drphillips44

Oh no! He's boring!

Results don't matter, I suppose.

Posted by: Reignking | July 29, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

All this talk about negativity calls to mind one of my favorite lines of all time:

The late Spiro T. Agnew: "Nattering nabobs of negitivism."

Genius. A spasm of lucidity for the late VP.

Posted by: mightymax | July 29, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

"Lot of complaining about Bob on this thread. I'd really like to see something positive written about him for a change of pace."

He's never submitted a dry-cleaning bill to USSF.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | July 29, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

He's from New Jersey, but doesn't have poofy or slicked back hair.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 29, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

He's from New Jersey, but doesn't have poofy or slicked back hair.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 29, 2010 6:13 PM

also, bonus for not having a stupid nickname like "the circumstance"

Posted by: VTUnited | July 29, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Genius. A spasm of lucidity for the late VP

Agnew said it, but I'm pretty sure that William Safire ghostwrote that line.

Posted by: BooThisMan | July 29, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

BTM: Probably right. Good shout.

Posted by: mightymax | July 29, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 29, 2010 5:32 PM
--------------------------------------------------

Pena didn't come from a scouting trip. I'm pretty sure Moreno hooked us up with his old mate.

Fernandez, in my opinion is a real coup. He should have a much bigger impact than Boskovic.

Megaprops to DCU's U17s for winning the SUM title. What a game for Goalie Dakota Niedermeyer! Niedermeyer? Niedermeyer! "Put Neidermeyer on it. He's a sneaky little sh!+. Just like you."

Posted by: fischy | July 29, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Hernadez, you mean?

I agree. He's look really solid.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 29, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Movsisyan may be of Armenian ethnicity from Nagorno-Karabakh, a mostly Armenian enclave now independent (after a war) within the borders of Azerbaijan. That could explain why he came here for asylum.

Posted by: b18bolo | July 29, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fallschurch1 | July 29, 2010 2:52 PM

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor

Especially after we beat them away to seal a birth in the finals.

Posted by: delantero | July 29, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

No surprise here..it's (mediocre) business as usual at U> Soccer...

Posted by: cidcamp70 | July 30, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

No surprise here..it's (mediocre) business as usual at US Soccer

Posted by: cidcamp70 | July 30, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Hernadez, you mean?

I agree. He's look really solid.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 29, 2010 9:22 PM
------------------------------------------------------

No. Alvaro Fernandez. Seattle's latest DP.

Posted by: fischy | July 30, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I have a vague idea about birthing seals, but...How do you seal a birth?

Posted by: fischy | July 30, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Bob: If you and your son want him to continue on the USMNT, you need to quit. It doesn't look right with you never subbing Michael Bradley out.

Posted by: GeneWells | July 30, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Brasil is bring Duck (Pato) and Goose (Ganso). We need to start nicknaming our players after wildlife and monsters before we belong on the field with Brasil.

Posted by: GeneWells | July 30, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: GeneWells
==========

Yeah. That Slovenia game was pure nepotism.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 30, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: GeneWells
==========

Yeah. That Slovenia game was pure nepotism.

==========

My one and only reason for wanting Bob gone is so we don't have to read the same ridiculous comments over and over again.

Posted by: michanikos1 | July 30, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Michael Bradley is a great player. But to avoid the perception of favoritism it is better for Bob Bradley to go - that plus the fact that most coaches doen't get to coach two World Cups unless they did great things in their first World Cup.

Posted by: GeneWells | July 30, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GeneWells | July 30, 2010 1:28 PM

yeah winning the group was such a terrible accomplishment. it also looks really bad when you leave the most consistent field player on the team in for 90 every game.

Posted by: VTUnited | July 30, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GeneWells | July 30, 2010 1:28 PM

Posted by: VTUnited | July 30, 2010 2:01 PM

dont really see how 'winning the group' qualifies as an accomplishment unless you take advantage of it by winning the next game. it was clear the team had blow its collective ... to get out of group (and HAPPENED to win group) and did not have enough left in the tank to emerge from a very winnable 2nd round game...

by all measures the team met MINIMUM expectations. no more, no less...

Posted by: rainORshine | July 30, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

by all measures the team met MINIMUM expectations. no more, no less...

Posted by: rainORshine | July 30, 2010 3:44 PM

not to argue samantics, but the minimum expectation would have been to finish 2nd, and they finished 1st in the group, for the first time since 1930. the fact that they could not take advantage of that does qualify as a disapointment for sure, but advancing to the round of 16 is still a significant accomplishment for US Soccer. moving forward, it shouldn't be, but as of 2010, it still was.

Posted by: VTUnited | July 30, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Next level defined is: serious contender to gut US to the Final Four. Klinsmann will do that, not Bradley. Besides 4 years is enough. We rewarded Arena 4 years when he got us to the quarter finals and in 06 we were 3 and out. We only played half a game most times. First half horrible. Second half better. Time to play a complete game. Time for a fresh face and new approach. Hire Klinsmann!

Posted by: drphillips44 | July 30, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Of all the reasons for BB to leave, avoiding the appearance of nepotism has to be the simplest in concept. It's also just idiotic.

MB is the best box-to-box central midfielder that the US has in the player pool right now. He should play each and every minute of every game for which he is eligible and fit. Full Stop. EOM.

Posted by: mason08 | July 30, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Gulati should be fired too. Unfortunately USSF just rehired him for 4 years in March. That's another stupid policy. Why would you decide in March every 4 years BEFORE a World Cup. Wouldn't it make more sense to decide on a USSF president AFTER a World Cup? Where we could evaluate whether his decisions helped or hinderd US soccer. But then USSF never had too much sense anyway.

Posted by: drphillips44 | July 30, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

advancing to the round of 16 is still a significant accomplishment for US Soccer...

Posted by: VTUnited | July 30, 2010 3:59 PM

i just continue to be baffled by this kind of thinking. we advanced to 16 in 94. final 8 in 02. why was 16 STILL considered a 'significant accomplishment' for so many? the program will not move to 'next level' without a collective belief - especially within the program, but also among supporters - that we belong there.

BB kept expectations as low as possible - and succeeded in not embarrassing himself or the program. the generation of players lead by donovan and dempsey - and followed by guys like bradley, spector, edu, holden and feilhaber - deserved a lot more.

they deserved a chance to take a legitimate crack at a deep WC run - something not afforded them by BB...

Posted by: rainORshine | July 30, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse