Video: K.C. Wizards' stadium commercial

On Monday, we addressed D.C. United's (sorry) stadium situation. Today, through the use of an online video ad that might prompt a chuckle, we look at progress made by the Kansas City Wizards on their facility project (stadium fact sheet here):

By Steve Goff  |  July 27, 2010; 11:14 AM ET
Categories:  MLS  | Tags: Kansas City Wizards stadium, MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tuesday kickaround: D.C.'s interest in Raul? Sir Alex backs Bradley, Salgado scores, TV listings
Next: MLS news & notes

Comments

messing with construction workers = comedy genius! or something like that

Posted by: diego_r | July 27, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Funny and depressing at the same time.

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | July 27, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Great ad. New stadium looks fantastic. Really hope it is filled every night ...

Posted by: jofij | July 27, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Jofij... I think the stadium will be filled or close to capacity regularly. Their front office appears to know what it is doing. That stadium looks class.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 27, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

agree with grubbs. KC continues to sell out their little baseball stadium and it may be a little more orange slice than ultra but this stadium looks like it's got it all. Like the part about it being the first MLS stadium lit for HDTV.

Visiting Seattle last week for the first time since the Sounders went big time and seeing this while we seem to be moving closer and closer to relocating our club to Baltimore is aggravating. If United wasn't sucking so bad on the pitch it would be less of a PITA.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 27, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

The fact sheet makes it sound awesome. Color me jealous. Maybe one day we'll have our own shinny, new... (or not)

Posted by: tcbannon | July 27, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

OK. This is what we do, we pull a prank bigger than anything Cal Tech or MIT could ever do. We sneak into KC, steal their stadium, and put it in an RFK parking lot. Who's with me?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 27, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm with ya 270.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 27, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, let's do it, 270! We'll finally get back at that crusty old Dean!

Posted by: Logan_Circle | July 27, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

The champion of the "best new stadium ad" category remains (and it pains me to say this as a DCU supporter)....the Red Bulls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY2I_OFJZEs

Posted by: Pedalada | July 27, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Why not steal Nats stadium, widen it, and La BB section, and add the "Cerveza Fria" beer seller then we should be good. And its a shorter distance.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | July 27, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I'll call the Discovery Channel and get them to do a special on the move. Seeing I-270 haul that stadium up I-81 with his Dodge Caravan (V6, with Stow-n-Go) will be awesome.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | July 27, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how many takes it took for them to hit the portajon with the Jubilani.

Posted by: biga116 | July 27, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

This is what MLS needs. More tiny stadiums in the boonies that it can't fill.

Posted by: Boogie_Knight | July 27, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | July 27, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Boogie Knight, have you seen how close to Kansas City proper the stadium actually is? Not to mention it's in the same vicinity as many well established entertainment destinations. Including the little baseballl stadium they play in now, Dave and Buster's, Hooters, a giant mall and a NASCAR race track... The Wiz continue to sell out their little ballpark now. I doubt with the buzz that will build that they will be doing any worse than United at this point.
Just sayin'. I'm more jealous of KC's set up than the Red Bulls or PU.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 27, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Rand, if DCU would produce some hot fitteds I'd rock one! I can't stand hats with a pre-bent bill. ughh.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 27, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

As someone who is a confessed Stadium Nerd, who has literally written a school paper on how the Roman Coliseum effected changes in stadium design we still see today, these MLS stadiums just keep getting better and better and better. That fact sheet says from one sideline and endline to first row is 16 feet. I think mine at KSU soccer stadium arent that close. That's awesome.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 27, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Good to know, JofA-ish.

OT: an update from one of our Insider colleague:

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | July 27, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

There is more going on in the boonies of KC that there is downtown. If you put it in downtown KC at nights and on the weekends it would be in the middle of nowhere.

Since there is only one construction worker with the runs on the construction site how are they ever going to get this thing built?

Posted by: csd1 | July 27, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

And he's in the bathroom. I hope he washes his hands before building the concession stands.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 27, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Steve Cherundolo has been named Captain of Hannover 96, after spending some time as Vice Captain. Good for him. That's a big deal.

US Soccer also reporting he will continue his term of Mayor.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 27, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Thanks DadRyan for explaining the KC stadium. I have been to KC numerous times and this stadium is built in a good location.

Sasha Klejstain scored today in a Champions League Qualifier round for Anderlecht. Now I know this fact contradicts the perception on this board that Klejstain isn't fit to kick a ball but I am just the messenger.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 27, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

dude, I'm an ex messenger and I am not surprised in the least by Emo getting some shine in Belgium. While he's slumped at Chivas and for the Nats I'm sure his World Cup dis has got him primed for success at RSCA. Count me in as one who wouldn't be surprised to see dude become a star for his new club.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 27, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Not bad. But it would have been funnier if KC had had Kamara goof up the shot a la his comical miss earlier this season.

Posted by: gocaps2 | July 28, 2010 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Agreed, gocaps2/ He should have stood two feet (or inches!) in front of the door and missed! That would be classic.

All in all a nice commercial and a cool stadium.

Posted by: lrg123123 | July 28, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse