D.C. United signs forward Pablo Hernandez (UPDATED)

D.C. United has signed Argentine forward Pablo Hernandez after an impressive trial with the club.

Hernandez, who most recently played for Defensor Sporting and Racing Montevideo in Uruguay, showed well during his trial in D.C. over the past few weeks and is already listed on the team's roster on its website.

The 23-year-old Hernandez is listed at 6-feet, 180-pounds and should provide a physical presence up top.

According to a release from United, Hernandez will be available upon receipt of his International Transfer Certificate and P-1 Visa. He is expected to be available for United's July 15 game against the Seattle Sounders.

"Pablo is a talented young striker with a big upside and we are excited to welcome him to our team," United General Manager Dave Kasper said in the release. "He is a very technical player with great athletic qualities who makes things happen around the goal."

According to his bio on the team's site, Hernandez scored three goals in 11 games in 2009-10 with Defensor Sporting and scored two goals in 14 games with Racing Montevideo in 2008-09. Hernandez started his professional career with Atletico Tucuman in the Argentine third division and helped the club earn promotion in 2007-08, scoring 11 goals.

More news and notes after the jump...

As expected, United's recent release of El Salvadoran midfielder Christian Castillo was related as much to salary cap implications as anything else. With Castillo failing to impress and with a cap number of $120,000, it was not surprising to see the move made.

"The main reason for the move is to have salary cap flexibility moving into this transfer window," Kasper said.

More moves are on the horizon, with another designated player expected to be signed a possibility when the international transfer window opens on July 15. Forward Luciano Emilio's contract also runs out on that date.

"With Luci we'll take pretty close to the 15th to make the final decision," Kasper said. "That's when his contract expires and the first day that we can actually register players and get them playing so we'll use all that time."

There are some rumors that United could be set to chase after some big fish in Europe, but Kasper did not bite when asked to comment on one big name.

"Can't really comment on any rumors that are out there," Kasper said. "There are a lot of things flying around right now."

Asked if the team would be interested in bringing in a big-name player, Kasper said the team is always interesting in providing the best players for fans but again reiterated that he would not comment on any rumors.

By Paul Tenorio  |  July 1, 2010; 2:43 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Soccer on TV this weekend
Next: Friday kickaround: World Cup, U.S. players, MLS

Comments

Five goals in two seasons - Sounds like a perfect fit for DC United!

Posted by: badhairday | July 1, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

my thoughts exactly...that's not a lotta goals. But he is a very young player at 23. Hoepfully he'll work out and not be the latest in the long line of Argentine busts.

Luci pretty much has to be gone, no? Don't we need the roster space? With this kid and the guy from whichever former Yugoslav republic that's two new plays and only Castillo has been dumped so far.

Is Namoff retiring? Has the club been asked about his status lately?

Posted by: fedssocr | July 1, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Thanks badhairday, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Posted by: Matte | July 1, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

They went all the way to Uruguay to sign this guy and didn't bring back Recoba ?!?

Posted by: Charisma_Man | July 1, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

This could be good. We are expected to sign another DP. That is news to me, but I guess good news.

Hopefully this striker works out.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 1, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully this striker works out.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 1, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Pablo, welcome to the club. Any skepticism you may read in comments below is grounded not in some negative assessment of your potential than to our familiarity with the present condition of United management and the quality of recent South American acquisitions. Even if you have marginal talent, fight for the shirt and we'll respect and embrace you (i.e. Morsink, Cristman).

So who's the mysterious big fish? Wait lemme guess. NYRB figured out Henry is going to be a disaster so now we're salivating. Oy vey.

Posted by: benonthehill | July 1, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

fedssocr:

We will need roster spots when Boskovic and Hernandez both become eligible to play on 7/15. With Castillo gone, we can fit one of them in without doing anything. I assume the other spot will open up by placing Barklage on season-ending injured reserve.

Withholding judgment on Hernandez. I'm glad that he's younger than most of our previous Argentine signings, but we haven't signed the right player from CONMEBOL since Gomez's first stint with the club. I hope this is the end of that trend, because we need a finisher.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 1, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Or perhaps I should have said, Sacrebleu!

Posted by: benonthehill | July 1, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I'm out of the rumors loop. Who's the 'one big name' that went un-commented on?

Posted by: JkR- | July 1, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Chest,

I would put Emilio in that category as well, even though he was in Honduras when United signed him.

Posted by: Unitedfury | July 1, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

benonthehill:

People have embraced Morsink?

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 1, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Big fish from Europe? Let's see...

Ibrahimovic
Joe Cole
F. Torres
Maicon
Toure
Cambiasso
Mascherano
Ozil
Fabregas
van der Vaart

Posted by: FrancoNiell | July 1, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

@Chest_Rockwell,

I've seen several positive comments about his bite and heart. Surely none about his talent, but I'd take a Morsink over Emilio and Castillo, to say nothing of a whole lineup of non-competitors who've come and gone over the past three years.

Posted by: benonthehill | July 1, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Unitedfury:

That reminds me, Emilio's departure means we'll have one more spot beyond the one we could open by putting Barklage on the IR.

You're right, Emilio was our last scouting success (rather than Gomez).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 1, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Raul? (I doubt DC United has the acumen to actually get him)

Posted by: alan19 | July 1, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

At least he's taller than Franco Niell

Posted by: delantero | July 1, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Can Pablo play before the 15th?

Posted by: dcarmy | July 1, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

At least he's taller than Franco Niell
Posted by: delantero
=============

And he doesn't have a nickname. The Dwarf and The Doll didn't fit in well, and Kasper should have known by their nicknames.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 1, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

And while I'm thinking of it, from an earlier thread:

When Sneijder bends it off the outside of his right foot, is that an oranje slice?

Posted by: OWNTF | July 1, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

+10

(time flies when you're having pun)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 1, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Man, people are moaning when the team makes no moves, and moaning when they do.

Hate to break it to ya, but we ain't gettin' Messi. I might suggest we reserve judgment and let Senor Hernandez show us what he's got.

Welcome to DC United, Pablo! We hope you'll be a key part of the resurgence of a proud club.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | July 1, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Just gotta wait and see.

Posted by: Reignking | July 1, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

I just hope he brings some pace along with a "physical presence." I mean, didn't DCU pick up Christman and Allsopp for a physical presence in the box?

Two offensive minded additions so far, let's hope the front office does the prudent thing and signs a really great defender to help out Jakovic.

Posted by: mercurysnake77 | July 1, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Good to see that DCU is at least acting quickly on bad decisions instead of waiting.

Posted by: marcool | July 1, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

With Luci sporting what sounds like a concussion from last night's game, I wonder how that will affect his value to the team...?

Posted by: Juan-John1 | July 1, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Back to commenting after my bout with appendicitis but all I have to say is that we have to wait and see. But glad he is young and shows potential.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | July 1, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | July 1, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back, WashDips. You might notice that the posting is a little slow these days, and if you hit "submit" a second time because you think it didn't go through the first time, it will double post.

Posted by: dccal | July 1, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dccal | July 1, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

dccal, that's two funny!

Posted by: dcarmy | July 1, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to hear about the appendicitis. I went through the same thing 20+ years ago. I hope your recovery time was short.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 1, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Thanks I270 and dcccal

Im still recovering but I have futbol to thank for not letting me go insane inside of the house.

Anyone know who the rumor big signing might be?

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | July 1, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know who the rumor big signing might be?

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88

*****************
I'm betting on the Salvadoran Chicago just released.

Posted by: benonthehill | July 1, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know who the rumor big signing might be?

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88

I'm pretty sure its the 2010 North Korea World Cup team. Goff is bringing them back from SA as check on bags.

Posted by: Southeasterner | July 1, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell

We haven't had a great signing since Christian, but Erpen and Martinez were decent enough. Without putting much effort into it I can't anyone better than either of them DC has ever signed from a region outside of Concacaf and CONMEBOL. Has DC ever had the 'right' signing from Europe, Africa, or anywhere else?

Posted by: Dancy1 | July 2, 2010 12:52 AM | Report abuse

@ Dancy1

Well, assuming we're not counting Freddy Adu, I'd say the OBVIOUS answer HAS to be Hristo Stoitchkov.

In all seriousness, Ryan Nelsen from New Zealand is your guy.

Posted by: benonthehill | July 2, 2010 1:18 AM | Report abuse

Weren't we trying to sign Stephen Appiah awhile back? I'd like that signing...

Posted by: StewartDC8 | July 2, 2010 1:26 AM | Report abuse

@ JkR-

I think the big fish rumor thing was Michael Ballick.

That would be a wild departure from the usual South-Centrial American and African signing trend.

That would work for me!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 2, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Appiah! Ha! The World Cup has stoked the dreamers flames...
Veron, Appiah... How about Ozil???? :)

Posted by: DadRyan | July 2, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

DadRyan, you've forgotten -- we all decided a couple years back that Veron did not fit well with United, and of course he was too old, so Gallardo was a much better acquisition.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | July 2, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Check out highlights from United's win over Richmond on Wednesday. Pablo can you say Open Cup:)

Posted by: I-95Exit43 | July 2, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse