Video: Brazilian coach brawls with radio reporters

Goias Coach Emerson Leao, a Brazilian goalkeeping legend and former national team boss, objects to the line of questioning from radio reporters following a 2-2 draw at Vitoria:

By Steve Goff  |  July 22, 2010; 10:57 AM ET
Categories:  Brazil  | Tags: Brazil
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sal Zizzo to Chivas USA
Next: Soccer TV listings: MLS, friendlies, Mexico

Comments

SIR, but Mr. Najar is now making the British papers.

He's the third player listed. Not that there's any credence to this report (if he's been invited for a trial w Arsenal, wouldn't Goffinho have heard?) but I would think it would dash our dreams of Najar pulling on the national team shirt if he leaves the US before he's eligible for the team.

Oh, and I love that they take every opportunity to bash American soccer. Wankers.

Posted by: daandre3 | July 22, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I don't speak Portuguese, but I'm pretty sure that the announcers said the military police were doing "absolutely nothing" to defuse the situation. The announcers would be right.

Posted by: hungrypug | July 22, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Gotta love the sucker punch by the random player. Probably good for TV ratings though...

Daandre... Ives had a report up yesterday in which Najar's agent denied that any plans have been made for the offseason.

I honestly do not understand this Najar to USMNT hype. It is such a long shot and most likely completely improbably. Let's just enjoy his talent while we can.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 22, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Even the radio reporters dive and embellish.

What a sport. I guess it was bound to happen once they're permitted onto the field. Isn't there a post-game press conference room that would create a better, less tense and more controlled interview area?

Posted by: tab5g1 | July 22, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I don't get it either grubbsbl, unless he goes with the US because he knows that means certain qualification each WC cycle. but he doesnt strike me as the kind of kid who would do that.

Posted by: VTUnited | July 22, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

If that's Brazilian Ju-Jitsu, I'm sticking with Tae Kwon Do.

More fodder for the soccer haters. And they'll have a point, unfortunately.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | July 22, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I don't speak Portuguese...
Posted by: hungrypug
============

I don;t either, but I'm pretty sure that Emerson said "Playoffs? Playoffs?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 22, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: csd1 | July 22, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I too am in the camp of folks who think that Najar to the US Nats is a pipe dream we should leave alone. Where did all the hand wringing and wishing get us with Subotic or Rossi? I've yet to see or read of an interview with Andy where he shows a firm grasp of English or even a desire to learn. Call me old school, but if you've been here 3 years and aren't speaking English yet I'm not feeling the whole capping you thing.

The kid has a twitter right? If someone really wants to know go twitter the kid and find out who he'd really rather play for...
You could mention that he may have more of a chance playing for the US in a World Cup if he plays for the Stars and Stripes, but mention he might want to start working on his English so he can at least pretend he knows anything about these United States.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 22, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

@I-270: as a DC United fan, I am saddened by the word "playoffs" (spoken in any language).

Posted by: hungrypug | July 22, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Maybe if our coach showed a tenth of that passion we might actually win some games!

Posted by: mizage | July 23, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

So if Onalfo attacks Goff, then DC United will win games?

Posted by: OWNTF | July 23, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse