Altidore and Gonzalez replace Marshall and Jones on the USA roster for Brazil friendly

A day after releasing the roster for next Tuesday's friendly against Brazil, the U.S. national team made two personnel changes: Omar Gonzalez will replace fellow center back Chad Marshall and forward Jozy Altidore will step in for midfielder Jermaine Jones.

After weekend matches for many players, the 18-man squad will begin gathering in New Jersey on Sunday and hold its only full training session Monday ahead of the match at the new Meadowlands stadium Tuesday (8 p.m. ET, ESPN2, Univision).

Jones, who missed last season with Bundesliga club Schalke because of a shin injury, initially accepted the U.S. invitation. However, he and his club didn't think that he would be fully fit for what would likely have been his U.S. debut. The USSF said that Jones will "remain with FC Schalke to prepare for his first competitive matches in more than a year."

"I would like to thank Bob Bradley and the U.S. federation greatly for my first official invitation," Jones said in a prepared statement. "It is an honor that I have been working towards for over a year, and while I initially felt like I was ready to make my first appearance, it is also extremely important to me that I am 100 percent fit for my first national team game and that I make a good impression on the manager and my teammates. I hope to receive another invitation and finally fulfill my goal of playing with the U.S. national team in the very near future."

The Americans are tentatively scheduled to play two friendlies in October.

Despite a sore knee, Marshall is playing regularly for the Crew, but with the MLS club heading into a nine-day break after tonight's match at Philadelphia, he apparently felt it was more important to rest next week.

More than 58,000 tickets have been sold for the USA-Brazil match.

By Steve Goff  |  August 5, 2010; 7:35 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , Brazil , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: USA-Brazil
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend TV listings: MLS, friendlies, Mexico
Next: Crew 2, Union 1: one for Le Toux, two for Lenhart

Comments

Don't want to jinx him or anything, but what's the over/under on Jones making it to the next friendly healthy?

Posted by: PEddy | August 5, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Darn. Maybe October 12th in Atlanta for his debut? I was excited to see him. Oh well, still gonna have a good time.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 5, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

bummer. was really looking forward to seeing him debut. classy statement, seems like he really is dedicated to playing with the USMNT. interested to see what Gonzalez can do.

Posted by: VTUnited | August 5, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

PPL Park looks AWESOME at night

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 5, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Fred blows a sitter. [Perkins blows routine saves.] That trade would be a push if United didn't give up McInerney.

Posted by: benonthehill | August 5, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

I think Jozy would be better off staying in Spain. Didn't he just arrive a few days ago?

Posted by: BooThisMan | August 5, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'm bewildered by Jozy getting called up.

Posted by: Reignking | August 5, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Agree that Jozy should stay with his team and try to win a starting spot. No point in seeing him so soon after what we saw what he can/can't do.

It will be a good chance for someone young and hungry like Steven Lenhart to be called. :-)

Posted by: Charisma_Man | August 5, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm not quite as upset about Jozy. He's going to be sold/loaned, so there's no real advantage to staying in Spain. He'll probably end up in Turkey, but two clubs are still bidding. Leaving is not the end of the world, and playing against young Brazilian talent is always a good thing.

But I'm biased, cuz I gots the tickets.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 5, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

I usually like ESPN's coverage, and tonight is no different, Taylor Twellman is doing very well, buuuuut, I wish they'd refer to the USA-Brazil game as a friendly instead of exhibition. Semantics, I know, just a thing of mine.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 5, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Did Chad Marshall really give up the chance to play against Brasil . . to rest for Columbus in MLS?

Wouldn't have been my choice . .

Posted by: delantero | August 5, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse

If Marshall had stayed on the roster, he may not have played at all, given his sore knee. If he did play and, because of the knee, was beaten for a goal, then we'd all say that he should never be called up again. I think he made the right choice.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 6, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse