World Cup: the scene in Montevideo

Each and every one (really!) of Uruguay's 3.33 million residents celebrates in the streets after the penalty kick victory over Ghana in the World Cup quarterfinals on Friday night:

By Steve Goff  |  July 3, 2010; 7:30 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup  | Tags: Uruguay, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ghana vs. Uruguay: World Cup stunner as Uruguay wins on penalty kicks
Next: Germany vs. Argentina in World Cup quarterfinal

Comments

Abreu may be the only option to replace Suarez up front, but that's a shame because he provided NOTHING during the run of play. He may have contributed a cheeky and almost disrespectful clinching PK, but he did nothing useful on offense the entire time he was on the pitch. Just my dos centavos.

Posted by: SoyUnited | July 3, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

That's exactly what the National Mall will look like if El Salvador ever reaches the round of 16. And I think I saw someone in a Terps jersey setting a couch on fire.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 3, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe that Steve isn't covering the detention-release of Paris Hilton on suspicion of marijuana possession. Whatever happened to the intepid entertainment reporter who broke the Speidi news in Central America.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 3, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

That's hot.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 3, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

TdeFrance game is up and running

Public Group: Argy Bargy

Posted by: delantero | July 3, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

"intrepid," not "intepid." You're either hot or cold about the latter.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 3, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Got my TDF fantasy squad picked.
Organ Donors are gonna wreck shop!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 3, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

If I can beat a dead 'orse, Uruguay's win was deplorable...not a cause for celebration.. It comes out of a weakness in the rules of the game. Instead of conceding the 100% chance of Ghana's goal, Suarez cheats and takes the slim chance his foul will go unseen in the goal-box chaos, or it will leave a PK, which are saved about 22% of the time in the pro ranks.

I rather like the comment yesterday that made the apt analogy to goaltending in basketball. The point shouldn't be just to punish the malefactor. Even in the legal system, punishment is meant to serve a larger purpose. In criminal law, it's meant to deter future crimes, protect society from the worst, and perhaps a mechanism for rehabilitation. Civil law exists to provide remedies for those who have been wronged and harmed. That's what the rules of games are supposed to do, too.

Here, the rules do not provide an adequate remedy. Like goaltending in basketball, the shot should count as a goal scored. The red card is beside the point. If the goal is prevented, the rules do not provide a fair remedy. In some situations a free kick or a PK is the only and the most appropriate remedy. In this situation, it's just not enough and there could be another remedy, as there is in basketball.

Posted by: fischy | July 3, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

fischy, the free-kick that led to the penalty kick was wrongly awarded; the Ghanian player took a dive. The penalty miss brought a bit of a level of justice. Still, if the referee had the right call, Uruguay would be in the semis with Suarez; now they are without him. Look at the game replay on ESPN and tell me if there's a foul for that free-kick.

Posted by: JPHT | July 3, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Fischy, learn the rules. Thanks.

Posted by: Hoost | July 3, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Check out Abreu's bio -- he has been on every team in the world except DCU. Doesn't he look more like a centerback, though?

Posted by: Reignking | July 3, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Fischy, learn the rules. Thanks.

Posted by: Hoost | July 3, 2010 11:04 AM

Wow, Hoost. Way to misread Fischy's post. Thanks.

Posted by: sec133row5 | July 3, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

@JPHT -- I agree with you -- and I'm crying crocodile tears for Ghana. Their conduct against the USA during the overtime was hardly good sportsmanship. I'm not saying that Ghana deserved to win. It's more about what I see as a big gap in the rules. It's not the first time I've though this -- that a PK isn't enough in that situation.

The way the rules are now, I can imagine a situation where a defender dives to grab a ball and stop it before it rolls across the line. It's comparable to what Suarez did, but it would also be more even more blatant and unsporting. I don't think anyone wants a game hat might reward such a play. It may not happen often, but it's a problem that should be addressed, with something like the goaltending rule in basketball.

Posted by: fischy | July 3, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Fischy - how is it a gap in the rules? Uruguay loses a player, and Ghana is awarded a PK, which as you pointed out is only saved 22% of the time. The reason it feels unjust is because it happened on the last play of the game, and thus the losing of a player does not sting as badly. If Suarez had done that in the 20th minute of the game, there would likely be no argument from anyone. Suarez fell on the sword and made a heads up play to keep his nation alive, and he has to suffer the consequence for doing so.

Posted by: VTUnited | July 3, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse