Video: D.C. United 4, Portsmouth 0

Courtesy of the D.C. United video production crew. Reminder: DCU in black DCU uniforms, Portsmouth in white DCU uniforms:

By Steve Goff  |  July 25, 2010; 7:42 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , England  | Tags: D.C. United, Portsmouth
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United-Portsmouth rewind
Next: Monday kickaround: MLS conquers Manchesters, Galaxy's Omar Gonzalez, Freedom knee injury, youth title for Quaranta family, Edu's goal

Comments

Looked way too easy. But for a team looking for positives on which to build, a two-game winning streak is a good start.

OT: Baltimore Bays Chelsea win national title, McLean MPS Strikers fall in the final

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | July 25, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

MLS > kindaEPL

Posted by: PEddy | July 25, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor
===============

The win over AC Milan was supposed to build confidence, etc. This might also do that, but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe they need better post-game snacks.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 25, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

My guess is the u-20 kid you mentioned signing with the league soon is the one who had to leave the chivas youth academy in order to play for the u-20's.

Posted by: unitedcaps | July 25, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Rand-al-Thor asks Is Soccer still the Gentleman’s Game? The answer is, sometimes.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 25, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Quick, sell Allsopp while he has some value.

Posted by: DCU_VW | July 25, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Spy vs Spy?

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | July 25, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

It did build confidence for the next few games. In fact, that game and the Open Cup game kicked off a pretty good stretch of games. Then we had injuries and it went back down the hole. Hopefully, the bye week will see some of those injured return to play, as well as a better integration of Boskovic and Hernandez into the starting XI.

Posted by: jason1551 | July 25, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

coverage of DCU / Pompey from the Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jul/25/portsmouth-pre-season-football

including a Spy-vs-Spy (classic!) picture of DCU vs. Bizzaro DCU (aka: Portsmouth)

Posted by: diego_r | July 25, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

I think DC United has shown improvement since the AC Milan game but the team's level of play before then was very bad. Now it's risen to the level where we get ties and lose close games in our league games. And win non-league games.

We might be competitive enough to pass a few teams ahead of us and move out of last place but a playoff place is impossible.

I think the Portsmouth fans got confused when they saw some folks in the Barra Brava section wearing white DC United gear and just assumed it must be the section for Portsmouth supporters...

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 25, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Spy vs Spy?

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88
==================

Well played.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | July 26, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Joseph D'Hippolito's article on former Terp Omar Gonzalez. Nice work JDH.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 26, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Glad I paid for Freedom/Gold Pride instead of that rubbish.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 26, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

I wonder of anyone who chanced to see both games, who was the better team, Harrisburg City Islanders or "Portsmouth"?

Posted by: OWNTF | July 26, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

I was at the Portsmouth game and had a blast. Best friendly ever. Absolute comedy, and we got to see lots of goals and some nice play at RFK for the first time in a while. Hernandez and Branko are going to be phenomenal.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | July 26, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

DC United v Portsmouth!! best friendly ever... most surreal 90 minutes I have ever experienced at RFK.

Mad repsect for the Pompey faithful and their team. They are more than welcome to crash my section any time!

I half expected all the supporters to start a chorus or two of WE ARE THE WORLD...

Silly Pompey, where's your luggage???

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | July 26, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

the more important questions: how does one get tickets for the corona section??

Posted by: birdynumnum | July 26, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse