Boyzzz Khumalo released by D.C. United

Boyzzz Khumalo, a South African attacker who brought speed, energy and unpredictability to D.C. United's attack but had yet to score in eight MLS appearances this season, was released today.

He had an accidental goal on a right-side cross against the Harrisburg City Islanders in a U.S. Open Cup quarterfinal last week. Since joining the club from third-division Pittsburgh in 2008, Khumalo, 29, appeared in 27 league matches and had a goal and three assists. He was set to earn $51,000 this year.

Khumalo's departure is another sign that the club plans to add Junior Carreiro, a crafty flank player who has been training with the club for several months. Carreiro, 18, is the younger brother of former DCU starter Fred, now with the Philadelphia Union.

By Steve Goff  |  July 27, 2010; 4:59 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United  | Tags: Boyzzz Khumalo, D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS news & notes
Next: Los Angeles Galaxy smashed by PR Islanders, 4-1

Comments

Hope he lands right side up. Seems like a super likable guy, and United really screwed him over with the broken arm thing last year.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 27, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

In a several-year span of acquisition fails, I think this is the first release that really bugs me. I thought Barklage was eligible to be placed on the season-ending injury list. Any idea why this was the preferred option? Hard to believe Khumalo's $51K is a major salary cap issue.

Boyzzz, you were a sparkplug in more than a few really dismal games. All the best . . .

Posted by: benonthehill | July 27, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Boyzzz. Besta luck wherever you end up.

Posted by: Juan-John1 | July 27, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

He can now play for a team more his speed.

My coed team in Arlington is looking for a player of his type.

Posted by: Hoost | July 27, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Khumalo really is an Open Cup caliber player. Fun to watch, but scoring really is pretty accidental with Boyzzz. That said, I thought he looked better than Junior when I saw them both play in a reserve game. Junior may have much more potential, but he's not ready. I said the same thing about Hamid, though...based on the same match.

Hope Boyzzz does OK. I'm guessing he'll try to make it back in South Africa.

Posted by: fischy | July 27, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Good luck to him. He certainly put a lot of effort in, even if he didn't score mich.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 27, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Ivan Guerrero part deux I just don't get it any more. lets hope that this next Brazilian doesn't flop.
booyzzzzzz, good luck

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | July 27, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Ahh! That headline just jumped out at me for some reason.

oh man...I'm bummed. Always liked Khumalo but I think fischy is spot on with respect to "accidental goals". Just never got it together.

Posted by: DCB23 | July 27, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

I know there is always the hope of unearthing some diamond in the rough or someone who's slipped through the cracks, or name your cliche about finding talented players across the US's complicated system... but there's a reason players are in third division USL, and it's not because their talents have gone overlooked.

Posted by: gmAndAguinness. | July 27, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Best of luck Boyzz, you now join the list of Riverhounds/DCU alumni ---- Thiago Martins, Greg Janicki and now you. Maybe someday soon we can add Dave Kaspar to that list.

Posted by: griffin1108 | July 27, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Fischy takes issue with himself. The rest of us just aren't fun enough anymore, I guess.

I have absolutely no issue with this move, I never thought he brought more than energy and pace, and at his advanced age, he's not getting any better. We have options in midfield at the moment that are better, and that should settle the question of his worth right there.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 27, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

What the hell??? I loved Boyzzz! I thought he was a guy who we ALWAYS underplayed. He was always creative and dangerous when we did give him a look. No, he wasn't a goalscorer, but he was a damn good setup guy.

Posted by: kdiff813 | July 27, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

I agree that Boyzz never seemed likely to be a starting caliber MLS player.

But it's still sad to see a guy go who never lacked energy and determination even after the badly botched medical treatment that led to that infection last year. At least I saw his goal that faked everyone out (including him) in the Open Cup last week.

Godspeed and good luck!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 27, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Maradona also released.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 27, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Everton reserve Anton Peterlin is set to join League One side Plymouth Argyle, contingent upon a physical. One of Plymouth's nicknames is "the Pilgrims," after people who left Plymouth (go figure). So there's an obtuse American connection.

Peterlin, 23, is California-born and raised with a Danish mother and Slovenian father and holds US and Danish citizenship.

Now you may go crazy about which national team he'll play for.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 27, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

That's great and all, but Plymouth also didn't sign Cody Arnoux, so MLS should really make an effort to bring him back to the US.

Posted by: jason1551 | July 27, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

I always liked Boyzzz. All the best. Wish DCU would have played him more.

Posted by: nairbsod | July 27, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Best of luck to Boyzzz. I enjoyed watching him wear the Black and Red. He played with heart though not enough luck. His Hell Boy impression was a sight to see last season.

Posted by: tcbannon | July 27, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else going to watch CCL tonight?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 27, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Planning for next season is fully underway. Should I start counting?

Posted by: Curious99 | July 27, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Barrett in the 20th. Assist from DeRo. Up 1-0 in the 24th in Montugua

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 27, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

"Just another terrible decision by the FO. Best wishes, Boyzzz! I hope you join another MLS team and come back to RFK and score a hat trick, just to show Chang what a bunch of goons his FO is."

Funniest post ever.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | July 27, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Bummer.

Best of luck to you Boyzzz.

Posted by: carnack | July 27, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Boyzz was always energetic and very personable. I'm sad to see him go, but if there is better talent coming, bring it. This has been the most disjointed season I can remember. I feel like this whole season has been has warm-up for next year. Work out all the bugs the rest of the season, win the USOC and then judge Olnafo. Let's kick some arse next season. Vamos United

Posted by: boda-united | July 27, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 27, 2010 5:55 PM
-----------------------------------------------

Huh? Whatchya talkin' about, Willis?

When DC was desperate for some warm bodies for game day, Kasper called up his old mates in Pittsburgh and they offered up Khumalo and Janicki. These are guys who are really USL-level talents. Neither of them belonged at MLS level. The fact that they did get considerable playing time just shows how bare DCU's cupboard has been the last few years. That said, Boyzzz was kinda exciting when he got the wind at his back. He couldn't even score on breakaways, but it was fun to watch him try.

Posted by: fischy | July 27, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

TFC wins 1-0.

Galaxy fielding a strong lineup that includes Donovan, Buddle, Berhalter, Juninho, and Franklin.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 27, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of the hard times of recent years for DCU, Goff's got a scathing piece on the problems of our beloved "crumbling institution": DC United (not RFK).

Nice read. Well done Sr. Goff.

Posted by: fischy | July 27, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

From Goff's print ed midseason cavalcade of bummery, I basically agree with Payne that it's a bit childish, this tendency of frustrated fans to call for people's heads and expect that a public hanging will make things better.

However, in this case:

1) The franchise operator made explicit promises to those same fans, i.e. we will win or clean house.

2) Numbers don't lie; DCU has not won.

3) No one points the dirty finger in the wrong direction like SeƱor Payne. If experience has taught him anything, it ought to be that he's not going to win this argument in the press.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | July 27, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Boyzzz is a great man. He came out to practice with the local DC street soccer team last year, and the players and coaches loved it. He was extremely supportive and encouraging. Thanks for supporting the community, Boyzzz! All the best, from Street Soccer DC.

Posted by: sguy1 | July 27, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Gals with all the possession and chances but PR Islanders two goals against the run of play. 2-0 PR at halftime. Entertaining game, I wish the fans would take this competition more seriously...

Posted by: rademaar | July 27, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

PR is a giant killer.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | July 27, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

""DC's salient win over Portsmouth something to build on"" from mlssoccer.com

Ha ha ha ha ha ha! Oh that makes me laugh . . . . build on?

The team's trip to DC via the UK to Edmonton to Chicago was a nightmare, even without having to play meaningful games. Build on?

Posted by: delantero | July 27, 2010 11:39 PM | Report abuse

PR is a giant killer. Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88

LA Gals are not giants. Save for James' idiotic hand ball, they would have drawn the last place team in MLS.

Posted by: delantero | July 27, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm starting to think that DC United could use Addlery back. I think the guy's got more goals in CCL play than anyone on United has ever scored. With two goals for Addlery against the Galaxy tonight -- only Andy Najar has more goals for United this year against MLS teams.

Posted by: fischy | July 27, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Humiliating loss for MLS tonight as the Galaxy had just gone down 4-0 at home when I turned it off.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 27, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

So I guess the players didn't get guaranteed contracts and can just be released at anytime? that's a BUMMER.

Posted by: mizage | July 28, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Maradona released? I wonder if DCU will sign him as a DP.

Posted by: Ron16 | July 28, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Boyzzzz on the side.

Posted by: Reignking | July 28, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Best Regards to you Boyzzz !! Of all the players that have been on the field for the past 2 or 3 years, you showed more hustle and determination than ANYBODY!! To bad those goals just didn't come for you.
I enjoyed watching you and will miss you!!

Posted by: patrick18 | July 28, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse