Sal Zizzo to Chivas USA

Chivas USA has won the MLS special lottery for the rights to U.S. midfielder Sal Zizzo, who signed with the league this week after spending a few years in Germany. Chivas had the third-best odds, behind D.C. United and the Kansas City Wizards. Zizzo, 23, starred on the flanks for the U.S. under-20 national team and signed with Hanover after two seasons at UCLA.

By Steve Goff  |  July 21, 2010; 5:32 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS  | Tags: D.C. United, MLS, Sal Zizzo
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zizzo lottery, D.C. United news, Mathis' retirement?
Next: Video: Brazilian coach brawls with radio reporters

Comments

shocker, he somehow manages to end up in Cali. is this stuff done behind closed doors?

Posted by: VTUnited | July 21, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Would have liked to get him but not a massive loss. Hope he has a great career and regains his u-20 form.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 21, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Was the envelope frozen?

Posted by: Reignking | July 21, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure that it's monitored by the same group of auditors that are used for the NBA Draft Lottery...

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | July 21, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

I agree with VTUnited. What a fix.

Posted by: kevbalt | July 21, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Zizzo my nizzo

Posted by: Reignking | July 21, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

It's been that kind of year, huh?

Posted by: fischy | July 21, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

I agree with VTUnited and in addition, I'd like to point out that at least when we got Freddy Adu, we gave something up for him in order for him to play in his hometown.

Posted by: godpere | July 21, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

It's a weighted lottery, meaning that DC sank to the bottom.

Seriously though, if Zizzo is going to regain his U-20 form, DC is not the place to do it. First, United players are prone to hamstring injuries and concussions. Second, the morale can't be too good, given the record. Third, everyone hates Washington because of the people they elected to come here.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 21, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

I would also kind of like to know how Zizzo ended up in a weighted lottery, as opposed to the regular Nats allocation list. Fischy posted the rules yesterday, and the first one was that to be eligible for the lottery, you could have no senior caps with the Nats. Zizzo DOES have a cap, so what gives?

Posted by: VTUnited | July 21, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Sucks that we didn't get Zizzo, but our odds for Cody Arnoux just increased quite a bit.

Posted by: jason1551 | July 21, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

when's the announcement coming that U-20 superstar Miley Cyrus has signed an offer to take part in an "It Takes More" DCU concert?

Posted by: diego_r | July 21, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Our Wednesday streak is over.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 21, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Looks like our pathetic player personnel folks in the front office have todo their jobs now and improve our horrible team talent level. Unfortunately Zizzo didn't fall in our laps. :-(

Posted by: SadieV | July 21, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

@ I-270Exit1

Damn. The reason Zizzo cannot be a DC player is because it would be fatal to his health. What is happening to us?

Also, what a sham.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 21, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Umm, am we supposed to say "It takes more!" or can I still say Vamos United?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 21, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Streaming is up on the DC United website: http://www.dcunited.com/

VAMOS UNITED

&

IT TAKES MORE

:-)

Posted by: tcbannon | July 21, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

wow. Boskovic in the 1st minute. It's Winsday, baby!

Posted by: fedssocr | July 21, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Stream's dead man, the streams dead.

Posted by: tcbannon | July 21, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Rats. Guess we'll all just have to pin our hopes on the next savior to come to DCU.

Until than we'll rely on Jaime Moreno (which at this point is a sad statement).

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | July 21, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Cried my friggin' eyes out watching Miley Cyrus in "The Last Song" on my flight home from Seattle...

Boyzz looks to have scored a goal.
Incredible that DCU is really living in the dark ages with their web content. Get with it dudes.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 21, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

What kind of bandwidth does the 'Plex have for the once a year, commercial free, free to view web stream?

It's a miracle it worked at all.

Posted by: JkR- | July 21, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Jeezy-Peezy no-stream.

We just had this conversation but it was fun:

Just what does it take more of?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 21, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

maybe the club needs a broadband sponsor

Posted by: fedssocr | July 21, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

maybe the club needs a broadband sponsor

Posted by: fedssocr | July 21, 2010 9:00 PM
===============================

Better if the 'Plex had one...

Posted by: JkR- | July 21, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Ok, fedssocr & JkR-
That's a good start but it but it should be like this:

IT TAKES MORE broadband sponsors but better if the 'Plex had one...

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 21, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Red Devils up on the PU.... Anyone else have an opinion on Twellman's commentary?? Being less irritating than Bretos can't be that difficult, but...

Posted by: DadRyan | July 21, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

IT TAKES MORE Wednesday night matches against lower division teams.

Esta final
United 2 Harrisburg 0

Boskivic 1st min. Khumalo 47th min.

VAMOS UNITED!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 21, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Good effort by the DC Wednesday team. Anyone who was late getting situated for either half could have missed the goals.

Hernandez scored after what I beleive was a pass back from the left endline from Quaranta. Boyzz had a beautiful goal to the far post upper 90 but it sure looked like he intended it as a cross. Harrisburg had a player sent off with about 10 minutes left.

My favorite moment was a nice long passing sequence in the 2nd half where the ball moved around all over the field before McTavish hit the crossbar. McT can make some decent contributions to the offense against a team of H'burg's caliber. He played left fullback and Stephen King played right fullback.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 21, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Joel_
Thanks for the report.

IT TAKES MORE Joels!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 21, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Dude, Boskovic scored the first goal.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 21, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Affirmative, Bosko with the first goal, Boyzz with the second on a very, very, very bad goalkeeping error.

Speaking of the goalkeeper, here's a feature on him:

I hope to have a game story on PSW tomorrow morning.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | July 21, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

The highlights of that Celtic-Porto game at Fenway looked pretty cool. Fenway looked like an old soccer stadium in Europe.

Posted by: Juan-John1 | July 21, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Donovan to Man City?

Posted by: silverrey | July 22, 2010 5:14 AM | Report abuse

Let's see... MLS rigs the lottery so that Zizzo can sit on the bench at Chivas as opposed to playing at DC United. What a great career move for Zizzo.

Posted by: Ron16 | July 22, 2010 7:08 AM | Report abuse

@silverrey, I don't think Donovan is going to MC. I didn't see the press conference, but I think the way that goes is a local reporter asks the visiting manager of important team Y "What about [local] player X?" and the manager (being publicity-aware) says "Player X is a very good player, the kind of player we'd like to have at our very important club." And then the press get to report that their local player is on the radar screen of very important club Y. But he isn't.

Posted by: glfrazier | July 22, 2010 7:13 AM | Report abuse

How cool is this? I nice article in Yanks Abroad re another DCU acadamy product. Maybe there's a future? \

Posted by: glfrazier | July 22, 2010 7:22 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link glfrazier. Hopefully he develops into a first team player who can contribute. I love that DC United has what appears to be a very productive academy.

Where is my game report Rand-al-Thor? haha

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 22, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

@grubbsbl or anybody
What is PSW?

I hope to have a game story on PSW tomorrow morning.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | July 21, 2010 11:29 PM |

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 22, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Yea, now that I think about it I have no clue. I figured it was code for this blog, hahaha.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 22, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

IT TAKES MORE code breakers!!!

VAMOS UNITED!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 22, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

PSW = Potomac Soccer Wire, a very fine local blog.

Posted by: JkR- | July 22, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Congrats to United for the win over our local team last night. Being perfect on Wednesdays is some small accomplishment, but let's take what we can from this season. After reading the match report I can only conclude that DC United would make an excellent USL-2 side.

I had the family in Philly last night to watch the Union lose to Man U's third-team players. It was pretty cool when Berbatov came on around the 60th minute and the crowd roared. Several Man U fans and even a few PU fans were ejected from our section for continuously taunting each other.

I took exception to one PU fan who spotted my DC United hat (it goes well with my Giggs jersey) and loudly commented that I was a fan of the worst team in the league. I asked him how many stars the PU badge had above it and told him to come see me when the PU trophy case looks more like ours and less like the Red Bulls'. I always liked Nowak as a player and especially as a coach, and heck, I even liked Fred as a player, but it's hard to wish them success when they play their soccer in that town. Reminds me of the brief time Jaime spent with the Red Bulls.

Posted by: AmishJim | July 22, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Rand-al-Thor quenches our thirst.

a heref="http://www.potomacsoccerwire.com/news/460/12026">Home field advantage helps D.C. United advance in U.S. Open Cup

Mia Hamm: “Carve someone up and see what happens

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 22, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 22, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for link. Maybe we can beat an MLS side now?

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 22, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: benonthehill | July 22, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

USA!

Posted by: gbrandonthomas | July 22, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Joe Doc's article on Mia Hamm is must read for any youth coach.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 22, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I just hope none of our academy players get picked off :/

Posted by: KHSpartan | July 22, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Quit screwing around and sack up and go get RAUL already! The league is passing us by!

Posted by: alan19 | July 22, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

interestingly, DCU calls Shanosky a defender, YA calls him a midfielder. Either way, he's 18, and I don't think he has the full two years in the Academy to allow for a Academy signing (the article says he joined last year) this season. he must also have college opportunities, unless he's a rising senior, or wants to take the shot at the senior team next season. good sign to have a U-18 playing with the U-20s though.

isn't the DCU Academy the only MLS one that still charges for participation? and yet seems incredibly productive? (not that surprising, I guess, there's a lot of soccer talent in these parts)

Posted by: joshuaostevens | July 22, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse