Video: D.C. United youth keeper stops 5 penalties

At the SUM Cup in Houston, D.C. United's under-17s won their second consecutive title, defeating Real Salt Lake in a penalty kick tiebreaker, 5-4, following a 70-minute draw. The shootout went nine rounds, with DCU keeper Dakota "Cody" Niedermeier (Broadneck High School) stopping five consecutive shots -- the last four prevented RSL for winning. He also converted the go-ahead penalty before making his trophy-clinching final save. Read more about it here. Watch the video down there:

By Steve Goff  |  July 30, 2010; 10:21 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS  | Tags: D.C. United, SUM Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend soccer TV: MLS, friendlies, Mexico, WPS
Next: USA, D.C. United news & notes

Comments

man that RSL keeper is a bit of a loudmouth. glad DCU shut him up in the end.

Posted by: joe_hill | July 30, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Um, where's Onyewu?

Haven't seen any mention or glimpse of him with or around AC Milan...

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | July 30, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Quick! Sign that kid up!

Posted by: Juan-John1 | July 30, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

The RSL keeper is an amateur kid not yet 17 years old.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 30, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Superb work by Neidermeier--just superb, especially the save on the 5th PK where he had to go up and into the corner. At least 3 saves where he was at full extension.

Posted by: JoeW1 | July 30, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Good stuff by both keepers. Amazing skill. We win trophies (at the youth level.)

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 30, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Dean Vernon Wormer: Put Neidermeyer on it. He's a sneaky little sh** just like you.

Posted by: delantero | July 30, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Now drop and give me 20!

Posted by: Reignking | July 30, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

wow. great job.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | July 30, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

That was SICK! Especially the 1st PK he blocked by reaching backwards against his body and the final one where he just stuffed it (not giving up a rebound, een though it doesn't matter anyway)! Congrats to him and the whole team. Too bad this isn't baseball where these boys would be in the DC "Farm system" and would be joining the team in future years.

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | July 30, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

If my given name were Dakota, I would not opt to go by "Cody."

But other than that, very well done, Dakota.

Posted by: tab5g1 | July 30, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

dougmacintyre - what are you talking about? These kids are the farm system. See Bill Hamid and Andy Najar - both were members of DC United's U-17 MLS/SUM Cup champions (Hamid '07/Najar '09)

Posted by: Harkes6 | July 30, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

If my given name were Dakota, I would not opt to go by "Cody."
Posted by: tab5g1
===========

Of course you wouldn't. Cody is in Wyoming and you know geography. Bismarck, however...

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 30, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

And again, I would offer DC Untied up as the home of Mr. Freddy Adu now that Switzerland doesn't even want him.

Come on home, buddy.

Surely even RSL would let us have him on a free at this point, right?

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | July 30, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 30, 2010 12:18 PM
--------------
Or Pierre

Posted by: fedssocr | July 30, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Bismarck, however...

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 30, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

But then, "Sink the Bismarck" was the battle cry that shook the seven seas.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 30, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Sports Illus. article on the possibility of a 34 game home-away schedule. IMO, it would work if MLS dropped the cash-grabbing friendlies, but investors are about cash-grabbing.

Another MLS-related article

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 30, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Of course, after saving five PKs and scoring one, "Badlands" would be an appropriate nickname.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 30, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully Drew is not on the Oprah yo-yo plan. Although I suppose both of them can afford complete wardrobes in ten different sizes.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 30, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

man that RSL keeper is a bit of a loudmouth. glad DCU shut him up in the end.

Posted by: joe_hill
----------------------
sorry if this seems like bad sportsmanship, but I kind of agree with this. I wonder what Pierre thinks?

Posted by: troy6 | July 30, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm seeing that DirecTv will start offering GOL TV in HD on August 4 (it's on the satellite now, for testing), and....

FSC to HD on Aug 11. !!!1111!

I don't see anything confirming FSC+ will also be in HD, or that it will stop being an additional $15 /month.

To reiterate: I got nothing on the future of FSC+ on DirecTv.

Posted by: JkR- | July 30, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 30, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

But if Colorado picks him up? "Rapid City" anyone?

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 30, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Saved a penalty once in U10. I've done a lot of cool things in my sports life, and a dozen years later that's still way up there. I can't imagine what that must have felt like.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 30, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Great video! It's cool seeing DCU's youth team.

In terms of nicknames, I'd go with (Otto von) Bismarck

Posted by: rightback | July 30, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 30, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Gale (remember my campaign) nails a harrrrrd, low free kick in the 23rd to go up early. 1-0 over Northern Ireland.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 30, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Man we look good. Commentators consistently referring to NI as "we", which I love, and are raving about our size, and depth, commententing on how Rongen gave every player a start in the group, and left "half a dozen of their best players at home" for their clubs.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 30, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Goalie drops a free kick, Gale can't tap it in, Juan Agudelo does, but the ref disallows it for a foul, which no one can see on video, and Rongen is not happy.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 30, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Commentators think it should be 2-0. Is the ref from Mali doing the Milk Cup?
Thanks for the link JfA-ish

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 30, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I've never heard of Alex Molano, but he is putting EVERY free kick on a head. I mean he could pick out a specific head of hair it seems.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 30, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

JUAN AGUDELO, Ladies and Gentleman!!!!

Good night. Ok, so maybe a deflection helped him, but a shot from 23 out after 20 yards of running, looking like a man amongst boys. Most of our guys do.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 30, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Haha. England #1 keeper had to sign for a Championship team.

Posted by: Reignking | July 30, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Where there's smoke, there's Fiona.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | July 30, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I thought Rongen sucked?

Posted by: Reignking | July 30, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

The BBC media player's volume goes all the way to...

11.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 30, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

N. Ireland poured it on in the last few minutes of the first half and managed to head a ball off frame.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 30, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Whats the score and how do we look? I don't have flash drive at work.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 30, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

USA 2 - N. Ireland 0

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 30, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

2-0 at half. We're making them look like a U-15 them. They've had an opportunity or two, but we've dominated possession, look more creative, and our just more physically mature than them. Even the 16 year old Salgado. We're taller, bigger, faster, stronger.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 30, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Thanks. I saw the game against Denmark. Salgado and Agedulo look like players. I have seen Gale play live and so I am aware know how good he is.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 30, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

So they're showing highlights from the U-15 final between Chelsea and Cruz Azul, and Cruz Azul's goalie is TERRIBLE.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 30, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

We're taller, bigger, faster, stronger.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 30, 2010 2:03 PM

...and they're playing harder, with more energy, aggression, and with more purpose.

Comprehensive performance that first half...

Posted by: JkR- | July 30, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Zac MacMath, "apparently a student at the University of Mary-land."

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 30, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

NI with a couple of opportunities in the 58th, but we pull it out with some last ditch work.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 30, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

We seem to be playing a bit more cautious, absorbing and countering.

Right now, we're doing a lot more absorbing.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 30, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

You can always count on the Irish to recognize they're beaten, and quietly fold their tents and retreat like gentlemen.

Wait, no you can't. They're fighting like terrier's to climb back into this. Game on...

Posted by: JkR- | July 30, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

A google search tells me Alex Molano is a 5-8, 165 middie out of the FCD Juniors program, currently with Dinamo Zagreb.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 30, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

And there's the 3rd, by some guy whose name I didn't catch. 3-0 US

Posted by: JkR- | July 30, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see that Bob Bradley found a side gig as 4th official while the US works out his new contract. Gotta get paid.

Posted by: me_ahogo | July 30, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I click away to check the blog and we're up 3-0. Maybe I shouldn't watch because all the goals happened while I was doing something else.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 30, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

3-0. Adrian Roulas?

Former Santos Laguna player who once wore a Mexico shirt and now plays for us, third goal this tournament.

A cross along the ground from the endline towards the penalty spot, even with the near post, a shot with the right foot across the body, and to the low, far corner. Great finish.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 30, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Well done, Mr. Rongen. And to the US boys.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | July 30, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Reulas. My b.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 30, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I thought Rongen sucked?
Posted by: Reignking
======

Yeah. He should have been fired at halftime.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 30, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Donnybrook in the 75th. Hagerty and Agbossumonde sent off.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 30, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Northern Ireland dude, you picked the wrong guy to pick on, GALE.

Problem is, he didn't handle it well, and in his effort to push him away did so with his hand at the guys throat, so, reds to both.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 30, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Oops, Argy - Bargy moves quickly to fracas, and one red card to each side, include Gale something who should have stayed out of it.

NI dude took a kick at our keeper, and had we stayed out of the fracas he would have gone on his own...

Posted by: JkR- | July 30, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Sorry that was a typo. I meant to type "Gale," but it came out as "Agbossumonde."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 30, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

To clarify, those confused by I-270's use of 'donnybrook' for what we Insider's would typically call a 'fracas'; I believe he was just honoring the local term...

'Fracas' is still preferred outside of the Emerald Isle...

Posted by: JkR- | July 30, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

This dude can't go two minutes without mentioning our height. Can't blame him though, we may have 3 players on the field that aren't at least 6-1

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 30, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

They're after me lucky charms.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 30, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Agreed Jacob-ish, they have over-mentioned the physical attributes of the US players, and under mentioned that they are flat out more talented and playing with more endeavor, regardless of size.

Still and all, a minor quibble. They've also said a number of times that the better side is winning.

Posted by: JkR- | July 30, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

De Las Cobo, the Dynamo's likely next grand product, alsmot scores late.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 30, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

USA wins the Milk Cup. Get your Oreos and dunk 'em.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 30, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

MacMath, point blank save.

and JkR, I'm totally fine with this. Let them think Agudelo is just going to try to shoulder them down whilst chasing a long touch, and then he'll just stepover here, stop and go there, and then he's beat 5 defenders before putting a ball in the net. Let them think Gale is just going to win the headers, then watch him possess, dribble, and pass the ball around them from defense. Guess what boys? They've got all the skill to go with that size.

It's the old "Our best athletes don't play soccer" argument starting to crumble down. They're starting to.

3-0 final.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 30, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm waiting for the Studio commentators to asked for birth certificates.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 30, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Like my kids, 5 seconds and they've broken the trophy.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 30, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

That was funnnnn to watch though.

Keep in mind that was our U-20s sans Gyau, Renken, Gil, and Jack Mac.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 30, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Fischy, sorry for misunderstanding your post in the Bradley thread. I still think Boskovic is gonna be just fine.

And sorry to everyone else for hijacking the thread.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 30, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

...and Lletget, Zahavi and Bowen.

Posted by: BooThisMan | July 30, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 30, 2010 2:44 PM
=======================

Happens all the time.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | July 30, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Agbossumonde = The Department of Agriculture will Rule Your World?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | July 30, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Post endorses Fenty . . . and Baltimore United looks more likely . . .

He has delivered: The District of Columbia today is a better place to live and work than it was four years ago. It is for that reason that we enthusiastically endorse Mr. Fenty in the Democratic primary for mayor.

Posted by: delantero | July 30, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Agbossumonde is a girl's name.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 30, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Agbossumonde is a girl's name.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 30, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Dude looks like a lady? :)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 30, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

SportzNut,

it's a lame joke based upon DC supporters once chanting "Scarlett is a girl's name" at a player whose LAST name was Scarlett.

Gale might be a girl's name but Gale Sayers and Gale Goodrich might differ...

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 30, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Two DC United shooters missed entirely. At least two of the other DC United penalty kicks that the RSL keeper saved were poorly taken. But almost every one of Niedermeier's saves was very impressive.

Posted by: DCUSince96 | July 30, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Technically, the FIRST four saves prevented RSL from winning. Not the last.

Could've done without the close-up slo-mo anguish on the RSL kid whose shot was saved.

First and last saves were particularly good. He had to change his hand position in mid-dive on the first. And catching a shot outright is always impressive, even if you don't have to worry about rebounds in postgame PKs.

Posted by: BDVienna | July 31, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse