D.C. United fires Coach Curt Onalfo

D.C. United has fired Curt Onalfo as its head coach in his first season and replaced him on an interim basis with assistant Ben Olsen.

United is 3-12-3 with an MLS-worst 12 points.

"I am extremely disappointed," Onalfo told the Insider. "It takes a long time to build something, and having had eight short months, it was a limited amount of time, but I understand the profession. This is what I signed up for. I wish nothing but the best for the organization."

Onalfo took the fall in a rebuilding year that started poorly, seemed to gain traction, and amid numerous injuries, took another downturn. It's the first time in the club's 14-year history that United has dismissed a head coach during the season.

No one would comment on Onalfo's contractual situation, but I am under the impression that he had a three-year, guaranteed deal valued at $300,000 annually, which means the club will continue to pay him for the next two seasons.

One source, sympathetic to Onalfo's situation, said that Onalfo "walked into a train wreck and now [United] is panicking."

For more details......

Said Olsen, who retired as a player this past winter: "It is with mixed emotions that I accept this position. Curt is a great friend and coach from whom I've learned a great deal."

Assistant Kris Kelderman, a former United player who has assisted Onalfo in Kansas City and Washington, will remain on the coaching staff. Longtime goalkeepers coach Mark Simpson will also keep his job.

"This was a difficult and painful decision," Payne said. "Curt is an outstanding person and a fine coach. This has certainly been a trying season, made more so by a number of factors outside of anyone's control. This decision is not about placing blame, but about looking forward. Recent performances have convinced us that we need to make a change at the top for the team to improve the remainder of this season, for 2011 and beyond."

By Steve Goff  |  August 4, 2010; 9:22 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United  | Tags: D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Clint Mathis' retirement is official
Next: Poll: Did Curt Onalfo deserve to be fired by D.C. United?

Comments

HOLY CRAP! Can Kasper fire himself next?

Posted by: fedssocr | August 4, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Holy Snikies! Panicking is right. I think any coach would have had a hard time this year given the personnel. That said, many of us were saying that Onalfo wasn't what the team needed. Hope he lands on his feet.

Posted by: nairbsod | August 4, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Oh snap... That woke me up...

Not sure what I think about this, but it was clear that the team was under performing with the talent they had on the pitch.

Posted by: rademaar | August 4, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

"Onalfo said he was told of his dismissal by team president Kevin Payne and General Manager Dave Kasper late Tuesday afternoon."

So who is gonna break the news when it's their turn?

CO has a point that this team wasn't built to won, but they were hardly prepared to compete from week to week either.

Best of luck to Curt and especially Benny, whom I don't envy right now. Let's hope he shows some shades of Richie and can at least get this team playing some decent football, win or lose. That's step one.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 4, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

First! (I think)

hmm, more of KP's inability to admit his Snyder-esque micromanaging of player issues is causing our troubles.

Believe it or not, Kasper could do quite well if KP would focus on the administration of the club and league and let the technical staff do what they do.

Posted by: Section107 | August 4, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Scapegoat.

Posted by: Reignking | August 4, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Yikes!

There is a lot wrong with DCU right now, but Onalfo just became the scapegoat.

Posted by: invncbl | August 4, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I don't know how much of this is Onalfo's fault, but it was a change that had to be made. I'm excited to see what Benny Olsen can do.

Posted by: jake77 | August 4, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I love the choice but I hope we don't have to eventually fire Olsen.

I remember the Orioles promoted 3rd base coach Cal Ripkin Sr to manager after decades of service to the team...fair enough.

Next season the O's started out losing the 1st 18 (or so) games of the year and had to fire him...again, fair enough.

In hindsight, it would be better to have left Ripkin at 3rd.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 4, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Hire Bradley!

Posted by: Reignking | August 4, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Ripken, dude. Ripken.

Posted by: Reignking | August 4, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

VAMOS United...VAMOS Olsen!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 4, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

If Benny does anything, I hope he puts some fight into this team.

At this point, I don't care if United plays beautiful soccer. I want them to be feared by every team for playing all-out, in-your-face, never-say-die soccer. Just the way Benny played it.

Player: "Coach, I can't go today. I twinged my hammy."

Benny: "Get on the *^&%$(# field before I rip off your &*)@*#& head and puke down your neck!"

Player: "Coach, I think my leg is better now."

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | August 4, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Vamos Benny!
Don't envy his job at the moment, but another Open Cup trophy would be fine with me!

Posted by: DadRyan | August 4, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Scapegoat. Poor Onalfo. Things have taken a turn for the worst I'm afraid. We are all grasping that Benny can pull these guys together. I hope this turns out well.

Posted by: wanker82 | August 4, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Just had a flashback to the "Draft Chest" movement. Lol. Where is he, did he kill himself?

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 4, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Can't say that i didn't see this coming. Didn't like it when it was 1st announced that he'll be our coach...and seeing how the team has played this season....it's pretty bad but the blame is on Payne and Kasper, they're doing this to cover their mistakes...Honestly no coaches can win with the personnel that's on the field of play. I do like Benny and wish him well, win a few games and who knows maybe he'll be our coach next year. while I'm at it can we please get a legit stadium? IN DC..not VA or MD

Posted by: ttn703 | August 4, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

the circus continues. while I was not a big fan on Onalfo, I think we don't know enough about him to make a final decision on his coaching ability. I know he was mediocre in KC. Here, he had absolutely nothing in the cupboard. I wish him luck.

As for Benny, this doesn't bode well for him. This team/franchise is a train wreck, and it is going to get worse before it gets better.

Posted by: torrey151 | August 4, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Kasper should be fired!!! You need to get better players! Curt was the scapegoat!!!

Posted by: Bigmon411 | August 4, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Just like Bob Bradley was pilloried for pulling a player in the first half of a WC match, basically admitting he screwed up there, Kevin Payne should be roasted for firing a coach in the same year he hired the same coach.

Onalfo may not have been the best choice, but he deserved better than this. Oh wait, he is going to still collect $600 K doing nothing for the next two years. Maybe he's relishing this turn of events ...

Why does Kevin Payne have lifetime job security with DC United? What has he really done since the late 1990's?

Posted by: jofij | August 4, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

And most of what he did have was injured.

Posted by: Reignking | August 4, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Wow...I guess the front office was sick of it all and decided to pass the buck. Hmmm, that reminds me of something...

Posted by: edgeonyou | August 4, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

BOOOO DC UNITED!!!! How is any of this year's debacle Onalfo's fault? The guy was handed the crappiest roster of any MLS team. Bruce Arena would not have been able to do anything with this group of dregs! Sorry Coach Onalfo, you got a raw deal!

Posted by: alan19 | August 4, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I nearly spit out my coffee when I opened up SI this morning. I feel quite badly for CO, though 900K for doing nothing doesn't hurt, as this was not his fault. He didn't bring in Castillo, Alsopp, and Pena, thd DK/KP did. Anyway, the timing of this makes me think the club has their eyes on a big fish, like Bob Bradley.

Posted by: VTUnited | August 4, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

It was the wrong from the get go. Add that, with some horrible personnel decisions, and you see why United is languishing at the bottom. If you look back at the past couple of seasons, the front office has made some ridiculous moves, such as letting Nick Rimnado, Brian Carroll, Ryan Nielsen go, plus the horrible trade this past offseason to get Troy Perkins. The teams defense has been ignored for way too long. What to do you except when you insert journeymen and has-beens on our backline. United continues to ignore the draft, and not target the type of players that made the team what it once was. If I was Kevin Payne, and I was serious about winning, my first choice DP would not have been Brako whatever sic, I would offered Adriano 5 million a year to do what he does, score goals, I would have used another DP to get Veron back here, and then use the last DP to get an Ashley Cole type LB. The team clearly lacks speed, and suffers from brain farts way too often througout the game. I always stated that United should have gone after a foreign coach like Jose Perkerman, but they didn't. United's front office is lazy and they are not doing their homework. Just look at the squads they have assembled the past seasons as proof of their laziness.

Posted by: RedskinAddict | August 4, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

At the very least, this will make the rest of the season interesting. We weren't goign to make the playoff anyway, and I think pretty much everyone knew that Onalfo was not what we needed.

So Benny gets a shot to run the team for a while, maybe win an Open Cup title, and the team can look for a more long term solution in the interim.

This situation at least gives us something new to talk about, and makes the meaningless (for us) MLS games far more interesting now.

Posted by: isaac101 | August 4, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Wow, where's all this Onalfo love been hiding?

You can't fire 23 players all at once. Shaking up the front office doesn't usually have any impact on the field, so coaches get sent off on their bikes. For which they are compensated. That's pretty much how it works in this and other sports, IMHO.

Posted by: JkR- | August 4, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Ripken, dude. Ripken.

Posted by: Reignking

My bad...RipCAN!!! ;)

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 4, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Well then.

Bradley?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 4, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

This has to "trickle up" - the ax must swing through the front office as well! And then let's get Bradley.

Posted by: soccerman | August 4, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Ripken, dude. Ripken.

Posted by: Reignking

My bad...RipCAN!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 4, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I wish I knew who this "source" might be. Since it's anonymous, possibly be a club staffer or insider, which is a bit scary.

One thing I like about Benny's ascension is he pre-dates the Kasper regime, really the only available coaching candidate on earth who could claim that, and may be less likely to tolerate K's micromanagement.

Benny: take Jason Kreis out to dinner. I'll pay.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 4, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

"I understand fans. They want to blame somebody, they want it to be somebody's fault, and sometimes it is. But when you are in this position, it is a little self-indulgent to just say, 'Okay, we are going to blame him and he's going to take the fall for it and then everything is going to be fine.' What we are more worried about is trying to fix things right now."

lol, just kidding, it was actually onalfo's fault all along!

Posted by: stairs | August 4, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Shocked at this. Way to pass the buck and throw Olsen into the fire. Best of luck to you Onalfo. I wanted change in the F.O. first. We're all part on Benny's Army.

Posted by: decoi | August 4, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

The dude from Akron looks smarter and smarter every day . . . .

I'm looking for at least 10% full on this one, and can't find it. This "organization" is a complete joke.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 4, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

The front office has rolled the dice. If the team improves under Ben, then the firing of Onalfo is vindicated. If it doesn't, the FO is fully exposed as incompetent in its roster decisions.

Best wishes to Ben and to Curt, who should be laughing all the way to the bank. It's a shame. The money could have bankrolled a DP defender.

Posted by: runningcloud | August 4, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Rebuilding year or not, the play and stats are miserable. Curt knew it, and he knew he wouldn't last. If not now, certainly at the end of the season. I'm surprised though he got three year guaranteed salary. That's poor management.

Posted by: cpwdc | August 4, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

RedskinAddict,

You're absolutely correct that the rest of the league has passed by DCU, outmaneuvering them at every turn on and off the field. Which is tragic.

Everything else you said is utterly preposterous.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 4, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Where's lgm? Ron16? MastadonJuan?

Posted by: Reignking | August 4, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Nice one, stairs!

Another KP Klassic:

""If you look at the history of the league, the percentage on foreign players is probably well below 50 percent."

Dude, take your OWN moves out of that equation, and it's probably 80%. No one else looks to the US Third Division for their foreign talent.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 4, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I am not one of those who considers Bob Bradley an idiot, therefore I can't imagine that he would accept the job even if it were offered.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 4, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

So now relieve Kasper and hire Bradley as GM.

Posted by: seahawkdad | August 4, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Gotta love Payne's comment: "Recent performances have convinced us that we need to make a change at the top for the team to improve the remainder of this season, for 2011 and beyond."

KP, the "top" of a sports organization is not the coach. It's the front office. You're an integral part of DCU's "top."

Posted by: runningcloud | August 4, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Good luck to you Benny! KP and DK, the clock is ticking and Chang is holding the watch.

Posted by: uswcchamps | August 4, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Interesting to say the least. I feel like one of two things are going on.
1. The FO has a replacement in mind that is available right now and they can't afford to wait (Bob Bradley isn't THAT far of a stretch)

2. They want to see if Benny can do the job. If the team is already struggling, you may as well let Olsen get his feet wet.

Posted by: PeteO1 | August 4, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bigmon411
========================================

I agree. The FO is responsible for identifying and signing players. Onalfo is only responsible for coaching and getting results. If you have been following DC, you see that we simply do not have quality/depth to compete against the others. The coach can only do so much week in, week out with the players he has.

This is a problem that goes back before Facundo Erpen was signed; remember FO kept saying we were going to get a defender, etc at the start of the season some years ago, and they hesitated and didn't take the CONCACAF tourney seriously and got our ass beat 5-0 in Mexico City by Pumas.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | August 4, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

tailspin . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | August 4, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Kevin Payne. Gives new meaning to the term "The Special One".

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 4, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Wow. My five year old daughter was saying "DC should FIRE the coach because they are always losing!"

She's five, people. From her booster seat in the back of the car, she listens to a lot of sports radio when we are rolling around to and fro. All she understands is that when a team doesn't perform, the coach gets the blame. That a coach is hired to win and fired when he loses.

I exopect the DCU FO to be a bit more sophisticated than my five year old daughter.

KP & DK are more to blame than a guy who has had 8 months on the job. This current roster was built wrong (like last year's model).

I'm not saying that Onalfo is a great coach or even a good coach; I'm just saying that Titanic United ship was already sinking before he ever made it to the bridge.

I say that he deserved more time. But hey, that's just my meaningless take.

Posted by: yankiboy | August 4, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Scapegoat.

Posted by: dsheon1 | August 4, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

The folks mentioning Bradley are on to something. Everybody knows that Onalfo was not DC's first-choice manager and that he can't be blamed for DC's horrific roster (well, aside from Morsink & Cristman). It makes no sense to dump Onalfo now, unless the front office has a plan (for once!) to bring in a highly regarded replacement--a guy like Bradley, who only recently became available. To me, this firing says not that Onalfo disappointed, but that they never wanted him. Says a lot about this season, doesn't it?

Olsen better not get comfortable in the captain's chair, though I hope DC keeps him forever.

Posted by: hungrypug | August 4, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: runningcloud | August 4, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Exactly!

Posted by: jermWV | August 4, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

KP is the wrong executive. DK is the wrong technical director. Onalfo was the wrong coach. And many of our players are the wrong players. *All* of these things are problems, not just Onalfo. But KP and DK aren't likely to fire themselves, and you can't replace 40% of a roster in mid-season. So although losing Onalfo alone isn't going to solve this team's problems, it's pretty much the only change that was possible *right now*.

This team has won 1/6 of it's games, and lost 2/3. No coach survives those numbers.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | August 4, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

And you wonder why the coach from Akron passed.

Posted by: Reignking | August 4, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Argh! I just made the its --> it's error. Someone shoot me.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | August 4, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Bradley is too good for this job. I hope he holds out until some bum in the EPL is fired and they need to try something new.

Posted by: Reignking | August 4, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Kasper, Payne and rest of the staff need to all go. Curt is the newest and thus the least responible for this terrible situation that is DCU. Now we take an inexperienced coach into the lion's den and feed him to the rest of the league. Everyone's roster is better than DCU that is ALL Payne & Kasper and they MUST GO NOW!

Posted by: euroman | August 4, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Thirty-sixth! (I think).

I didn't see this coming. If Chang had any money to put in the team, I might wonder if they're aiming at some big name coaches and had to move before the Euro seasons start up. As it is, I'm just not sure what a coaching change can do. The real problem is the poor player pool.

New York is bringing in multiple players with Barcelona on their resume. Seattle brings in a real talent like Alvaro Fernandez. Chicago adds two well-known DPs. Even Columbus seems to be able to bring in a Peruvian international who has played UEFA Champions League football (even scored a goal against AC Milan) and was one of the top goal-scorers in Mexico 2 years ago.

The rest of the league is really doing a pretty good job in scouting and bringing in decent talent. What is United doing? Getting lost in the dust, and counting their blessings that there is no relegation system here.

Posted by: fischy | August 4, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

By no means does he have the full share of the blame, but this is totally justified. He was an awful tactician (we could make a long list) as illustrated by his mind boggling game management and in-game personnel decisions (not too mention his early judgements on talent and positioning). He may be a great guy, but he was a very poor coach.

Posted by: scottsalmon | August 4, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Well Curt, thank you for your service.

It was a terrible situation you and the club got into. You weren't their first choice. You weren't even probably the second choice.

While the argument can be made that it DOES indeed take more than 8 months to tackle a situation that has been screaming for an overhaul for the last 3 years - something else changed and 3rd choice wasn't good enough anymore.

What does this all mean? Well, Mr. Kasper is probably next in line for the axe if it falls again.

Is Jamie retiring? Player-coach?

Is Bob Bradley available?

Is someone else available?

Is Adrian Fenty taking the manager's position?

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | August 4, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

"a guy like Bradley, who only recently became available."

He's not available.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 4, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

This is not a good team, and you have to be on acid to think that this team is lacking tactical acumen. Many of the players on this team need a coach to take them back to soccer camp for basic skills. Pinning the skill deficit on Onalfo is bad form.

Injuries are an excuse. Talk to Steve Nicol about injuries. New England is consistently hamstrung (no pun intended) by injuries. AND they didn't have Shalrie Joseph for a good portion of the season. They're still superior.

It's a debate between a lack of talent on the roster and a lack of tactics on gameday. The message boards of this blog have been on fire since December about the dearth of talent on the squad. It looks like we're right. Too bad for CO. And too bad for us.

Posted by: DWE4 | August 4, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Bring back Tommy!

Posted by: zackvanderhoof | August 4, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

This is an amateur move. Not that Onalfo is the answer, but at least the players were making the effort and playing harder than they did for Soehn last season. At least wait until the offseason -- it's not like the playoffs are a possibility.

Onalfo had very little to work with all year and now he's the guy who takes the fall. If I were Benny I'd run from this promotion.

Posted by: RIP-21 | August 4, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

This is unbelievable. Curt did what he could with a team largely molded by Kasper. It is amazing that Kasper emerges from this with the perception that his hands are clean. He must have the negatives of KP or Will or something that gives him impunity.

Once again, DCU has managed to make Soehn look smart. And the Akron coach. Both made tough but now totally vindated decisions by walking away from DCU.

Posted by: mightymax | August 4, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Why not make Bob Bradley an offer? He knows players and how to coach.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | August 4, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Payne said. "Curt is an outstanding person and a fine coach."

If he's a fine coach, then why did you fire him, Kevin?

Onalfo did the best he could with the talent and injuries.

KLINSMANN!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 4, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

WHAT?!? Yoicks. Maybe it really is time for Payne to go, too, and get some fresh blood in the front office....

Posted by: Juan-John1 | August 4, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

The Bradley scenario, probably implausible, is intriguing. Make him coach, GM and president. It would begin solving DCU's problems overnight.

charisma_man wrote: "So this year again, we wait until transfer window opens mid-year, etc...the same excuses year in year out. You would think the FO has learned something over the past few years of getting decent players in before the season starts, and not half-way through the season, when you are too deep in the hole already."

The MLS off-season is peak season most everywhere else. Players elsewhere are still under contract in the winter and frequently command bigger transfer fees than during the summer market.

I can't remember the last time MLS paid the type of transfer fee required for a decent player in the winter market -- or even in the summer market. It gets free transfers like Henry and Marquez in the summer market after their contracts have expired or they have reached the career point where their club is willing to unload them cheap. MLS is a selling league like the Netherlands and Belgium. It is not a buying league like England and the other top tiers. It is not built for the winter market. It dines on aging big-name scraps and younger leftovers, many of whom can survive and even prosper in the lower level of MLS play.

Posted by: runningcloud | August 4, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I think we need some more 5'1" smurfs from south american 2nd and 3rd divisions. Ooooooooh, we are sooooooo clever with these "diamond in the rough" pick-ups like these. These idiots act all secretive with everything in terms of scouting and what-not and then come up with guys like good old Cristian Castillo. Watching these other teams make awesome acquisitions is just depressing.

Thank God there's no relegation system.

Posted by: SadieV | August 4, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 4, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

=========================================

He contributes to a DCU web site and his comments can be frequently found there.

www.blackandredunited.com

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | August 4, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I'm surprised by the move. Instead of firing themselves, Payne did the only other thing he could do...

It seems Will Chang continues to be wooed by Payne & Co.

Posted by: redskinsux | August 4, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Time to look overseas for an experienced manager who knows how to build a winner.

Posted by: onenetnut | August 4, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Sven-Goran Eriksson just recently became available ;-)

Posted by: PeteO1 | August 4, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Onalfo didn't do well in KC, now DC. Why do people confuse a good guy for a good coach? Too many defensive/mental breakdowns, not enough motivation, too many game management mistakes. Good riddance.

Bradley's a long shot. What about Cirovski from Maryland? He might be itching for a change.

Posted by: p6brt | August 4, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I've gone back and forth on Curt. Before Onalfo was hired I said "Please no Onalfo". But once he was hired, I supported him, if for no other reason he was our coach. Then once the team flatlined the first part of the season, going 0-7 or whatever it was, I said he had to go, knowing that though the team was awful, I couldn't stomach the fact that the team had no fight.

After the dreadful start, even though the team was bad with little prospect for significant improvement and no hope for the playoffs, they got a couple results, developed some fight, and had a bright spot or two (e.g., Najar). So I felt why not give Onalfo at least till the end of the season.

Just looking at the coaching situation apart from the FO situation, the bottom line is Onalfo wasn't ready. He may just not be professional head coach material.

Ben Olsen, on the other hand, *may* be coach material but I still don't think he is ready. And, Ben Olsen is not going to get blood out of this turnip -- with these players were are not going to win more than a couple games the rest of the way. But if he can put some fire in the belly of this team, get them to play hard and smart without turning us into a bunch of fouling-hack Geoff Aungers, then maybe he'll work out.

Posted by: Ron16 | August 4, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

"The dude from Akron looks smarter and smarter every day . . ."
-OWNTF

I am so slow that my Baltimore self didn't think that you were talking about LeBron James and not the Zips' coach.

We are a bit intellectually challenged in Baltimore...At least one of us is...

Posted by: yankiboy | August 4, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Wow. I love Benny Olsen but I'd very surprised if he had any more success than Onalfo. He knows the game but knowing how to coach and motivate are completely different. Shocking that they would do this now without having a new coach locked down.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | August 4, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

yankiboy's daughter for GM!!! I thought they would have given Curt a full season. I was never a big fan of his but this is a little too short a rope. Has John Spencer been announced for Portland yet? If not, hire him

Posted by: owendylan | August 4, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Another vote for scapegoat.

I don't get the sentiment of some here. It is well known that this club has no revenue and is losing a tremendous amount of money. Further, it is also common knowledge that this will not get resolved unless other owners come on board or DCU finally gets their new stadium. Yet many of you are wondering why they aren't in the market for a high dollar DP. It's common sense. The money isn't there.

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | August 4, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

If all top coaching candidates are not available there is one guy I would seriously consider bringing back to MLS... Puerto Rico Islander's Colin Clark. He has done a PHENOM job as their coach when playing important matches. I think he should be brought back into the MLS fold personally. DCU could do worse and already has.

Posted by: elfelixg | August 4, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

They fired the wrong guy. Kasper should have gone. He's given Onalfo the duds that can't score any goals or play any defense.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | August 4, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

speculate about what was in this quote originally, before being readacted with "[United]":

" Onalfowalked into a train wreck and now [United] is panicking."

Payne? Kasper? I am guess Kelderman is the source of that quote?

Posted by: joe_hill | August 4, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

"Onalfo walked into a train wreck and now [United] is panicking."

Payne? Kasper? I am guess Kelderman is the source of that quote?

Posted by: joe_hill | August 4, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Finally, Benny doesn't have to watch from the Press Box.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | August 4, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Even if Bradley came available, why in the hell would he take this job? Incompetent front office, a hodgepodge of mediocre players with a couple of bright spots mixed in, and a franchise that is embarrassingly falling from grace to the depths of being the worst franchise by way of experiencing the worst season in league history.

We don't have the money to buy players, and now we have to pay Onalfo to do nothing for three years. So what money will be there to tempt a new coach to take over control of this debacle?

Remind me what part of this would be attractive to Bradley?

Best of luck, Benny. We're all pulling for you. No idea how you'll get it done, but we hope you do.

Posted by: jpeace121 | August 4, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I wonder what the "train wreck is". Could there be worse things behind the curtain than the poor assemblage of players and a lack of a stadium vision?

Posted by: mbyrd28 | August 4, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I love the choice but I hope we don't have to eventually fire Olsen.
In hindsight, it would be better to have left Ripkin at 3rd.

---------------------------
Actually Ripken lost the first 6 & was fired. Frank Robinson was hired & lost the next 15 (0-21). I doubt Ben gets that long of a leash.

Posted by: btwigg | August 4, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Moving Benny into the position temporarily is more like Ritchie being NYRB's temp coach than Crist being RSL's coach - ie probably won't last past this season. That said, there's never been a better time to get Ritchie back, right?

The real issue is that we've already blown our chances for the summer international window. Anyone who might have been on the radar will balk now. Plus, no one brought in this season has had any real success, and that may be partially Curt's coaching, but I think of the personnel right now, there's only maybe 5 or 6 folks who should be on the roster next year (Partyboy, Nejar, Jacovic, Hamid, Simms, Wallace).

The best move right now is to concider the next 18 months demolition season and build things from the ground up. We should have cap room out the wazoo by years end, so let's build a core out of USL players and then use the Designated spot a bit more wisely.

Posted by: M__N | August 4, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------------

Could this "Sympathetic Source" be Benny Olsen?

Posted by: timmy6 | August 4, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

It's astounding to me that Kasper looks as if his fingerprints aren't on this crime scene.

We can talk about Bradley or Sasho all we want - the latter is probably on DCU list due to Kasper's way of thinking - but the real question is, who would want to come into this mess?

Like roaches after the mushroom cloud, Kasper has proven to be a survivor and likely just as powerful and influential, so do we really think Bob or Sasho has an interest in coming to a situation in which Kasper is still running the show?

As long as he is around, DCU's choices exist on a level with the likes of Richie Williams, or an MLS retread like Clavijo or Zambrano.

For the sake of DCU's future, I hope the other shoe drops.

Posted by: lgm6986 | August 4, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Lots to say here:

1. Onalfo was dealt a bad hand. He had very little to do with creating this team. Kasper and to some extent Payne are culpable as well.

2. I don't think people get how much the stadium business distracts an organization. I bet Payne is spending a huge chunk of every day dealing with possible stadium/politics/research/study issues. That's not an excuse. It's just like saying...imagine a team President who puts in a 4-5 hour day. Well, when Payne spends the past 2-3 years looking at options and romancing politicians and driving studies and talking to people, that's the effect it has in a small organization. This isn't the Redskins where you delegate a VP and 5 staffers to deal with that issue.

3. I do think the firing was justified. I don't think we had the talent to be a good club this year. But I do think there was a while when we turned the corner, were playing better soccer and then fell off the table again. The league start after the WC--we've just not been competitive. We were probably never a playoff team this year. But right now with Onalfo we're the worst team in MLS and maybe the worst team ever in terms of points and W-L. And for a team with a lot of MLS veterans and an MLS veteran staff, that's inexcuseable. I don't hold Onalfo accountable for us being out of the playoffs. But we should have about 5-7 more goals and probably 2 more wins right now. So the firing is justified. I'm not saying Onafo is to blame for this season or bears the primary blame only that he's culpable.

4. Here is what I think drove this decision (b/c it's obviously not in Payne's MO who likes to give a floundering coach a whole season). It's one of two factors--either:
(a) Chang said "I've been with this team 3 years and we've been out of the playoffs all 3 years--it's time for heads to roll. Who's it going to be?" And Onalfo was the first candidate (with probably more to follow in the offseason). Or....
(b) Payne is looking at Bob Bradley. He's no longer a candidate at Fulham. Steve Davis wrote over a month ago that he believes that Bradley won't be retained as NT coach. Gulati has a fascination with Klinsman. Plus, while I'm not a BB hater and I feel he did a lot of good things, I'm also fine with him not being retained. I think he spoke after the WC about how this group has more time and going into WC 2014 with a lot of these same players will make us the oldest team in the WC (see US WC 2006 to see how that played out) and his commitment to a 442 is probably going to limit us in the future. So effectively this clears the deck for us to hire Bob Bradley if he's cut loose in August after the Brazil match (which is what I expect to see happen). And frankly, Payne is pretty wired into USSF circles--so I think he has heard if feelers have been extended to Klinsi or if Gulati has been jetting around to the West Coast or certain places in Europe for private chats.

I think it's one of those two scenarios above.

Posted by: JoeW1 | August 4, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Bradley to DCU and Klinsmann to the USMNT? I'd be OK with that.

Posted by: PeteO1 | August 4, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

What is wrong with Will Chang the majority owner. Can't he see that this club in the early 2000 have been sliding. Look at all the "foreign" players they have brought in and how many are still with the club and made a difference. The last player was Christian Gomez and they got rid of him. Mr. Chang needs to step in and clean house from top to bottom. Bring in a Business type President and a technical director that knows soccer. Keep the two responsibilities separate and as the majority owner manage the operation. Get away from this old boy network and hire a coach that knows soccer, played at the highest level, and understand players chemistry for a "team" approach and not the "I" super star factor.

Posted by: galaxies42 | August 4, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

@timmy6, I thought the same thing.

RUMOR: Raymond Domenech seen house-shopping in Bethesda.

Posted by: benonthehill | August 4, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Although I am one of DCU's earliest season ticket holders, I am through with DCU until they get rid of Kevin Payne and Dave Kasper. The problem is not the coach, it is the players and the front office people who selected them. I understand that DC's ownership situation plays a role as well and DC does not have the same money relative to the rest of the league to bring in legitimate designated players, or a soccer specific stadium so the team can make a profit and have the money to get quality players. These problems, however, are the problems that Payne and Kasper are supposed to manage, and they have not been managing them well. These same issues do not prohibit other teams from fielding competitive teams. DCU has been steadily heading downhill relative to the rest of the league since Bruce Arena left. When the league started, DCU had the best facilities (Redskins Park as a practice facility and no teams had soccer specific stadiums), the best coaching staff (Bradley as an assistant), and eventually the best talent on the field, which I attribute to Arena's eye for talent. They made ridiculous trades with other teams (e.g. Rammel for Wegerle, Wegerle for Lassiter), and made great draft choices (e.g. Olsen and Pope) because of this eye for talent. Since Arena left, however, the trades and draft choices have been hit-and-miss at best, and probably mostly miss. This is the root of the team's long-term problems and will not be fixed by firing the coach. In addition, the facilities have declined and we all know about the stadium situation.

If I am DC's owner, the questions I am asking myself are: (1) Who is responsible for the team's failure to secure a soccer-specific stadium for ten (?) years?; and (2) Who is responsible for compiling this roster? Whoever those people are should be the one's to go. As a fan, I have grown tired of listening to Kevin Payne's excuses about the inability to get any headway on a stadium, injuries to key players, and how hard it is to identify and sign players who can compete in MLS. Are you kidding me? Who else gets to say that they are so poor at their job that making decisions is a crap shoot and still keep the job? If it is that hard, maybe you are in the wrong job. For me, scapegoating Onalfo is the last straw; I cannot watch the current front office make DCU a joke any longer and blame it on things "outside of their control."

Posted by: CruyffFan | August 4, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

It might be news to a lot of people posting here, but you can win with players that are not the best. It's a sport where organization and approach really matter. Algeria tied England. Puerto Rico thrashed the Galaxy. Slovenia qualified for the World Cup and almost made the second round. Did those teams succeed because of the caliber of players? I think not. It's because they had coaches that had their teams playing as a unit, playing smart, bringing out their strengths, covering their weaknesses, and above all believing in the game plan. That's what good coaches do, and that's what we need, it makes the individual players look so much better. Here's hoping we can find the right person.

Posted by: adamsmorgan | August 4, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

KP:

"This decision is not about placing blame, but about looking forward."

"The first priority in appointing an interim coach was ensuring that he would understand the passion, pride and commitment expected from every player who wears a D.C. United uniform.”

Even as he purports to look to the future, he still looks back.

Posted by: lgm6986 | August 4, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: adamsmorgan | August 4, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Darryl Shore to finish out the season!

Crystal Palace Baltimore is playing Miami FC this afternoon. Miami's coach is a long time assistant, under a few different coaches, for the Chicago Fire but was let go this season by Carlos de los Cobos

The FO should head to the Soccerplex and talk to Darryl Shore about a coaching position.

Posted by: timmy6 | August 4, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 4, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

=========================================

www.blackandredunited.com

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | August 4, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

=========================================

Is that a "no"?

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 4, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Another vote for scapegoat.

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue

yeah, cause nothing says "the money isn't there" like eating a $900K coaching contract. there was no high dollar DP because...there was no high dollar DP who wanted to come here. its that simple. I'm happy the club went out and got a (presumably) affordable DP like Branco, rather than making a splash for the sake of making a splash.

Posted by: VTUnited | August 4, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I'm so freaking relieved that we don't have that timid, whining hack as coach anymore. Even if the Front office = the real issue, Ben has been on struggling teams before, and has been a lightening rod. If nothing else, he should at least teach these people how to roar.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 4, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I agree that Onalfo was not helped by the lackluster performances by the players that we and he are depending on.

The failure that's Onalfo's however is that the team looks directionless. If Curt cannot put 11 guys on the field that look like they've got a common purpose, he has to stand aside and make way for someone who can.

There are some terrible teams in the MLS but they have players that are not nearly the quality of ours. When Onalfo time and time again sends out Santino to pull the strings despite his unsuitablity to that role, Onalfo has to be held responsible. When Onalfo holds faith with a keeper who has as bad a case of the sucks as Troy is struggling with, Onalfo has to be held responsible. And finally, when Onalfo chooses to hold faith in Moreno despite every visible sign that that he's desperately past it, Onalfo has to be held responsible.

I expect Ben to at least send out 11 players with a common purpose. And when he does, we can end the season fighting rather than the abject whimpering that we have been doing.

Posted by: gooner71 | August 4, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Good luck Ben -- you were always a great player for D.C. United.

Posted by: andrewgerst@hotmail.com | August 4, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

@ AdamsMorgan - you are correct - a soccer team CAN win without superior talent through organization and work ethic. In order to do that in club soccer (rather than the International teams you used as examples), however, you still need quality players and you really need to have the players play together for a longer period of time, particularly in the back. In DCU's case, they asked Onalfo to change DCU's system with nearly an entirely new roster, many of whom are very young, while most of the rest of the teams in the league have maintained continuity both in their style of play and personnel. The question is not whether DCU could have won some more games. Of course they could have with all of the intangibles that go into a soccer game. The question is whether the coaching was so poor that it required a dismissal. Unless Sir Alex Ferguson is on his way to DC to talk to Payne about replacing Onalfo, I don't see it as a good decision.

Posted by: CruyffFan | August 4, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Too bad it didn't work out, but the very poor record justifies the firing.

Posted by: WorldCup | August 4, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

At least they could have let Benny get his first coaching shot in a home match. Rookie HC on the road is not inviting.

Still, this move had to be made. I never wanted Onalfo as HC. He is not a guy who can take a chicken $#!^ roster and make chicken soup out of it. DCU has a chicken $#!^ roster and putting Benny in charge won't change that. It may put fannies in seats though as well as provide a temporary lift for the team.

Posted by: Ken_Davis1 | August 4, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I have to say I was shocked to see Onalfo was fired. I didn't expect DC to do that midseason, but I was expecting a better coach after the playoffs. As for Benny, good luck.

I figured out our problem. The FO needs to get this lineup for us to have any chances this year (Yes I do know some of the players don't play for us anymore):

-------------Quinn-------------
Graye---Jakovic-----James--Burch
--------------Olsen-------------
Khumalo------------------Castillo
--------------Moreno-------------
------Dyachenko-----Niell-------

Quinn wouldn't be killed by the fans cuz he's a third choice keeper and not as skilled (that we know of) as Perkins or Hamid. With Graye and Burch solidifying the back spots, there will be no mistakes or needless cards. Ben Olsen, even though he retired, would still boss the midfield around. Khumalo and Castillo would consistently offer the mediocrity that our team is so fond of. Jaime, the class player he is, will still play those passes that either slplit their defense of ours. Dyachenko and Niell would score goal after goal after goal (against U-8 teams).

My plan is foolproof. I throw in my name for consideration of the head coach position.

PS: I'm not serious.

Posted by: Konoha7 | August 4, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

scapegoat ... we all know who's to blame!

Posted by: beergorila | August 4, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

VTUnited,

You don't think there is truth to United not having money? Are you kidding me? That comment was as safe a statement about the current state of DC United as could have possibly been posted.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | August 4, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Well I vote for Onalfo sucking as a coach and thats why he got fired. He sucked at KC and now at DC and he'll suck at his next coaching job.

Posted by: francisco_11 | August 4, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Scapegoat? Ha! The man had the tactical sense of a goldfish, and he's a dreadful man manager. It's no wonder he wasn't first-choice manager; his years of mediocrity at the league symbol for mediocrity were the first clue. Onalfo shouldn't have been hired, I'm thrilled that he's fired, and since he does seem like a good guy, I'm glad he gets paid.

None of that is mutually exclusive with wanting Kasper and Payne to go away. Which I want, very much.

I'm glad Benny's the "interim" coach. If that stretches to the whole season, or if they remove the tag, I'll be worried for Benny; it would be a shame for him to get Ripken Seniored, and a waste of his value to the club, the community, and our shared tradition.

Posted by: Landru | August 4, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

@beergorila

scapegoat ... we all know who's to blame?
-------------------------------------------

Adam Archuleta

Posted by: timmy6 | August 4, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Ben's last act as a player IIRC was to drill an opposing player with the ball after a harsh challenge. Hopefully he'll instill the same fire in the players.

Oh, and I expect the players to start drills soon focused on body hair growth....

Posted by: 22206no1 | August 4, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

One word...ETCHEVERRY! Get him over here stat! He's got some coaching experience, excellent work ethic, skills, and most important - he will command respect.

Posted by: ChorzoMan | August 4, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I agree with everything that's been posted here.

Hmmm, maybe that's impossible.

But I do agree that Onalfo's performance was poor enough to justify his dismissal. Yet responsibility for the more important structural problems lies with Kasper, Payne and Chang. Their job performance has been as bad as Onalfo's performance.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 4, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

VTUnited,

Posted by: Gambrills4 | August 4, 2010 12:15 PM

my comment about money was in regard to yet another poster saying that DCU didnt buy a high dollar DP because they were trying to be cheap. Paying out $900K to fire a coach mid-season proves that they arent overtly trying to be cheap. We don't have a high dollar DP because there were no players worth the investment. We already had a high dollar guy just for the sake of having one (Gallardo), and that worked out splendidly.

Posted by: VTUnited | August 4, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

What a joke this franchise has become. Used to be United was an example for the Redskins and Wizards...but not anymore. While those guys are getting their house in order, DC United is in complete disarray.

I don't think Onalfo was a great coach but it's certainly not his fault that a) players keep dropping left and right and b) players have very little talent. He takes the blame for playing some questionable decisions (like playing Santino as a striker and Pontius as a winger) but the bulk of it lies with the front office. They used to be leaders in the past with clever and ontime signing but now that's no more. Just like Al Davis used to be a revolutionary in the NFL of old and has now become a joke, Kasper and Payne are nothing but shadows of their old selves.

And the owner? The dude is based on the west coast. Enough said!

Posted by: tundey | August 4, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

BTW, if nothing changes, Ben is going to FAIL horrible. Like all United fans, I love Ben to death. But this mess can't be fixed by heart alone. You actually need some skill players. Look at NY RedBulls, they keep adding DPs that people actually recognize and that can still play. We? We get no name DPs from who-knows-where.

Posted by: tundey | August 4, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

This link (http://www.dcunited.com/news/2010/08/inside-the-rfk-locker-room) reminds of how all those dot com busts used to operate. Instead of looking at the root cause of a problem, they fire a bunch of mid-level people, assign one of the surviving mid-level'ers to fix the problem with no tools or support.

How is Ben going to fix United? Dude has never coached before! Onalfo as bad as he might be as a coach, actually as some real experience. Is this the time for on-the-job-training? Especially when Ben is certainly not going to keep the job. I suppose they recognize that the season is done so why spend money hiring a quality person to start the clean up process. What a joke!

Posted by: tundey | August 4, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

If Olsen can produce several wins, then perhaps the issue was Onalfo's coaching. But if not, then the problem is higher up.

Here's a thought for discussion: If it weren't for DCU signing Etcheverry and Moreno in the first season, would DCU have ever won anything? How reasonable is it to say that DCU's successes over the years hinge to a large extent on these two very early aquisitions, before other GMs got smart?

Yes, we've had lots of good players over the years -- in particular Christian Gomez in his first year -- but without Etcheverry and Moreno, would we have actually won any crowns, ever?

If you think the answer to this question might be "yes," then the problem is at the GM level. If the answer is "yes" or "probably yes," then we have mostly coasted since 1996, bringing in role players but not players who can win championships without Etcheverry and/or Moreno.

I'm not sure, myself. But those two were so good at getting people in scoring position, and scoring themselves....it doesn't seem like we can score without at least one of them doing well with their very sophisticated dekes and play.

Posted by: tgrahame1 | August 4, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

It worked for Jason Kreis, coaching the Stormin' Mormons! It'll work here in D.C. too!

Posted by: bs2004 | August 4, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

how could payne and kasper keep a straight face when they fired onalfo? did they walk into the room backwards, like they run the franchise?

Posted by: bestmick1 | August 4, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Hire Tom Soehn. I always thought Kevin Payne looked like Steinbrenner.

Posted by: sevnshvn | August 4, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Hire Tom Soehn. I always thought Kevin Payne looked like Steinbrenner.

Posted by: sevnshvn | August 4, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Ben Olsen will be our Maradona . . . hopefully without the 4-0 loss though.

Posted by: Konoha7 | August 4, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Yes, hire Bradley as the new DC United coach so that we can finally be rid of him as USMNT coach. Then we can hire a REAL international coach like Jurgen Klinsmann so that US soccer can get to the next level in WC competition.

Posted by: drphillips44 | August 6, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse