World Cup final links for Spain vs. Netherlands

Some non-Paul the Psychic Octopus news.

Those fears that the World Cup in South Africa would be beset by muggings, terrorist attacks, etc. Yeah, that didn't happen.

Sad news: Associated Press writer Robert Millward passed away on Thursday in Johannesburg, apparently of natural causes. He was recognized by FIFA on Friday.

Spain will hope to keep the Netherlands' Wesley Sneijder in check during Sunday's World Cup final. Sneijder, meanwhile, is going for the rare quadruple: Italian Cup title, Serie A title, Champions League title (all with Inter Milan) and World Cup title. No European player has ever done it.

Germany and Uruguay try to get excited about Saturday's third-place match.

Many Afrikaners in South Africa are pulling for the Netherlands because of their shared Dutch heritage.

By Matt Bonesteel  |  July 9, 2010; 11:57 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Netherlands , Spain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Paul the Psychic Octopus picks Spain to win World Cup
Next: Saturday World Cup kickaround

Comments

Jay DeMerit for DC United DP. Is that a crazy thought? Does United have 2 DP slots?

Posted by: OWNTF | July 9, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Id go for that OWNTF.

Posted by: VTUnited | July 9, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Here's an amusing World Cup angle from the Post today . . . . if you've ever sat with or near the Barra Brava you might relate . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | July 9, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Sneijder will be player of year.

Posted by: peridigm | July 9, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Even while the doomsday scenarios were not coming true for this World Cup you were already posting doomsday scenarios for the next World Cup. To give you full warning if continue post doomsday scenarios for the next World I will remind you how untrue they were for this World Cup.

Posted by: csd1 | July 9, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I thought England got robbed, though?

Posted by: Reignking | July 9, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Well in, King. Well in.

Posted by: Kosh2 | July 9, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Took me long enough.

Posted by: Reignking | July 9, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

@ OWNT- It crossed my mind, and would be a reasonable investment. We'd never do it.

I am so sorry for Real Madrid. I mean, to see Sneijder accomplish all that he has, when he was once on their books. JK, I love it when those morons suffer.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 9, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

"Many Afrikaners in South Africa are pulling for the Netherlands"

How have the non-Afrikaner South Africans received them? I thought that might be an interesting subtext to this tournament.

Posted by: zimbar | July 9, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Platini is in the hospital after suffering a heart attack.

Posted by: Reignking | July 9, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm reading it wasn't a heart attack.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 9, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Marca had it as an "infarto" (heart attack), then I googled it and saw anything from that to fainting. Marca still has infarto.

Posted by: Reignking | July 9, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I saw the Onalfo preview against NY, and I saw Pablo Hernandez doing pretty well. I did see Josh Wicks there, though. -___-

Posted by: KHSpartan | July 9, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

And I just wanted to say "infarto".

Posted by: Reignking | July 9, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

No chance DeMerit gets a DCU DP spot. DK (is this starting to sound like a "Good Morning, Vietnam" bit?) would never waste a boondoggle to BA in SA on a USA DP.

Reignking: Am I complaining again?

Posted by: lgm6986 | July 9, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Is Demerit even a realistic possibility? What is the current allocation order and what would the cost be to move up to that first spot?

Posted by: Josh86 | July 9, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

lgm do you mean a junket to Buenos Aires in South America?

Posted by: fallschurch1 | July 9, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Yup.

Posted by: lgm6986 | July 9, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Re Platini: They are saying fainted after having a) the flu and b) drinks but no food. I wonder if they used one of those little soccer stretchers and if the medical staff wore training vests...

Posted by: ldmay | July 9, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | July 9, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

On Wisconsin! Probably not as big as the El Salvador contingent :-) but I know quite a few Wisco natives in DC who would be likely season ticket holders if DeMerit was playing for United...it would also help if DC could change the team colors to green and gold.

Posted by: Southeasterner | July 10, 2010 12:07 AM | Report abuse