Tuesday World Cup kickaround and poll

*Colleague Liz Clarke previews today's World Cup semifinal in Cape Town between the Netherlands and Uruguay.

Kickoff: 2:30 p.m. ET.
TV: ESPN, Univision, ESPN Deportes, ESPN3.com
(replay on ESPN Classic at 6 p.m., ESPN2 at 1 a.m. Wed.)
Prediction: Netherlands, 2-0.

*Fun facts about Uruguay.....

Every 20 years in the 80-year history of the World Cup, they're pretty good:

1930: champions
1950: champions
1970: semifinals
1990: round of 16
2010: semifinals ... and beyond?

They also finished fourth in 1954 and reached the quarters in '66.

1934-38: Did not enter.
1958-78-82-94-98-06: Did not qualify.
1962, '74, '02: first round.
1986: round of 16.

Diego Forlan's father, Pablo Forlan, a right back, was on those '66 and '74 squads. His grandfather, Juan Carlos Corazzo, served three stints as national team coach and was in charge for the 1962 World Cup in Chile.

Okay, time to pick the winner:

By Steve Goff  |  July 6, 2010; 4:23 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Netherlands , Poll  | Tags: Netherlands, Uruguay, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Cup venue tour: Durban's beach scene
Next: Don't harass the penguins

Comments

Voted for Uruguay just because I am a big fan of Forlan. Most likely Netherlands though. Glad De Jong is suspended.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 6, 2010 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Netherlands received the Nike curse so I'm betting on Uruguay.

Posted by: Southeasterner | July 6, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse

I would love to see the Netherlands have the same fate as Ghana.

Posted by: fedster | July 6, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse

hmmm how am I gonna sneak viewing this in while working at a conference?

Posted by: DCB23 | July 6, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

People say there is no African team left. But there is the Afrikaner team left. Watch them get a lot of calls like they did against Brasil. Heitinga and De Jong remind me of the droogies from A Clockwork Orange.

Posted by: GeneWells | July 6, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Hey, the poll % only add up to 97%. Was there some other choice, which some of us didn't see, that one of the countries gets invaded and occupied during the match and the winner is the invading power?

Posted by: randysbailin | July 6, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Here come the Cobbles!!!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 6, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Doesn't look like I can get a live feed this year :(

Posted by: Reignking | July 6, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I could be wrong, but I'd guess that the overwhelming majority of Africans would sooner cheer for Uruguay than for Afrikaners. But people say Invictus was a really good movie.

also, Randy is correct that something is wrong with the poll. The results sum to 96 percent, but the largest possible rounding error only approaches 3 percent (given 6 options and results rounded to the nearest whole number). Perhaps Faith has pulled in her customary 1 percent.

Posted by: hungrypug | July 6, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: randysbailin
==========

Wir haben die drei prozent.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 6, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

The missing 3% is paying for the stimulus plan. Small price to pay for our brisk recovery.

Posted by: benonthehill | July 6, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

===========

Cheer for their former colonial masters? Why, that would be like Americans cheering for Man United, Arsenal, and Chelsea. Ummm... nevermind.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 6, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I am going to have to watch the replay of the game. I ask that all of you kindly not post about the game, the score, etc.... Thanks haha.

I hope Forlan and his golden locks get to grace a World Cup final. I also hope Robben doesn't exceed his 15 dive limit per half.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 6, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: paulkp | July 6, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Wow, didn't think that the Tour could actually get whinier than the World Cup... I was wrong. Suck it up boys!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 6, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I'll be tape-delaying tomorrow's match...

DR, what's up? Whining about the rocks?

Posted by: Reignking | July 6, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Yeah RK. Andy Schleck: "This is the Tour De France, not Paris-Roubaix"... On the other hand they had Thor talking about how it may very well suck for the racers but it's going to be fantastic on TV...

In other news that Andres Cantor Geico commercial is hilarious!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 6, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I'll be tape-delaying tomorrow's match...
Posted by: Reignking
========

I'll have to watch the rebroadcast, with the ticker at the bottom of the screen covered up, just like my son's mouth, lest he should look up the score on the intertubes.

Me: Don't tell me the score
Son: OK, I won't. MOMMY! THE SCORE IS...

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 6, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

RE: Whining on Tour vs. whining at the Cup. There's just a bit of difference between being clipped by another rider while cornering at 20-25mph (or losing control on a rain-slicked road at 40-50mph) and being clipped by a defender while running at 5-8mph.

Posted by: BaltoFan | July 6, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Hey Balto, I'm not talking about the dangers in the two sports, I was comparing the silliness of whining about the Jabulani to whining about the route selection in Le Tour. Man up and give it a go or go home is all I'm saying. Not comparing what sport is more dangerous.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 6, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

And besides, there's no diving in cycling.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 6, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Giant Ned Flanders Flag on the side of the road???

Posted by: DadRyan | July 6, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

In news about the other match I hear Paul the Octopus has picked Spain which has sent the nation into a tizzy. He's been right about everything so far...and it would set up my pre-Cup prediction of NED v ESP (presuming the NEDs win today of course)

Posted by: fedssocr | July 6, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

fed, I had the same, too...

Posted by: Reignking | July 6, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Frank Schleck of Luxembourg, who won the Tour of Switzerland last month, crashed on the fourth of seven sectors of cobblestones. His Saxo Bank team said he was out of the race and taken to a hospital.

Posted by: Reignking | July 6, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

stoned him just like jelly roll . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | July 6, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

At the Cape Town Stadium, Euro teams are 3-0-3 against non-Euro opponents (4-1-3 including Portugal v Spain). Netherlands have won at this venue, while Uruguay has tied. What does this mean for today's match? Absolutely nothing, but I could get a job as a useless fact provider for Mike Torico.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 6, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I thought European teams couldn't win outside of Europe?

Posted by: Reignking | July 6, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

@Reignking: It's Baggio's fault.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 6, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Cobblestone creamery would be good on a record hot day like today.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 6, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Dude, I think you're on the verge of over-egging the frozen custard...

Schleck did not look good where he crashed. the road was very narrow, with what looked like outdoor seating of a cafe or something too close to the Pave. I instantly felt bad about dogging his brother about complaining about the race course... It definitely looked very dangerous in spots today. Worth watching highlights and replays for sure. Hope Frank is ok. As well as the others who've bit it.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 6, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse