Spain vs. Paraguay in World Cup quarterfinal

Spain vs. Paraguay
Ellis Park, Johannesburg
Kickoff: 2:30 p.m. ET
TV: ABC, Univision, ESPN Deportes.

Spain lineup: Casillas; Ramos, Pique, Puyol, Capdevila; Busquets, Alonso, Iniesta, Xavi; Torres, Villa.

Paraguay lineup: Villar; Veron, Da Silva, Alcaraz, Morel; Riveros, Barreto, Santana, Caceres; Valdez, Cardozo.

Paraguay goalkeeper Justo Villar is making up for lost time in his third World Cup.

Spain, meanwhile, seems to have found its form.

Spain-Paraguay live stats here, commentary here , shot chart here.

Your pregame, in-game and postgame thoughts are encouraged. Enjoy!

By Steve Goff  |  July 3, 2010; 1:23 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Spain  | Tags: Spain vs. Paraguay, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Germany vs. Argentina: Germany rolls to 4-0 rout
Next: Spain vs. Paraguay: Villa lifts Spain in 83rd

Comments

I predict that this will be the game in which Torres scores. Of course, being in 30th place in the Yahoo predictor, means that I'm probably wrong.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 3, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Non-Related: D.C. United players made an appearance today in Richmond, VA at West Broad VW. Here are some photos, enjoy!

Posted by: Pete803 | July 3, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Apologies if this parody of the Write the Future ad has already been posted. Kobe Bryant and Homer Simpson have luckily survived the curde of this ad, which even claimed Roger Federer as a victim.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 3, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Hey Pete thanks for sharing. Did Namoff have anything to say about his recovery???

Posted by: DadRyan | July 3, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm doubting Cardozo in the starting line-up, as I don't think he can go anything close to 90 without some in-game rest; i.e., dogging it. Tell him he's coming off at 65', so he has to use everything he's got in that time. Of course, he's a top PK taker, so maybe it's worth having him dog it and stay in.

lots of Albiceleste jerseys at the pool just now...I made sure to give half-hearted condolences to each of them while maintaining a giant sh**-eating grin. Hasta luego, Diego. No dejes que la puerta te pegue...

Posted by: troy6 | July 3, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

well having a good pk taker in from the start would have paid off, except that was a weak effort. credit his ability to make a meal of an arm tug.

Posted by: troy6 | July 3, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

craziest two minutes of football I've seen since...since...well, yesterday's ghana match.

Posted by: troy6 | July 3, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: troy6 | July 3, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Wow. What drama.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 3, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Did Alonso go to the same spot on the re-take?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 3, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

So that happened.

No, 270. He went middle height and towards the left the first time. That's why Villar went to his left again, thinking Alonso expected him to go where he took the shot the first time.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 3, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

My heart stopped. Twice. Once for each post the ball hit.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 3, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

David gets the 7-10 split.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 3, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Ramos got Rocked!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 3, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 3, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

and all baby boys born in spain for the next three days will be named "Iker"

Posted by: troy6 | July 3, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Well, this won't happen.

Posted by: I-270Exit1
---------------------
I'm pretty sure it happens every time a photo shoot is scheduled.

Posted by: troy6 | July 3, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

@DadRyan Namoff had nothing to add really. I talked to Carey Talley for a bit about his concussion. He says he exercised for the first time in a month a few days ago, this morning he woke up with a huge headache. He says he still has trouble focusing and knows something's wrong. He also mentioned sometimes when he drives, he won't be able to recall the last 30 minutes or so. Not looking good for him, it's scary to think what a concussion can do. He also mentioned being at a specialist and being there for 7 hours doing tests through different exercises to focus on what exact part of the brain the issues might be coming from. Namoff commented that he was impressed with that and might seek out the same Dr for those tests. Oh and there were free burgers and hot dogs. ;^)

Posted by: Pete803 | July 3, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I-270: Just posted on my Facebook status that, for success in 2014, avoid Write the Future and Speed vs Speed ads like the plague. Every star (I think) in either of those ads is out. Definitely cursed. Ohand I'm happy to keep you company at the bottom of the Yahoo pool. Sigh.

Posted by: ldmay | July 3, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse