New York Red Bulls sign Thierry Henry

France striker Thierry Henry joined the New York Red Bulls from Barcelona, the Red Bulls are reporting on their Web site.

Henry, 32, is expected to make his Red Bulls debut on July 22 against Tottenham Hotspur of the English Premier League. He played for France in four World Cups and has a national-record 51 goals. He's most infamously known for the Handball Seen Around the World (except by the refs) against Ireland in a World Cup qualification playoff.

By Matt Bonesteel  |  July 14, 2010; 12:26 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Memories from South Africa's World Cup
Next: Bryan Namoff suspends playing career

Comments

They get Henry, we get...Boskovic??

WAKE UP, FO!!!!! July 15th is tomorrow. PLEASE go sign another DP.

Posted by: kdiff813 | July 14, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps a nice, new shiny stadium in DC would help lure nicer and shinier Designated Players to United. Hey, it's fun to dream.

Posted by: tab5g1 | July 14, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Meh . . . Over the long haul, I'd rather have a DP who can make an impact on the field (say, Schelotto) than an impact in the media but do little on the field (Beckham, Ljungberg, etc.). I haven't a clue whether Henry or Boskovic will have more impact on the field over the next three years, but if I had to bet I'd take Boskovic. He's younger, and likely hungrier and less of a threat to the locker room.

Posted by: benonthehill | July 14, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Really? Given the choice you would take Bosco over Henry?

Posted by: Reignking | July 14, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

one would guess you mean "French" Striker.
nice work WP

Posted by: dean4 | July 14, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I think DC needs both.
We need a decent or good (I am for decent since our bad history with DPs) player on the field and someone who can generate media/ticket sales.
We need the field player to help the offense and a media hype for a push to build a stadium.

But lets see what we have to work with on Thursday.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | July 14, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

France striker is just fine.

Lighten up Frenches.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 14, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

yes, dean4, OWNTF is right. the soccer press convention is to use the country name, i.e. "England striker Wayne Rooney" especially to indicate a player who sees regular playing time with the National Team.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 14, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Arsenal, Barcelona, NY Pink Cows.

"One of these things just doesn't belong here
One of these things is not quite the same..."

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 14, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Regarding comments from the previous blog entry that Suarez was right to do the only possible thing in a desperate situation: by that logic, Thierry Henry was also right to handle the ball because that was the only possible way to win in that desperate situation. Suarez did his act where everyone could see him and was punished according to the Laws, whereas the referees were screened from seeing Henry, but that is after the fact and doesn't really alter the rightness or wrongness of the player's choice.

Posted by: Jim19 | July 14, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Nooooo, not again today . . . . . . please!?

Posted by: OWNTF | July 14, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Overhandling the pudding.

Posted by: Reignking | July 14, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see the Henry signing. I like talent in the league.

Been out of the loop a few days, has Boskovic been training with DC. Will he most likely play tomorrow? (I just need one more excuse to get out of my girlfriend's friends bday party. The excuse of DC United game just isn't working too well these days... It would help it they weren't terrible.)

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 14, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

When it comes down to major foreign player signings, for me it depends on the individual. I think Beckham has been good in MLS (when he's here). Jury is out on the whining Ljunberg for me. And there are plenty of bad examples, too.

Henry is a very fit athlete, and he is the type of player who could influence the players around him. Assuming no injuries, he has a good 3-4 years of good soccer in him.

Final verdict: Good for New York, good for MLS. No idea if it's good for Henry.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | July 14, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

re-posted from the "Suarez is a filthy cheat/No he's not, Is too!/Is not!" thread:

this is probably going to come out all jumbled, but what the hey:

Final Yahoo World Cup pick 'em standings:
Correct Picks
1 Bartapest 42 5 140 140
2 BooThisMan 37 9 136 136
3 randomness 37 12 134 134
4 GoldenChild 37 6 125 125
5 JkR- 38 5 124 124

Not sure what spoils go to the winner . .

Posted by: delantero | July 14, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I will be at RFK tomorrow night in Section 130 to watch DCU beat the Flounders. Where do I pick up my 4th place prize?

Posted by: Golden_Child | July 14, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Golden_Child | July 14, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Bartapest!

Posted by: Golden_Child | July 14, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Assuming no injuries, he [Henry] has a good 3-4 years of good soccer in him.
Posted by: Rand-al-Thor
==========

Are you excluding a aprained wrist and in-grown fingernails?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 14, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

>Final verdict: Good for New York, good for MLS.

Agreed.

Red Bulls vs Galaxy on Sept 24. Beckham should be back by then.

Posted by: Jim19 | July 14, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

one would guess you mean "French" Striker.

-----

One might well write "US midfielder Landon Donovan" even though US is not an adjective. Same re France.

But, are we going to have a special new rule about assisting with the hand in front of goal?

Posted by: DCUSince96 | July 14, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Henry is a good signing for NYRB, both for filling seats in their stadium and for scoring goals that could help them win the cup. Seattle needs Nkufo to bring some energy and confidence to a pear-shaped situation.

Posted by: hungrypug | July 14, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I am sure all the Irish people in NYC will come out to support Hnads Henry ......oh, yeah well maybe not.

Posted by: Liverbird | July 14, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Golden_Child
======

Move back to a covered section and the concrete trophy will fall on your head.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 14, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to...me! For winning both leagues on FIFA.

Posted by: Reignking | July 14, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

They get Henry, we get...Boskovic??
WAKE UP, FO!!!!!
Posted by: kdiff81

Please, no. DP's are a mixed bag. Too many have failed to be considered a certain fix. Personally, if Boskovic is like a Nowak or 3/4 of a Schletto, I'm behind him. And no big names, please . . . unless it's a Messi, a Schweinsteiger, etc . . and that ain't going to happen.

Posted by: delantero | July 14, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Where do I pick up my 4th place prize?
Posted by: Golden_Child

Move back to a covered section and the concrete trophy will fall on your head.
Posted by: I-270Exit1

4th place? Oh, that's free beer, but no cup. Just turn your head skyward, open mouth and wait for DC to score . .

Posted by: delantero | July 14, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Handball Henry!

Posted by: Tweaked | July 14, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

This will give a new meaning when people hold up those signs that show a hand with a finger pointing upwards as if the say "Number One."

Posted by: DCUSince96 | July 14, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I think we have to accept that we are still at the point where we need rather meaningless exposure stunts like this. Anything Henry does right is a bonus. In ten years, and a few less tentative stars, we won't need it.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 14, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations, Reignking.

Fiona will bring you your trophy.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | July 14, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

And by "we" I mean MLS and its fans.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 14, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

The NYRB already have one of the league's top 5 in JPA, and in their new stadium with their new coach and their dynamic signings (Lindpere, Ibrahim) are currently in contention for the Shield, all before adding Henry. Just thought I'd point that out.

As for DC United, well, I've got my fingers crossed, but "it takes more."

NYRB have Henry, we've got ennui.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 14, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else as excited as I am about SuperLiga? That DC isn't involved?

Posted by: Reignking | July 14, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

delantero, I agree- big names have proven disastrous more than successful in the past, but NO ONE this side of the Atlantic had heard of Boskovic before we signed him, and his last club team was in Austria. And we're paying him DP money? I've said this before- I'd be really, really excited for this guy if we had signed him to a regular contract, but frankly, I feel it's a waste of a DP slot since he hasn't proven anything anywhere and no one's heard of him (maybe that huge Montenegrin population in and around DC will fill the seats now).

Now, Branko, feel free to prove me dead wrong with your play- nay , feel encouraged to do so.

Posted by: kdiff813 | July 14, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Superliga?

What I want to know about Superliga is why its logo looks like an aquarium fish swimming toward you.

Posted by: Ron16 | July 14, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Off topic, I just read that the USSF is considering changing the qualfication for Champions League so that the US Open Cup winner would not qualify for CONCACAF. Awfully late in the season to take that incentive away.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | July 14, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

OT: Ghana teams continue to bedevil USA teams. The Black Stars get a 1-1 draw against the U-20 women in their opener in Dresden.

Posted by: universityandpark | July 14, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Given the New Jersey team's history with big name players, Henry could become famous or infamous. Remember that the same team that had Roberto Donadoni and Juan Pablo Angel also had Lothar Matthaus and Nicola Caricola. Pretty mixed bag...

Besides, as someone pointed out above, NYRB's Irish supporters will just love Henry.

Posted by: schmegegge | July 14, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Goal, EJ.

Posted by: Reignking | July 14, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

His signing will definitely put butts in seats, as even I bought a pair for their game against TFC with expectations of his signing. Oh, any reviews of the stadium from those who made the trip this weekend?

Also, when discussing DPs, dont forget the most successful one, both on the field and in the stands: Landon Donovan.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 14, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

So what's up with the Ljungberg to Red Bull rumor?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 14, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm also hoping to be pleasantly surprised by Boskovic, but a little bummed that NYRB is making serious strides forward while we sign a DP that is afraid of flying, and plays his soccer in 30 degree cooler weather and was very surprised about what it means to actually play in the summer here.

Posted by: joe_hill | July 14, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

How did Aris qualify for Superliga?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 14, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

From a Soccer America compilation of World Cup quotes, a Juventus official's rationalization of Italy's first-round exit: "We wanted to avoid Holland in the last 16 – and we did."

Posted by: universityandpark | July 14, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan
==============

I hope it doesn't happen. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me because it would take away a slot from a USSF competition and, most likely, award it to an MLS team. Then there would be no chance of a USL team entering the CCL.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 14, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Where do I pick up my 4th place prize?
Posted by: Golden_Child

Move back to a covered section and the concrete trophy will fall on your head.
Posted by: I-270Exit1

Posted by: delantero | July 14, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I hope I get to drink a lot of free beer tomorrow, just like the USMNT vs Cuba!

Posted by: Golden_Child | July 14, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

"As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anybody want to see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."
--David Mamet, "Glengarry Glen Ross"

Posted by: dccal | July 14, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

re: Ljungberg to NYRB rumors - to me, it makes sense. They've been after a DP-level midfielder, Ljungberg clearly seems on his way out at Seattle (he didn't travel to DC today - "ankle problems"), Henry and Ljungberg played together at Arsenal, and Backe said today that Henry will be playing striker.

In terms of Branko, I'm still very much in wait-and-see mode, but I have very high hopes. I really do prefer the RSL way - a deep roster of solid players that play well together. We don't need or want to be the Miami Heat.

And let's be honest - how many people had heard of GBS before he played in Columbus, outside of those who actually follow domestic Argentine futbol? We could easily (hopefully!) have a similarly dynamic, relatively unknown player in Branko.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | July 14, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VercengetorixII
===========

I heard of George Bernard Shaw in high school, but I'm sure he played in Columbus long before that (his works, that is).

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 14, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

"Apples and bowling balls, my friend."

--Phil Leotardo

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | July 14, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Insider World Cup Yahoo Fantasy Pool Winner Bartapest here, signing in from the Far East. I hereby contribute my prize winnings to building a new stadium for DCU...or to the salary of a DP that is actually known outside his country.

Posted by: bartapest1 | July 14, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

This a coup for the Red Bulls.

Thierry Henry has been a key player at two of Europe's very best clubs: Arsenal (he was their top goal-scorer almost every season he was there and voted Arsenal's best-ever player by the Gunner fans) and Barcelona.

He is France's all-time top goal-scorer.

This isn't a Beckham. This is someone worth having.

Posted by: WhateverHeSaid | July 14, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Donovan sitting with Bianca at the ESPYS?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 14, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Too bad DC has already played them twice. Would love to crap all over Cheatin' Henry at RFK . . .

Like I really needed another reason to hate the Metrostars . . then they go and sign a Frenchie.

Posted by: delantero | July 14, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm really sorry Henry is remembered more for his hand ball than his years of being one of the classier athletes in the world, in any sport. He led the campaign against racism in soccer. To me, the man walks on water--I know, that would be cheating, too.

(So what is he doing in New Jersey? The world is standing on end.)

Posted by: paulkp | July 14, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan
==============

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 14, 2010 4:37 PM
--------------------------------------------------------

I'm guessing that's the main reason for doing it. CONCACAF probably isn't thrilled to see all those 2nd division teams qualifying from North America. CCL isn't a great tournament, but it's not going to get bigger with teams like Puerto Rico, Minnesota and Rochester.

Posted by: fischy | July 15, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Final Yahoo World Cup pick 'em standings:
Correct Picks
1 Bartapest 42 5 140 140
2 BooThisMan 37 9 136 136
3 randomness 37 12 134 134
4 GoldenChild 37 6 125 125
5 JkR- 38 5 124 124

Not sure what spoils go to the winner . .

Posted by: delantero
---------------------------

Hey man, I tied for 5th! Clearly you hate expatriates and are part of a nefarious plot to sideline us because we know so much more about football than you do!

(after yesterday I thought all issues had to be handled with Big Soccer-style rants. sorry I didn't use allcaps throughout as is, apparently, the standard.)

;-)

Posted by: troy6 | July 15, 2010 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Another International superstar past his prime coming to MLS for a well-paid vacation? Where have I seen this movie before (Mattheus, Hermisillo, Hernandez)?

Posted by: lgm6986 | July 15, 2010 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Igm6986: Isn't everything about marketing? How do you think the NFL just took in twice as much combined revenue than the EPL? What is the MLB All-Star game but a marketing ploy? What was Lebron hype by the NBA/ESPN/Heat?

I am happy that talent is coming to MLS. If you don't want to see him play live, then don’t go but give the league credit where credit is due. The league is trying to develop young players and has a decent track record.

I think M. Bradley, J. Altidore, T. Howard, C. Dempsey, L. Donovan, S. Holden, D. Beasley, R. Clark, etc. all speak for themselves. And we have younger players coming through in Hamid, Najar, and Tristan Bowen (LA Galaxy). Plus others I am not listing. They also went out and signed Luis Gil, beating out completion from European squads.
Also, at least give the league credit for developing an academy system. Heck, the Dynamo Academy team beat Barcelona’s youth team last year (I didn’t see the game but I imagine it was highway robbery).

If the league wants to bask in the moment of the 24 hour news cycle then I am all for it. How often do you see Around the Horn discussing the New York Red Bulls? They did last night.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 15, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

After this most recent World Cup, "France Striker" is not exactly a term that puts fear in hearts of mortal men.

Posted by: hofbrauhausde | July 15, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Props on the lavish World Cup coverage, Disappointing not to see to preview story about today's game in the Post. Good that the team is advertising the game so heavily, but we need support from the editorial staff too!

Posted by: DCUSince96 | July 15, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Breaking news: Branko Boskovic has received his ITC & is available tonight vs. SEA. More details: http://bit.ly/d3pnpK

Posted by: JkR- | July 15, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Most famously known for that handball? Really? This guy was one of the best players in the world for years.

Posted by: vtmbrody | July 15, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 14, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse
____________________________________________________

Was up there for the game last weekend. The new stadium is very, very nice. My 12-year-old that was with me said it was a "sweet stadium". :-)

Concessions were not the quickest (but neither is RFK), but they were very friendly (unlike RFK). The seats are at a steeper angle, so even for us less-tall folks, it is easy to see over the people in front of you. The pitch was a little brown in spots, but overall not bad considering the scorching heat of late.

The thing that surprised me most was that the stadium was not filled. In fact, quite a bit of the upper deck was empty. Oh, and I think DC's supporters section was almost as big as NY's. NY has them stuck behind the goal. I can see the thought, but I like seeing them on the sideline, cheering and jeering like they always do.

Posted by: HarkesyRules | July 15, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Behind the Badge is reporting that Boskovic will be available for selection tonight and will likely make his debut. http://bit.ly/d3pnpK

Posted by: jpeace121 | July 15, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, JkR-. Hadn't refreshed the page to see your post.

Posted by: jpeace121 | July 15, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

"When will MLS learn to get off these one-off publicity jags and focus on developing quality players from home and keeping them in MLS? MLS is not about soccer; it's about marketing and publicity as it is nothing more than a department within a soccer marketing company."
________________________

Wait a minute.

Can you really be suggesting that DP's, on the whole, have NOT improved MLS' on-field product?

I have my qualms with the sheer amount of money invested in DPs compared to the rest of the MLS talent pool, but in fairness, it's remarkable how a handful of players has raised the level of play of the entire league, and how this in turn HAS helped rank and file players develop!

The DP experiment, again on the whole, has worked out extremely well on the field, and fairly well off the field, save for this type of knee-jerk fan hostility. To the extent that enters league management's consciousness at all, I hope and expect that they don't lose any sleep over it.

If there are Americans who have been denied opportunities to show they are, in fact, capable of doing the same jobs as Angel, Blanco, Llungberg, Beckham, and Henry, I am certainly not aware of them. Because there aren't any.

And until there are, I'd rather challenge Americans directly to perform at the level of those players, than letting the product suffer while we await the great leap forward. I'd rather raise that bar than lower it.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | July 15, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Not to slight travelling support, but this is just plan wrong. The section DC's support was ticketed for seats just over 100 people. The section behind the goal, which was over 90% full, seats about 350. Add another 100 or so in the neighboring sections and I get around 400-425, which seems about right.

They're behind the goal because they want to be behind the goal. Cheapest seats and all. Barra Brava/Screaming Eagles situation is very rare, almost unique.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | July 15, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

That said, I agree with you, it's a shame that the stadium is typically only 60%-70% full. Attendance is dramatically up from the last several years, but this is a fan base that has been burned badly by really poor treatment since the team started. I don't think any MLS team has supporters who could withstand a decade and a half of such crap.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | July 15, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCUSince96 | July 15, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

==========================================

Although I completely agree with you, let's give them until this afternoon to at least put something in SI. If nothing happens by that time then it is open season on the WP editorial staff.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | July 15, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: grubbsbl
===========

Considering that the EPL took in one half of the NFL's revenue with a domestic market one-sixth of the US, that's not bad. But yeah, marketing is important as it keeps my bro-in-law employed.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 15, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

DC traveling fan and photographer took these shots of the respective fan sections at last Saturday's game.

DC fans:

NY supporters section:

I'm sure there's folks that didn't make it into the picture. The NY supporters may have had an additional section to their side.

Regardless of which group had more fans I recommend the new stadium to anyone making a road trip up there or anyone in the NY area who wants to catch a game. Much nicer than the old Giants Stadium.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 15, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Sorry I meant to credit DC traveling fan and photographer MATT MATTHAI in the previous posts.

All Caps!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 15, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I-270: You have to factor in that the EPL in general compete with a much larger international market. Southeastern Asia goes bananas for a Man United game, not some much for a 'Skins game.

I imagine you already knew this. My point was that the EPL and other major European soccer league (especially the German League) idolize the America sports marketing machine.

My rant was more directed that I thought it is silly to mock marketing ploys because they benefit the league and the fact that the league has done a lot to develop young American talent. Basically, I was just disagreeing with Igm.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 15, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

What if New York Red Bull gets taken over by that "other" energy drink company? And are they now "New York Red Bull" or "the Red Bulls"? In the event of such a takeover and name change, singular or plural could make some difference.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 15, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I have to think that the "other" energy drink has been trying to score Tiger to an endorsement deal, right?

"I've dropped Gatorade, and now when I'm down I just reach for some . . . . . "

Posted by: OWNTF | July 15, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

@grubbsbi: I don't disagree with you on the importance of marketing, I was just crunching the numbers. DPs and other hype (Adu, 1st season) are important to fill seats and sell jerseys. As far as SE Asia, they can buy cheap pirated replicas and the Glazers won't see a cent.

@OWNTF: THe New York Gators doesn't make a lot of sense, just ask Joe Doc and Molly Hatchet.

New York City you're so big and tough.
My pistols are loaded, I feel rough.
Well. we've heard of your punks and high heeled steppers.
We're bad southern boys and don't you forget us.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 15, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Ha, that pic of DC supporters groups shows 6 security guards in close proximity to those rabid, violent fans. Talk about big brother/overkill/over egging the security (?) . .

Posted by: delantero | July 15, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Delantero, I asked about that. RB was actually following league security protocols. As far as I know everyone was well behaved.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | July 15, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I like the DP rule and NYRB's signing of Henry. He's in the latter stages of his career but I wouldn't call him over the hill. I think can add a lot to the league.

In addition to the DP budget I'd like teams to have a player development budget for players on the active roster that is equal to the DP budget. That way teams can focus on bring in stars and developing players

Posted by: Solnoir | July 15, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I dislike the DP rule. I'd be much more agreeable to it if for every 500 K to 1 million bucks spent on a DP, the clubs would have to put in 100 K for players making less than 50 K a year to distribute . . or if it were put into a game fund---1000K for a tie, 2000 K for a win . .

Posted by: delantero | July 15, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero | July 15, 2010 12:40 PM

Posted by: VTUnited | July 15, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I don't think the players would be motivated to win if they knew they could get 1000 K for a draw...Posted by: VTUnited

If you're making 20K, and you're down 1-0? We could probably substitute the money with a free dinner at Five Guys.

Posted by: delantero | July 15, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero | July 15, 2010 1:06 PM

I was making a joke that "1000 K" is actaully $1,000,000, not $1,000, as you intended to suggest. either way, more money for the players is a good thing!

Posted by: VTUnited | July 15, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

1 K = 1 kilometer in my book, too much T d France!

Posted by: delantero | July 15, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

no worries, just teasing

Posted by: VTUnited | July 15, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

1 K = 1 kilometer in my book, too much T d France!
Posted by: delantero
============

1K = 1 kilogram in my book. Ummm... forget I said that.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 15, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I am a big Arsenal fan, so seeing Henry in the league is a plus.

My big question is how many mis timed, thuggish MLS tackles will he handle before he is on the injury list? The Spanish league calls quick fouls. The English league is rough. But I would put our MLS up there in terms of its uncanny ability to injure star players. Many clubs would deliberately rough up Arsenal to toss them off their game.

As much as I like Henry, I wonder will he have a hard time in this league. We need more of a bruiser who can take a hard hit, get up, and keep playing for his low salary.

Why did NY get him? I would have thought Seattle with its sister-club relationship to Arsenal would have been the natural destination.

Posted by: Wiggan | July 15, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse