Wednesday World Cup kickaround

*Liz Clarke reports from Cape Town on the Netherlands' 3-2 victory over Uruguay. I look ahead to the Spain-Germany showdown here in Durban.

*A look at the front page image of The Post's Sports section.

Today's match data:
Kickoff: 2:30 p.m. ET
TV: ESPN, Univision, ESPN Deportes, ESPN3.com
(replay on ESPN Classic at 6 p.m., ESPN2 at 2 a.m. Thursday)
Prediction: Spain on PKs after a 2-2 draw.

With a Euro vs. Euro matchup in Sunday's final now certain, the continent will finally have a team win the championship outside of Europe. (Well, this year's tournament is in the same time zone as most of Europe.) The previous winners and locations:

1934: Italy in Italy
1938: Italy in France
1954: West Germany in Switzerland
1966: England in England
1974: West Germany in West Germany
1982: Italy in Spain
1990: West Germany in Italy
1998: France in France
2006: Italy in Germany

Okay, time to pick tonight's winner:

By Steve Goff  |  July 7, 2010; 7:18 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Germany , Poll , South Africa , Spain , TV  | Tags: South Africa, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The trouble with leopards
Next: World Cup separated at birth

Comments

Germany in extra time 3-2. Klose with a hatrick.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 7, 2010 7:27 AM | Report abuse

The Octopus is never wrong...well except when Germany plays Spain.

I'll pick Germany 2-0 over Spain.

Posted by: Southeasterner | July 7, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

In one pool I picked Spain, the other Germany. Hate to ignore the octopus, but I feel it's that close. Should be a corker of a game.

Posted by: ldmay | July 7, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

I've had Spain all the way, and I've lived there. No picking against them now (although I really expect the Germans to win).

I swear I wrote the same thing two years ago.

Posted by: Reignking | July 7, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Thought I could still make changes in TdF today. Whoops.

Posted by: Reignking | July 7, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Germany 3-1. Sunday will be epic

Posted by: knape1 | July 7, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I voted for Germany to go through on penalties, but on second thought Spain is more likely to prevail, for one simple reason: Casillas >>> Neuer.

Posted by: shmoozer | July 7, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

My Kopf says Germany, but my corazon says Spain.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 7, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

First running of the bulls today. Too much good stuff going on to keep track of...

Posted by: Reignking | July 7, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

If they had timed it right, the bulls could have chased the peleton down cobblestone streets.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 7, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

I270: right there with you.

And what I wouldn't give to see the bulls chasing bike-soccer-playing cyclists on wet pavement. ESPN would have to start a new channel just for that.

Posted by: ldmay | July 7, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

In Paul I Trust. ESP in ET

Posted by: fedssocr | July 7, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Running of the bulls chasing the peloton down a grease covered U St.???? I had a buddy in another city crash on a used cooking grease spill years ago. He didn't get scraped up that bad, but he looked and smelled like bucket of KFC.

@RK, are your picks that bad? I made a few transfers but my squad isn't much different than I started with.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 7, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

DR: It's ok. I'm sure I would've made some changes, but would've kept my top two picks (Cancellera, Thor). I might've dumped Andy Schleck since his bro is out.

Posted by: Reignking | July 7, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Based on results so far, Germany should win it.

Posted by: tundey | July 7, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

My TdF picks changed drastically. Dropped Cancellara b/c Chavanel was surely going to keep a 2 1/2 minute lead on flat roads .. which he would have had he not had a mechanical then a flat!

I did drop Tyler F. in favor of Thor, though, but then didn't put G. Thomas in the lineup as surely a newbie wouldn't do well on cobbles . . . but then Liggett said he did very well in the amateur Paris Roubaix . .

Posted by: delantero | July 7, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

DR, I actually led the group in the practice phase, now that I look at it.

BTW, if you make changes, make sure you click the box that says to apply changes to all days.

delantero, nice move -- I saw Farrar is way at the bottom, although he did well today.

Posted by: Reignking | July 7, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm happy to see I'm not the outlier, but I think Germany will will this match, too. I was surprised to read in Goffinho's article that Spain was the favorite.

Posted by: DrBeaker | July 7, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse