Americans abroad, Wednesday edition

Midfielder Clint Dempsey capped Fulham's 6-0 victory over fourth-tier Port Vale in the English Carling Cup with a 70th-minute goal from beyond the penalty area. He had entered at the start of the second half. Forward Eddie Johnson was included on Fulham's game-day roster but did not play.

Goalkeeper Tim Howard sat in reserve as Everton routed third-division Huddersfield, 5-1.

In the Danish Cup, midfielder Benny Feilhaber played 90 minutes in second-division Aarhus' 1-0 victory at fourth-tier Odder.

In the Gamper Trophy match at Camp Nou, defender Oguchi Onyewu did not play for AC Milan during a penalty kick loss to FC Barcelona following a 1-1 draw. The La Liga and Serie A openers are this weekend.

By Steve Goff  |  August 25, 2010; 7:39 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: Americans abroad, Clint Dempsey
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United wins scrimmage, UNC atop ACC poll, Movsisyan in Denmark, Abby Wambach's future
Next: Video: Cruz Azul 5, Real Salt Lake 4

Comments

The reffing in the RSL CONCACAF game is an absolute travesty. I have never watched a sporting event when I was more convinced after 5 minutes that the refs were on the take.

I am a fan of the Champions League concept, but if US teams are just going to royally f'd in Mexico every single game, it seems pretty pointless.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 25, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^What he said.

MLS needs to pull out of this until they can get assurances they won't be treated as the Washington Generals....

Posted by: JkR- | August 25, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Haven't been able to watch so far, but maybe MLS sides can get their own favors in the States? Who's reffing in Seattle tonight?

Posted by: DadRyan | August 25, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

RSL game puts me in mind of the DC/Houston Open Cup game a few years ago that was ultimately postponed as unplayable.

Fortuitously I sat next to Graham Ramsey during that delay so now I know how the game is supposed to be played under these conditions.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 25, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

It looks like they made that "squegee" out of 2x4s at halftime. Good for RSL to be up 3-0, wait, I mean, 2-1, considering the refereeing.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 25, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

This reminds me of the South American u-20 final last year between Argentina and Brazil, where they'd play a ball over the top, and the goalie would have to stand there and wait for the attacker to come at him, because it would plop wherever it landed.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 25, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Cruz Azul on a deflection. RSL up 3-2 with 15 to go.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 25, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

3-3 in the 87th...

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 25, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Check that, 4-3 Cruz Azul, in the 88th.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 25, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

4-4!!!!!!!! Andy Johnson!!!

HOLY SMOKES!!!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 25, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

5-4 Azul!!!!!!! My goodness. I don't know what to think. 91st.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 25, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

That was the last kick, in the 93rd. Ref put the ball down for the kickoff, picked it back up, and blew the whistle.

I mean, I don't know what to think of what I just watched...

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 25, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

wow, what insanity

RSL went absolutely flat when Findley came on for Espindola.

That ref sucked. Two goal swing in the 1st 5 mins makes the difference in the game.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 25, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Loving the Machete advertising in the scoreline graphic on Telefutura. Were they showing that in the last game?
Looking forward to that movie BIG TIME!

Posted by: DadRyan | August 25, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

If anyone is watching the Seattle-Monterrey game, Telefutura is showing it live and their action is about 15 minutes ahead of what FSC is showing.

FSC is apparently showing the entire game from the start amd delayed the start because the earlier game in Mexico City ended late because of the rain delay.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 25, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

I've been watching Seattle bog. Nice of their fans to show up, too bad the team didn't. I've watched both games on Telefutura, and yes they did start the broadcast in progress. Somewhere around the 15th minute or so I'd guess.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 25, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse