Germany vs. Argentina in World Cup quarterfinal

Germany vs. Argentina
Green Point Stadium, Cape Town
Kickoff: 10 a.m. ET
TV: ABC, Univision, ESPN Deportes.

Argentina lineup (4-3-3): Romero; Otamendi, DeMichelis, Burdisso, Heinze; Rodriguez, Mascherano, Di Maria; Higuain, Messi, Tevez.

Germany lineup (4-2-3-1): Neuer; Lahm, Mertesacker, Friedrich, Boateng; Khedira, Schweinsteiger; Mueller, Oezil, Podolski; Klose.

Your pregame, in-game and postgame thoughts are encouraged. Enjoy!

By Steve Goff  |  July 3, 2010; 9:49 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Argentina , Germany  | Tags: Argentina vs. Germany, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Cup: the scene in Montevideo
Next: Germany vs. Argentina: Germany rolls to 4-0 rout

Comments

Last one, I promise:

TdeFrance game is up and running

Public Group: Argy Bargy

Posted by: delantero | July 3, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

A match between two countries with female heads of state, or heads of gov't, wutevah.

Merkel takes the early lead.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 3, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Romero is a terrible goalkeeper!

I love it when Martin Tyler says things he says in the video game.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 3, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

So basically, if you're a German player named Muller, you're going to score a bucketful of goals in the World Cup. Why don't they start an All Muller team?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 3, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Klose could not (ahem) close the deal on that one.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 3, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Not Klose enough?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 3, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Klose could not (ahem) close the deal on that one.
-----------------------------------------
Not Klose enough?
-----------------------------------------

Posted by: tfshea | July 3, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I'm thinking that the media Argy-Bargy between the two countries is part of the German's plan to get under Argentina's skin and provoke them into getting stupid cards. The Vulcans won't have trouble controlling their emotions.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 3, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

delantero, I'm in. I think the first 4 days don't count, if it is like last year.

Posted by: Reignking | July 3, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Germany deserves to win tonight, with the way they play Argentina should think twice before underestimating them. Catch the highlights on http://informationcrossroads.blogspot.com/2010/05/2010-fifa-world-cup-south-africa-live.html

Posted by: gilbien03 | July 3, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

It is just like last year RK. Personally I have paid ZERO attention to any cycling news this year because of the World Cup.
Who's hot?
Who's not?
Who do you guys think are favorites?
Basso?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 3, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

DR, if you don't know, we don't know. I guessed well last year and got some mountain points from some scrub -- those guys you can't figure out in the first few days because the stages are flat.

I just know that it is Armstrong v Contador.

No Levi for me this year, but I'm always a sucker for South Carolinian Hincapie.

Posted by: Reignking | July 3, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Team Saxobank is loaded -- two Schlecks and a Cancellara.

Contador's team is kinda weak.

Posted by: Reignking | July 3, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Wonderful teamwork by the Germans.

Is Messi playing?

Posted by: Reignking | July 3, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

He was so Klose Chad Barrett would have finished that.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 3, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Germany is looking like they will be in the final. They are a great passing team with good composure & deadly finishing. Will be hard to beat.

Posted by: tfshea | July 3, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Admirable soccer indeed. No diving, no whining, no appealing for cards. Just a passionate but dispassionately administered total and complete beat down.

Telling moment: Shortly after first goal, a brutal foul right outside the box in prime territory for Podolski to set up his laser shot. Instead of writhing around, Germany gets up, plays on, ref calls advantage, and Germany ends up dispossessed.

This is a fun team to watch.

Can Muller appeal that suspension? That's a BS call.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 3, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

No referee decision can be appealed, repealed, or banana peeled.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 3, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

What happened to Steveb Goff's all South America semi finals!?!?!
With Spain winning their game next; it will be three Europeans and one(!) South America team in the semis!!! Hahaha

Posted by: khushalahmadzai1 | July 3, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

uh, take it back to SBI or whatever troll bridge you came out from under hushhalablablahblahblamahma.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 3, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse