Emilio, United part ways

Three months after returning to D.C., 2007 MLS Most Valuable Player Luciano Emilio and United are parting ways once again after the club decided not to exercise its option on the 31-year-old Brazilian striker.

Emilio, whose 41 career goals rank him fourth in team history, failed to find the net in four MLS appearances during his three-month return to the team.

Emilio's message to United fans appeared in this announcement on United's website:

"To all of the fans, you have been so good to me. Thank you for all of your support. I had a great time here, but now I think that time has gone. I will always remember the way people treated me here, and wherever I am in the world, if I see United supporters they will be friends to me."

United will also be without Adam Cristman for the foreseeable future as the forward travels to Germany for hernia surgery on his lower abdominal wall. Cristman is currently tied for the club lead in games played (14) and has two goals on the season, including the game-winner in a 3-2 victory at Seattle last month.

By Matt Brooks  |  July 16, 2010; 2:34 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United  | Tags: Adam Cristman, D.C. United, Luciano Emilio
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Another possible D.C. United friendly?
Next: Sunday kickaround: Nery, Landon, MLS, Women

Comments

Why does everything about this team bum me out?

Posted by: DCB23 | July 16, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Everything but Emilio's very classy message that is, this line in particular:

"..wherever I am in the world, if I see United supporters they will be friends to me."

Posted by: DCB23 | July 16, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

"Cristman is currently tied for the club lead in games played (14)"

Really? Man, I really don't pay attention to DCU much. I would've said 2.

Posted by: Reignking | July 16, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Was it just Emilio being out of shape? I often wondered why he didn't see the field more, especially since it wasn't like we were finding the back of the net consistently with the guys we had in the game. Anyway, best of luck Emilio! Thanks for the memories.

Posted by: nairbsod | July 16, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

It defies me how the team, as a whole, has NO offense at the moment, yet the front office seems hell-bent on ridding the squad of its only proven goal-scorers. Why did we get rid of Christian Gomez again?

At least have a back-up plan in place!

Ridiculous.

Posted by: FbAller | July 16, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Gomez? Please, the whole reason we are in this mess is because the FO is incapable of telling when it is time to move on from players, and we wasted 3 years with an aging roster and no grooming of anyone to take their place until we drafted Pontius.

We had some great players from South America, and then Kasper went crazy and spent a good 3-4 years where the only policy was "sign anyone you can find from South America." DC turned their back on youth for a long time and now we are paying the price for it.

Moving on from Gomez when it was clearly time to was one of the few smart things the FO ever did.

Posted by: joe_hill | July 16, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Why doesn't the FO make the German hernia doctor our next DP signing? They could save lots in travel costs...and who knows, the guy might have a decent left foot as well!

Posted by: soccerman | July 16, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Emilio could have been a true DCU legend if he would have worked harder to stay in shape. in the 3.5 seasons he was here, he might have been in shape for 1.25 of them. I'm not sure what team FbAller has been watching, but Luci (and Gomez) haven't been proven goal scorers since 2007, and neither were worth even a portion of what they were paid. the club took a flyer on this half season deal with Luci, and unfortunately it didn't work out for either.

Posted by: VTUnited | July 16, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm happy to see Emilio have a chance to leave the club so gracefully. That's a very classy statement he left us with.

Good luck Luci!

Posted by: -rke- | July 16, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

...and other than being totally frustrated with Graye last night, the one bright spot this season seems to be the youth of our team - or at least the feeling that the FO is building for the future. (I gotta find something to give me hope from this season, right?)

Posted by: nairbsod | July 16, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Good luck Luci. I hope you find a good fit somewhere and continue to play the sport we all love.

As for Christman, if he was suffering form a hernia, was he really our answer to come in late and try to score a goal last night? How long has he been suffering from this injury? And could he have gotten surgery during the layoff instead of waiting?

Finally, as for Gomez. I'd say if given the choice between keeping one wily old veteran attacking player on our team (meaning Gomez or Moreno), after having seen Gomez play live in Miami (er, I mean, Ft. Lauderdale), I'd say Gomez has a little more juice left in him than Moreno. We should have kept Gomez one more year and ushered Moreno into the front office with a heroes farewell.

Posted by: mercurysnake77 | July 16, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Luci was always an incredibly classy player, no matter the circumstances. I will always love and respect him for that monstrous 2007 season. Bets wishes and good luck!

Posted by: kdiff813 | July 16, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OhBoyOhBoy | July 16, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

The United have hired Susan O'Malley to handle promotions: Come see the United take on the Galaxy and Landon Donovan!

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | July 16, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

dude, it's just old and no one cares about your stupid "the" gimmick. give it a rest.

Posted by: nairbsod | July 16, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

I look forward to the day when I see an Insider headline that reads, "Kurt Onalfo, United part ways."

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | July 16, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Love Luci-Goal! I bet he resurfaces again somewhere. If you have no distribution, you cant expect Luci to do his thing, which is not to play with his back to the goal...He could have been more productive with a proper midfield...Luci, be thankful you made it out of DC without any serious concussions or head injuries! Cant say the rest of the team will be so lucky...

Posted by: alan19 | July 16, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Gracias luci for those great moments !!!!!!!! and DC gracias for this great moments we are having the fans deserve this........ FRONT OFFICE AND ORNALFO GET OUT TO WHATEVER YOU CAME FROM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: rdalkancontractors | July 16, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

All the best to you, Luci. We enjoyed having you here and you will always be a friend to United's supporters.

Posted by: Curious99 | July 16, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

So when does United announce the DP signing?

You know, the one that only makes sense given the salary room freed up by Luci and Brian.

Posted by: Curious99 | July 16, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

"FRONT OFFICE AND ORNALFO GET OUT TO WHATEVER YOU CAME FROM!!!!!!!!!"
Posted by: rdalkancontractors
-------------------

huh???

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | July 16, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

The whole episode of re-signing Emilio at a pretty high salary, playing him for 157 minutes, and re-releasing him shows a lack of cohesiveness in the team's management. If you're going to rebuild, then don't apologize for playing the young guys. If you're going to bring in a mercenary striker for an immediate boost, first make sure the coach can use him. If you're going to broadcast that the organization has no plan and no idea what it's doing, then this mess fits right in.

All that said, I'll fondly remember the fun-loving, hard-working, in-shape Emilio we knew years ago.

Posted by: hungrypug | July 16, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

The management of this team continues to be a nightmare. The players are either getting hurt and having surgeries or are not fir and are released. When is Will going to hold KP and BB Kasper accoutable? These two are stealing money.

Posted by: mightymax | July 16, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

MLS has to put this team into receivership. Will Chang is to sports ownership what Elle Woods was to Harvard Law School (see the movie "Legally Blonde" if you don't know what I'm talking about). As owner, he's the one tolerating the proliferation of bozos in the Front Office (Note to professional clowns: please accept my apologies). Other teams in MLS sign designated players. D.C. needs to sign a designated owner, general manager and coaching staff.

Posted by: hofbrauhausde | July 17, 2010 6:38 AM | Report abuse

This team is simply rudderless. How does the team with the most MLS championships fall apart so quickly. They need a better coach, a better management plan, and new stadium, and some reason to be excited about where this team is headed. Completely understand that the team got old (and still need to turnover a few more players..thanks for the service Mr. Moreno), but it sucks to see expansion teams and rivals building new stadiums and signing European players. We (the fans) deserve better.

Posted by: mmcghee701 | July 17, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else watching the Women's U20s on ESPNU?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 17, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

LeRoux. Le Roux. LeRoux is on fire!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 17, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Sweet through ball to Bywaters and great speed to get on to it. The Swiss defense has holes in it, like a dairy product with holes. I can't think of a good simile.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 17, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

@hofbrauhausde: um, Elle Woods totally rocked Harvard Law School, surviving a rocky start to graduate as valedictorian. #analogyfail

Posted by: hungrypug | July 17, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Wow. That Swiss U20 GK is dodgy.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 17, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

@I-270Exit1,

Emmental. Their defense is like Emmental cheese. I think that's the simile you're looking for.

Posted by: benonthehill | July 17, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I agree, almost all news on DCU is bad news. It's so depressing.

We DCU fans just don't hold the front office responsible. I've learned a long time ago from being of a fan of all kinds of teams in all kinds of sports (cough, cough Oakland Raiders) that failure starts from the top down. Chang may fly out here from Frisco and shake a few hands at tailgates, but does that mean he knows how to run a soccer franchise?

We need a total housecleaning. Why does no one question the trainer? Half our roster is constantly injured. Shouldn't someone look into that? Oh, that would be the front office's job. OK, question answered. Nothing will change until the top brass changes. We should've known this franchise was in the garbage heap when the coach from Akron turned down the job.

Posted by: jbfromfc | July 17, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Leroux with her third, fourth of the tournament.
5-0

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 17, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: soccerman
------------

The German hernia doctor is a woman. I doubt that DC United could afford to sign her because everyone goes to see her (I'm sure it's the same doctor that Bocanegra) went to before the World Cup. She must make a lot of cash.

Posted by: diego_r | July 17, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

U-20 Final score 5-0 (Mewis, Bywaters, Leroux x3).

A US win or tie against S Korea would put us into the quarterfinals. A loss would only eliminate us if Ghana scored 7 goals more than Switzerland.

Will we see Sydney Leroux again in Germany next year for WWC2011?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 17, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Barack H. Obama! Leroux must be a player. Hope to see her with the national team soon.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | July 17, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Especially since Leroux is a hoser by birth, and I don't believe she has yet been cap-tied once and for all.

Posted by: universityandpark | July 17, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure whether anyone ever posted a link to Castillo's match report from the Friday print edition:

There is also this Steinbog item:

Posted by: universityandpark | July 17, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

From an earlier thread:

hey y'all, i'm up from FL this weekend and am wondering where ppl go for beers after the game.

Posted by: DaninFL | July 15, 2010 4:31 PM
__________________________________________

I hope you found a suitable establishment the other night. Now I have a question for you: What part of Florida do you hail from, and what are the soccer-friendly places in your area? I was in the northern 'burbs of Orlando in April, and I found a couple of places on my own. I may be returning there in the future.

Posted by: universityandpark | July 17, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Le Roux is the cat's pajamas. Get her in WPS. And Pressley, the centerback.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 17, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Le Roux is the cat's pajamas. Get her in WPS. And Pressley, the centerback.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 17, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

That loud crashing noise was the sound of the DCU/watermelon-falls-to-the-sidewalk plummeting to the cellar of MLS with Philly's added-time win at TFC.

See ya, Dave; see ya, KP. Back the truck up, Will; this team is embarassing you.

Posted by: mightymax | July 17, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Brandi Chastain retires.
192 caps
2 World Cup titles
2 Olympic gold medals
1 moment that ignited American soccer

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 17, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Chicago signs The Human Unibrow as a DP

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 17, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

USA 3 - Sweden 0
Rapinhoe, Wambach x2

We beat Switzerland and Sweden today. Send in Swaziland,.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 17, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Switzerland, Sweden, Swaziland. Sweet!

Posted by: Reignking | July 17, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Nery Castillo to the Fire -- very interesting DP.

Posted by: Reignking | July 17, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | July 16, 2010 7:49 PM
---------------------------------------------------

Why? Do you plan on razzing Goff for misspelling Curt Onalfo's name?

Posted by: fischy | July 18, 2010 1:14 AM | Report abuse

With Omar Bravo in KC the KC vs. Chicago games will probably be sold out for the next few years. Is Castillo going to fill in for old man McBride or more of the attacking mid position of Blanco?

Some interesting signings. Should be an entertaining second half of the season.

Posted by: Southeasterner | July 18, 2010 6:40 AM | Report abuse

The United fan wearing the team cap and a Donovan shirt at Flippin' Pizza last night made me want to vomit up my dinner. I fear for how many of these mental midgets will be at RFK tonight.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | July 18, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Wow. You really are a giant hosehead.

Posted by: fischy | July 18, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Wow. You really are a giant hosehead.

Posted by: fischy | July 18, 2010 12:45 PM
__________________________________________

Do we have one of the McKenzie brothers in the house?

Posted by: universityandpark | July 18, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse