Netherlands vs. Brazil in World Cup 2010 quarterfinals

Netherlands and Brazil meet with the first spot in the semifinals on the line.

There's still a chance for an all-South American final four, Steve Goff wrote in today's paper this morning.

The Associated Press has a short preview of Netherlands-Brazil.

Netherlands vs. Brazil game stats here, in-game commentary here, shot chart here.

ESPN3.com is streaming the game online here, with your choice of five languages: English, Arabic, German, Portuguese or Korean.

By Matt Bonesteel  |  July 2, 2010; 9:16 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Brazil , Netherlands
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday kickaround: World Cup, U.S. players, MLS
Next: Brazil vs. Netherlands: Dutch stun five-time champions in World Cup quarterfinals

Comments

I am thinkng Brazil goes through but Robben might pull off some magic, so who knows. Wish I wasn't at work...

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 2, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Bill Simmons of ESPN on the World Cup and why soccer is taking off in America, for real this time. This is must read.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 2, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

I have to...go get some coffee. That's the ticket.

Brazil has to go to their bench, and I picked the Orange from the beginning.

Posted by: Reignking | July 2, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Univision streaming site must have exploded :-(

Posted by: Kev29 | July 2, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Woohoo - back up! Is it me or do the Brazilians always look sharp in their blue shirts? Heresy, maybe, but I prefer them to the yellow.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 2, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

The Netherlands take a page out of the USA's playbook, giving up an early goal with a leaky defense.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 2, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

One heckuva pass there, I-270...

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | July 2, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

univision site doesnt work for me here at work.. hmm... it just says.. "regresa para ver el siguiente partido en vivo

Posted by: jrodfoo | July 2, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jrodfoo | July 2, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

The US might look a bit like Brazil if we did not have the NFL and the NBA. These guys are big, fast, strong and skilled. Man they cover a lot of ground. And they play both physical and skill ball, sometimes on the same play.

Posted by: glfrazier | July 2, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Tour de Fr. Fantasy game is up:

Public Group: Argy Bargy

Posted by: delantero | July 2, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Univision used to work for me untill I got my flash player unistalled. I convinced my office mate to load it up though and it is working fine for her. We are working on a group project if anyone asks.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 2, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

The game stat counters are misnamed. The Dutch team represents the Netherlands; Holland is a region within that country.

Posted by: alewis4 | July 2, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

The Dutch seem intent on confirming my saying: those who can hold the ball will hold it too long.

Posted by: ldmay | July 2, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Does Robben ever cut right?

Three times now he has tried to get the ball on his left, dribbling into 2-3 defenders instead of taking the open space.

Posted by: delantero | July 2, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

The Beavis in me chuckles when Tyler gets to yell "KAKA!!!"

Posted by: delantero | July 2, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Goof by Cesar and the Brasil D . . . we're all tied up!

Posted by: delantero | July 2, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Good things happen when you get it on frame.

I'm going to send Robben a pink dress.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | July 2, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

The football side have always been known colloquially as Holland, since the great Total Football sides of the '70s.

God, that was some team, and desperately unlucky to lose the 74 and 78 finals.

Posted by: qprmeteor | July 2, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Robben is a socialist.

Posted by: Reignking | July 2, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Nice to see guys with no hair score headers.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | July 2, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Melo is an idiot.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 2, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

The new Dutch motto: "Don't Tread on Me"

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | July 2, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

For my money, Sneijder is the first midfielder I'd pick for my team if I had to win one game -- but, he should've gotten a yellow card for that handball.

Posted by: fischy | July 2, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Wow. That might have been the worst free kick I've ever seen.... If that was RFK, it would've been in the mezzanine

Posted by: fischy | July 2, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

The Dutch have been my dark horse candidate from the beginning. If I had the courage of my convictions, I'd have picked the Dutch to win the Cup (and this game), right from the start. They're such a solid team, from back to front. To be able to bring in Huntelaar from your bench? That's deep.

Posted by: fischy | July 2, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Brasil starting to whine worse than Mexico

Posted by: delantero | July 2, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Van Bommel should have gotten second yellow, at least for that.

Posted by: delantero | July 2, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Thumb sucker is going to be crying like the baby that he is. Robinho is a punk.
I picked them to win, but his tears will be beautiful to see.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 2, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Bye Bye Dunga. No-one will remember any of the wins, just this loss.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 2, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

With Dunga done, maybe Brazil goes back to the Joga Bonito?

Posted by: fischy | July 2, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I only had an internet feed for the first 35 min of the game, and so I am left wondering how on Earth Brazile managed to lose. They were *so* much the better team. Wow.

Posted by: glfrazier | July 2, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

thank god brazil lost, or we wouldn't have a potentially different world cup champion until 2018! oh, also i picked the netherlands to win the whole thing...they are due.

Posted by: birdynumnum | July 2, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Didn't pick it, but am completely satisfied with the result.

I just wish I was in Amsterdam!!

"Another round of space cakes for me and my friends, please."

Posted by: delantero | July 2, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I'm pleased that Brazil is out because I'm hoping for a new WC winner. A Spain-Netherlands final would be nice.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 2, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy

I did :p (even got it right on the fifa predictor game)

Van Persie should be on the bench.

Posted by: Reignking | July 2, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 2, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 2, 2010 12:04 PM

Agreed, though I'm rooting for the Ghanaians to keep going.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 2, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Stream looked great on UnivisionFutbol.com. Can't wait to watch the next game!

Posted by: CharlesNY | July 2, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

univision world perfect for me ;-)

Posted by: alexology | July 2, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

univision looks great for me ;-)

next game is at 2!

Posted by: alexology | July 2, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm from Univision, stream looks great! We had thousands of viewers watching the game. Please let us know if you have any issues.
Be sure to watch Uruguay vs Ghana on UnivisionFutbol.com!

Posted by: catgallego | July 2, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse