Shakira to headline Closing; Mandela uncertain

By Liz Clarke
The 2010 World Cup will close Sunday evening much as it began: With Colombian pop star Shakira performing to a packed house, and former president Nelson Mandela's attendance the subject of intense speculation.

A 30-minute Closing Ceremony will begin at 6:30 p.m. (12:30 p.m. ET) at Johannesburg's Soccer City and be broadcast live to an estimated global audience of 500 million.

Shakira is scheduled to perform the World Cup anthem "Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)" with South Africa's Freshlyground, which she debuted at the tournament's June 10 opening concert. Other artists on the bill: Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Jozi, Stoan Seate, Slikour, Zuluboy,, Nigeria's 2Face, Ghana's Samini and popular local traditional group Ihashi Elimhlophe. The production is said to be more edgy and youthful than the traditional production that opened the tournament.

More...

At 8:30 p.m., Spain and Holland kick off in an all-European final that will produce a first-time World Cup champion. Holland has reached the final twice without hosting the trophy, in 1974 and 1978. Spain, the reigning European champion, is making its first appearance in the final.

But the greatest source of speculation is whether Mandela, who turns 92 on July 18, will attend and possibly present the World Cup trophy to the victors.

It was unclear whether Mandela, who is in ailing health, intended to attend the June 11 Opening Ceremony. But any notion was ruled out following the death of his 13-year-old great-granddaughter Zenani, killed in a car accident while returning from the concert in Soweto the night before.

"Madiba has an open invitation, but it is up to his family to decide on the day," said Jermaine Craig, of South Africa's Local Organizing Committee, at a media briefing.

By Liz Clarke  |  July 8, 2010; 5:07 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , South Africa  | Tags: 2010 World Cup, Nelson Mandela, Shakira
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Spain vs. Germany: World Cup final set as Spain wins, 1-0
Next: Oracle octopus has company in the animals-picking-winners department

Comments

I am curious, do people actually watch these ceremonies? I probably won't turn then TV on ‘til five minutes before kickoff.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 8, 2010 7:30 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you Grubbs; I'd rather watch the Community Access Channel!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 8, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

I dont think many watch it especially since for some reason the announcer group tends to be much louder than the overall performances. They talk through the whole thing sometimes and I feel like its a scattered broadcast going back and forth from the announcers to the performances.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | July 8, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Meh, better than U2 I suppose...

So kick off is 230pm Eastern right?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 8, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Hey Dips-Sence!
Remember the guy at the Dips games that banged the drum (he was the only one that I remember)? He would drum Bam-Bam-Bam, the response was supposed to be "Let's-Go-Dips" but everybody in our section replied "Go-to the-other side."

We called him Dip-Sh*t! Ah the memories.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 8, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

The DVR records from the start at 1:30 but I fast forward to the kickoff which is ALWAYS on time - right at 2:30.
I'm the guy at work that knows all about the World Cup.....except when they asked about some Octopus predicting the teams - I had no idea what they were talking about. I'll watch some of the post-game just to hear the "experts."
All told I think the coverage has been pretty good by ESPN. I think it would have been even better if they had control of cameras and replays. But they have done well to watch their monitors and discuss the FIFA feeds. And most of the announcers they hired have been good quality.
Good tournament.

Posted by: marksman37 | July 8, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Mandela is uncertain about Shakira?

Posted by: Reignking | July 8, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

I'd much rater watch Shakira than whatever grubbsbi and 9Nine9 are watching.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 8, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Why hasn't Henry signed yet? Is he waiting until after the final?

Posted by: Reignking | July 8, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Crazy story in the FT -- regular fans shut out of semi-final because the runways in Durban were restricted because of private jets:

"Wire services reported that among the VIPs heading for the semi-final by jet were Spain’s King Juan Carlos, South African President Jacob Zuma, actor Leonardo DiCaprio and socialite Paris Hilton."

Posted by: OWNTF | July 8, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

If he doesn't sign I'm gonna be disappointed, I've already got tickets for a game up there after the USA-Brazil one.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 8, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I would have thought Waka Waka would be performed by Fozzie Bear.

Has this joke been done before? Anyone? Has the first person to mention it already been taken down to the woodshed?

Posted by: fallschurch1 | July 8, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Shakira's song title suggest that she'll be serenading Fozzie Bear during the closing ceremony. One can only hope so...

Posted by: Kev29 | July 8, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

That's so two minutes ago, Kev.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | July 8, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Did someone just say Shakira was better than U2? Different strokes for different folks, but yerouttayermind

Posted by: delantero | July 8, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

- Henry is waiting for the MLS rule exemption that allows him to use his hands.

- I can understand shutting down runways for heads of state, but for heads of hair and air?

- My friend in Madrid hopes that Mick Jagger shows up to support the Netherlands.

- Kenny Cooper is out for 3 months with a broken ankle, suffered in training.

- Frank Simek to Carlisle in League One from Sheffield (United, Wednesday, Friday, I dont know).

- In a show of bipartisanship, 17 Dems and 8 Reps sent a letter to FIFA supporting the USA's 2014 bid. I'm avoiding the obvious political snarkiness here.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 8, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I'd rather watch 'Different Strokes' than U2 or Shakira with the Waka-Waka what-not!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 8, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Even I, a huge Shakira fan, wouldn't say that. Well, I'm just an old-school Spanish-only Shakira fan -- some of her English crap is just awful.

But even taking Donde Estan Los Ladrones v. Joshua Tree, their best albums...wow, it's actually close, but I'd have to take Joshua Tree.

Posted by: Reignking | July 8, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

That's so two minutes ago, Kev.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | July 8, 2010 9:35 AM

:-D

Posted by: Kev29 | July 8, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Washington Examiner seems to have taken over United coverage. A story on Boskovic:

Includes this quote from Onalfo on whether to change formations: "There's always that balance of having a system and player dictating systems. For us, we have a real clear way that we're playing right now and we're successful with it, so we're not going to change that."

Posted by: benonthehill | July 8, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

"Achtung Baby" and "Joshua Tree" were the albums that changed my opinion of U2 for the better*. Zooropa was OK, but it was all downhill from there. It's seems that all they do now is to re-record "Where the Streets Have No Name" with different choirs.

Mrs. 270 will disagree because she has "Boy" on vinyl.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 8, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I am curious, do people actually watch these ceremonies?********

Mr. BaRRD watched the concert, but I think that had more to do with Fergie's outfit.

(Don't even go there, I-270. I do NOT want to imagine Sir Alex in skimpy clothes.)

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | July 8, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Eh, U2 resurged lately (Vertigo) but the last album was crap.

And when Shakira isn't trying other genres like electronica (She-Wolf, ug) she's great. "Donde" is just fantastic.

Posted by: Reignking | July 8, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

One thing is certain, we'd all rather LOOK at Shakira than some old farts from Ireland.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 8, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I-270, I think you should reconsider. I will be at the beach –home of the Ocean City Barons (dodging oil balls...).

Actually, you’re probably right. Shakira is better than the hairy man that will undoubtedly sit right in front of me.

I can’t take U2 seriously since that South Park Bono episode.

Overall, I agree. ESPN has done a good job covering this World Cup. Minus Harkes pronunciations of Uruguay and Paraguay.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 8, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

"Waka Waka"

Isn't that Fozzy Bear's signature line? There are lions, rhinos and elephants in Africa, but no bears. Why dedicate a closing ceremony to a non-native bear who tells bad jokes? Although, that also leads into the question of why have Shakira, also a non-native, perform at the closing ceremony.

Posted by: DrBeaker | July 8, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

nyrb is hyping july 14th as the day they announce their new DP

Posted by: joe_hill | July 8, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Now the the WC is almost over and England was eliminated a while back, I suggest that the BECKHAM! drinking game be changed to LEBRON! I think Sportscenter devoted 10 minutes to his Twitter account.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 8, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Blasphemy . . Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby as their best albums?

Boy or War, possibly The Unforgettable Fire. Tough call.

Posted by: delantero | July 8, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

@Joe: Bastille Day is fitting, I suppose.

I-270: You'll be hammered by 9:15 tonight if you're watching The Decision (yes, that's what they're calling it).

Posted by: ldmay | July 8, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

"You mess with the Para, you mess with the Uru"

-John Harkes.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 8, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I-270, We all will be in ER with alcohol poisoning if we change to those terms. I like where your head is though..

I am watching Burn Notice tonight and not his silly announcement-hype-machine show. I'll find out in the morning where 'Bron signed.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 8, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

"You mess with the Para, you mess with the Uru"
-John Harkes.
Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish
===============

He was referring to NYRB's Uruparapovich.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 8, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Introducing Gerwyn Jones?? Does anyone know if he's got a good shot of moving up to our 1st team?

Posted by: nairbsod | July 8, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

"Mrs. 270 will disagree because she has "Boy" on vinyl."

-----------------------------------------------------

I've got "Boy" on vinyl, and I have to agree with Mrs. I-270.

On a related subject as a duly deputized representative of the Community Access Channel Association, I have to object to the implied disparagement of our members' programming. Most people don't realize what a great service the members of CACA really provide. Check out your local CACA stations.

Posted by: fischy | July 8, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

@nairsbod -- Thanks for the link about Gerwyn Jones. When I see posts like this, I am left to wonder if you are a regular reader of the Caernarfon Denbigh Herald?

Posted by: fischy | July 8, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

How serious are we about Gerwyn Jones? I played for the STL Super 20 side, and the PDL team. I wish I had a British accent. I also don't consider myself good enough to play for an MLS side.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 8, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Not to belabor an off-topic point, but the early U2 stuff was not very good. They were poor musicians, even for a rock band, and Bono's songwriting skills and singing were immature. I saw a documentary (sorry, not on MoCo cable access) where they admitted that they played a lot of originals when the band formed because they couldn't play covers. How hard is it to learn 3- or 4-chord rock songs?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 8, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

And what tribe is Shakira from?

Posted by: GeneWells | July 8, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I'll watch the "closing ceremonies" - if only as a vain attempt to hang on to the last vestiges of the World Cup. 2014 is a long time from now

Posted by: diego_r | July 8, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

The Barranquilla tribe...

Posted by: Reignking | July 8, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Ronaldo is saying Felipe Melo better not come back to Brazil for holidays. Which is a bigger mistake, barely touching a ball with your head that goes into your own net, or picking up a prostitute who turns out to be a man?

Posted by: GeneWells | July 8, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

@GeneWells - cheating with a teammate's wife is worse than both. but that wasnt your question. Id guess most Brazilians would be ticked at Melo for the selfish red card, not the flukey own goal. regardless, wheres your source for the quote?

Posted by: VTUnited | July 8, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Ronaldo went on Twitter several days ago

Posted by: GeneWells | July 8, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

The point is, who is fat Ronaldo to declare a version of a fatwah on Felipe Melo.

Posted by: GeneWells | July 8, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GeneWells | July 8, 2010 1:29 PM

a WC champion, and the record holder for most goals at the WC???

Posted by: VTUnited | July 8, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Good call grubbsbl. Burn Notice will have more action leading to its predictable conclusion than The Decision will. Sadly my 12-year old will insist on watching the whole LBJ debacle, I mean spectacle.

Posted by: ldmay | July 8, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

The predictable conclusion is the whole point!!!!! haha

Burn Notice is the stuff of legends that only CSI Miami can compete with.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 8, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

No Burn Notice tonight.

Posted by: Reignking | July 8, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

In other news, the Freedom played to a scoreless draw at Sky Orange last night. I believe they will be on FSC Sunday evening (vs. Old Pride).

Posted by: universityandpark | July 8, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

U2 Blow.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 8, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

So Freedom plays two scoreless draws in 4 days . . . I guess that is what happens when you stack 3 games (All-Stars) in a week in 90+ heat . . .

and Sky Blue is actually sky blue this year . . . amazing it took them a year to figure that out . . . . although "sky orange" always makes me think fondly of the refinery skies of South Jersey . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | July 8, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GeneWells | July 8, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse
===========================

Either way, it's a crying game . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | July 8, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

. . . but you'd think Ronaldo would have more sympathy for another fellow who scored unintentionally on his own team . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | July 8, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

. . . I mean Ronaldo also barely touched . . . oh never mind . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | July 8, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait to here the Vuvuzela Horns during the trophy presentation :-))

Posted by: jc1123 | July 8, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

'Holland has reached the final twice without hosting the trophy, in 1974 and 1978.'

I assume you mean 'hoisting', not hosting.

Posted by: nnelson1 | July 8, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse