D.C. United news & notes

When the updated list of MLS player salaries was released by the union last week, the lofty figures that D.C. United is paying out for summer signings Branko Boskovic and Pablo Hernandez stole most of the attention.

But the club also quietly reduced a portion of the payroll by presenting an ultimatum to Bolivian defender Juan Manuel Peña: Accept a pay cut or possibly face waivers. In deciding to stay with United, Peña saw his base earnings drop from $108,000 to the league minimum of $40,000. (For late arrivals, such as Boskovic and Hernandez, the figures are based on a full year and prorated.)

Because of injuries, Peña has appeared in just 10 of 21 league matches (nine starts). He did not play in any of the four U.S. Open Cup games. A right quadriceps ailment has kept him sidelined since early July and he still can't strike the ball over distance.

"Juan was on the bubble of playing on a regular basis -- starting games, not starting games," General Manager Dave Kasper said. "He picked up a couple of injuries and we wanted to see how he would respond. The first half of the season, we wanted to make sure he was going to be consistent. To keep him on that salary, we wanted to see consistency. We told him, at this point in time, we needed to adjust his pay."

United President Kevin Payne said a few weeks ago that he expects Peña, a boyhood friend of D.C. captain Jaime Moreno, to retire.

In other news.....

*Forward-midfielder Chris Pontius, who was in street clothes for Sunday's 2-0 victory over the Philadelphia Union because of a hamstring injury, is day to day. "He looked good today, but we have to be careful with him," interim coach Ben Olsen said.

*Defender Carey Talley was not included on the game-day roster Sunday because of a groin strain.

*Defender Rodney Wallace, sidelined for nearly three months after breaking his left leg, is making progress toward a return this season.

At one point during his recovery, he exerted himself too much and suffered a two-week setback. "We'll make sure we don't have that again. Now he knows to gauge himself and how far he can push himself," Olsen said.

*After starting 11 league matches in a 13-game span, rookie defender Jordan Graye has disappeared from the game-day roster. What gives?

"Jordan is a young kid," Olsen said. "These guys always go through a little bit of a bad patch. Jordan happened to be starting every game because we needed to have him on the field during his [personal] wall. He was also playing on the left side, which is an unnatural position for him. In a lot of ways, it was a very tough test. We asked a lot of Jordan Graye. We still believe in Jordan and we think he is going to be a good talent."

Graye's standing was also affected by the return of Marc Burch from a broken foot and the acquisition of Jed Zayner from the Columbus Crew.

With injury concerns and a busy stretch approaching, United might call on Graye again soon. The club is preparing for three matches in seven days: Sunday night at Chivas USA; next Wednesday against the Crew in the U.S. Open Cup semifinals; and Sept. 4 with Columbus in league play.

*By drawing just 12,474 and 12,165 in its past two league home matches, United has seen its average attendance drop to 14,471 -- a 10 percent decline from last year. It is ninth among MLS's 16 teams and in danger of falling behind Chivas USA (14,269) and Columbus (14,173). The league average is 16,500, led by Seattle's 36,155 and Toronto's 20,655. United has not drawn 20,000 for a league match since the home opener.

*United's reserves will play Georgetown University on Wednesday at 9:30 a.m. at the RFK training grounds. The public is welcome.

By Steve Goff  |  August 24, 2010; 1:31 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United  | Tags: D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Carlos Varela on tryout with D.C. United
Next: Wednesday kickaround: Maryland Terrapins, Ben Olsen, Jaime Moreno, Crew in Mexico, DaMarcus Beasley, Americans abroad, TV listings

Comments

United was on the right track back when they had signed big players from Argentina and Brazil but unfortunately things did not pan out as planned. Now that the stadium issue has been in the air for far too long I don't see United getting too much better in the near future. The future of this team has looked quite bleak all season long. From the hiring of a coach nobody really wanted to the talent that was collected that seemed obvious to at least myself that they were going nowhere fast. I hope Olsen can direct United to at least a base with which to start next season out better and I pray MLS steps in and saves this team from the oblivion it faces if a home is not found soon.

Posted by: elfelixg | August 24, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

For those of you going to the reserve game, remember to put your laptops in your trunks.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 24, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Pena was signed to appease Jaime. The personnel decisions made by the technical staff since Kasper arrived here in 2003 are shocking. There is no hope for this team until he is removed from that responsibility.

Posted by: lgm6986 | August 24, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

can we expose Kasper for the expansion draft?

Posted by: beergorila | August 24, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I think Pena was signed because our defense was so terrible last year and we needed some leadership in the back. I think if the Talley/waivers thing had come along sooner they probably wouldn't have signed Pena. But who knows.

Posted by: fedssocr | August 24, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

The declining DCU attendance is a major story worth watching. I suspect that the season ticket renewals will fall off the cliff during the offseason. When you consider both the on the field product and the off the field amenities, DCU is almost dead last in the MLS for both. The fact that gems of stadiums are closeby in Philly and NJ doesn't help.

I wouldn't be surprised if our attendance hovers around 10,000 next year. The diehards will keep coming, but at this point, do they really exceed more than 5000?

Posted by: jofij | August 24, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

jofij: +1

Posted by: davethelad | August 24, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jofij | August 24, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

==========================================

I hope your prediction does not come true but I can see it happening. United supporters need to start asking themselves the following:

What's worse attending what is considered to be an inferior product or having no product to attend to at all.

Recent sports history has proven that attendance woes at a critical juncture in a franchise's existence does not bode well for the city the franchise resides in. Just saying not judging.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | August 24, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I've had some sort of season ticket package for the past 11 seasons. The last 3 seasons, DCU presented an unacceptable product, one that declined year over year to the utter mess we have today. I love the game and I enjoy the game day experience seeing a game live at the stadium. However, unless major changes in the FO are made in the offseason, I must think long and hard about renewing my tickets. If Chang shows Kasper the door after 3 miserable seasons, I will have some reason to be optimistic and renew.

Posted by: griffin1108 | August 24, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

"Rodney Wallace, sidelined for nearly three months after breaking his left leg"

Not to be pedantic, but he had his leg broken for him...

Posted by: teo_68 | August 24, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jofij | August 24, 2010 2:01 PM

--------------------------------------

I think attendance has hit rock bottom and that number is 12k. People will show up to watch a losing team as long as the product on the field is entertaining. But when there is nothing to cheer about because the quality of play resembles a second division college rugby game (all hacking, no skill) and the home team can only find the back of the net one in three times, that is really tough to get motivated for.

Posted by: dchooligan | August 24, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I hear many a comment echoing in RFK these days.

"I'm not renewing my tickets next year"

"This club is bound for Baltimore"

"Why should I care, the team isn't staying"

"I can't watch this club anymore"

It's a bad situation. To say that United isn't TRYING to make its product better doesn't discount what the club is actually doing. They are looking at players, trying to bring in young and old talent. They clearly are spending money and even more money than necessary in terms of Branco.

Some of these players are earning too much and others too little. The team has to be at or close to cap limits. However, the scouting and performance leaves many frustrated and feeling like the club isn't trying.

I feel like a lot of players are not attracted to DC right now because the club's future isn't sorted and because why play at RFK when you can get any other stadium and be in a better situation.

The only thing that needs to be addressed at this point is the future of the club. Is it here and does it involve a new stadium funded by some public, public/private, or private entity in the District? Or is it in Baltimore where a bankrupt city and state is trying to give the club everything it wants? Or is it somewhere else completely?

Frankly, I'm hoping so much of the on-field product right now and the last couple of years will one day be blamed on the non-stop efforts of front-office personnel to obtain our new digs at Poplar Point, RFK, SE Waterfront, WHEREVER!

I just hope that's the story I will get to tell one day.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | August 24, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

jofij,

Do you know for a fact that DCU will be bad next year? If NYRB can go from bottom to top in one year than so can DCU. Don't even say anything about Henry and Marquez though, because they aren't the reasons NY is where they are today.

Posted by: Unitedfury | August 24, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I am starting to feel like Pontius is a bust. He might need to go to another team to develop properly.

Posted by: alan19 | August 24, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

we could switch our youth team with our 1st team. that way players like morsink and mctavish can develop properly and our team could be successful

Posted by: SexyOffender | August 24, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

alan19, you are being completely illogical. If Pontius is a bust here but can develop properly only with another team, then the onus isn't on Pontius but on DCU. What you probably meant to say is that DCU hasn't developed him properly and only another club can do so. If Pontius just doesn't have sufficient talent to play in the league, then it doesn't much matter whose shirt he wears.

Posted by: b18bolo | August 24, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

A couple dissents: 1) Pena was good when he was healthy, and I'd still rather have him than Talley in the center with Jakovic. 2) There's no doubt that attendance is down substantially, but you need to bear in mind that August, though it sounds like prime time, always sees a falloff (unless it's LA with Becks). The real test is whether it bounces back up again in September. If not, then, . . . yikes.

Unitedfury: +1. Let's mount a campaign against excessive gloom. Reality is bad enough without having to exaggerate (i.e., "Pontius is a bust"). The top professional soccer league in the US has a team in my town, and I'm going to the games.

Posted by: dccal | August 24, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

OT: I see that the Virginia women's team pasted Colgate, 6-0.

I suggest Colgate brush up on their defending.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | August 24, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

So is it now the club's policy that Payne will annouce his players retirements?
I thought the actual player does that kind of announcement.
Payne is an arrogant ass.

Posted by: matthewjfyoungs | August 24, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

So is it now the club's policy that Payne will annouce his players retirements?
I thought the actual player does that kind of announcement.
Payne is an arrogant ass.

Posted by: matthewjfyoungs | August 24, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

b18bolo you phrased it the way I meant. Thanks.

Posted by: alan19 | August 24, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I, for one, plan at the moment to buy season tickets for the first time ever for next season (assuming there's no price increase, of course). I love my team and I love my city and I don't want United going anywhere. I still have a good time despite the quality of the product.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | August 24, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Baltimore and Maryland are not bankrupt. Like all cities and states, they are financially strapped, but unlike most states and cities, including DC, there is a state agency whose mission is to build and manage sports venues.

The Maryland Stadium Authority is the driving force behind trying to build an SSS in Baltimore designed to lure DCU as the anchor tenant. This agency is not beset with the usual political hassles that are institutional in DC, nor is MSA burdened with having just given away a $700 million stadium to a baseball team.

This would be what separates Baltimore and Maryland from other jurisdictions.

Posted by: lgm6986 | August 24, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

My feelings echo VBB's in regard to what is really happening vs how the public is perceiving the whole mess.

Personally I can't really afford to come to many games when the team is doing well, let alone when it *seems* like the FO is completely clueless.

I am however picking up a somewhat legitimate job here in the near future and may afford me more trips to RFK, but I won't be spending a dime if I don't see Chang make some real change.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 24, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

That's cold Thor. Raider women are pre-season #1 pick in the Patriot. UVA should go pick on someone their own size.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 24, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VercengetorixII | August 24, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

+1 Vamos United!

Posted by: Gambrills4 | August 24, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Maybe if Colgate picked an easier team to cut their teeth in preseason, they can win more than just a little plaque this year.

Posted by: WorldCup | August 24, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WorldCup | August 24, 2010 4:34 PM

+++++++++++++++

Well done! We need more of this and less whining and character assassination!

Posted by: JkR- | August 24, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

When is Jaime Moreno day?

Posted by: OWNTF | August 24, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I thought Jordan Graye looked quite good (with good speed) in his 11 games. Does anyone know what went wrong? Any thoughts?

Posted by: lemovs1 | August 24, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey! United did something right and put up another picture of mine on their site!

Especially pleasing for Sounders Haters/Hendrix fans...:)

Posted by: DadRyan | August 24, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Not only is Jay DeMerit available, he recently spoke about being open to playing in MLS. I wonder if the United F.O. even has him on their radar, since he's not an aging Argentinian or European player.

Posted by: Kenobi | August 24, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Like the Redskins, the blame for the state of the team should be focused on the top. And by blame I mean their failure to bring a sense of security to the area and the team. I find it hard to believe supposedly savvy businessmen can't work a stadium deal in the DC Metro area. They don't need DC and they can play MD and VA off each other. With a soft economy they can't work deal? Once they get a stadium agreement worked out, morale improves, investors get optimistic and players are less stressed. Ownership needs to step up and take charge.

Posted by: ehclement | August 24, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Virginia is running in the black, and it would seem that their government intends to keep it that way. So I can't see them pi$$ing away any money on a multi-millionaire's soccer team at the moment.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 24, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

No CL for Kljestan after Anderlecht loses out to Partizan in PKs. Anderlecht went down 2-0 early in the 2nd half, came back to tie, and had the game-winner disallowed by a blown offside call.

Posted by: benonthehill | August 24, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

It be said that Virginia rinsed with Colgate then spit them down the drain.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 24, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Especially pleasing for Sounders Haters/Hendrix fans...:)

Posted by: DadRyan

You look like you've been dead for decades!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 24, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Well done! We need more of this and less whining and character assassination!

Posted by: JkR- |

IT TAKES MORE...JkRs!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 24, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

That's the spirit...

Posted by: JkR- | August 24, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ehclement | August 24, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Just take a look at OWNTF's statements about the stadium issue and that's what you get everywhere DCU goes. OWNTF apparently doesn't think any team should have a stadium built anywhere in the United States if it means that the government has to kick in something for infrastructure improvements in and around the site -- he seems to either ignore the fact, or doesn't know that states and local governments often pay for other major businesses to do the exact same thing, but apparently sports teams aren't actually a business, but merely a distraction and a drain on the local economy.

Virginia doesn't want a team -- any team. They rejected the Redskins, they'll reject DCU no matter where they go...they could go to Spotsylvania County and still get rejected. Neither does Montgomery, PG, nor Howard County apparently want anything to do with DCU. And the DC government, well, these guys have had their heads up their bums so long, they can't find their way back out again.

The only one who seem to be even somewhat interested is Baltimore, and if DC doesn't get their act together, that's exactly where they're going to go -- and OWNTF, I expect you to fully support this move, as it means a win for your local economy to have DC United out of RFK, because you know, RFK was really holding that area of DC back.

Posted by: mercurysnake77 | August 24, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Bizarre attack on OWNTF. I see no need to misrepresent his rather simple statement.

Posted by: JkR- | August 24, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Real estate is local, Mercury. Rather than blame Virginia, blame the specific counties -- Arlington, Alexandria and Fairfax -- all operated by government officials not afraid to spend OPM. Yet even THEY don't want a stadium in their backyard.

This conservative believes these officials are being shortsighted in the case of DC United. A look at European stadia shows that a 25k stadium has a smaller footprint than those the size of RFK (and larger) and they can fit in an urban or semi-urban environment. Surround it with restaurants, shops and the like and a place like Arlington or Alexandria can establish a thriving business district, IMO. Provide few parking spots and make them expensive to encourage people to take public transit -- or walk.

But back to my point... don't blame Virginia as a whole. Blame the three counties that have just said no.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | August 24, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | August 24, 2010 8:16 PM

************

There you go. And don't take it personally, they've said no to the NFL and MLB when those properties were in play.

I think they actually mean it.

Posted by: JkR- | August 24, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

shi!t, you know I'd be all in if it ended up being Haymarket United!
I got family out that way...:)

Posted by: DadRyan | August 24, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

oops, I meant to censor that better than I did and am surprised it still made it through the filtration system...

Posted by: DadRyan | August 24, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

so how much of the drop off is due to soccer overload this year and end of summer vacations? There was a lot of soccer on tv earlier this summer (world cup.) I agree with the comment that we should see it pick up in the fall. (& yes I am a season ticket holder.)

Posted by: mmsq | August 24, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mmsq | August 24, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

DCUnited ownership and management should take some lessons from the failings of Dan Snyder and the Redskins.

1) rebuilding takes time - and a vision, a strategy, a plan and some long-term leadership discipline on the field and in the front office.
2) 36 years old is old for a professional ahtlete.
3) Spend your money on the up and comers who are proving themselves to the club and creating hope and excitement (think Andy Najar.) This builds the next generation core to follow in the worldclass boot steps of Jamie Moreno and the others who made DCUnited 4 time MLS champion.

Posted by: billszy | August 24, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: billszy | August 24, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

I agree but you totally missed the most important item. The Redskins now have competent football professionals running their operation. DC United does not.

This may sound harsh to some but at this point if you are anti-stadium deal for United then you are essentially anti-DC United. There simply will not be a team to support much longer in DC if there isn't a stadium deal in place. Ivan Carter of Washington Post Live hit the nail on the head the other night when he encouraged United supporters to vote for the local politicians that are pro stadium. We are now in stoppage time guys.

Posted by: croftonpost | August 25, 2010 12:07 AM | Report abuse

I am a 10 year full season ticket holder and may not renew next year. It is not all about how bad the team sucks right now, but that is the factor pushing me over the edge. Other factors include the fact that I miss several games every season due to conflicts, I have been unemployed for 7 months this year, and my wife thinks I spend too many nights at RFK. With all that in mind, I may be better off getting flex vouchers next year.

Posted by: DCU4LIFE | August 25, 2010 1:09 AM | Report abuse

dcu4life,

I went through a long unemployment period myself several years back. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemies. Best of luck and vamos United!

Posted by: croftonpost | August 25, 2010 6:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | August 24, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

But read lgm6986's post about the MSA. He makes a good point that even most Marylanders miss. In the MSA you have a state agency with the authority to issue its own bonds with revenues generated by a special taxing authority on the stadium revenues. It has built up a strong track record and therefore has a strong bond rating and pays low interest.

In short, if you're a Maryland community looking to build a stadium, you'll get support from Annapolis. If you're a Virginia community, you'll get an icy stare from Richmond.

Posted by: stancollins | August 25, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

The Maryland Stadium Authority is the driving force behind trying to build an SSS in Baltimore designed to lure DCU as the anchor tenant...This would be what separates Baltimore and Maryland from other jurisdictions.

Posted by: lgm6986 | August 24, 2010 3:36 PM

Well said, lgm6986. This is why MLS will probably announce within a month after the conclusion of MLS Cup that DC is relocating to Baltimore next season (probably playing at Raven's stadium while a new one is being designed and built a few years later).

They're just not telling us the news now because they know attendance will plummet even further and they save this type of news for the off-season when it won't distract attention from other games/teams.

VA counties have made it clear they don't want any professional sports team (fair enough) and DC gov't is too dysfunctional and corrupt to hold onto one.

Posted by: grognard66 | August 25, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Just an FYI for anyone who doesn't think MSA is serious about getting United to Baltimore. Check out page 28 of the MSA's annual budget report on this presentation:

Also note the emphasis throughout the report on soccer and think of how lucrative this would make Baltimore as a location for the US World Cup bid (off site training for teams playing at Raven's Stadium). The desire is there at the city and state level and financing is not an issue for MSA.

Posted by: grognard66 | August 25, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

"if you are anti-stadium deal for United then you are essentially anti-DC United. "
Posted by: croftonpost | August 25, 2010 12:07 AM

??? Who's anti-stadium deal???? I've read some say it's just not going to happen that some jurisdiction in Va. and DC aren't going to financially assist a stadium. Put me in that group.

But anti stadium deal?? I haven't seen anyone say that.

Posted by: JkR- | August 25, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

A couple of points in connections to the excellent posts above:

1. Don't compare MLS team to those of any other sports when it come to any aspect of the team's operation. They are apples and oranges. MLS is a division of a soccer marketing firm (SUM), subsidized by that company. Its revenue sources are both less plentiful and fewer in quantity than those of other teams in other leagues. MLS operates on its own model, and for purposes of advancing a responsible conversation cannot be compared to other teams in other sports.

2. Another thing to keep in mind in assessing the Baltimore option, don't forget that KP is a business partner in MLS and SUM with Jonathan Kraft, investor-operator of the NE Revolution. His father, Robert Kraft, owner of the NE Patriots, pulled the greatest stadium/relocation scheme in sports history, one that would make Walter O'Malley smile. Kraft pater had the Pats up and ready to go to Hartford, had a deal agreed to for a stadium, had a guarantee of suites and club seats to be bought, and at the last minute he pulled out because Foxborough woke up and gave him what he wanted. KP is aware of that history and is smart enough to think about using that tactic.

Don't be surprised if all of this Baltimore attention DCU is paying is in some way part of massive scheme to light a fire under the DC politicians.

Posted by: lgm6986 | August 25, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

I'm against wasteful public funding of private enterprise. Does that make me "anti-stadium deal"? I'm not against DC United, far from it. Probably spent as many of my own dollars in support over the last 5 years as most who post.

I would say, if you are for public funding of private for-profit sports teams -- socializing any loss, while keeping any gain private -- then you are essentially anti-Freedom. And I don't mean the local womens soccer team.

Why do you think MacFarlane split? You think he always had it in his big heart to own a soccer team to serve the DC area, and Fenty screwed him? Or was he was looking to bootstrap his modest investment in the team to get Fenty to underwrite his grander real estate aspirations, and Fenty stood athwart the DC treasury and said "Stop!"?

Posted by: OWNTF | August 25, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Athwart!!

Excellent....

Posted by: JkR- | August 25, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

just rippin off Buckley

time was that self-styled progressives and fiscal conservatives were aligned against public stadium funding

now it seems everyone has their snout in the public trough

"Where's MY bail-out?"

Posted by: OWNTF | August 25, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

OWNTF: That's spot on. That's exactly why Victor split. He wanted what I call "The Emerald City" at Poplar Point: the grand vision of apartments, hotel, soccer fields, Reston Town Center-style shopping avenues, all anchored by a SSS. KP spent hundreds of thousands of WIll and Victor's money to Arent Fox to get it done and it failed, although KP did get his daughter a job there.

Will is hanging in there because he likes being the head honcho of a sports team. He is a sports fan; he would lock with the coaches at RFK, ride the team bus and sit next to the head coach on the way to away games, come to the locker room after wins and losses and join in on the celebrating or commiserating. His vision is different than Victor's, athough he sees the new stadium as a means to an end, just a diferent end.

Posted by: lgm6986 | August 25, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

If you are going to relocate the team, why not look everywhere? Why focus on Baltimore?

Posted by: Reignking | August 25, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

ReignKing: It's not so much that DCU is focusing on Baltimore as it is that DCU is focusing on the best option presently on the table. It almost as much by default that Baltimore's profile in this whole issue is so prominent.

Posted by: lgm6986 | August 25, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Exactly, by default...I would think that they would want to do more investigation into the city's support of soccer. It just seems like "oh, Baltimore, that's close enough".

Posted by: Reignking | August 25, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Focusing on Baltimore makes sense from a business perspective. Yes, it makes me bitter, but they will retain some core of ticketholders, and lose others. Still, it would not be starting from scratch. I'm not saying that I would renew, after being planholder since day one, but I understand the logic especially after all of the frustration with DC. I still love the team and its fans, just not the front office leadership.

Posted by: Section304 | August 25, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

But anti stadium deal?? I haven't seen anyone say that.

Posted by: JkR- | August 25, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

=====================================

I have seen quite a few posts that were anti-stadium. Basically the theme of the posts is that if the deal involves governmental assistance then they would rather see United leave than support the stadium.

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | August 25, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | August 25, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

**************************************

Worked out real good for Fenty didn't it? He screwed DC United went with other investors and a public charade/bidding and then got lef twith nothing. Instead of investment at Poplar Point we have rotting trash and rampant crime. What a great move by Fenty, simply f***ing brilliant.

Posted by: blackandred777 | August 25, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | August 25, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

**************************************

Worked out real good for Fenty didn't it? He screwed DC United, went with other investors after a public charade/bidding process, and then got left with nothing. Instead of investment at Poplar Point we have rotting trash and rampant crime. What a great move by Fenty, simply f***ing brilliant.

Posted by: blackandred777 | August 25, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Not only is the Poplar Point project dead in the water now thanks to Fenty but DCU is likely to leave as well. Everybody please remember 10/29/2006 when you vote this year. Vote for anybody but Fenty!

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | August 25, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | August 25, 2010 10:33 AM

That's a very narrow interpretation...

Posted by: JkR- | August 25, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

That's a very narrow interpretation...

Posted by: JkR- | August 25, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

=============================

Does it matter? If it makes you feel better I have also seen NIMBY posts here stating they would like the stadium just not around their neighborhood.

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | August 25, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

It simply doesn't make you 'anti stadium' to not want a poorly located facility paid for with public money.

The original post saying so was grossly over the top.

(BTW, my own view is there is a time and place for publicly financed stadiums, but my back yard doesn't have Metro access...)

Posted by: JkR- | August 25, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Vote for anybody but Fenty!

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue
===========================

Kind of an ironic name you've chosen.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 25, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

JKR,

I'm pretty confident the original post was meant to be over the top. Along the lines of you are either all in or all out. At this point, I definitely get it. Baltimore isn't personally terrible for myself but I would much rather DCU stays in DC.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | August 25, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

OWNTF,

That is not a statement of hate. It is our democratic process working and it is completely acceptable.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | August 25, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Kind of an ironic name you've chosen.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 25, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

==============================

I encouraged everyone to vote against Fenty not hate Fenty. I see nothing wrong with that. I made no comments about him personally like a certain man does regularly on the EIB network.

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | August 25, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I will stand corrected on that one.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 25, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse