Freedom wins, but Gabarra's job in jeopardy

The Washington Freedom ended a five-game losing streak and 10-game winless skid in Women's Professional Soccer on Wednesday night with a 2-0 victory over the Philadelphia Independence at Maryland SoccerPlex. The result couldn't have come at a better time for Jim Gabarra, the Freedom's only head coach through nine years and multiple leagues.

According to Insider sources, Gabarra has been asked to present a plan to club executives Monday, outlining how he intends to turn around the season. At that point, the club will decide whether to retain him.

Washington (5-8-5) began with a 4-2-1 record but slipped into a 0-6-4 rut until defeating Philadelphia (8-6-3) on a pair of headers two minutes apart by Abby Wambach late in the first half following a storm delay. With six matches remaining, the Freedom is tied with Chicago for fourth place (the final playoff berth) in the seven-team league. Washington is off until next Wednesday at Sky Blue in New Jersey.

By Steve Goff  |  August 4, 2010; 10:13 PM ET
Categories:  Freedom , Women  | Tags: WPS, Washington Freedom
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA roster for friendly vs. Brazil
Next: Thursday kickaround: D.C. United, DaMarcus Beasley, Silverdome, Inter Milan in Dallas, MLS in Champions League, SuperLiga

Comments

A much-needed win for Washington.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | August 4, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

I learned about the Comcast-produced live Webcast just before kickoff. Did anyone else watch it? For that matter, was anyone actually out there in the rain?

Fourth place gets a place in the playoffs, but third place gets one more home match, and thus one more chance to enjoy five-dollar craft brews at the beer garden.

As suggested in an earlier thread, perhaps an Onalfo-for-Gabarra trade is in order.

JacobfromAtlanta-ish: Please elaborate on your post in the previous thread about the stuff happening up at Harvard Stadium.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 4, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

U&P, I'd be glad to, but I'm on my phone at work, so it would be easiest to point you to twitter.com/hopesolo

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 5, 2010 6:04 AM | Report abuse

Since my game is fair play, here's where a response from the fan club Solo accuses http://www.riptide08.com/

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 5, 2010 7:10 AM | Report abuse

Blame the front office.

Posted by: Reignking | August 5, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

I understand that he has guided this franchise through some very difficult times.

The collapse of the WUSA, the W-League years (which the club still participates in with it's Reserves/Futures) when the club played just for the sake of having something intact for the day that women's professional soccer would be return.

I have been wondering since last year when he was going to be in the hotseast. I would ague that club has underachieved and that it should have better results and that JG, while having been a great steward and dedicated and faithful cornerstone for the club--he has been given a "pass" up until now.

He should be under review. The reuslts simply haven't been good enough.

Posted by: yankiboy | August 5, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Hire Carin Gabarra!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 5, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

the ladies pretty much controlled the match lest night, especially after the rain delay. the thing is, with the talent that they have (on paper at least) why are they not getting Ws more often?

Posted by: 22206no1 | August 5, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Some of the personnel/draft decisions in the last two years have been mystifying, beyond the collosal screw up of letting Lori Lindsey go. And players who have left have thrived (Lindsey, Lohman) whereas it seems to me that a player like Bomp, who showed up on Day 1 with brilliant stuff, has slowly lost her way amongst all the tactical and position changes.

And this is not a situation like Onalfo's where the talent doesn't match up. Freedom has got more than enough talent to compete in this league.

I think the only question is whether to replace JG from within (Clyde Watson) or to look outside the organization. I wonder what Watson would change, and what he would keep the same, if he took over. I guess standard operating procedure in this situation would be to give it to Clyde on an interim basis and see what happens.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 5, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Sasho to DC, Shannon to the Freedom!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 5, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I mourned the loss of Lori Lindsey too. Who should they have left uncovered instead? Wasn't the club in a position where it was going to lose someone extremely valuable, no matter what? I don't remember the details, but at the time, I counted 12 people I'd have wanted to protect.

I'm sometimes mystified by Gabarra's gameday personnel management choices, but unlike MLS, I have a lot less information on the daily ins and outs of what's going on with Freedom. I've always been a lot more willing to let him slide, figuring he knows what he's doing. Contrast that with my stance on DCU, and...well, yeah, I'm a prick.

Posted by: Landru | August 5, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Hip,Hip Hoorraaayy!! for the FREEDOM's win last night!!They have the stuff to go to the playoffs and be the league champs.
It's hard to know what to think about Gabarra. No one but the players and coaching staff really know what happens in the locker room. I sure don't understand why the FREEDOM hasn't won more games.
I didn't like it when Lori Lindsay and Joanna Lohman were let go, but I am happy both of them are doing so well. The FREEDOM were all sure pumped up last night and I hope that continues. GK'er Erin McLeod is having surgery today, so I just wanted to wish well and hope she has a speedy recovery.

Posted by: 10bestfan | August 5, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

The Freedom could have protected Lori Lindsey by leaving Allie Long or Ali Krieger exposed. Long has done fairly well this year (though not as well as Lindsey), but Krieger seems to have been a waste since she prefers playing in Germany.

Posted by: kevinwparker | August 5, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

You're right--now I think on it, I was annoyed that they protected Krieger, who I didn't care for anyway.

Allie Long...limited skillset, but it's fun to watch her run people over.

Posted by: Landru | August 5, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

If we're lucky they'll get rid of him. You can't blame the results on the front office or the players, it's all the coach. His lineups have been mystifying, playing Bompastor out of position and sitting players who have been effective attacking up the flanks and serving balls in to Abby.

Posted by: hscott | August 5, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

@universityandpark:

I didn't know the game was going to be shown! I can never make it to the games- no car- but do follow online when I can on twitter or any other site I can find.

Good to see a W for a change. This season has been hard to be a DCU and Freedom fan with the difficulties we're facing.

@OWNTF:
I agree that Bomp has been great for us (I bought her jersey, I was so impressed by her) but she needs to be in mid more than D as she can create and hold the ball so our players can make their runs and hopefully punish the opponents.

My problem (and there are a few) is why we didn't get help for Abby up front when St Louis folded. She's usually all by herself up top and double-teamed within an inch of her life. Why we didn't take Aluko in the dispersal draft is a head-shaker for me. At least with her speed she could deflect some attention from Abby.

My two cents.

Posted by: kinseyjames | August 5, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

The thing about Krieger -- definitely not a mistake to protect her if she was coming back. I predict she starts for the US in the World Cup next year. Mad talent.

I just wonder why they couldn't have known that she wasn't coming back. I certainly don't blame her -- I suspect Pia likes her playing in Frankfurt with all the germans day in and day out better than playing in the SoccerPlex.

I have no explanation about Lindsey, other than perhaps they felt Huffman would come back from injury and be better than Lindsey. According to the Philly coach, she was for at least one night anyway -- last night.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 5, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 10bestfan | August 5, 2010 12:41 PM
__________________________________________

I'll be pulling for McLeod, too. But what I want to know is whether she ever lived in Boalsburg. (Ditto for Long and Lohman.)

Posted by: universityandpark | August 5, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Why we didn't take Aluko in the dispersal draft is a head-shaker for me.

Posted by: kinseyjames | August 5, 2010 1:16 PM
________________________________________

Actually, there was no dispersal draft as such. Given that they were in mid-season and had to act quickly, Antonucci and Co, went straight to free agency. Atlanta got more than its share of the St. Louis diaspora, presumably because the Beat's owner was willing to fork out the money. I agree that the Freedom should have made more of the opportunity, although who knows whether they could have outbid the Beat for Aluko's services. However, their acquisition of Harris appears to have been fortuitous.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 5, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 5, 2010 7:10 AM
_________________________________________

Thanks for the link! BTW, Riptide is a nifty name for an SG.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 5, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

They protected Huffman, too? Yikes. She had one good touch last night, and a whole lot of bad ones. That's about the ratio I've seen this season, except for the one good touch. I would guess that she's personally responsible for half of the team's turnovers--she's a dreadful passer. I will credit her with an ability to take a punch.

Uhm...if Aly Krieger has mad talent, I sure didn't see any of it during any home or televised Freedom games last season, but I realize she was coming back from injury and didn't have a lot of time to work into the team's chemistry and flow.

I also didn't feel like Lindsey was bad last night, although she appeared to be as deflated as the rest of Philadelphia by the delay.

Posted by: Landru | August 5, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

From Goff's reporting last year:

The Insider has obtained the Washington Freedom's protected list ahead of WPS's expansion draft: Abby Wambach, Cat Whitehill, Ali Kreiger, Homare Sawa, Lisa De Vanna, Sonia Bompastor, Erin McLeod, Sarah Huffman, Becky Sauerbrunn and Allie Long. Surprisingly, Lori Lindsey, who was invited to USA national team training camp next month, was not protected.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 5, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Thanks OWNTF, for finding what I was too lazy to look for.

Posted by: Landru | August 5, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse