Bryan Namoff says he hopes to play again after recovering from concussion

United defender Bryan Namoff, who announced today he was suspending his career due to the effects of a concussion he suffered in a game last September, said he hopes to recover and play again.

"I don't want to rule this out," he said at RFK Stadium before the start of D.C. United's match against the Seattle Sounders. "I definitely want to leave that opportunity open. I hope I can recover and when I do, I can assess it as soon as I can try to regain my health."

He said there's no timetable for his recovery and the doctors are focused on healing the post-concussion syndrome symptoms he's been dealing with. The process has included rest, therapy and a number of MRI exams and x-rays.

"I've gotten better but I'm not anywhere close to making a full recovery at this time," he said.

Namoff has been with the team all season but he admitted dealing with the injury has been difficult.

"Frustration is probably the weakest type of word to describe it," he said. "I feel like I've been so far apart from the game itself. Even from the teammates, when I'm still in the locker room everyday, you still kind of feel like an outsider looking in. It's not a place that I want to be in nor do I want to stay, so I am going to be confident in my recovery."

In the meantime, he'll step into the club's front office and work with General Manager Dave Kasper as a special projects manager on scouting, youth development and camp programming.

"I love the support that the organization's and my teammates have given me and the fans epecially," he said. "All of their communications, be it Twitter or on Facebook have just been fantastic; even face-to-face just telling me they're behind me and that they wish me a speedy recovery and that's what I'm going to promise them."

By Jorge Castillo  |  July 15, 2010; 7:13 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Branko Boskovic set to debut for D.C. United
Next: Weekend soccer TV listings: Friendlies, MLS

Comments

Well that sucked

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 15, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Could have used Namoff tonight. No reason to have dropped 3 points tonight. This season would be going different if he was healthy.

Jordan Graye needs to have a seat. He looks like he will be a good MLS player one day, but the careless forays into the attack really outweigh whatever defensive presence he brings. he has the confidance of Maicon going forward with the ball skills of Rico Clark. and if he could at least make an effort to recover when he messes up, Id feel better.

Posted by: VTUnited | July 15, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Yes it did. We have to be the worst home team in MLS. At this point we should play with a 4-5-1, with one new guy as the lone striker and the other as an a-mid. Bench either Pontius or Quaranta--it makes no difference--they both hustle about 25% of the time.

Posted by: dcarmy | July 15, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

The problem at the moment, my Hokie friend, is that we don't have another healthy left back to put in there. I agree he had a horrible match.

Posted by: dcarmy | July 15, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

as an admitted Q apologist, he needs to be the odd man out (for a while) with the new guys coming in. outside of the long strike that was saved, he was worse than Graye tonight.

Posted by: VTUnited | July 15, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

@dcarmy - agreed. hopefully the silver lining of the Namoff story is that they have someone in mind to help out for the rest of the season.

Posted by: VTUnited | July 15, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm a huge Tino fan, too, but after 10 seasons in MLS you have to appreciate how physical the play is going to be, stay on your feet and make a more precise pass in the final third. And absolutely no one could stay with Noonan.

Posted by: dcarmy | July 15, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

"This is serious Argy Bargy here . . " Paul Sherwen

As Renshaw head butts Dean at 40 mph in the T de France!

Posted by: delantero | July 15, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

I've never been a huge Tino fan. His only consistency is rubbing his greasy, hair gel after every mediocre effort. The quality is far and few between.

I do like our new additions, but am not sure how they are going to get us into the playoffs.

Jaime, thanks for the efforts, but time to quietly go away.

Posted by: delantero | July 15, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

I can't remember leaving RFK feeling good. Lots of green in the crowd to make it suck even more.

Andy Najar worked his tail off.

Posted by: DCB23 | July 15, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

I have never, ever, not once, seen any player dog it the way Moreno did tonight.

Old, I can certainly understand.

Slow, that's forgiveable.

Flat-out fv©ʞɪŋʛ lazy and disinterested is not what this team needs. Especially from a captain! So so so disgraceful.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | July 15, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and when the GK is 30 yards from the goal crumpled on the ground and showing no sign of getting up any time soon, could you THEN create something? Apparently not.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | July 15, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

The 85th minute defense.
What is it with the D that just breaks down at 85? Not enough gas in the tank?
Not commenting on the new signings but they looked nervous or a bit distracted? Either way, they need to move up a bit well Branko does.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | July 15, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Playoffs!?..............did you say playoffs!?................playoffs!?........talking about playoffs............playoffs!?

Posted by: croftonpost | July 15, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Boskovic was terrible. Hernandez looked alright, promising, but needs to learn how his teammates play - nothing surprising. Najar looked great and Troy looked great. I can't talk about the rest of it right now. Oi.

Posted by: desenada | July 15, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

My original post was embargoed. @Deseneda is stupid and has no idea what he is talking about

Posted by: rockotodd | July 15, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

There is no way Bronco was terrible. Maybe you should remove the upper part of your body from the part that occasionally has peanuts in it.

Posted by: rockotodd | July 15, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Uh, ok, todd. What part of my pretty general post is so crazy?

Posted by: desenada | July 15, 2010 11:39 PM | Report abuse

I see. Well, from where I sat, it appeared as though he turned the ball over virtually every time he touched it. No need to be a jerk about a difference of perspective.

Posted by: desenada | July 15, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

"What part of my pretty general post is so crazy?"

This part, "Boskovic was terrible"

Posted by: rockotodd | July 15, 2010 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Boskovic clearly has good touch, sharp passing, and superior vision. However, he seemed to lack any defensive strength and or tenacity (when the ball turned over, he was largely ineffective).

Also, few ball carrying moments.

This was just his first run out, and he could dispel all impressions, but I have a hard time thinking we have found the leader that DP spot should bring. Hernandez could yet be useful, but there is no one who has seized this team and made it their own. Our defense is fine, as good as can be hoped for, and one goof up is not the reason we lost. We lost because no one scored for us. Again.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 15, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

somehow the Flounders goal was the #4 play of the night on Sportscenter

Posted by: rockotodd | July 15, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Yeh, that sucked. Start the new guys for a few games. Boskovic and Hernandez were ok but they need more time. Najar was creative and hustling as usual. Graye is as good as we got and is hopefully paying it forward. Jaimie is done. He deserves props for his service but it was over at the end of last season.

Posted by: tcbannon | July 15, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Agree with United Demon, our defense didn't lose this game; it was a lack of a sense of urgency and also poise in tne final third. Our best player is 17 years old (the accidental signing!). Andy may not be our DP, but he is our MVP.

Posted by: dcarmy | July 16, 2010 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Ha ha, testy, I like it. Crap loss that mirrors United's crappy last few seasons.

Our additions are better than the current players, both Hernandez and Bosko. How they'll fit in is another story. This team was playing well before the break and through the break. They probably should have won tonight save for Keller's efforts and a rookie's (GRAYE!!!) mistakes.

Posted by: delantero | July 16, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Todd, if you want to convince anyone Boskovic was good, you should name some positive things he did rather than call me an idiot.

To some extent I agree that the defense didn't lose us this game - we need to score, especially when the keeper's lying on the ground faking injury far outside play. However, there was a lot of stupid passing happening in our third of the field, especially in the first half, that resulted in Seattle having far too much possession near our goal and us having far too few opportunities to threaten. A lot of that was on our defense.

Posted by: desenada | July 16, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse

somehow the Flounders goal was the #4 play of the night on Sportscenter

Posted by: rockotodd | July 15, 2010 11:56 PM

that "somehow" is that ESPN has a vested interest in touting games it broadcasts.

Posted by: sec133row5 | July 16, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Disappointing that we lost on a defensive breakdown so late in the game. But we've also only scored 1 goal in the past 4 MLS games (Najar's goal at SJ) so the offense shares a lot of the responsibility for the loss.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 16, 2010 12:28 AM | Report abuse

I admittedly am not familiar with his situation but if there is anyway the US can get Najar capped then they should do it ASAP. The kid has a chance to be something very special.

Posted by: croftonpost | July 16, 2010 12:31 AM | Report abuse

First, you are an idiot. Second, rewatch the game and you will see Branco made multiple quality touches and passes that helped spring people to no avail, wasn't his fault that our forwards wouldn't be able to score in a house of ill-repute.
Also since you don't understand footy, Graye lost the ball that lead to the Flounders goal so the blame isn't on a player that has been here for a matter of minutes but rather a player that has been a fixture in our starting lineup for months.

Posted by: rockotodd | July 16, 2010 12:32 AM | Report abuse

"...especially when the keeper's lying on the ground faking injury far outside play. "

Oh yeah, the way he faked not kicking or punting the ball rest of game. I can understand dogging Montero for diving but it's pretty stupid to suggest that a 4-time World Cup goalie with no history of diving or faking injuries would lie there unhurt while the other team lines up an easy (you'd think) shot.

Yeah DC needs more fans like you. Fail.

Posted by: Ciscokid50 | July 16, 2010 12:35 AM | Report abuse

Agree with UnitedDemon -- Bosko looked OK going forward, but his defense was really offensive. 17 year old Andy Najar played more tenacious defense after 75 minutes than Bosko ever did. He looked weak and disinterested in defense. Mostly, though, he looked out-of-shape. For all the Gomez-bashing about his poor conditioning, he always had more fitness than Bosko showed last night. Hopefully, that was due to his being in off-season condition, with next to no training. If it's more than just being in pres-season shape, he's gonna be a big disappointment.

Hernandez, on the other hand, ran his tail off and fond his way into great spots. He deserves better than he got from his mates.

I was also really disappointed in the low intelligence and classlessness exhibited by DCU fans booing Keller. At some point even the most dense fan should have realized he was really hurt, since he didn't kick the ball after his injury. He even wound up to toss one over midfield instead of punting, and the defense took all the goal kicks. It sounded like a minor league hockey arena with the echoing boos, and they were really off the mark.

Posted by: fischy | July 16, 2010 12:36 AM | Report abuse

That kind of personal attack is totally uncalled for.

Posted by: desenada | July 16, 2010 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: croftonpost | July 16, 2010 12:31 AM
------------------------------------------------------

You do know he's not even a US citizen, right? He could play at the youth level, I guess -- but he still won't be cap-tied. While Najar has a chance to be special, he is not ready for the national team...not even Honduras' national team.

Posted by: fischy | July 16, 2010 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Najar's said he's going to play for Honduras. Could still change his mind at some point I guess, but as things stand, not worth worrying about.

Y'all can all go to ****, btw. DCU does need more fans like me that go to every home game and cheer our hearts out. And fewer fans that are jerks to each other.

Posted by: desenada | July 16, 2010 12:45 AM | Report abuse

"That kind of personal attack is totally uncalled for."

Which part, you being an idiot or you not "understanding footy"?

Posted by: rockotodd | July 16, 2010 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Missed the game. No matter I guess, sounds all pear-shaped. "Marquee franchise" indeed.

Anyway, I hope to throw down a few bucks to give Donovan a hero's welcome Sunday night.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 16, 2010 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | July 16, 2010 12:49 AM | Report abuse

I have my doubts that you go to every home game

Posted by: rockotodd | July 16, 2010 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | July 16, 2010 12:36 AM | Report abuse

=====================================

Wholeheartedly agree. I was dumbfounded by the booing of Keller. Not one of our better moments.

FYI=I agree Najar isn't ready but US soccer really needs to try and get this kid in our program not Honduras's. The citizenship issue can obviously be fixed.

Posted by: croftonpost | July 16, 2010 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Only saw the last 20 or so minutes but i was a bit worried about the ease at which boskovic was getting dispossessed.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | July 16, 2010 12:57 AM | Report abuse

"From where I am sitting both comments are in the realm of "called for" and probably spot on; just because you are wrong doesn't mean its an uncalled for personal attack."

That doesn't even make sense. Anyway, if I am wrong about Boskovic having a terrible game tonight, calling me an idiot for saying so is not an appropriate response.

If Keller was actually injured, I take back about faking it, though I don't see how that makes me a bad fan. I didn't join in the boos for him. However, he certainly had a number of fantastic saves after that incident. Though Tim Howard had a great game against England after taking Heskey's studs to his chest, so, not like it's unheard of.

Posted by: desenada | July 16, 2010 12:59 AM | Report abuse

"I have my doubts that you go to every home game"

You can doubt it all you want. You've apparently decided your entire opinion of my intelligence and fandom based on my belief that Boskovic had a terrible game tonight. Or perhaps you also disagree with my initial observation that Hernandez looked promising and that Najar and Perkins looked good. Who knows? I'm done.

Posted by: desenada | July 16, 2010 1:05 AM | Report abuse

"We chanted Bryan Namoff's name for 60 seconds during the 26th minute but it didn't sound like the ESPN crew picked up on it."

SBI made notice of the chants in the Matchday commentary. Called it "classy" I believe

Posted by: Ciscokid50 | July 16, 2010 1:06 AM | Report abuse

For the record you are the first person to use the term "idiot"

Posted by: rockotodd | July 16, 2010 1:10 AM | Report abuse

df"Or perhaps you also disagree with my initial observation that Hernandez looked promising and that Najar and Perkins looked good. Who knows? I'm done."

Ohh please, no one else agrees with you that Branco had a "terrible" game so now you try to bring in Najar (our future) and Perkins??

Posted by: rockotodd | July 16, 2010 1:15 AM | Report abuse

Why can't we be friends................Why can't we be friends............Why can't we be friends............

Posted by: croftonpost | July 16, 2010 1:23 AM | Report abuse

Cause we aren't going to make the playoffs so we have a need to lash out.

Posted by: rockotodd | July 16, 2010 1:25 AM | Report abuse

People who booed are lame. Keller didn't kick the ball the rest of the game. Obviously there was a problem--who would take the act that far, in a tie game, for no reason?

I applauded instead, what else was there to do?

I thought SFC was a bit chippy tonight, and got away with some sheet. But they (Keller included) scratched out a win. DCU managed to make them look good in stretches, which few other teams have done this season.

16 played. 3 wins. Nowhere to go but up.

@Anyone who watched at home: It sure looked like Hernandez earned a penalty, and before that, at LEAST two players holding him onside on his first shot (two players in the goal mouth, plus Keller?).

Wondering what it looked like on TV.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | July 16, 2010 1:29 AM | Report abuse

Cause we aren't going to make the playoffs so we have a need to lash out.

Posted by: rockotodd | July 16, 2010 1:25 AM | Report abuse

==============================

Posted by: croftonpost | July 16, 2010 1:31 AM | Report abuse

We need to start playing a 4-2-3-1:

Perkins
Devon-James/Pena-Yak-Graye (until Wallace is healthy; then he goes in on the left and McTavish and Graye share RB)
Simms-Morsink
Najar-Boskovic-Quaranta/Pontius
Hernandez/Allsopp

At this point, I'd say we are deep in terms of having decent talent across the board, but no game-changers and certainly no stars. I'd like to see us get a DP defender and then a DP striker, now that the transfer window has opened. I didn't get to see the game tonight (I asked the wife to DVR it while I was out and she forgot, d'oh!), but I assume Boskovic is at least good enough to warrant starting over our other midfielders. With his alleged creative abilities combined with Najar and Pontius flanking him, a DP striker should be able to get the necessary service to score goals in bunches. I don't get why the 4-2-3-1 is so underused; I think it has to be the most effective system, if you're playing with a target striker. It provides the necessary cover at the back with 4 defenders and 2 holding middies, but also allows 4 permanently in attack and lets the holding mids and outside backs go forward, since there are so many other guys to track back and cover for them.

Look, at 3-10-2, we don't have a lot of options. I, for one, would like to have some good old-fashioned midfield dominance with 5 guys hanging around there, but also be able to cover at the back. With a proper striker in there, we could do some serious damage out of the 4-2-3-1. Let's try it. Get on board, FO and Onalfo.

Posted by: kdiff813 | July 16, 2010 1:47 AM | Report abuse

rockotodd, grow up.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | July 16, 2010 2:17 AM | Report abuse

Issue: Accountability by upper management for this situation.

I don't want to be cited as a complainer as I have been in the past, but I don't want to avoid the facts. This team and the organization behind it are failing in a prolonged and colossal way. How it is unreasonable to foresee major changes at the decision-making level? To not make significant changes as such flies in the face of every sports team model thourghout the world.

Posted by: lgm6986 | July 16, 2010 6:34 AM | Report abuse

I haven't seen the replays yet, but on the "penalty" for Hernandez it looked like a pretty big dive to me. He was diving all over the place which is part of why he didn't get that call. At least he looks like a big, strong guy instead of the fleas we were signing for so many years.

I will agree that Tino needs to sit for a while.

And while I generally like what Graye has given us as a rookie (I think he's started and played 90 in almost every match this season in all competitions) he does not hustle to get back on defense after he goes forward.

We started out the game looking pretty good and the 2nd half as well. Just couldn't sustain it. There isn't a whole lot of moving off the ball.

I think the jury is out on Boscovic. He didn't look like a dominating player for sure. But it will take some time to gel the new guys into the team. It has to be bad news for Allsopp that we have another new forward and that Cristman seems to be preferred to him.

Posted by: fedssocr | July 16, 2010 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Najar was great, linking up well with Tino and creating excitement every time he got the ball.

Branko at this point looks like a 1-touch passer in the mold of Rosicky for Arsenal, and the question is can our forwards like Christman (whose first touch bounces 20yds away and require a 5 step run on to get to the ball they played to themselves) handle a 1-touch passing game? It looks clearly like Tino, Hernandez, and Najar can. Simms can't. He needs to first touch it then backpass to the goalie.

Jaime's role in this offence was to receive and control, and aid the transition forward. He did that well. With these new guys we will be likely moving away from 1 man control and towards quick one touch passing. This is going to take time to get down.

I was disturbed by the ESPN commentators calling our team moving towards a defensive, counter attacking style. Le puke.

Graye needs to work on passing and crossing, and I don't think he is a winger type able to breakdown a back on the dribble. Maybe give and go with him is the way to move forward. I do not want him crossing the ball.

James and Jacko are really fantastic in the back. Hats off to the defense.

Posted by: Wiggan | July 16, 2010 7:33 AM | Report abuse

First game I've been able to go to in a while. Started out excited to see our new players; ended up underwhelmed. Hernandez didn't seem to be on the same page with anyone. Boskovic looked ok, but he quit as soon as he lost the ball.

Both Jaime and Clyde looked a touch slow. And Graye is a work in progress to be certain.

I do love Najar. He is not only talented but plays smart and has a great work ethic. I predict good things for him,wherever he chooses to play.

Booing Keller is wrong. Just plain wrong.

Posted by: ldmay | July 16, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

So, I guess DCU's going to get the points they need to make the play-offs on the road?

Lack of fall-back excuses in 2010: No CONCACAF, No SuperLiga.

However, in the most sinisterly disengenuous statement in recent memeory, DCU has stated that it is a very high priority to win the USOC. Imagine that: subjugating the domestic league season for a competition in which the performance is measured against the likes of the Richmond Kickers and the Harriburg City Islanders and where the player pool for winning it is a measly 100K.

Reason: DCU sees itself as an international brand (I suppose that aspect of this organization's reputation isn't in the dumper yet) and USOC is the path of least resistance to getting back into meaningful competition with well-known international teams.

Flaw in the reasoning: SO IS MLS!!!

Posted by: lgm6986 | July 16, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Although I like Graye he was awful last night. He would not stop turning the ball over in the defensive third and honestly Seatlle was not pressuring him all that much. Simms was the same way. He could not clear a ball to save his life. I think Onalfo is a big reason we lost also. He subbed out McT and guess where the late goal came from, the DCU's right flank. He did not start either new acquisition and neither really got acclimated to the game. I think both Boskovic and Hernandez stunk last night. I hope they get better as time goes on so we'll see. Clearly Onalfo and the front office did this team no favors. Onalfo is over his head just like Soehn and the front office did not give him much talent to work with. I really think this season is a waste unless we can win another US Open Cup and even that is not much of a consilation.

Posted by: no_recess | July 16, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

While the outcome was disappointing, I say just relax, have a beer and chalk this season, next season, and maybe the season after that to a "work in progress." What? Me worry? Hang in there, baby.
BTW - has anyone heard the status of Emilio since he was knocked out? Did get get a concussion?

Posted by: nairbsod | July 16, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

I feel the earth move under my feet
I feel the sky tumbling down
I feel my heart start to trembling
Whenever you're around.
--Carole King

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 16, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

'Cause the walls start shaking
The earth was quaking
My mind was aching
And we were making it and you -

Shook me all night long
Yeah you shook me all night long
--AC/DC

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 16, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jpeace121 | July 16, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

lgm, seems like the perfect time to call those things into question.

I saw the injured list yesterday -- I had no idea DCU was missing so many players. Tough to gel when most of them are injured.

Posted by: Reignking | July 16, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Sad news about Emilio. The writing was on the wall and he wasn't likely to be a great offensive contributor again but it's still cruel that his DC career ended with a concussion in front of a small US Open Cup crowd on a hot day.

We've got 1 goal in our past 4 league games and are releasing the guy who scored 41 league goals in 3 seasons. A good illustration of how things can go pear shaped!

DC United sucks this year. There was never a point in the offseason where it looked like the front office had made improvements over last season's underwhelming team - so no one should be surprised.

While we've improved since about the AC Milan game we've only gotten good enough to be competitive for 90 minutes, not good enough to reel off an improbably long winning streak that would get us into the playoff picture.

For DC United, the competitive part of the 2010 MLS regular season has been over for several weeks. Now we can play the spoiler role, watch some of our younger players develop and see if we can pull another trophy out of the slightly competitive US Open Cup.

And RockoTodd needs to stay away from the keyboard. Just stand in the corner with your nose pressed against the wall for the rest of our games this season.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 16, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

thanks, jp. sad news, indeed. One stat that struck me from watching last night: last year we were 2nd in scoring, this year (so far) we're dead last. I know we shored up our defense, but we need some GOALS.

Posted by: nairbsod | July 16, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

"Jaime's role in this offence was to receive and control, and aid the transition forward."

He was lined up at striker, he refused to move his feet the entire time he was in, and did not once pressure the ball or stretch the opposing defense in any way (those have been the foundations of DCU's success from day one). Basically, he was the Emilio '09 model with four flat tires. Does "control" mean, "hold the ball with your head down until the defense picks your pocket?"

You simply can't afford to sacrifice a position on the field like that--not against a team of professional athletes.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | July 16, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse