World Cup Golden Ball nominees are .....

FIFA's technical study group has announced the 10 finalists for the Golden Ball trophy, the MVP award to be presented after Sunday's championship match. Reporters covering the World Cup in South Africa will vote over the next few days.

The nominees are: Uruguay F Diego Forlan, Ghana F Asamoah Gyan, Spain MF Andres Iniesta, Argentina F Lionel Messi, Germany MF Mesut Oezil, Netherlands MF Arjen Robben, Germany MF Bastian Schweinsteiger, Netherlands MF Wesley Sneijder, Spain F David Villa and Spain MF Xavi.

Heading into the semifinals, my choice was Forlan because of his sensational goals, play in open field and leadership in guiding Uruguay to unexpected heights. At this point, my favorite player of the tournament is Iniesta, but I think my choice would have to be Sneijder for conducting the Dutch attack and scoring crucial goals (five overall). Too bad the votes will be counted before the final.

The choice for best young player (born after Jan. 1, 1989) is easy: Germany's Thomas Mueller over Ghana's Andre Ayew and Mexico's Giovani Dos Santos.

Take the Golden Ball poll:

By Steve Goff  |  July 9, 2010; 7:44 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , FIFA , Poll  | Tags: Golden Ball, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday kickaround: World Cup, FIFA, U.S. soccer
Next: Paul the Psychic Octopus picks Spain to win World Cup

Comments

I picked Forlan over Snejder because without Forlan, Uruguay probably don't make the WC at all. Snejder has been valuable, but not indispensable to the Dutch side. That's the difference in my mind.

Posted by: griffin1108 | July 9, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

I think Forlan had the tournament that Rooney was supposed to have. Involved in everything, leading from the front, scoring all manner of goals.

Posted by: JkR- | July 9, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Mueller.

Posted by: Tony-Tony-Tony | July 9, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Villa, for sure. Spain is not in the finals without its cold-blooded killer up top.

Posted by: McBride33 | July 9, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

The octopus has chosen Spain. So let it be written, so let it be done.

Posted by: Reignking | July 9, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Why is Messi on that list?

Posted by: combedge | July 9, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Swear Maradona had a better tournament than Messi...

I voted for Forlan as he was amazing from everywhere. He is very fun to watch.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 9, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

It's between Forlan and Sneijder for me and in that case, to me it has to be Forlan. Did more to propel his team onward with less around him than Sneijder has - though Sneijder's been great and that can't be denied, either.

Posted by: writered21 | July 9, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

How can this be voted on before the Final? That's ludicrous! What if Sneijder scores two goals and the Dutch win? What if Iniesta or Villa have great games, score a goal, and Spain wins? Or any of them have lousy games, and the 0-0 match is decided on PKs?

This approach is more ridiculous than Kobe winning the finals MVP after a 6-24 performance in Game 7.

Posted by: ah___ | July 9, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Xavi is the straw that stirs the drink. Just ask Messi . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | July 9, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I voted forlan. I doubt my vote would change after the final...

Posted by: wordup1 | July 9, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse