Jaime Moreno named to MLS all-star squad

Los Angeles Galaxy Coach Bruce Arena, who will guide the MLS all-stars against Manchester United on July 28 at Houston's Reliant Stadium, has added 11 players to the squad.

Commissioner Don Garber made two special selections: D.C. United forward Jaime Moreno, the league's career scoring leader who might be in the last of his 15 seasons; and Dynamo forward Brian Ching.

Arena's choices: Real Salt Lake GK Nick Rimando, Revolution D Kevin Alston, Chivas USA D Jonathan Bornstein, Fire D Wilman Conde, Dallas D Heath Pearce, Dynamo MF Brad Davis, Dallas MF David Ferreira, Revolution MF Shalrie Joseph, Rapids MF Jeff Larentowicz, Union F Sebastien Le Toux, Red Bulls F Juan Pablo Angel.

The original selections named last week: Galaxy GK Donovan Ricketts; Real Salt Lake D Jamison Olave, Crew D Chad Marshall, Galaxy D Omar Gonzalez; Toronto MF Dwayne De Rosario, Crew MF Guillermo Barros Schelotto, RSL MF Kyle Beckerman, RSL MF Javier Morales, Fire MF Marco Pappa; Galaxy Fs Landon Donovan and Edson Buddle. (Beckerman is unavailable because of injury.)

Per guidelines in the collective bargaining agreement between the union and management, a total of 32 players are to be considered "all-stars" (and in line for bonuses). The inactive group will be announced at a later date.

By Steve Goff  |  July 19, 2010; 1:05 PM ET
Categories:  MLS  | Tags: MLS All-Star Game, Manchester United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jason Garey's goal: Saving Louisiana wetlands
Next: Tuesday kickaround: MLS, D.C. United, Ronaldinho

Comments

Not happy about the Najar snub but congrats to Jaime on receiving some recognition. Surely this is a swan-song of sorts for our man, and if we take it as a lifetime achievement award, he certainly deserves it.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | July 19, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I love Jaime, and I'm happy for him that he's been called up for his 100th MLS All-Star game, and I'm assuming that Bruce Arena (who knows Jaime well) asked for Jaime to be one of the Commissioner's picks.

Having said that, I'd rather the Commissioner had picked someone else. With our luck, Jaime will likely get hurt at the All-Star game.

Posted by: TCompton | July 19, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Wait, why is Arena coaching the All-Star game, rather than Jason Kreis? Am I forgetting something basic here?

Posted by: ChristopherMc | July 19, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Arena's LA Galaxy was No. 1 by the cut-off (not sure what date that was). It's the coach with the highest ranked team (point wise) and not the reigning champs coach that gets to lead the All Stars.

Posted by: Kosh2 | July 19, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Oh, right -- it's based on the points lead through a certain part of the season, not on the previous MLS Cup.

I think Dom Kinnear's presence kept getting me confused...

Posted by: ChristopherMc | July 19, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Jaime! The man has been great to DC United over the last several years and he deserves anything anyone wants to throw his way.

That said, what does it say about either the selection or Curt Onalfo that Jaime is not a regular starter for the worst team in MLS and is an All-Star?

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | July 19, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

@Dougmacintyre,

It says that he deserves to have this thrown his way as a lifetime achievement award, not based on present form. Perfectly justifiable.

No one's arguing he's been one of the top 100 players in MLS this year, and I'm not sure anyone but Onalfo thinks it's a good idea for him to be getting significant minutes for United.

Posted by: benonthehill | July 19, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, too bad about Najar not getting the nod. And as much as I love Jaime for all that he's done in his career, I'd rather see him start the USOC games.

Goffinho: Any news about Party Boy's ankle/foot?

Posted by: Juan-John1 | July 19, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Since this is starting to look like a farewell tour, good for Jaime to possibly face some elite competition and play with MLS' best, and good for DCU and its fans to have a representative.

And Doug, Jaime is good for one or two truly influential performances per season at this point. The fact that he ever starts speaks to Onalfo's desperation and limitations as a coach and motivator.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | July 19, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Wait, why isn't Onalfo coaching the All-Star team? Oh...

Posted by: badhairday | July 19, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VercengetorixII
--------------------------

Putting Najar on the squad would be a nice way to feature a young talent from a MLS team's academy, but his omission is hardly a "snub". He's an exciting young player but not quite all-star material yet.

Good for Jaime. No matter his current form he has cemented his place in MLS soccer history. Viva Jaime!

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | July 19, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

looks like MLS doesn't have the same All-Star squad rule as MLB - no player representative from Seattle, San Jose, or Kansas City

Posted by: emanon13 | July 19, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Joseph and Jaime on this list is just too funny. Jaime has been over the hill for the last 3 seasons and is just a black hole for possession. Joseph to his credit is trying to change his life, but come on man he has played in a handful of matches. I hope those of you that want him to replace Bradley should Bradley leave the USMNT spot vacant see this as a sign. Arena has gotten old and conservative. So he likes to stick with the old guard and that is why the US sucked in 2006.

Posted by: no_recess | July 19, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

@PrinceBuster21

You don't think Najar is all-star material, but Jaime is. Are you serious?

Posted by: no_recess | July 19, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

it's a shame how Garber left Stephen Strasburg off the all-star team.

Posted by: hungrypug | July 19, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Definitely off-topic, but someone above mentioned the USOC game vs. Harrisburg.....

Lotsa youse whiners have been complaining about ticket prices for USOC games. Well, if you buy tickets in advance for Wednesday night's game, it's a $15 cover price, and parking is....wait for it...FREE!!!

It's $15 just to park @ RFK for United games. On Wed. night, you get your seat thrown in for that amount. Plus, it's a great venue, and you can't beat sitting a few yards from the field. Slso, it's your only chance to see DC United score goals.

Posted by: fischy | July 19, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

A bit surprised Arena didn't use one of his spots to honor Moreno. I think Arena probably knows Moreno's impact best of all. Moreno won 3 cups for Arena. Moreno participated in training with the US National Team when Arena coached them.

Posted by: neil_g | July 19, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Moreno, a *Bolivian*, participated in training with the USMNT?

Posted by: Juan-John1 | July 19, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

THIS JUST IN, from www.dcunited.com:

"Though the results of recent weeks will sting United's loyal fan base, [Donovan's] words are a reminder of the type of young talent that the club has within its ranks. The exciting play of Najar, Bill Hamid, and JORDAN GRAYE is cause for optimism in these turbulent times. Additionally, the work ethic of new signing Pablo Hernandez and the OBVIOUS QUALITY of designated player Branko Boskovic are going to impact this team in the coming weeks."

If anyone was wondering what happened to Saddam Hussein's Minister of Information Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf, it seems as though DCU hired him to write press releases.

Posted by: HWLongfellow | July 19, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

@PrinceBuster21

You don't think Najar is all-star material, but Jaime is. Are you serious?

Posted by: no_recess
--------------------------

Dead serious...but I think you and I might not agree on what an All-Star game is for. It is not necessarily just the best players in the league, especially when it comes to the commish's picks.

So yeah, I stand by my comment. Leaving Najar out and honoring Moreno is a good call (though I know full well Jaime is now a mere shadow of his former self as a player).

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | July 19, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

It's been awhile...

I haven't given up on the club.

I have, however, been locked out of all things Washington Post by the corporate censors at PNC. So to Senor Goff and the other WaPo staffers, whatever you all did to piss off the folks in Pittsburgh, please make amends because I'm actually working these days...

Would have liked to have seen Najar get the All-Star nod - if anyone from the Black and Red has "earned" a spot - it's him.

Jamie's inclusion must be linked to some manner of retirement announcement soon. Perhaps the manager's position next year?

I don't think the club needs to make a headline signing, that said, Boskovic and Hernandez are no more proven than high draft picks from the ACC.

I left at the 83rd minute Sunday night - no one in MLS has to be honest in defending DC United right now. Our attacking players are collecting the ball and turning to see 6 opposing players in front of them because we don't build up well and our back line is so soft its a numbers game - throw them forward and eventually you'll score.

I've missed everyone.

Any chance we can get Kevin Prince Boateng on loan from Pompey on Saturday?

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | July 19, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Why? Have I missed something? My impression is that Jaime has looked not so great this past year...

Posted by: alan19 | July 19, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Best 11-15 players should be brought in b/c they are having great seasons. The rest should be highlight league stars, young and old.

Jaime and Najar could have both been chosen, but Bruce only recently saw Najar live. I'm guessing he would have gotten picked had DC played the Gals in June, not July.

Either way, Jaime deserves to be recognized as the player who has contributed the most to this league . . . with Landy being the only other player to have, over the course of their time in MLS, brought the league to new heights.

Posted by: delantero | July 19, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we can get Sal Zizzo...unless we used that slot up on Perkins. Or Szetela. I can't recall how these made up things work.

I think it goes:
1) LA
2) NY
3) Everyone else
?

Posted by: Reignking | July 20, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Longfellow, Graye came within inches of taking it to the house on Sunday. Coast to coast. Against far and away the best squad in the league. It would have easily been goal of the year for this club (not that there's a lot of competition there). The kid's got game.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | July 20, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse

He's got game, but he ain't ready for the primetime yet.

Posted by: PEddy | July 20, 2010 1:27 AM | Report abuse

@ Godfather_of_Goals

Are you serious? Are you going to forgive an outside back for 'coming close' on offense when his job is to DEFEND? I don't care if he was a foot away from scoring, a yard away from scoring (which he was), or hit the post. He's paid to protect the goalie and his inside defenders. If you want to get apologetic, you picked the wrong player. And keep in mind, it is TWO GAMES that he has he cost us points.

I feel like I shouldn't need to support my point. I thought it would be too obvious. Oops, my bad.

I support good young players; I support getting players who aren't ready READY for their roles. He's not. Is that really a confrontational position?

Posted by: HWLongfellow | July 20, 2010 1:39 AM | Report abuse

I am exhausted from all this Jordan Graye debating/bashing. His two awful passes besides, he is still an exciting young talented player. He is also further proof of the success DC United's academy has brought (having played at basically all youth levels for DC Untied).

We as fans can't complain that the league needs to develop talent; while also complaining about young and inexperienced players playing too much. If you want the league to get serious about developing young talent, expect a few bumps of the road.

Reignking…. I think DC United traded away our allocation pick in the Perkins deal. We are now 15th (Philidelpdia are 16th because they sign Orozco). So I doubt we get Sal Zizzo, unless we try to trade someone. If the website I am looking at is accurate it is San Jose, KC, then a bunch of other teams. LA is like 13th.

Also, MLSnet, specifically, the Superliga site is reporting Bornstein is joing the UNAL Tigres. I think that’s a good move for him. I always bashed him but his play in the World Cup was improved. If he can improve some more he could be a solid left back for the next cycle.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 20, 2010 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Right after I typed all that up I went to Ives's website. They confirm the Bornstein move. Also, his twitter account says that the Sal Zizzo move to MLS will have a weighted lottery to decided a team. Not sure how it is weighted. I imagine the rules are they keep pulling out names until LA or Red Bulls get called. Or Arena is happy.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 20, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Zizzo isn't up for allocation. Weighted lottery, with I believe the lesser teams having higher odds.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 20, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

According to Carlisle (who knows his s&*t) Kansas City is our main rival for his services. As they already have several wingers, I think we have a shot.

I've wanted Zizzo playing for United for years.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 20, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

I would like Zizzo. Thanks for the link UD. So your saying sucking has its perks every once in a while...

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 20, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

@PrinceBuster21

You know what your right. We should continue to reward people for their efforts in the past. I really wish DCU and MLS would stop living as if it is 1998. This was a great opportunity for a youngster like Najar, who earned it, to play against the likes of a Manchester United. Jaime HAD his time and it is a shame he is taking an opportunity away from someone younger than him. I love Jaime. He is one of the best in MLS history, but he should have hung up his boots two years ago.

Posted by: no_recess | July 20, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Man, it was stupid when Michael Jordan was allowed to play in the all-star game when he signed with the Wizards.

Sometimes celebrating the old is fine.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 20, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry but the way this team has played this year no one on DCU should be at the All Star game.

Najar is just too inconsistent and just has not put in enough quality performances to justify an All Star slot.

In Jaime, i love the guy, and I think he will probably go down as the best DCU player we have ever had, but if the All Star game is to acknowledge the current crop of players, I'm afraid a 30 to 45 minute player, one the worst team in the League, is not one of them.

Posted by: dcufan531 | July 20, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Jaime's selection is about as politcial as one can get. Kevin pressured Garber to add him (The Payne family and the Morenos are very close), so it is tribute to his overall career, not in any way a reflection of the season either for Jaime or his team.

Watch him take the MLS captain's armband when he subs in. This is politics at their finest.

Posted by: mightymax | July 20, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Any news on Omar Bravo escaping Jorge Vergara for Kansas City?

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 20, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

He's dancing on the pedlles. Lance could take it today.

Exciting stage.

umm yeah and Bravo to KC and Zizzo to KC.

Posted by: Southeasterner | July 20, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

@mightymax

That's funny because it should be Garber pressuring Payne to field a team that is competitive.

Posted by: no_recess | July 20, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Graye/Wallace can attack but don't defend very well, and Allsopp/Cristman can work behind the ball but can't attack very well.

That's a fine kettle of fish, isn't it.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 20, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

OWNTF, what can our midfield do?

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 20, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I have zero problem with Garber honoring (correct me if I'm wrong) the last MLS original in a meaningless All Star game against a legendary club. Najar has been a great story for us as fans of DCU, but he wouldn't have made the roster anyway - though as others have speculated, had we played Bruce's boys earlier than Sunday, perhaps he would have been a coach's selection. The point is, this is clearly the end of the road for Jaime, and its a classy move by Garber to honor his career (rather than selecting Henry).

Posted by: VTUnited | July 20, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I'm continually amazed with the "what have you done for me lately" thinking among some Insiders. Moreno was winning championships for United while some of you were still playing rec league U8 soccer.

Is this how we will treat all of our aging veterans? If so, what incentive do the players have to bleed for us? We get angry with athletes who take the money and run. Is it any different when we punish those players whose bodies can't give what they used to give?

Moreno deserves more than the disrespect some on this blog are giving him. Should he have retired? In hindsight, yes. But I'm glad he's on the all-star team, and I thank him for his 15 years of service in a United kit.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | July 20, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Moreno deserves more than the disrespect some on this blog are giving him.
Posted by: Rand-al-Thor
=============

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 20, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

And yes, I was in my u10 league when he helped win DC United its first 'ship. It was a rainy celebration too if my memory serves me correct.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 20, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I don't think Najar was even born yet when Moreno was playing in the EPL.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 20, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

King Tut wasn't even born yet.

Is Ralston going to the All-Star game?

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 20, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

DC United Open Cup game v Harrisburg at the 'Plex Wed night for $15 including parking.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 20, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

@PrinceBuster21

Posted by: no_recess
-------------------------

No reason for the sarcasm, no_recess. We just disagree.

This was one of two commissioner's all-star picks that are often used for reasons other than a given player's current form. Garber chose to honor Jaime, but even if it was given to Najar that STILL would have been true.

A case can certainly be made for recognizing an up-and-comer like Najar, but as good as he's looked he hasn't yet "earned" an all-star spot yet, either.

Also, you are acting like Moreno got a spot that otherwise was going to Najar, but we have no reason to believe that he would have been next on Garber's list.

Anyway, I love both our old guy and our young guy. I'm glad DCU will be represented.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | July 20, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

You know it's pretty bad when the only two people we are even discussing as all star candidates for DCU are an 17 year old kid and a guy old enough to be his Dad.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | July 20, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

WHy isn't Beckham a commissioner's pick? Or Henry?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 20, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse