Uruguay vs. Germany: In third-place match, Germany squeaks out win

Diego Forlan's free kick on the final play of the game caromed off the crossbar, and Germany was able to secure third place in the World Cup with a 3-2 win over Uruguay. Sami Khedira's goal in the 82nd minute proved to be the game-winner.

By Matt Bonesteel  |  July 10, 2010; 4:50 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Germany , Uruguay
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The VIP list for the World Cup final
Next: World Cup final, Spain vs. Netherlands

Comments

Forlan deserves a better keeper. Still, a great tourney for the Sky Blues.

Posted by: tcbannon | July 10, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

I see the 3rd place match has the blogosphere on fire! Well, at least Paul the Octopus sees his streak continue. The USSF needs to sign him him!

Posted by: diego_r | July 10, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

So, no post about tonight's DCU game?

Posted by: desenada | July 10, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

DCU starters: Perkins (c); Graye-James-Jakovic-McTavish; Pontius-Simms-King-Najar; Allsopp-Quaranta.

Bench: Cristman, Moreno, Khumalo, Morsink, Talley, Rice, Hamid

Posted by: desenada | July 10, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

No post for an Atlantic Cup match? I know everyone is focused on the World Cup, but this is a pretty big match for our boys.

Posted by: jpeace121 | July 10, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Muslera had an awesome World Cup.

Posted by: Reignking | July 10, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

True. Muslera had a bad day today, but he was great the rest of the Cup, including saving two penalties in the shootout vs. Ghana.

I have to say, I find it a little upsetting that this blog has apparently chosen not to cover a match against NY at all.

Posted by: desenada | July 10, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Forlan's goal was amazing. His technique and placement were sublime! He is easily among the top 3 players at the SAF WC!

Posted by: charlie015 | July 10, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Let's go NE!!

It would be amazing if the Revs could pull this one off.

Posted by: Southeasterner | July 10, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

DC are better than we were at the beginning of the season. I don't think Allsop is the answer at forward. I do have to give credit to DCU for tightening things up at the back. The defense is much, much better than earlier on.

Posted by: diego_r | July 10, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

where is the bonesteel when you need 'em?

Posted by: diego_r | July 10, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Probably the less said about tonight's United match the better, what a snoozer. In front of plenty of empty seats at RBA. MLS, striking while the iron's hot!

Posted by: Kev29 | July 10, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

they have improved, especially defensively, but they still are missing that "point guard", a guy with some imagination that can spring people. they get it a little with moreno, but when he isn't in the game there is no creativity.

Posted by: birdynumnum | July 10, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Still need a #9 and a #10. As it is, not a terrible result tonight. I haven't seen many RB games this season, but this one left me wondering where's the beef.

With two new attackers coming on board next week, Q better be checking the rear view. If he was playing for his starting job tonight, it doesn't look good.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | July 10, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Q is a waste of a roster spot.

I'll take the tie, Vamos United.

Posted by: Ivanovich84 | July 10, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

I think the defense looks so much better than it had in large part because we got Jakovic back. I'd forgotten how important he was. Meanwhile, Graye and James both look much improved. Now, if we could only get Namoff back...

Posted by: desenada | July 10, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Hey, what say maybe in 2014 maybe the Post loans the keys to the Insider to I-270 so we can get a matchday thread for the home team. I guess the ad revenue isn't worth the 5 minutes it'd take for an employee to post, "Game vs NYRB today. Talk amongst yourselves.

Posted by: benonthehill | July 10, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

I forgot, in order to check the rear view, Q has to pick his head up, and he doesn't do that.

Yeah, Jakovic. Hundreds of light years ahead of every other player on this team, still, injury layoff be damned. Love that he is starting to creep forward and show a bit more of his game.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | July 10, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

So, Energie Red Bull are not only getting Henry, but a 3rd DP, too.

Posted by: Reignking | July 10, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

my cheesehead neighbor tells me we'd be awesome if we had Jay Demerit

Posted by: DadRyan | July 10, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Here is what Clarke and Goff are serving up for Sunday's print version:

There is also this story in the world news section:

I can't find a Pink Cow match report by Tenorio or anyone else, so I'm wondering whether that event will be getting the wire-service treatment (again).

Posted by: universityandpark | July 11, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse

I think James was DC's man of the match tonight.

And it is depressing that the Post isn't bothering to cover United during the World Cup. Ugh.

Posted by: chemweapon | July 11, 2010 1:02 AM | Report abuse

Before I indict Allsopp for his ineffectiveness thus far, I'd like to see him with someone who can give him proper service. It's obvious he's not going to create opportunities on his own with the ball at his feet.

As for Quaranta, he needs to be more patient and stop being so selfish. He squandered the best opportunity to score for United by launching a 35 yard strike when he had runners and numbers on either side of him.

I hope our new DP brings some variety and creativity into this team's attack, it's way too direct and predictable right now.

Is Graye primarily a left-sided defensive player? I'm wondering what's going to happen to the line-up when Wallace comes back.

(Salou should have been sent off in the first half for his tackle against James in the box)

Posted by: mercurysnake77 | July 11, 2010 1:52 AM | Report abuse

"I'm wondering what's going to happen to the line-up when Wallace comes back."

That's not a concern for the 2010 season. In 2011, we could see a markedly different roster, and players like Wallace might not get the major minutes they have been.

Hey, a guy can dream.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | July 11, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I completely disagree with all the doom and gloomers concerning United's performance last night. I thought the backline was excellent last night, in particular James and Jakovic. I thought Perkins, Moreno, Simms and Graye distinguished themselves as well. The less said about Allsopp's performance the better and Tino didn't light up the pitch either particularly in the 2nd half.

Posted by: croftonpost | July 11, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

MLS should seriously consider awarding zero points to both teams involved in a scoreless draw. Yes, that goes against how any other league does it, and I realize that a 0-0 match can be exciting while a 1-1 match can still be dreadful. But in a league which is working everyday to build a fan base, what fans trying out the game are going to go back again after that debacle last night? Neither team was all that interested in attacking, and both played for the point. It would at least have been a fun final 20 minutes if both teams risked getting nothing.

Posted by: foul_throw | July 11, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I completely disagree. I think United's backline did a tremendous containing Angel and made a number of outstanding plays in the box. NYRB's lack of scoring had more to do with United's defense than a subpar effort offensively. As for United they need more up top and hopefully we'll see it with the mid-season additions.

Posted by: croftonpost | July 11, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I completely disagree. I think United's backline did a tremendous job containing Angel and made a number of outstanding plays in the box. NYRB's lack of scoring had more to do with United's defense than a subpar effort offensively. As for United they need more up top and hopefully we'll see it with the mid-season additions.

Posted by: croftonpost | July 11, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I think the defense looks so much better than before. Allow me invite you to my community:--== Cougara.CoM ==-- (where mature women and men who like cougar find love).Best Cougar dating site in the world! It's where cougars and younger men can meet(Cougar is the slang for woman who is mature, experienced and want to date with a younger man). No matter you are looking for a NSA or serious relationship, please do check it out!And also you may find yourself more compatible with young men.For young men, dating an older woman has numerous advantages. You can sometimes learn valuable advice from her on how to conduct himself in a difficult situation. She is your best listener and supporter.Join us and contact tens of thousands of cougars and cougar admirers!It's where mature women and men who like them can get fvcked.

Posted by: cookienihui | July 12, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse