Thursday kickaround: MLS all-stars outclassed by Manchester United, Sounders win, Freedom loses

What to make of the MLS all-stars' 5-2 loss to Manchester United.....

Did anyone really expect MLS to win this match? Well, probably not. The players had practiced together for only two days, the Los Angeles Galaxy lads arrived last-minute after a deplorable loss the night before, and Sir Alex and mighty Man U were suddenly motivated on this North American tour after losing to the 10-man Kansas City Wizards.

That said, the scoreline -- against a club in preseason mode, missing its World Cup players, using four starters age 21 or younger -- doesn't reflect well on the league. Twenty seconds had passed when Kevin Alston, a long-term prospect at outside back for the defense-depleted national team, delivered a lazy pass that led to the first of two goals by 18-year-old Federico Macheda. MLS did exhibit some nice work in midfield and caused a stir late in the match, but by then Darron Gibson (age 22) had struck a perfect free kick for a 3-1 advantage, Tom Cleverley (20) had flicked the ball to himself and Mexican idol Javier Hernandez (22) had scored in his debut.

Look, it was only an exhibition, and frankly, the Galaxy's 4-1 loss to the second-tier Puerto Rico Islanders on Tuesday was far more troubling. (Maybe Man U should take on the Islanders next.) But when sent onto the big stage with 70,000 fans in attendance, a national TV spotlight and European observers paying attention for perhaps the only time all year, MLS needs to do better than a result you'd expect from a Man U tour stop in Singapore.

Cleverley's brilliant goal for Man U:

Keep reading.....

*While MLS was holding its all-star game, one of its clubs was playing a meaningful match. The Seattle Sounders defeated El Salvador's Metapan, 1-0, at Qwest Field in a CONCACAF Champions League preliminary-round match. The result, however, leaves little margin for error for the Sounders in the return leg next week. (We are accustomed to seeing attendance figures for Seattle home games exceed 35,000, but for a mid-week, nonleague match against an obscure opponent, 17,228 is impressive and shows the strong foundation of support for the second-year MLS club.)

Freddy Montero's goal for the Sounders:

*The Washington Freedom's freefall continued with a 3-2 WPS loss at the last-place Atlanta Beat, stretching its winless streak to nine.

By Steve Goff  |  July 29, 2010; 9:23 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF Champions League , England , Freedom , MLS  | Tags: CONCACAF, MLS All-Star Game, Manchester United, WPS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchnight: MLS all-stars vs. Manchester United
Next: Bob Bradley will guide USA vs. Brazil

Comments

Can we blame the ball on that goal keeping error? haha. 17k impressed me.

That Cleverly goal was magic but so was Gibson's free kick and Hernandez's smart run and classy finish. My brother is convinced Hernandez is going to flop but with his pace I am not so sure anymore.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 29, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Benching Cat Whitehill did not work Coach Gabarra. It was a pathetic and desperate move that reflects more about you than about Cat's play (which has been excellent lately). Time to do the honorable thing and bench yourself.

Posted by: Tony-Tony-Tony | July 29, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

70k showed up for an all-star game? Wow.

Wait...70k showed up to see ManU light.

Posted by: Reignking | July 29, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I actually expected the MLS All Stars to win. They always have. But the defensive early miscues settled that.

Sir Alex has created an environment where the squad play hard to win or hold their spot on the field. Kudos to them.

I thought the whole thing was rather entertaining, and in the end, says nothing about the development of the league. Rather, it looked like a bunch of soccer fans having fun.

(BTW, I thought the pitch played dreadfully slow)

Posted by: JkR- | July 29, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Cleverley done!

Somebody had to pun.....but it was a pretty awesome effort. My favorite moment might have been after the game, when I noticed Cleverley had Conde's jersey draped over his shoulder, a battle trophy left over from the scalping he performed earlier?

Jabulani Strikes Again? I might have said it was pretty impressive of Montero to score within 15 seconds of entering the game, but credit for the goal has to go to the goalie.

Posted by: fischy | July 29, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I was happy to see that all five goals were scored by our "kids" not Giggs, Scoles, Berba, and that guy named Rooney who wasn't even there(or our second leading scorer last year, OG).

I was also very pleased to see Jaime get some playing time and the props he deserves.

Perfect night for this Black and Red Red Devil.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | July 29, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Chicharito made a great run, but the recognition out of the midfield came too late. He was offside. Still, I expect him to do awfully well there, if he can crack that talent-laden lineup. It's flattering to get an offer from a team like Man U, but he might have been better served to go to Arsenal or Liverpool.

Posted by: fischy | July 29, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Nobody cares or remembers these loses. MLS All Stars lost 4-0 to Real Madrid few years ago in a pre-season encounter. It's what happens when a "team" plays against a collection of unfamiliar players.

Perhaps they should change the format to include the MLS champion + few All Stars against a Man Utd/Real Madrid/Barcelona.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | July 29, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I thought that the MLS would win. We've beat great teams in the past. Man U scored their chances, but never dominated play. Not even for short periods of time. I was pretty surprised they couldn’t hold on to the ball.

I'd be nice if they do away with the All Star game all together. Players could get hurt cause it's not really friendly. MLS players don’t train together, the best players don’t play, and everyone gets to play.

Regardless they do it next year and I'll watch again.

Posted by: francisco_11 | July 29, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

It's wrong to compare the attendence at last night's "MLS All-Star game" to other all-star games in other sports. This is not a true all-star game and to brag about outdrawing the MLB All-star game in Anaheim or the Pro Bowl is typical MLS/Garber dishonesty.

This was a game in which the real draw was the opponent, not the showcase of a league's finest players, which was obviously lacking due to the incredible scheduling conflicts that were allowed to happen.

This event as presently constituted is a fraud.

Posted by: lgm6986 | July 29, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

That game last night showed that you cannot expect a "competitive" game from a cobbled together line-up. It's not a gauge of any (lack of) class or growth by the league.

It's entertainment and kudos to the league for getting (Diet)ManU and selling out Reliant. I'm sure everyone made some money last night and that's what matters.

Here's what you do with that money - you re-invest. That game showed the precision and sharpness one can expect from the deep benches and reserve systems of big clubs. Kevin Alston is older than some of the guys he played last night - and he's still got a lot to learn.

You hope that the future of MLS watches that game and goes - I won't make that mistake. I will properly weight my passes, I will not move with concrete shoes, and I will strive to have the vision to keep pace with the match at its highest level.

And you hope that future ends up playing for our reserve leagues/first teams. And not for someone else...

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | July 29, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

While watching the match, I kept saying to myself "this doesn't look good for MLS". But after thinking it over, what did you expect? Sure Man U was in preseason form but these were mostly young guys fighting to make the club. Their season is now! Also, what kind of all-star match takes place closer to the end of the season than the middle? So no I am not surprised or too disappointed with the results.

Besides, those goals were really quality goals!

Posted by: tundey | July 29, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Roberto Verde in goal for Metapan?

Posted by: hungrypug | July 29, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I hoped going in MLS would make a game of it, but in the end a 5-2 blowout. What was I thinking? This was, after all, a home game for Man U.

So what if the MLS "All Stars" have morphed into the "Washington Generals" to the Man U Globetrotters. Do we really want to go back to playing West Ham United, or "East v West" in a small SSS a third empty? Maybe we do.

Posted by: Ron16 | July 29, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Gabarra should go.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 29, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

(BTW, I thought the pitch played dreadfully slow)

Posted by: JkR-
----------------

That's what Kevin Alston said.

Posted by: benonthehill | July 29, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tony-Tony-Tony | July 29, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

I agree. You can blame injuries all you want and the Freedom has had its share. But, Cat's probably been our best defender. Shocking to say the least, and it obviously didn't work.

Posted by: stwasm | July 29, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

And - it's time for Freddy Adu to come home. I don't care where he plays in MLS but he needs to come back here and get some minutes if he can.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | July 29, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

This event as presently constituted is a fraud.

Posted by: lgm6986 |

Whew. I was wondering where you would be able to find something to complain about.

Oh no! It's not a "true" all-star game! Garber is evil! 70k is sham!

Posted by: Reignking | July 29, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

70k of course is not a sham, there were at least that many people there. But igm6986 is correct in his observation that they were there to see Man U, not the MLS All Stars.

Posted by: Ron16 | July 29, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Of all the squads I've seen live or on TV that are touring North America for pre-season friendlies over the years, I'm of the opinion that ManU is the best of the lot for entertainment value.

As I said earlier, Sir Alex keeps his players on edge competitively, and they seem to do the right things by their fans.

Chelsea under Mourinho also had a similar tendency to provide entertainment value, again because the players wanted to please their boss, no matter the opponent.

Most of the others are rubbish, tho.

Posted by: JkR- | July 29, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

FWIW, Montero's goal was not using a Jabulani. Believe it was a Puma v5.08 or something similar... probably an Adidas ball though. Definitely not Jabulani, they showed the ball prior to the match on the big screen.

And yes... being one of those 17k in Seattle was far better than what it likely would have been like to be one of the 70k in Houston!

Posted by: bmvaughn | July 29, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

the loud ovation for Donovan when he came on and the cheers when the MLS team scored indicated that there was a sizable portion of the crowd that was there to see the MLS players.

ManU showed their class last night, but i thought the MLS guys held their own and even had some stretches in each half where they dominated play. they were shooting too much from distance, but Van Der Sar was tested a lot and they could have had more goals.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 29, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

OT
#saynotoBaltimore

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | July 29, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

When you attend a game like last night's ASG, there's no need to be partisan. You can whoop it up for Ryan Giggs, cheer for Landon, the Houston guys, and Chicharito.

It's all good. Again, I thought everyone looked to be having a great night.

Posted by: JkR- | July 29, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Was the crowd cheering Donovan or were Houston fans giving a cheer for their long lost beloved De Ro? They were both subbed in at the same time eh? I'm sure it was mostly for Donovan but I'm sure there are more Houston Dynamo fans who still respect a guy who helped them win two MLS Cups.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 29, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Uhhhh, the 1999 Tampa Bay Mutiny called - they want their uniforms back.

Posted by: IamAM | July 29, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I was genuinely surprised not to see Whitehill play last night. That said, I'm not so sure how much she would have changed that game. The first half the Freedom's outside backs were getting thrashed by the Danish forward who's name I can't remember and especially Yamaguchi. Bompastor was toasted by her several times. In the second half it was direct through balls in between the outside backs and center acme to Yamiguchi and O'Campo they couldn't adjust to. All that points to one thing: Bad coaching, and Gabarra is certainly doing that.

Also, without having seen the video, that ball Montero hit should have been the new Nike ball, as concacaf has switched from Puma to Nike.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 29, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

agree with IamAM, those MLS All-Star uniforms were U-G-L-Y.

Ching's goal off the set piece was very nice. It was the kind of thing I thought the US was going to employ in SA (before leaving Ching at home, of course)

Posted by: rightback | July 29, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Glad I didn't listen to Harkes gush about the EPL for 2 hours last night. I watched the 1st half of the Seattle game and then watched the 2nd half this morning.

Selling 70,000 tickets is an impressive achievement but in my opinion, the MLS All Star game should have been killed at birth.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 29, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | July 29, 2010 10:01 AM

------

Actually (upon tivo'd review and pausing), he was even with Omar Gonzalez who was just fractionally late to pull up-field, thereby keeping El Chicharito onside.

Assistant ref was perfectly positioned and made the correct (non-)call.

And yes, a "team" even in preseason is likely going to be sharper than a quickly cobbled together line-up of stars.

And well done Seattle on their win. Let's home they and TFC can both hold their slim leads next week, and it would be marvelous to see a crazy comeback by LA in PR.

Posted by: tab5g1 | July 29, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

As an MLS supporter, don't really care they lost. The team defending wasn't great, but that's to be expected. I enjoyed watching some of these guys in the one-on-one situations. Aside from the awful mistake, I thought Alston actually looked like he could play against Nani and others. Since he might be getting signficant time for the USMNT over the next few years, it was interesting to watch. On the other hand, LeToux (and others) showed why he isn't playing in Europe. A very good USL guy who has turned into a pretty good MLS guy, but not an All Star, to me. Glad Jaime got the run out, but overall there were too many of the aging vets out there for my taste...

Posted by: assocfoot | July 29, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

It's all good. Again, I thought everyone looked to be having a great night.

Posted by: JkR- | July 29, 2010 11:18 AM

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | July 29, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

And I'll give the ol' +1 to:

Posted by: assocfoot | July 29, 2010 12:07 PM |

who captured my thoughts on Alston and LeToux quite well.

Posted by: JkR- | July 29, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

So what's the best move now for Donovan?

Posted by: OWNTF | July 29, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

So what's the best move now for Donovan?

Posted by: OWNTF | July 29, 2010 12:37 PM

It's still a speed move to his right....

Posted by: JkR- | July 29, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Who cares about the score or that MLS lost. It's an All Star game and both sides put on a good show.

Posted by: delantero | July 29, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I guess I'm not clear on what the definition of a complaint is. I'd prefer to see what I write not as complaints, by rather the statements of dissent from the loyal opposition and of someone who sees through the hypocracy and dishonesty in the conduct and words of the promoters of the enterprise that we all love so much.

When I write that it's wrong to compare the attendence of this all-star game to that of those in other sports, I am not complaining about it; I am merely pointing out that I feel it's wrong to do so for valid reasons that I offer.

When I call this event a fraud, it is because the underlying facts support the notion that his event is not what it is represented to be, i. e., the very definition of a fraud. It is represented to be an all-star game. It is not. If it were, it wouldn't exclude or limit the participation of the top players who have conflicts because of other commitments. Call it what it is: an exhibition of players from MLS who are available to participate against a standing team from another country, not an all-star game

These are not complaints; at least I don't offer them as such. I offer them as statements of opinion based on how I see the facts.

Posted by: lgm6986 | July 29, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I guess I'm not clear on what the definition of a complaint is.
Posted by: lgm6986
=============

Pretty much your entire comment. Quibbling about the definition of "All Star Game" is not a statement of fact.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 29, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Also a real fraud would require that someone did something in reliance on the moniker "All-Star Game" that they wouldn't otherwise have done.

Also if I'm defending Garber against fraud, I'll argue that whatever you paid to get in, it would have been worth paying even if all you got to see was Man U senior players playing pick-up 4v4 to Pugg goals.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 29, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I never thought a SI thread would devolve into a debate over whether an "MLS All-Star Game" is a legitimate or fraudulent representation of an "All-Star Game."

Maybe this is my penance for actually going to one of them years ago. I probably have that program with Mamadou Diallo's autograph tucked away somewhere.

Posted by: benonthehill | July 29, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

"an exhibition of players from MLS who are available to participate against a standing team from another country"

I don't think that would fit on the jersey sleeves.

Posted by: csd1 | July 29, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I guess I'm not clear on what the definition of a complaint is.
Posted by: lgm6986
=============

Posted by: I-270Exit1
-----------------------------

For someone who is into this "enterprise" that we all "love so much" you sure b!tch about it a lot, lgm6986.

It was an all-star game. It means nothing. It's purpose was simply to promote MLS and Man U to the uninitiated (i.e., not us).

There are plenty of things to take issue with in soccer in the U.S. (and D.C., for that matter). That game isn't one of them.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | July 29, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

You are correct: quibbling about the definition is not a statement of fact. It is expressing an opinion supported by statements of fact.

I just don't like the hypocrisy and dishonesty that are deployed by the people who run soccer in the US. You can call them complaints if you like; it's just an honest expression of how I feel about something I care very deeply about.

Sorry it's such an annoyance to so many of you.

Posted by: lgm6986 | July 29, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

lgm6986 - you are the reason "soccer fan" has a bad rep in this country. you can never say anything about the positive (70K people watch a team of MLS players last night!), its always digging through to find something negative to discuss. it gets old dude. and cut the "patriot" crap about dissent from the loyal opposition. you're "supporting" a soccer team, not some righteous cause, so quit taking yourself so seriously.

Posted by: VTUnited | July 29, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

@lgm6986, I'd just like to read a positive post from you every now and then. Just for a change of pace.

Speaking of pace, it was evident Man Utd. wanted to apply high pressure throughout the match last night. Alston sure wasn't expecting it.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | July 29, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Oh tisk tisk.... I don't care who they were playing, it was an ALL STAR team and the attendance was great... If Garber want's to talk that up a little, good for him... I don't care if the opponent was king kong, 10 years ago there is no way you get 70K there for this game... Nor 5 years ago--not even for Man Utd.

Why Aliens are studying Soccer:
-----------------------------------

This event as presently constituted is a fraud.

Posted by: lgm6986 |

Posted by: dwreck1971 | July 29, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

"it wouldn't exclude or limit the participation of the top players who have conflicts because of other commitments."

You mean, like baseball?

Or football or basketball, where the best players tend to decide the whole thing is not worth their time, conflicts or not?

The MLS ASG rules. It's one of the best things they do all year. It's FUN to root for the league as a whole and watch what its best players can do, glorified pick-up game or no.

You could even more easily argue that MLS' postseason is a rip-off and a fraud and a cynical money grab, but we still get into it, don't we? (I mean, when we get the chance).

Would love to see MLS take on Mexican MNT or all stars someday!

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | July 29, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

At the risk of being negative or complaining, from today's Sun paper:

Posted by: lgm6986 | July 29, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

BOOOO!!! Baltimore!!!! ;)

Posted by: Reignking | July 29, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Baltimore United - unleash the Balmer.

Posted by: lgm6986 | July 29, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Maybe, when United moves, they'll change the name to Baltimore Pendulums in homage to Poe and to the season-to-season fortunes of the team. The stadium could be on Rue Morgue to attract Eurosnobs.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 29, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

All-star games are an American thing, it's just what we do. Baseball, football, basketball... hockey... soccer. It doesn't mean it is perfect, because none of them are and none of them count for anything (except that stupid Series home advantage in baseball). I think the problem for MLS began a long time ago when they started touting this "we've never been beaten" schtick in a meaningless game.

As for the Islanders defeat of the Galaxy, so what. Third-tier (then) Leeds beat Manchester at Old Trafford in the last FA Cup. Slovenia beat Russia in a home-and-away qualifier. That's the beauty of tournament play. If this didn't happen once in a while the sport could get rather boring (e.g., softball until it is US v Japan).

Posted by: prokaryote | July 29, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the moving vans will be leaving DC in the middle of the night destined for Baltimore. What comes around goes around.

Posted by: croftonpost | July 29, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

"I think there is a large international population in Baltimore and there is an extreme interest in soccer for sure," said Deputy Mayor Kaliope Parthemos

Hasn't MLS proved that a "large international population" and "extreme interest in soccer" do not have much to do with ticket sales to domestic matches?

"Baltimore was the No. 2 city in the nation in terms of watching the World Cup," {developer Pat] Turner.

Highest Rated Markets Included Miami, New York, Washington D.C., San Diego and San Francisco [Source]

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 29, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Man U vs. KC I would probably have skipped. Man U vs. All Stars I would definitely go to. It's good soccer. I would have thought the scores of both matches were swapped though...

Posted by: marcool | July 29, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

270,

What they're not telling everyone is that Baltimore was the #2 market in watching USA World Cup games. Very misleading.

Posted by: croftonpost | July 29, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Thanks. I was wondering how they sliced the data.

E.g. The ComicCon wrap-up on G4 is the number one rated TV show" (among males 18-35 years old watching cable on a Friday night after 10 PM).

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 29, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Awfully nice of the dead tree edition of the Post to have a wrap up of the MLS All-Star game. Sure wish they could extend the same courtesy to DC United, or is that one more reason they are moving to Baltimore? I heard a 20 minute segment on sports talk radio on soccer today from Balmer. 20 more minutes than the two DC talkers have put towards soccer this year combined.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | July 29, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1
------------------------------

Regardless of whether he's right or wrong, it's striking to hear a local elected official talking up soccer. When was the last time you heard that in DC?

Sigh...

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | July 29, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Here's a complaint for yous guys:

THE MLS UNIFORMS WERE UGLY!!!

Ha, I get the final complaint on this thread and nobody will call me a biotch!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 29, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Wooops, spoke too soon; PrinceBuster21 and jayrockers are still on this thread.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 29, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Sigh...

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | July 29, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

=====================================

The last time I remember hearing it was 10/29/2006 when Fenty was making a SSS promise to United fans that he obviously had no intention of keeping.

Posted by: croftonpost | July 30, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Man U players displayed quality, simplicity and efficacy...MLS players display physicality, impatience and panic under pressure.

Posted by: juke2 | July 30, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse