Spain vs. Germany: World Cup final set as Spain wins, 1-0

Carles Puyol's goal in the 73rd minute held up as Spain advanced to the World Cup final with a 1-0 win over Germany.

By Matt Bonesteel  |  July 7, 2010; 4:48 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Scotland , Spain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A few minutes with U.S. soccer coach Bob Bradley
Next: Shakira to headline Closing; Mandela uncertain

Comments

Hup Holland!

Posted by: GeneWells | July 7, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Que viva EspaƱa!!! Holanda. Eres el proximo a morir.

Posted by: fedster | July 7, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

My hopes to see Jermaine Jones and Charlie Davies in New York are starting to seem halfway possible. Davies played in Sochaux's first preseason friendly today.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 7, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Steve: Any photos of Flat Sharkie at the match?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 7, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone else starting to seriously wonder how that octopus is doing it?

Posted by: garbageout | July 7, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I've only missed two picks in the soccer knockout bracket.

Spain really dominated, but Iniesta frustrates the bejeezus out of me. Ever hear of a wall pass? Or a shot?

Loved Pedro until he blew that breakaway.

Can't believe Germany gave up a corner to Spain -- but I saw Puyol charging through and knew he had it.

Posted by: Reignking | July 7, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

yeah the octopus is weird . . .

well-deserved victory, cleanly played match with great skill and very little histrionics.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 7, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

"Loved Pedro until he blew that breakaway."

Peter needs to be smacked upside the head for that selfish play.

Posted by: delantero | July 7, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Just finished "I Scored a Goal" in the World Cup Final on ESPN.

Well done, lads. Beautiful story.

And more props for excellent coverage of the tournament in 2010. Not so much for the "extras" like Gullit and the Scot and Lalas, etc, but the regular vets like Fowler, Ley and Tirico were spot on solid!

Thanks!

Posted by: delantero | July 7, 2010 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Sounders up 2-0 on the Gals...Don't really like the British commentator that just can't keep the player Mike Seamon's name out of his mouth... ugh...
Sounders in their "electricity" kit. Remember when I used to ramble on a bout a third kit? Ha.
Jaqua looking for a hat trick.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 7, 2010 11:39 PM | Report abuse

It's Sea-Man!

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | July 7, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

delantero, I think he was actually trying to get the pass off, but the lane wasn't there. When he tried a move to open it up, he messed up.

Posted by: Reignking | July 8, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Just finished "I Scored a Goal" in the World Cup Final on ESPN.
Posted by: delantero
==============

Yeah. Gerd Mu"ller should be the assistant coach for finishing. With 62 caps, he scored 68 goals. I was somewhat surprised that Zidane was not interviewed. Petit's goal was nice, but it was sprinkles on the icing on the cake.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 8, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

With their lineup yesterday, Spain had 7 Barcelona players in its starting lineup. Puyol, Pique, Busquets, Villa, Iniesta, Xavi & Pedro. If you add Messi, Victor V. and Dani Alves to that group its simply not fair. Especially if they pry Fabregas away from Arsenal, not that I know where you would play him...

Posted by: JaimeSegundo | July 8, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

OK, I'm sure I'm being very dim, but why is this entry tagged for *Scotland* and Spain and not Germany?

Posted by: janspoor | July 8, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

perhaps Bonesteel's been nipping into the Scotch at work again.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 8, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I hope it's single malt and not that blended paint-thinner.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 8, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse