Soccer TV listings: MLS, friendlies, Mexico

What are you going to watch?
THURSDAY

Mexico, Pumas-Toluca 1 p.m. Telemundo
Brazil, Internacional-Flamengo 3 p.m. GolTV
Friendly, New York-Manchester City 3:30 p.m. FSC
Friendly, Kansas City-Manchester United 6 p.m. FSC
MLS, Seattle-Colorado 10:30 p.m. FSC

By Steve Goff  |  July 22, 2010; 12:11 PM ET
Categories:  MLS , Mexico , TV , Women , Youth soccer  | Tags: MLS, Mexican soccer, Soccer on TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Brazilian coach brawls with radio reporters
Next: Matchnight: D.C. United-Portsmouth

Comments

I'll be at the DCU-Pompey match, if for no other reason than to use my Special Game D Ticket.

Posted by: Juan-John1 | July 22, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 22, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I'll watch the Henry debut. And the second game of theirs.

I probably won't go to the game against Portsmouth. I'd rather watch the u-19 final.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 22, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

PUMAS, from the stands hopefully.

Posted by: BooThisMan | July 22, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Man United fans, REPENT!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 22, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

US v Nigeria

Posted by: seahawkdad | July 22, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I like how right after the opening sentence of the article in which the cleric denounces the sinful badge, there is a link to buy a jersey.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 22, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I have 2 midfield tickets in 206 for $20 total if anyone wants to meet me at the statue honoring that famous racist, George Preston Marshall, at 7:15.

Posted by: paulkp | July 22, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

The Twitter world, at least the US Soccer section of it, is abuzz with some great(-ish, maybe) news that Charlie Davies played a reserve match today, going 90 minutes, as the captain, and... Scored a goal.

So happy for him, really hope to see him in a couple of weeks, no matter how unrealistic that may be.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 22, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Thanks 270. I guess B&RRD is on "a path to sin." Please post when you get there, and let us know what you think!

Posted by: OWNTF | July 22, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

MLS and maybe a friendly or two on the tube. United vs Pompey with butt in RFK seat.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | July 22, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Abby vs Marta, Saturday at the 'Plex.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | July 22, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

. . . not to mention Camille v. Sonia . . . and I am sure Abby is preparing to be "Buehl-dozed"

Posted by: OWNTF | July 22, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Wow Spain winning the World Cup and Contador winning the Tour de France in the same month. What a painful July.

The way Dallas is playing these days I'm actually looking forward to the Dallas vs. Toronto game.

Posted by: Southeasterner | July 22, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Damn. I'm in the outer banks and can't find a place with FSC. Anyone able to help me out?

Posted by: bspence11 | July 22, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Veetle is an official partner in the tournament, and so they'll be streaming every game.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 22, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Outer banks dude, hope your bandwidth is up for it:

Posted by: JkR- | July 22, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

O, that was some time ago.

Anybody here?

Anybody eating this? (chomp, chomp)....

Posted by: JkR- | July 22, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Abby vs Marta, Saturday at the 'Plex.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | July 22, 2010 4:59 PM
_________________________________________

Unfortunately, I will be out of town this weekend. Since the extent of the Post's coverage of this event will be iffy as usual, I'd greatly appreciate your descriptions of the highlights. Ditto for the U20s vs. Nigeria on Sunday, which I suspect will be watched by more DVRs than hominids in real time.

Here is an interesting article on WPS:

However, it doesn't say whether Lohman ever lived in Boalsburg.

Posted by: universityandpark | July 22, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | July 22, 2010 5:17 PM
________________________________________

It could be the other way around. I don't believe Wambach has caused any season-ending injuries this season...yet.

Posted by: universityandpark | July 22, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Will do, U&P. Look for it on PSW.

But don't be so hard on our favorite sports section (even if I generally avoid the editorial section). Paul Tenorio has been doing a good job with the Freedom, when he's not assigned elsewhere.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | July 22, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

MLS games, U20 World Cup and Freedom game at the Plex.

Posted by: jmingus | July 22, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Don't count Andy Schleck out yet Southeasterner... :)

Posted by: DadRyan | July 22, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Can't stand club friendlies (National Friendlies OK). Mexican League has more Gringos every year but I don't have Galavision, Telefutura or the Aztec freeking Channel.

(Off Topic but)

Me watch Tour de France. Sunday's final stage le Tour offers awesome footage of Paris.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 22, 2010 11:39 PM | Report abuse

anyone know if young yank Greg Garza is travelling with Sporting Lisbon?

Posted by: troy6 | July 22, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Alan Gordon....how do you still have a job?

Posted by: VTUnited | July 23, 2010 12:23 AM | Report abuse

funny you mention that 9nine9. I just auto scanned my tv again yesterday and Azteca America or whatever showed up...

@troy, did a little digging for you on BS. Looks like Garza is on loan with GD Estoril... Yanks abroad forums over there.
Get your hands on a board yet?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 23, 2010 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Don't count Andy Schleck out yet Southeasterner... :)

Posted by: DadRyan | July 22, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

He needs to do something special in the time trial. Breaking away from wheel sucker Contador and his Spanish armada isn't going to happen in the remaining stages.

30 posts deep and nothing about the Henry goal. While the goal itself was nice it wasn't as amazing as the build-up by the rest of his team. With Angel and another DP in the lineup they are going to be a fun team to watch in a beautiful new stadium...too bad they don't have any fans! :-)

I watched parts of the LA and NY games and I'm finding it harder to believe we play in the same league...thank god we don't have relegation.

Posted by: Southeasterner | July 23, 2010 1:25 AM | Report abuse

Watched parts of the Red Bulls game last night and Henry looks the real deal (not that I doubted it). If they sign Rafa Marquez they could be an unstoppable force. Not to mention Kandji off the bench, or possibly going to a 4-3-3 and playing all three at once.

If I didn't hate them so much I could almost be a fan.

I hope 'Dinho signs with LA. I don't care if he look more and more like fat Ronaldo, 'Dinho can still ball.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 23, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Here is an interesting article on WPS:
Posted by: universityandpark
========

Another ex-Freedom who starts for another team. OWNTF, I hope you took your happy pill before you read this.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 23, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Mike Wise's column on Jaime.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 23, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Poopy McPoop seems to be taking his happy pills, maybe he could hook OWNTF up.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 23, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Nice article on Jaime. On the Mt. Rushmore of MLS, his face is carved into the Mountain.

Conspicuous absense of quotes from Kasper. No surprise, really, as he has never been a Jaime fan. He opposed his return in 2004 as he viewed Jaime as a vestige of an era prior to Kasper's arrival in DCU, an era he worked hard to repudiate. (Kasper wanted Gomez to wear #10 right away when he arrived; KP intervened and required that #10 remain unassigned for one season in tribute to Marco. Gomez wasn't assigned #10 until 2005.)

Jaime doesn't think too much of him either, as Kasper low-balled him in negotiations for a contract for his return and KP had to come in and close the deal.

Posted by: mightymax | July 23, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Greg Garza is with Estoril.

I caught the first half of the "Cali Derby" last night -- actually quite enjoyable...

Posted by: Reignking | July 23, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Nah, I can't find fault with the Freedom's decision not to protect Lohman. Philly is certainly getting a lot from her, so good for her and them. I think the Philly coach must be pretty damn good -- I also believe he was instrumental in the Albertson club program that has churned out so many top female players, including Allie Long and Alex Singer.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 23, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | July 23, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Great article to read with morning coffee, it's good for everyone to be reminded of Jaime Moreno's contributions.

When does SI return in all its glory??? This thread is handling all topics now.

Posted by: DCB23 | July 23, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

I noticed last night that Bright Dike, first round pick of the Crew, didn't even make the team this season and is playing for Portland.

Nice pick, Columbus.

Posted by: Reignking | July 23, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Yea Columnus dropped the ball on that one. Really no news today on the soccer front, it is killing me here at work.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 23, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Henry scored, with his foot, against Tottenham, but Spurs win 2-1. Internet reporting claims that Trezuguet wants to join Henry at NYRB next year.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 23, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I hope the MLS doesn't get Trezuguet. The guy hasn't been better than average in about 6 years.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 23, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

VaSoccerNews - Writing Contest titled:

"What the WPS Means to Me?" http://bit.ly/bLJYjR

Posted by: cwimmer77 | July 23, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

This is a couple days old, but for any Jens Voight fans out there, or for folks that don't think cyclists can be tough guys check this out.
I think he actually cracked 5 ribs and got stitches in his arm.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 23, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Another fun link: Blanc has suspended the entire French national team. I'm not sure what "suspended" means in this context... I would think something like starting over with a clean slate.

Posted by: glfrazier | July 23, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Here's the full link, with footage of the crash and the story about Jens finishing the stage on a kids bike with old school toe clips!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 23, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I want to see the sheep delay from yesterday.

Posted by: Reignking | July 23, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

What I could live without seeing ever again: Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz whoring it up with Contador.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 23, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Believe the French "suspension" means none of the players in their World Cup 23 will be called up for their next game, whenever and whatever that is.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 23, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I just read about that DR -- I'm guessing product placement?

Jacob: v Norway this fall

Posted by: Reignking | July 23, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Schleck's done. He lost almost 4 minutes to Alberto in the last TdF time trial last year. He was 100th plus place in the prologue. Doubt he can close the 8 seconds.

Bigger question is can Team Broom Wagon take the Argy Bargy . .

Posted by: delantero | July 23, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

This Tour just flew by, probably because it overlapped with the World Cup.

Posted by: Reignking | July 23, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

goal.com is reporting that Rafa Marquez ---> Jersey is a done deal, to be officially announced after the weekend.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | July 23, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

PhUnions signed Eduardo "Chaco" Coudet a pretty good midfielder who's played in the Mexican league for a few teams. He's a 35-year-old dyed blonde (last I saw) Argie whose also played in Spain.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 23, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Chacho - presumably as in Muchacho - not Chaco.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 23, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

So the Spanish will hold the World Cup, Wimbledon, and the Tour de France? Have they won anything played in their own country?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 23, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

They win every bullfight.

Posted by: Reignking | July 23, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Sasha goes 60 as Anderlecht wins the Belgian Super Cup, 1-0.

Posted by: Reignking | July 23, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Emo's hot @$$ girlfriend is chilling with him in Belgium or lonely back in the states...

Posted by: DadRyan | July 23, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

They win every bullfight.

Posted by: Reignking |
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

They didn't win this one. The bull prolly died in the end so you could technically call it a tie but in my book if it's a tie, THE BULL WINS...and I couyldn't be happier!!!

VAMOS EL TORO!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 23, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

VAMOS EL TORO!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 23, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

chalk one up for the bull.

Posted by: tcbannon | July 23, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

"I've never been to a bullfight, but if I ever do go, I'll be rooting for the bull."

Skip Caray

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 24, 2010 5:54 AM | Report abuse

The invisible match tonight? Special Game D, I'll be there with my two bottles of water. I get the feeling I won't have to worry about someone taking my seat.

I am looking forward to seeing Hernandez and Boskovic improve on what they showed at the plex.

Posted by: DCB23 | July 24, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: emanon13 | July 24, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

oh wow those U20'ers are going to be battling some tough conditions. Same tic? I'll support 'em.

Posted by: DCB23 | July 24, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Is Goff on vacation or something?

Posted by: FAkeemail9875 | July 24, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Yes, Steve is burning some time off. And so am I, giving tonight's match a miss. Capitol Weather Gang says low 90's at the final whistle...

Posted by: JkR- | July 24, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Is Goff on vacation or something?

Posted by: FAkeemail9875

Goff said he's sorta on vacation after constant posts leading up to and during the World Cup. Quality time with 'Wife of Insider' prolly.

Friday he usually posts the 'What are you going to watch?' and that's about it for the weekend except for breaking news or a game day addition.

By Saturday our collective A.D.D takes over as you can see...Ummmm See food.

VAMOS UNITED and VAMOS EL TORO!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 24, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

United's lack of television coverage and limp commitment to web streams for games not being telivised is really making the comparisons to the Seattle SuperSonics move more and more plausible in my opinion.

Maybe they're saving their pennies not broadcasting matches to build their new stadium...

BTW those tv listing posts come out on Thursdays generally.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 24, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I don't blame anybody for not broadcasting in season friendlies, in all reality, the game means nothing, especially against the 'Prestegious Portsmouth.'

The US Open matches are important but if they can't sell more than 2,000 tickets why spend money broadcasting them?

It looks like we are sitting out the international transfer window while the Pink Cows, Chicago Tire-fire and PU (as
in Philly Stinks) pass us by.

Perhaps Chang has run out of ker-ching. If we don't get a stadium soon Chang might have to relocate.

If United moves to Baltimore or further I WILL NOT FOLLOW!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 24, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Boscovic and Hernandez were added during the International Transfer window...

Posted by: JkR- | July 24, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Before getting your knickers in a twist over DCU moving to Baltimore, consider this:

From the Zero Milestone to the proposed site just beyond Dulles Airport: 35 miles

From the Zero Milestone to the proposed site just south of Oriole Park: 35 miles

Not a big deal.

Event-specific stadium in DC? Not a happening thing.

Baltimore beckons. Embrace those who want you and will give you what you want. Pickles Pub is calling.

Baltimore United - Believe in it.

Posted by: mightymax | July 24, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Dulles, Woodbridge, Landover, Gaithersburg, even Skaggsvill is DC enough to me.

Although I now live in (Old) York PA, I AM DC DAVE!!! I graduated at Edison HS where Andy Najar dropped out of (Vamos Eagles)!

I used to be an Orioles fan but when DC got the Nats, I dropped the O's with a quickness...it's a mental thing.

United moves to Baltimore (which is closer to Old York)...I'm not sure I could live with that.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 24, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Raul to Schalke, for 2 years, is official. I'm surprised he isn't going to something lesser, like Saudi Arabia or MLS.

Posted by: Reignking | July 24, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Goff, you need to get your game back. This blog is dead.

Posted by: kdiff813 | July 24, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, electricity is already dropping out here on the Hill--system overload I'm guessing--could be a dark night at the K.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | July 24, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I've still got juice over here by Potomac Ave metro but yeah could be a dark one...a thunderstorm would bring back some good memories!

Posted by: DCB23 | July 24, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

AP calling Najar a "phenom" in an article now highlighted on Yahoo.

I hate to see any kid (by kid I guess I mean 17 or under) hyped too much after Freddy. Move along, everyone, nothing to see here . . .

Posted by: fallschurch1 | July 24, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse