Weekend soccer TV listings: Friendlies, MLS

What are you going to watch?
FRIDAY
Brazil, Avai-Palmeiras 3 p.m. GolTV
WPS, Boston-Washington 5 p.m. FSC
MLS, D.C. United-Los Angeles 7:30 p.m. FSC
SuperLiga, Houston-Chivas USA 8 p.m. Telefutura
SuperLiga, Pachuca-Puebla 10:30 p.m. Telefutura

By Steve Goff  |  July 16, 2010; 9:32 AM ET
Categories:  MLS , SuperLiga , TV , Women  | Tags: Friendlies, MLS, SuperLiga, WPS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bryan Namoff says he hopes to play again after recovering from concussion
Next: BBC: Jol or Eriksson for Fulham job

Comments

Welcome back, SG and big ups, love and dap to you and the team out in SA and the team here who kept the lights on and the engine running. Thanks everyone on a job well done.

Posted by: Kosh2 | July 16, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Welcome back Goffinho!

Also, thanks so much for the awesome coverage. Don't worry, DC United is still giving up 88th minute goals to crush the soul of the team :(

Posted by: strago | July 16, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I'm not allowed to watch soccer for a few weeks.

Posted by: Reignking | July 16, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

The estimated epicenter of this morning's earthquake is a few blocks from where my son's U8 team practices. But we will not change the team name to Quakes, Earthquakes, or eQuakes. Maybe Quaker Oats.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 16, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Boskovick did not look very special at all, but I guess no one was really expecting this guy to be the next Messi anyway...And of course, Troy Perkins should have been replaced for good weeks ago. He is the worst keeper in the league, or at least the worst starting keeper in the league.

Posted by: alan19 | July 16, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

ronaldinho to la galaxy, is this even possible??? apparently, dave checketts said a very high profile brazilian was going to sign for galaxy in next couple days, and soccernet is implying it is ronaldinho...that would be huge, and la would be monstrous.

Posted by: dfunkt | July 16, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I'll probably catch the United v Celtic match tonight and then I'll watch "the" DC United give up a late goal to lose on Sunday, most likely live in person.

I-270, I recommend changing the name to (whatever color the team wears) "Shakers." That sounds tough, right?

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 16, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

A mystery team from England is thinking about getting a team started in Atlanta.

Scounthorpe United Atlanta?!!

Sad news about Emilio. The writing was on the wall and he wasn't likely to be a great offensive contributor again but it's still cruel that his DC career ended with a concussion in front of a small US Open Cup crowd on a hot day.

We've got 1 goal in our past 4 league games and are releasing the guy who scored 41 league goals in 3 seasons. A good illustration of how things can go pear shaped!

DC United sucks this year. There was never a point in the offseason where it looked like the front office had made improvements over last season's underwhelming team - so no one should be surprised.

While we've improved since about the AC Milan game we've only gotten good enough to be competitive for 90 minutes, not good enough to reel off an improbably long winning streak that would get us into the playoff picture.

For DC United, the competitive part of the 2010 MLS regular season has been over for several weeks. Now we can play the spoiler role, watch some of our younger players develop and see if we can pull another trophy out of the slightly competitive US Open Cup.

And RockoTodd needs to stay away from the keyboard. Just stand in the corner with your nose pressed against the wall for the rest of our games this season.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 16, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Yes, Ronaldinho is huge.

Posted by: Reignking | July 16, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Well in Reignking.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 16, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Well in Reignking.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 16, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Ives's is speculating that Rafeal Marquez is a target of the NYRB. They would play him at defensive mid. I know he is hated by most American fans but I would be so happy with that move.

I love when Marquez plays defensive mid for Mexico. He is a player and would improve the squad.

I also don't hold grudges against Mexico players longer than a week after games with the US.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 16, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I'll take any MLS team in Atlanta, but I really hope Arthur Blank is involved. I'm not really sure how these foreign-sponsored clubs help anyone.

Posted by: Reignking | July 16, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Farrar has dropped from Le Tour...

Posted by: Reignking | July 16, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Cobi Jones might still hold a grudge.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 16, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I'm very confused by the Perkins comment above. He certainly wasn't the reason for last night's game and his play has improved noticeably during the past month. In April I get the comment but not now. Way too harsh.

Posted by: blackandred777 | July 16, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I agree with grubbsbl about Mexican national team players in general, forget and forget, but Marquez is "special". Cleat to Howard, do not forget the crushing of Cobi in WC '02, and all this by the captain of the team. Nice leadership. So let the Cows sign him, it couldn't happen to a nicer team.

As for the Brazilian signing, why Ronaldinho? A more realistic choice - Ronaldo! Past his prime, ready for US adulation, teaches Edson how to finish like a machine.

Posted by: jojosbo | July 16, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

It takes more than.................cute seasonal slogans and lip service to win in MLS.

Posted by: blackandred777 | July 16, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I'd be a fan of fat Ronaldo in MLS

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 16, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Ronaldo could hang out with Eddie Murphy.

blackandred: wewintrophies!

Posted by: Reignking | July 16, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I'm really sick of hearing how NY and LA are getting better with DP signings and now DCU has an unknown DP that didn't burn up the field on his debut last night. We have roster room and cap space - where is this team going? I'm not talking about salvaging this season, likely too late for that. I'm talking about building for the future. We need to start NOW.

Posted by: soccerman | July 16, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

How do you guys do bold? Actually, I don't care to learn.

Soccerman, I think we really need a nice stadium to attract these big names.

Also, DC is a World class city. I prefer it to NYC or LA but I don't think it holds the allure that some of the big names are looking for.

I guess we could get players like Ljunberg but then I would have to read a bunch of posts on how he sucks, making us no better than Flounders fans.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 16, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I thought Bosko looked pretty sharp last night, for a guy who showed up 10 days ago. I thought his passes and touches were calm and crisp. The defense thing is an issue, but thats why Clyde is there to back him up. He and Hernandez looked out of synch quite a bit, but that is to be expected. I think its harsh to judge someone as "terrible" based on a little more than 20 minutes on the field.

Posted by: VTUnited | July 16, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Once again, our defensive 4 holds out for 85 minutes, then we have a more offensive sub,and try to go to three in back then BAM !! Our offense is a toothless (and clawless) tiger !! Poor Tino is struggling to make a good pass, Ponty can't get the ball and nobody can give Najar a ball he can play!!
This is awful!!We need a speedy playmaker and TINO isn't it.

Posted by: patrick18 | July 16, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I don't think United can compete with LA and NY for DP talent until they get a new stadium. I've said this before but I don't think things will turn around for this franchise until the stadium issue is resolved. Only time will time if I'm right about this.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | July 16, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

@patrick18 - Onalfo didn't go to 3 in the back (as the announcers said), he moved Najar to RB.

Posted by: VTUnited | July 16, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

grubbs,

My bad. I didn't see your post until after I posted mine.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | July 16, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

If the rumor I heard last night is true, DCU is still working on a *major* signing-- *huge* name. Don't give up yet! (Give up when this one slips away like all of others).

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | July 16, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

By the way, last night looked like Holland v. Spain(well, except for the quality of the football). A lot of very nasty fouls. I know about the animonsity between fans; I didn't realize it made its way to the pitch.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | July 16, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I don't get this "suspend (his) season" report from DCU.com. It sounds as if Namoff elected to cease playing for reasons exclusive to him.

He can't play because he isn't cleared medically to play. He didn't make that determination; responsible medical personnel did.

Isn't this all just a little disengenuous? After all, a big question is the mix here is that Namoff played in a subsequent game after hurting his brain bone; that happened upon being cleared by DCU's technical staff following input from the trainer.

Is DCU trying to position itself to avoid liability for negligently clearing Namoff to play after getting hurt by somehow spinning Namoff's cessation of playing as a product of his decision-making?

Maybe a jury ends up making that call.

Posted by: lgm6986 | July 16, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I immediately believed Perkins could and should have saved that header, but was simply too slow getting across the goal and did not make a great attempt to save the ball after he could have read the direction of the header.

I'm all for getting MLS here, but it would be all the better with Uncle Arthur's name attached.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 16, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Maybe a jury ends up making that call.

Posted by: lgm6986
----------------------------

What is so confusing about this? He can't play right now and may not be able to play ever again. In the off chance he does recover fully he chose to say his career is "suspended" rather than over.

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | July 16, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | July 16, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

This won't work for soccer but when the Cowboys, Eagles, and Giants collide with each other I always pull for as physical a game as possible within the rules. The bigger the hit during these games the bigger my cheer.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | July 16, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

"As a Man City and Rangers fan, who do I root for tonight? It's like the Cowboys playing the Giants!

Posted by: Dougmacintyre"

Simple - Rangers. More Americans on the roster.

Posted by: soccerman | July 16, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Bold, italics, hyperlinks... I can't do any of that stuff.

Bwahahahahahahahah!!!

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | July 16, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

@BlackandRedRedDevil,

Tenorio reported another possible DP signing back on 7/1 when Hernandez signed, but your rumor is the only whisper I've heard of it since.

Posted by: benonthehill | July 16, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

we're signing a "*huge* name"?

i'm going to rfk to get my jan vennegoor of hesselink shirt printed up right now.

Posted by: stairs | July 16, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dougmacintyre"

Simple - Rangers. More Americans on the roster.

Posted by: soccerman | July 16, 2010 12:51 PM |

Umm, soccerman, what he meant was that Man Utd (cross-city rivals of Man City) are playing Celtic (cross-city and bitter rivals of Rangers). He doesn't know which team he wants to LOSE more.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | July 16, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

we're signing a "*huge* name"?
Posted by: stairs
===========

We have a winner.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 16, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

benonthehill -- nope, this is someone else.

stairs -- if they charge by the letter you will be pleasantly surprised.

I-270 -- +1

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | July 16, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

we're signing a "*huge* name"?
Posted by: stairs
===========

We have a winner.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 16, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Ahh, but when that one falls through, y'all will be slapping yourselves on the forehead and saying "I could've had a V of H."

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 16, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

benonthehill -- nope, this is someone else.

stairs -- if they charge by the letter you will be pleasantly surprised.

I-270 -- +1

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | July 16, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Sory for the double post. Computer problems all day. Might as well go home, pour me a nice cold Honeymoon and set up the TV for 7:00 pm.

Anyone besides me and Mr. BaRRD going to the Linc next Wednesday? (JoeDoc and Reignking: Pat's or Geno's?)

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | July 16, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 16, 2010 2:50 PM

We have an honorable mention!

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | July 16, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

@BlackandRedRedDevil,

So who was the unnamed Tenorio dude that has now been rendered irrelevant by the really HUGE unnamed BRRD dude?

Posted by: benonthehill | July 16, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse