Zizzo lottery, D.C. United news, Mathis' retirement?

*D.C. United has the best chance of winning the rights to Sal Zizzo, the former U.S. under-20 national team midfielder who will be allocated in an MLS weighted lottery Wednesday afternoon. Even if United were to win out, however, the club could end up trading him to a Western Conference team. Zizzo, 23, is from San Diego and played at UCLA.

According to the league's communications office, United has a 16.67 percent chance of winning the lottery, followed by the Kansas City Wizards at 14.71, Chivas USA at 12.86 and the New York Red Bulls at 11.15. The New England Revolution, Toronto FC and San Jose Earthquakes are the next three. The rankings are based on a club's points total in the past 30 regular season matches, with playoff performance taken into consideration.

Zizzo had been with German club Hanover. Last fall, he tore a knee ligament and missed the Bundesliga season.

*United forward-midfielder Chris Pontius has a bone bruise in his right foot, a relief to the club after initially fearing a fracture. He won't play in the U.S. Open Cup quarterfinal against the third-tier Harrisburg City Islanders on Wednesday night at Maryland SoccerPlex. Defender Dejan Jakovic is out with a hamstring injury.

*Meantime, United might arrange a trial for Jemal Johnson, a 25-year-old outside midfielder who has played for MK Dons and Stockport County in England's third tier. Nothing has been confirmed, a United official said. Johnson was born in New Jersey but moved to England when he was young and has played for seven clubs in seven years.

*As first seen on the Insider's Twitter page earlier today, MLS veteran attacker Clint Mathis is considering retiring in the coming weeks. "It will probably happen," one source said. "Knees can't take the beating anymore." Mathis, 33, has appeared in nine league matches with the Los Angeles Galaxy for a total of 182 minutes this season, his 13th as a professional. He's earning $120,000. No comment from the club or his representative.

*In a story that will appear in Wednesday's print editions, Post colleague Zach Berman takes a look at the college soccer system and how it fits into the overall development of the national program.

By Steve Goff  |  July 20, 2010; 7:54 PM ET
Categories:  College Soccer , D.C. United , MLS , U.S. men's national team , USSF  | Tags: Clint Mathis, D.C. United, MLS, Sal Zizzo
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tuesday kickaround: MLS, D.C. United, Ronaldinho
Next: Sal Zizzo to Chivas USA

Comments

Mathis retiring to open up a roster spot for......

Posted by: njndirish | July 20, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

WOW, Jemal Johnson!! He doesn't need a tryout, sign him now...he should go straight up front w/ Hernandez thus playing Santino out right which is his best spot...trade the Zizzo pick for an outside fullback...now we r cooking with gas.

Posted by: moupper90 | July 20, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad the FO is FINALLY looking to sign some quality players- and American players, no less. Hernandez has looked ok, but I hope Bosko improves pretty soon- he hasn't shown anything. He just blends right in with the rest of the mediocrity on the pitch.

Posted by: kdiff813 | July 20, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the details on the lottery. We have just a 1-in-6 chance so people need to temper their hopes for landing Zizzo.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | July 20, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Dump Zizzo if he comes to us, and definitely sign up Jemal Johnson! I can honestly say that no matter where he goes or what he does, I will ALWAYS be a fan of Cletus (pointing to my watch!!!). Mathis was NASTY!!! I would have loved to have an in his prime Mathis at DC United!

Posted by: alan19 | July 20, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

"United has a 16.67 percent chance of winning the lottery"

Them's better odds than the powerball. I'm in for 100 tickets.

Is Milton Keynes related to John Maynard Keynes?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 20, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone else thinking that Jemal Johnson wants to move to the US so that he can play for the US in WC2014?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 20, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

If DC wins the Zizzo lottery, he'd be great insurance for when Najar inevitably leaves. Add in Zizzo's ability to play up top, and I think he'd be a great addition to DC's youth movement.

Posted by: jason1551 | July 20, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

I-270Exit1

He has played at 7 clubs in 6 years he might just be looking for some stability and regular playing time. But who wouldn't want a free trip to Brazil.

Posted by: csd1 | July 20, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

1/6 is pretty much the same odds as DCU has of winning its next league match, based on season performance. Just to put it in perspective.

So Goffinho, is Jemal the American returning that you referred to earlier today?

Posted by: benonthehill | July 20, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: paulkp | July 20, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Are we sure an English third-tier player is going to stand out in MLS? What tier did Steve Guppy play in?

The Adu speculation was fun while it lasted.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | July 20, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Not sure why people want to dump Zizzo. If he gets healthy, he's worth at least a worth-while first round draft pick. Dump him? For what? Is someone going to give us one of their many proven goal scorers? Solid fullback options? US soccer has always struggled in that position, anyone worthy would be too precious to give up.

Let's keep the chatter about trading till After the draft. But trading him sounds like a United move to me. That's not a compliment.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 20, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Is Milton Keynes related to John Maynard Keynes?

Posted by: I-270Exit1
------------------------
so Bill Bryson says...with a wink.

Posted by: troy6 | July 21, 2010 1:13 AM | Report abuse

Lovechild of JM Keynes and Milton Friedman?

OT, but somewhat apropos of the Najar discussion earlier today - MLS's site has a article up about Movsisyan, and he reaffirmed his desire to represent the US, but says his move to Denmark is holding up his acquisition of citizenship.

Posted by: BooThisMan | July 21, 2010 1:25 AM | Report abuse

Mathis's goal against South Korea in the 2002 World Cup is one for the time capsule. "That's why he's here!"

Posted by: james2033 | July 21, 2010 7:32 AM | Report abuse

I said this in yesterdays thread: Who really expects a League One journeyman to come into MLS and dominate? Do we really lack that much faith in our league? I still stick to this position.

I do agree with I-270. Succeeding in the MLS at least gets him on the radar for the USMNT.

I hope we land Sal Zizzo and keep him but that is because I want DC United to get a bunch of young Americans and win. (Is that possible? I don’t know)

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 21, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Surprised to see nothing on reports re Rafa Marquez being signed by Red Bull.

Posted by: fentysupporter | July 21, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

7 clubs in 7 years in the third division. I hope he's never a national team prospect. Might be a good fit at Harrisburg though.

Posted by: mizage | July 21, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

I think the reason that Johnson has been at seven clubs in seven years is because at times he rubs the coaches the wrong way because of his volatile attitude. He is a little older now and may have matured, but talent is not the reason why he has not been able to stay on at the same club for consecutive reasons. He is a good goal scorer, but I think the front office is reaching with this guy. Best case it works out and we have the speed we need on the front line. Worst case he will play for 8 clubs in 8 years.

Posted by: no_recess | July 21, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

What is it with these crybabies that have to be near where they grew up when they come back to MLS?

Zizzo is 23 years old, for God's sake, there shouldn't have to be any forced trades so he can run home to Mommy. He should be a professional about it, and moreover the league should stop kowtowing to such nonsense.

Posted by: StanShmenge | July 21, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

"Not sure why people want to dump Zizzo."

Because the z's in the name remind them of Szetela. If he just went by Big Sal there would be no problem.

Or maybe it reminds them of Bill Murray's character in The Life Aquatic.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | July 21, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

kowtowing? The league is trying to dictate to players where they can play in the US. Does any European League do that or anything close to it? Not that I know of.

Maybe it has nothing to do with Mommy, and the 23-year old young man would rather ply his trade in LA, SF or NY than Kansas City -- even though KC's the city "where everything's up to date, they've gone about as fer as they can go".

Or maybe he has said he'll come back to MLS and go anywhere but DC. Which would be far from irrational from a professional point of view. We're like the Baltimore Orioles of MLS, minus the nice stadium.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 21, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Hey, we got Burch because he wanted to come home!

And it worked, that first year or two, any way...

Posted by: Reignking | July 21, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Rodgers and Hammerstein also have advice for American soccer players who want to stay near their homes:

Whenever I feel afraid,
I hold my head erect.
And whistle a happy tune,
so no-one will suspect
I'm afraid.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 21, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Man, just checked Wiki...Szetela still doesn't have a new club? Ugh.

Posted by: the_slammer | July 21, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

He is trying out for a Polish team.

Posted by: Reignking | July 21, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

If he just went by Big Sal there would be no problem.
Posted by: fallschurch1
=====

No stereotyping or you'll end up like Luca Brazi - sleeping with the fishes.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 21, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

What's all this buzz about Jemal Johnson and Sal Zizzo?

Wikipedia reports that Johnson scored 20 goals in his 148 league appearances for his succession of ever-lower English clubs. This is a decent return for a midfielder. Not a striker, although his stats are in line with DCU's recent tradition of attackers. Factor in the reputed behavior problems, and you get another club-hopper with attitude. Remember Danny Szetela?

Zizzo's Wikipedia resume shows eight appearances for Hannover and Dusseldorf in 2007-10 -- the same number as he's had with various USA squads. He may have potential, but he's thoroughly unproven and seemingly injury prone. This latter factor, however, would be a good fit for DCU and its training staff.

It might be worthwhile to win Zizzo in the draft, but even bringing in Johnson for a trial is a waste of expense money and further proof of the front office's grasping at any flotsam as DCU's ship sinks.

Posted by: runningcloud | July 21, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

He is trying out for a Polish team.
Posted by: Reignking
===========

Shoe, silver, or furniture polish?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 21, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Runningcloud. You are right about Jemel. I still want to take a risk on Zizzo. Glad some people deal with reality. Mention Jemel's name on some American soccer websites and a bunch of fools will tell you how he needs a US call up.

Can we get back to wild speculation about Freddy Adu? I enjoyed that thought for a bit.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 21, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

He's a shoe-in.

Posted by: Reignking | July 21, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Totally OT but it's the only thread I got:

Anyone besides me and Mr. BaRRD going to the Linc tonight?

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | July 21, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Why, what's there?

Posted by: Reignking | July 21, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Have we already discussed this? Najar going on a trial at Arsenal after the MLS season is over?

Posted by: rockotodd | July 21, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Man U v P U.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 21, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rockotodd | July 21, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Without having seen either in recent action, Johnson and Zizzo are about the same risk / value in my view. At least both are fairly young. We may not even get one of them but to me they represent a worthwhile risk to a team that has already blown it's season.

But we can still win the Open Cup. You don't have to drive to Philadelphia to see a team from Pennsylvania tonight!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 21, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Sal Zizzo was my favorite player in the u-20 world cup that saw Freddy, Jozy, and Michael Bradley get the business done. While we all know the myriad reasons Freddy is still in the dumps, Zizzo had, what, three assists in that Poland game? Two of which he dribbled all the way from his own penalty area. He's worth getting in a draft.

ps are we really snubbing players because League One isn't good enough for us at this point?

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 21, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Looks like Szetela trying out for Lechia, Gdansk up on the Baltic. They will have a sweet stadium to play in once the Euro2012 facillities are finished. He is there with Johnny Artega and Teddy Niziolek.

Posted by: DCB23 | July 21, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Good luck to Najar. I'm not sure it's a formal trial (if there is such a thing), but it's good to see he's attracting interest. In the past some DC players have gone over to Premiere League teams for a few weeks in our offseason and their visits were characterized more as a chance to workout over there rather than a formal audition. Troy Perkins comes to mind.

I hope Najar developes into a great player but also hope he stays with DC for at least another season.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 21, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

No, but the way Goff dangled the acquisition yesterday, before the actual player was named, I think some of us were hoping for more of an established player.

It was something like DCU's drumroll for . . . Vanney a year or two ago.

But Goff's still the man!! We're just so starved we're taking every hint for a . . . to be a . . . help me out with a metaphor here.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | July 21, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Looks like DCU is a pipeline for the EPL -- Najar now, and...Nelsen. Can I count Olsen?

Posted by: Reignking | July 21, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I don't know all the rules, but if it came to it, how would Najar secure a work permit to play in the EPL?

Posted by: VTUnited | July 21, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Man U v P U.

Posted by: I-270Exit1

Yes, I can't wait to out chant those SoB's.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | July 21, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

VTUnited. He most likely would not qualify for a work permit and it would go to the appeals process. If Arsenal or United wanted him the appeal would probably work. If Stoke wanted him, it might not.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 21, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Can I count Olsen?
Posted by: Reignking
==========
Notts Forest was not in the EPL when he played there.
*******************

Yes, I can't wait to out chant those SoB's.
Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil
==========
Make sure to take vomit-repellent clothing.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 21, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Make sure to take vomit-repellent clothing.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 21, 2010 11:23 AM

Sir Alex has a tummy ache?

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 21, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

So, this lottery is with the ball machine and high priced stars putting the balls in order, or what?

It'll probably involve a paper bag, someone closing their eyes and pulling out a team name.

Posted by: delantero | July 21, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I don't know if using wikipedia is a good source for soccer stats.

Posted by: no_recess | July 21, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Whatever the mechanism, it has to be something that can be fixed so either NYRB or the Gals win.

Posted by: benonthehill | July 21, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

FYI, many of the Philly SOB's are sitting this one out. Not included in ticket package and they would rather not see 1/2 the Man U team playing 1/2 the Union.

Posted by: lrg123123 | July 21, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

That is why the lottery is called "keep pulling names until LA comes out." You all missed the memo..?

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 21, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lrg123123 | July 21, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

So last week a report came out saying an EPL team was interested in putting MLS in Atlanta, and now some really powerful, smart, rich people seem to be very interested as well. I love this news. I'm excited. Can't wait for the Beat game tonight. Gonna go take a nap.

PS- After doing some youtube research last night, I decided Tasha Kai is the Hawaiin/Female Clint Dempsey.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 21, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Just guessing, but Najar is younger than 18, and that could impact getting a work permit.

Posted by: Reignking | July 21, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Also, Women's U-20 up 1-0 on South Korea at the half.

Any guesses anyone?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 21, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I like Arsenal. But I would much rather have Andy starting for us than playing for the Arsenal reserves.

All of this supposed interest from "all over South America" is very interesting. Some of this sounds like agents talking.

Posted by: fedssocr | July 21, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

The Examiner's soccer blog also has an item about Najar and his potential national team future which includes this:
"It also bears repeating: rumors of a trial with Arsenal are completely unfounded. In fact, the way I hear it, Arsenal themselves called Najar's agent when word got to them and said, "That's news to us."

It sounds like he is definitely saying the right things when he is asked about all of this. The kid seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

Posted by: fedssocr | July 21, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Goff Twittering about waiting on word from a young American (U-20 he believes) considering an offer from MLS.

Who could that be?

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 21, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Who could that be?

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 21, 2010 2:00 PM

-------------------

Justin Bieber!

Posted by: diego_r | July 21, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

BTW - when will the Gold Cup be played in a country that is not the United States? I actually think it would help the US to play the tournament away from home. Canada was all about the U-20 World Cup in 2007 and with MLS clubs in Toronto and Vancouver (and Montreal doing pretty well too), that would seem like a good fit. 2013? What other FIFA confederation tournaments are always played in the same country? A bet even Oceania spreads the love around...

Posted by: diego_r | July 21, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

isn't Justin Bieber Canadian?

Posted by: fedssocr | July 21, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_U-20_men's_national_soccer_team Shaun Greenfield is the only player from the recent U-20 roster not connected with a team or university

Posted by: emanon13 | July 21, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Diego: I think being played in the United States serves everyones interests. We are the only country that basically allows every country to obtain a reasonable level of support. This asures good crowds and a lots of money.

It also increases the interest in the United States and lets face we, we are the cash cows everyone wants to milk.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 21, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Omar Salgado? He was with Chivas Guadalajara's youth program and let go when he accepted the U-20 call up for us. The last I saw he wanted to sign with an MLS team.

Posted by: Josh86 | July 21, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

@jacobfromatlanta-ish:

Be careful what you wish for. DCU appears primed for relocation.

Re: Najar work permit. One of the things England looks for is a player's national team experience or, in cases of young players, their national team potential. Without US citizenship, Najar's route looks like it runs through Honduras. He looks like a Wenger-type player: young and talented with a low transfer fee.

Posted by: runningcloud | July 21, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Runningcloud: I've said before and will again, I'd be fine with DC moving here, because whatever team comes here, no matter how, will have my full allegiance. United will be cool with me and I'd root for them 36 times a year, but an Atlanta team instantly becomes my favorite

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 21, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: diego_r | July 21, 2010 2:12 PM
__________________________________________

In many venues (including Estadio RFK), when CONCACAF opponents are involved, away from home is precisely how it must feel to the Yanks.

Posted by: universityandpark | July 21, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

MK Dons says that Johnson is coming to trial with DC.

Posted by: Reignking | July 21, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Also, Women's U-20 up 1-0 on South Korea at the half.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 21, 2010 1:01 PM
_________________________________________

It's now final. (Yep, it was the Leroux show again.) Next up: Nigeria on Sunday. Interestingly, Colombia got through to the quarters, but Brasil did not.

Posted by: universityandpark | July 21, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Back from Emerald City... I did watch the heartbreaker last Thursday with a house full of casual Sounders fans. Missed the Gals/United match as I was at a wedding, and checked the result later but I must admit it was a nice change of pace to watch ZERO television and abstain from the internets for a few days except to get better driving directions.

i have two questions:
1) Is there a live feed for the Open Cup match tonight? I'll assume no as the running excuse for the last couple years has been a lack of bandwidth?

2) How did the new signings fair in the match vs LA?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 21, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Seattle Times Joshua Myers Twitter...

Reports out of Uruguay indicate national team midfielder Alvaro Fernandez is headed to Seattle, I've got a call into the club to find out...

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 21, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

the DCU website has been streaming the USOC matches. Altho currently it is not listed on their website. But maybe they are just hoping to sell a few more tickets first.

Posted by: fedssocr | July 21, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

As I understand it they're going to try to get a live stream going at gametime, but they are not sure if they will be able to get it to work because of the bandwidth issues. This according to Kyle Sheldon.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | July 21, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

There's an Open Cup match tonight?

Posted by: Reignking | July 21, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Zizzo lottery in 2 minutes. I can hardly contain myself.

Posted by: delantero | July 21, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Are we going to get a live stream of the Zizzo lottery and the United press conference announcing his trade to the Galaxy for Clint Mathis?

Posted by: benonthehill | July 21, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

There's an Open Cup match tonight?

Posted by: Reignking | July 21, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

It's a mass tryout by the Harrisburg City Islanders for DCU.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 21, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah. Thanks for fischy for being the only one even acknowledging that this week...

Posted by: Reignking | July 21, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

MLS Power Rankings from SI.com:

Ugh!!!

D.C. United (3-11-3, 12 points)
Someone grab a calculator and figure out exactly when D.C. is mathematically eliminated from playoff contention. At this point, United would need about 30 points from 13 games. Anyone want to take that bet?

Posted by: delantero | July 21, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Who could that be?
Posted by: grubbsbl
===============

Sydney Leroux?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 21, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Goff's twitter says Chivas got Zizzo...

Posted by: StewartDC8 | July 21, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

So no NYRB or Gals, but MLS managed to place him back home in sunny SoCal.

Posted by: benonthehill | July 21, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse