Weekend soccer TV: MLS, friendlies, Mexico, WPS

What are you going to watch?
FRIDAY

Brazil, Palmeiras-Corinthians 3 p.m. GolTV
WPS, Atlanta-Gold Pride 5 p.m. FSC
Mexico, Club America-Jaguares 5 p.m. Univision
MLS, Los Angeles-Chicago 7:30 p.m. FSC

By Steve Goff  |  July 29, 2010; 9:09 PM ET
Categories:  TV  | Tags: Soccer on TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bob Bradley will guide USA vs. Brazil
Next: Video: D.C. United youth keeper stops 5 penalties

Comments

So FSC's just showing Tony Robbins infomercials all day Saturday, then...? :-)

Posted by: Juan-John1 | July 29, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

No, proactive.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 29, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

One more week till the Football League kicks-off on FS+. Holding out till then

Posted by: Kev29 | July 29, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Is ESPN going to be broadcasting select EPL and La Liga again this year?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 29, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to watch the Milk Cup. Oh, I meant a cup of milk with tea, sugar, cinnamon, and cardamom. You folks know it by the redundant name Chai Tea Latte.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 29, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Crystal Palace v. Montreal at the Plex Sat night 7 pm

Posted by: OWNTF | July 29, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Regardless of whether he's right or wrong, it's striking to hear a local elected official talking up soccer. When was the last time you heard that in DC?

Sigh...

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | July 29, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

=====================================

The last time I remember hearing it was 10/29/2006 when Fenty was making a SSS promise to United fans that he obviously had no intention of keeping.

Posted by: croftonpost | July 30, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse

DC United, MLS, MLS, and MLS. Zero interest in the friendly's. Whether you call it a friendly, a scrimmage, or an exhibition I detest preseason action in any sport. They may be a necessity but they are definitely one big zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Posted by: croftonpost | July 30, 2010 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Going to the friendly in DCU's future home, or at least what could be for a year while the SSS is built at Westport. Why bother to watch the RSL game? I don't imagine Goff is covering it since he didn't go to the ASG.

I hear that an element to the feasibility study is a grass field at Ravens Stadium to be broughht in and out for MLS games.

Posted by: mightymax | July 30, 2010 6:37 AM | Report abuse

Going to the beach. No time for soccer. I'll probably stream the DC United game. Maybe watch the City Inter game, maybe.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 30, 2010 7:23 AM | Report abuse

In case you missed it, don't expect to see the US U-20 ladies team in any of the U-20 World Cup games this weekend. They lost in the quarterfinals to Nigeria on PKs. :-(

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | July 30, 2010 7:25 AM | Report abuse

No Sion for Adu. Sionara.

Posted by: Reignking | July 30, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Reignking refers to the latest sad chapter of the Freddy saga:

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 30, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Toluca-Pachuca, Gianluca Pagliuca!

because it rhymes....

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 30, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

I would love to weigh in on the Freddy saga, but to do so would require me to make negative statements that would be viewed as complaints. I have a unique view of his ordeal, and unfortunately, any rational discussion would likely not include a whole lot of positive elements.

Posted by: lgm6986 | July 30, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Haha Igm6986. Please way in. I apologize and miss your viewpoint. I too have thoughts about Freddy, some negative and some positive.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 30, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I believe Benfica owns Freddy's contract for two more years. It may be they want more for it than it's worth. It isn't worth it for many clubs to invest much in Freddy in the way of playing time because there is still a learning curve that needs to be surmounted; if he succeeds, Benfica takes him back or sells to the highest bidder, but if he fails, it is Sion (or other loan club) that pays the price. My read was that Sion liked him, but he wasn't worth selling out their season.

Posted by: troy6 | July 30, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

In regards to the Freddy saga, I think some blame has to fall onto the MLS and his surrounding hype machine. I had the honor of playing against him in youth competition and I must say he was incredible at 14 and 15.

The simple truth is that many kids across the globe have the potential and talent to be big name players but for many reasons they just flame out. Freddy seemed to represent the first real star name in modern US history. His potential was over hyped (and way too much pressure was placed upon him) at such a young age, leading to the risk of him never fulfilling it was always high. This is not to say that at 14 or 15 he represented a class player. All of the big brass across the World in youth soccer approved of his potential ability. Unfortunately he has hit a wall and I for one think it is a shame.

For those of you who argue that Freddy should have went to a European youth system I just offer the counter point of Brandon Manzonelli (a player who I had the honor to play with at Lafayette High School in St. Louis, MO). As a freshmen he was miles better technically than any player on our team (a team which included two U-17 Scott Gallagher National Champions and multiple freshmen on another national champion caliber Scott Gallagher club). Yet, Manzonelli also failed to fulfill his potential despite being at a Spanish powerhouse. Another shame in my opinion because I got to know him personally because my brother was in the same grade and played on the Gallagher clubs with him. He did manage to get me a signed Requilme jersey…

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 30, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

lgm: who could say anything positive about the Freddy saga at this point?

Ok, I'll try. This Sion trial was just that -- a trial. I think they had him in so that he could practice. Sion played Benfica the other week -- maybe they were helping them out.

Unless something else doesn't work out, I'm not too bothered that a Swiss team didn't want him.

Posted by: Reignking | July 30, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

And Manzonelli was at Jozy's team...

If you look at old US youth teams, you can see how many names you don't recognize.

I think Freddy also has a position problem. He's an AMC, but that's such a key position that it is tough to hand it to someone that hasn't succeeded there yet.

Posted by: Reignking | July 30, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Toluca-Pachuca, Gianluca Pagliuca!
because it rhymes....
Posted by: Joel_M_Lane
==========

Sambuca, Hookah, San Juan de Fuca!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 30, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

He's marching from Sion
Beautiful, beautiful Sion . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | July 30, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I could see good things happening for a humbled and hungry Adu playing under Arena, Kinnear or Backe. There's a lot of experience in the Galaxy locker room, especially, even if/when Donovan leaves.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 30, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

IF the DC U17 goalie stopped 5 straight PKs in a 5-4 shoot-out win, and converted the winner himself, doesn't that also mean that the other keeper must have stopped 4 straight?

Posted by: OWNTF | July 30, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

OWNTF: DCU shooters could've Baggio'd it.

Posted by: Reignking | July 30, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Sambuca, Hookah, San Juan de Fuca!
-----------------------------------

Frau Blücher.............(horses whinny!!)

Posted by: timmy6 | July 30, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lgm6986 | July 30, 2010 9:13 AM
==================

I think it's beginning to set in.

As pennance, you must post five consecutive posts praising Dave Kaspar. His hair, his adidas Sambas... something. Then you can return to your "critical analysis" by calling him Kevin Payne's b--t boy.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | July 30, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I can't contain myself... sorry Ron16...
@mightymax, what kind of chump @$$ "fan" of United are you? A front running, hipster geek who wants to steal our club? You might as well just move to Seattle dude. Why wait for United to get moved to Baltimore? You can't be bothered to watch them in league play but you've got nothing but high hopes for the club to get moved.

I love Baltimore personally, but your disrespecting current supporters with your cavalier attitude about the club being moved.
Enjoy the atmosphere at your pointless friendly geek.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 30, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

pretty harsh dad. the dude would prefer to watch Inter Milan and Man City play live and in person while he's got the chance rather than watch a meaningless United game on Comcast. Maybe scope out what the commute to a Mid-Atlantic United game would be like. I don't see the disrepect.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 30, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Dad:

I want what’s best for the team, and that is for them to play in a SSS. It benefits the front office because it gets their work space out of that dump RFK, it benefits the team because they will play in an atmosphere that will be more inspiring than anything they have ever played in, and it will benefit ownership because it will allow Will to make a fair return on his investment by having a greater control over the revenue streams.

The only SSS at this point in time that has any chance of appearing is the one in Baltimore. I understand it is not DC, but it also is not St. Louis or some other farther away market. If it comes to fruition it is the best option DCU has, until or unless something materializes that is closer to the zero milestone.

By the way, since 1996 I have supported DCU at over 95% of all home and away MLS games, in preseason, in Mexico, El Salvador, London, Kingston, Bermuda, Costa Rica, Santa Cruz, Santiago, Tegucigalpa, Guatemala City, Tokyo, Madrid, Paris, and Hong Kong. I have possibly attended more games than Goff. I would submit that you could take any two, maybe three of all of the regular SI bloggers, add the number of games they have all seen, and it would not surpass my number.

That would be the kind of United fan that I am.

Meet me at Pickles and I'll buy you a Natty Bo.

Posted by: mightymax | July 30, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

MLS to include DCU. Friendlies bore me too unless DCU is on the pitch as part of it.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | July 30, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I knew the instant I clicked submit, I'd somehow regret that... I guess the good news, I've got a Natty Bo coming to me when I visit Pickles...;)

mighty, I was clearly exhibiting the effects of waking up on the wrong side of the bed, needing a DCU league match fix even if it is doomed to be a disaster, and some disenchantment from reading the tea leaves this week. I'd take Baltimore over St. Louis any day of the week myself.

Please accept my humble apologies for being a jerk. I've been awfully bitter lately about how little joy I've gotten out of being a DCU supporter this season. If the club wasn't sucking so bad I wouldn't be bristling about the stadium drama nearly as much.
I'd just be out there enjoying as many matches at RFK as I could
while it lasts.

If anything I owe you a beer and something off the grill the next time we're both out at RFK.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 30, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | July 30, 2010 3:48 PM
======================

DudeRyan, I'm going to take "you" as the entire Insider community.

Where should we meet you for those beers and burgers?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | July 30, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Ha! Looking pretty good for family day vs the Union on August 22nd for the next match the Ryan posse may attend. Also thinking the Open Cup match vs Columbus on September 1st is going to be another can't miss evening at RFK.

The 2pm kick off for the PU match is great for the little ones. If we can get a parking spot near some shade river side in Lot 8. Our grill gets hot. Don't forget your Pot Holders...;)

Posted by: DadRyan | July 30, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Dad: Well scribed; you're entitled to a moment here and there.

Enjoy tonight's RSL game with Dave and TR. Looks as if DCU might show nicely what with a representative side on the sheet for a change.

Posted by: mightymax | July 31, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Cheer up, DadRyan.

DCU is going to win tonight in a shocker.

Posted by: Ron16 | July 31, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse