Brazil's roster for friendly vs. United States

Brazil's mostly young group for the Aug. 10 match vs. the Americans at the new Meadowlands stadium in New Jersey:

Goalkeepers: Andre (Santos), Jefferson (Botafogo), Victor (Gremio).

Defenders: Daniel Alves (Barcelona), Thiago Silva (AC Milan), Andre Santos (Fenerbahce), David Luiz (Benfica), Henrique (Racing Santander), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Rafael (Manchester United), Renan (Avai), Rever (Atlético Mineiro).

Midfielders: Lucas (Liverpool), Carlos Eduardo (Hoffenheim), Ederson (Lyon), Hernanes (Sao Paulo), Jucilei (Corinthians), Neymar (Santos), Ramires (Benfica), Sandro (Internacional).

Forwards: Alexandre Pato (AC Milan), Diego Tardelli (Atletico Mineiro), Paulo Henrique Ganso (Santos), Robinho (Santos).

By Steve Goff  |  July 26, 2010; 4:09 PM ET
Categories:  Brazil , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: Brazil, U.S. national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United: stadium update, Junior, injuries, movie
Next: Tuesday kickaround: D.C.'s interest in Raul? Sir Alex backs Bradley, Salgado scores, TV listings

Comments

9 defenders. Nice. Clearly, Brazil feels the need to play a 5-4-1 against us.

Posted by: benonthehill | July 26, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

looks like only 4 players from their WC roster: Dani Alves, Thiago Silva, Ramires, and Robinho

Posted by: joe_hill | July 26, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Worth it for me.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 26, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand the reason for playing this game. Further, I could so care less about it. It is just too close to the recent world Cup to generate any buzz whatsoever.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | July 26, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Gambrills, it looks like 40K+ including JfATLish beg to differ. Friendlies make money, and by the look of the ticket prices they'll be making plenty.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 26, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Reason 1: money maker for US Soccer.

Reason 2: Brazil is fun to watch in person.

Reason 3: It's good for any US national team player to compete against Brazil

Reason 4: It's a money maker for the Meadowlands stadium owners

Reason 5: People in New York/New Jersey will earn more income

Any others I'm missing?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | July 26, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Omar Salgado announces his intentions to play for the US, drops out of the Chivas academy, signs with MLS, and then scores a winning goal for the U-20s in the first game of the Milk Cup.

I like him

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 26, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Dad & Rand,

I hear you and you make good points but this just isn't doing it for me. I would rather watch a rerun of Gilligan's Island then this friendly. I would feel differently if the World Cup wasn't just finished but it just seems anti-climactic to me.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | July 26, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Now we just gotta pry Miguel Ángel Ponce away from Chivas.

Posted by: BooThisMan | July 26, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Reason 3: It's good for any US national team player to compete against Brazil
Posted by: Rand-al-Thor
======

Except Tab Ramos.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 26, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

It's 100% the money and really no other reason than for the country to get one last look at the 2010 USA WC Team and celebrate them.

Posted by: euroman | July 26, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

I-270: Or Abby Wambach. I was there, sitting behind A-Rod's family. It was horrible.

Posted by: ldmay | July 26, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Fair 'nuf, G4.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | July 26, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

9 defenders. Nice. Clearly, Brazil feels the need to play a 5-4-1 against us.
Posted by: benonthehill
===============

How do you say catenaccio in Portuguese?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 27, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse