Calling all D.C. United fans

In September, The Post will introduce a new reader-driven blog for fans, by fans, focused solely on Washington sports. To fill out our roster of fan bloggers, we're looking for one of our best, most diehard D.C. United fans to weigh in on whatever's happening in the world of United. While we'll ask all bloggers to occasionally weigh in on all Washington's pro teams, we're particularly interested in having an established D.C. United voice as part of the project.

We're not just looking for a regular fan, we're looking for a fan who lives and breathes the team, who is always scrambling for more information on Andy Najar, the record of other MLS teams who have been coached by their own former star and the player most likely to become the club's next Jaime Moreno.

Although the blog will not launch until September, you can get started right away by filling out this form.

By Mitch Rubin  |  August 19, 2010; 4:53 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA-Poland Set for Oct. 9
Next: Paul the Octopus changes sides, now in England camp

Comments

Chest Rockwell.

Posted by: Reignking | August 19, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I nominate Ronnie Raccoon for this position, as he shifts through a lot of trash in and around RFK on a daily basis.

Posted by: ImWithStupid | August 19, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I second King's nomination.

Posted by: Kosh2 | August 19, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

I third the nomination of Chest Rockwell. Here's his job application.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 19, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Everyone already on it.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 19, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Yah, Chest. If he turns it down, I can live with Ronnie. And I nominate The Powerboater69 for the Redskins blog.

Posted by: benonthehill | August 19, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Chest Rockwell. I used to think fischy but his rants have died down.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 19, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty good with paying people like Goff and Tenorio cash money to do the blogging, and leaving the "reader-driven" part of it to the comments section.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 19, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Ahhh OWNTF. You're such an old media person. The new media is all about user-uploaded content, facebooking, tweeting, re-tweeting, liking, and digging.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 19, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Should we hold out until Goff gets a contract extension?

Posted by: benonthehill | August 19, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | August 19, 2010 5:54 PM

************************
This. Oh, and Chest.

Posted by: JkR- | August 19, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Who is Chest Rockwell, really? What is his real name? Was he REALLY born in Hawaii? (Oh, wait, that's that other guy)

Posted by: b18bolo | August 19, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 19, 2010 6:04 PM

And by this you mean a media completely devoid of facts, truth, or journalistic integrity. Just raw unfiltered emotions and ideas. Nevertheless, your right. It is time to embrace the postmodern pluralism upon us. For we all know there are no truths; just competing realities.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 19, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

The United are my team! Count me in!

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | August 19, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Chest Rockwell is wordy and I don't have a long attention span...just saying.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 19, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Apparently the player's union (or some helpful elf) released the 2010 list of player's salaries:

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 19, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

so Shalrie Joseph and Taylor Twellman are DPs now?

Posted by: beergorila | August 19, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, that's what she said.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 19, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

So Mitch, why are you drafting only one soccer blogger but two for baseball? More people contribute to this blog than to the baseball one. And dare I say there are more soccer fans in the DC area than baseball fans.

Posted by: paulkp | August 19, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Chest!

Posted by: MattinSilverSpring | August 19, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Don't always agree with him, but I hafta jump aboard the "Draft Chest Rockwell" bandwagon.

Posted by: Ron16 | August 19, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't this call for authors be coming from the Baltimore Sun?

Wake me up when the Post is looking for a suds, buds, and bike rides blogger...;)

Posted by: DadRyan | August 19, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

So who is happy that Boskovic makes $516,000? Will he exceed the goal tally of our last DP Marcelo Gallardo, only time will tell.

Posted by: tcbannon | August 19, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 19, 2010 6:04 PM

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 19, 2010 6:24 PM |

Although grubbsbl is closer to reality, I think you both miss the main point. "Old" media can of course utilize these new mediums effectively; it is a safe wager that Facebook and Twitter increase exposure and profits for businesses more so than non-businesses. In that sense, what this new position comes down to is money. Why not have a part-timer paid a marginal or non-existent salary who works for "the love of the game" rather than a someone professional (read: "unaffordable") enhance your product? It's cost effective, and people don't seem to care that these individuals are untalented, uninformed, and wholly lacking in objectivity. Granted, we don't want unbiased reporting anymore. We usually tune into news outlets that already reflect and "report" in support of our prejudices.

Semi-relatedly, I made this point a couple days ago: if there is anyone who still has a strong interest in this team, good for them. They're either delusional or a total cynic. Either way, it should be amusing to read their thoughts.

Posted by: HWLongfellow | August 19, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

+ a gazillion for Chest.

Good win for the Freedom tonight. I'll have a story up on PSW in the morning.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | August 19, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Personally, i think the Post (and Goff specifically) does a great job of covering United/MLS. Adding fan views is great for those who want more depth in those areas, but I think if they were to add anything, I would prefer to add more coverage of soccer around the world. There's a context for US/MLS soccer in the wider world that could be explored in more depth. I understand the local/US bent to the coverage, but there's an audience out there for the big picture that one man just can't provide.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | August 19, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Nothing too shocking in the DC salaries. How Fred is making almost $300K is beyond me. Just wow. And I wouldn't have guessed Marquez is making Henry/Beckham money. Landon Donovan is seriously underpaid, making $2 million, when those guys are all pulling 5+.

Posted by: benonthehill | August 20, 2010 12:31 AM | Report abuse

I suppose I just don't get it. The comments section is where we, well, comment. Why would we need a separate blog to go do that? And Chest already has his own blog about United (for which I am grateful).

Ah well, when this new thing arrives, perhaps it will make sense then.

Posted by: troy6 | August 20, 2010 1:25 AM | Report abuse

Chest already has a place to post his material.

I'll vote for Kevin Payne. It seems he has a lot of free time on his hands and he has been traveling around watching some of the top leagues in the world. Unfortunately he really doesn’t seem to know that much about DC United but he knows the history and that we win trophies.

Alternatively I would like Jaime Moreno to blog about his son’s soccer games so we have a better idea of when he will be available to play for MLS.

Posted by: Southeasterner | August 20, 2010 2:22 AM | Report abuse

Interesting concept, two questions

Was the World Cup fan blog a test run for this new blog?

Just to be clear, you are looking for only one fan per sport, right? You are not open to multiple fans per sport. So it is a heavy commitment from one person?

Posted by: DCUSince96 | August 20, 2010 6:21 AM | Report abuse

Although grubbsbl is closer to reality, I think you both miss the main point.
Posted by: HWLongfellow
==========

No HenryWadsworthL, I get the point. But I thought it was too dry and unexciting, so I went with poking fun at OWNTF and new media. I figure grubbsbi did the same.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 20, 2010 7:13 AM | Report abuse

Good second half for Freedom. First half not so much. If Chicago doesn't lose two players to injury........

Posted by: footballfan9 | August 20, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

WhoooHoooo!!!! Great Win for the FREEDOM last night,with a really strong 2nd half. We are on our way to the playoffs!! GO FREEDOM!!

Posted by: 10bestfan | August 20, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Chest but he already authors www.blackandredunited.com FYI-His write up of the CCL this week is unbelieveable.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | August 20, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

All for Ronnie Racoon - but FYI - We started unitedania.com in 1998 - yea, that's right - 1998; I'm not applying, but the two other Donkeys on my team surely will. WOUld be interesting to see Mike's ramblings n the post...

Posted by: frescova | August 20, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse