Gone fishin' .....

Figuratively, not literally. (The only fishing I'll be doing is for lobster roll.)

I'll rejoin you again Sunday from RFK Stadium. Meantime, Post colleagues will contribute to the blog periodically. Things to watch for this week:

*D.C. United will formally introduce academy signing Conor Shanosky, but is not expected to add English-American trialist Jemal Johnson.

*Perhaps some movement on the Bob Bradley-USSF situation.

*Awaiting official announcement on the USA-Poland friendly at Chicago's Soldier Field on Oct. 9 and perhaps details of the proposed Colombia game three days later (site unclear).

*The CONCACAF Champions League begins the group stage with four MLS clubs in action. The UEFA Champions League qualifying continues.

*Manchester United opens the league calendar today at home against Newcastle (3 p.m. ET, ESPN2, ESPN3.com); the Copa Libertadores title will be settled Wednesday when Internacional hosts Chivas (9 p.m., Fox Sports Espanol); the Washington Freedom continues its WPS playoff push Thursday at home against Chicago; and college programs around the country open preseason camps.

You have the floor.

By Steve Goff  |  August 16, 2010; 9:00 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF Champions League , D.C. United , Euro Champions League , Freedom , MLS  | Tags: Bob Bradley, D.C. United, MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: American soccer players abroad
Next: Shanosky signing official, United tensions grow

Comments

Inmates running the asylum...

Posted by: Reignking | August 16, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Paging Nurse Ratched to the Futbol Ward. There's been a disturbance in Sec. 135.

Posted by: TheAMT | August 16, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Are they going to add anyone who can help them find the back of the net?

I believe the tenor of the game would have been different if one of our early opportunities had actually been finished.

Oh . . . by the way . . . Abbey still sucks (and I'll add the bench-side AR). MLS should never have allowed him back.

Posted by: carnack | August 16, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

San Jose is looking at Geovanni (free agent from Hull), apparently.

It looks like Garrido wants to keep Jozy now.

Posted by: Reignking | August 16, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

mmmm. lobster roll. Mickey D's had them a few years back in New England - best thing ever seen on their menu!

Posted by: nairbsod | August 16, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

McRib. Chomp.

Posted by: Reignking | August 16, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Sure was nice to see Bob Bradley's DC United shirt at the Red Bull game. Would love to have him join us.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | August 16, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

[Sigh] It's going to be a long week. For a Goff-related diversion, check out Wife-of-Insider's review of Eat, Pray, Love. Glad I dodged that flick.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 16, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Monday Night football!

I wonder if they're music is as awesome as ours...

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 16, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dsheon1 | August 16, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

i've been totally wasting time all morning at the office watching soccer highlights, but check out the sign at 0:05 in this video. next time we play them someone has to bring something like this, even if it is confiscated immediately by security...

Posted by: rademaar | August 16, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

RE: Stadium. My Maryland delegate was campaigning door-to-door last week (for the primaries). After I asked him about important stuff, I asked about a stadium for DC United. His response, in a nutshell, is that the state doesn't have the kind of money that the team is asking for and the owner would have to put up a lot more than what was offered under MacFarlane.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 16, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

@ rademaar: More proof that English is the official language of profanity. I saw ahighlight (can't remember the teams or league) of a middle-finger banner about 4x the size of the Bull****.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 16, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

INDEED

"Given the election, I think Fenty's comment to fans at RFK, his inability to strike a deal with United's front office for whatever reason, and the status of a stadium deserves to be an issue the Post probes - especially in light of the remarkable disappearance of David Nakumara who reported on this issue for the Post at a time when his alledged "deal making" with the Fenty administration was revealed by the City Paper. I know you have done a tremendous job covering the team, Fearless Leader Goff, but me thinks the Post has dropped the ball and United fans deserve a more aggressive line of questioning for why we don't have a stadium deal. Was it the mayor's stubborness or United's? It's too late to ask after the team announces a move. Ask now. Please. Will copy the ombudsman."

Posted by: Boogie_Knight | August 16, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps we can have a soccer stadium built in DC if we attach a mosque to it. Perhaps in the Pentagon parking lot?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | August 16, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

@Rand
You do know the Pentagon is not in DC, right?

A Fenty volunteer came to my house on Sunday and asked if they had our support, one of the reasons I listed about being undecided was the DCU stadium situation....

I now expect the issue to be resolved very quickly.

Posted by: rockotodd | August 16, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Washington DC has shockingly high rates of adult illiteracy, infant mortality, HIV/AIDs infection, unemployment, underemployment and crime. Crumbling infrastructure. Dysfunctional public schools and public services. Marion Barry is on the City Council, for pete's sake.

And all you can think about is some mythical "pledge" Fenty made to a professional soccer team owned by multi-millionaires?

You folks need to seriously climb up someplace high enough to afford a view of a much larger picture than what you're seeing.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 16, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

You can climb to the top of Nationals stadium for that view.

Posted by: Reignking | August 16, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I do, Rock. I can see it from my window. Right where the plane went in.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | August 16, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I-270... what important stuff do you ask a politician?

OWNTF... You hit the nail on the head about dc's problems. That still won't keep us from dreaming. Especially when the politicians in dc bent over backwards for a baseball stadium.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 16, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF, yes, and the dc gov't can't do beans about any of them but make them worse. Example, DC is among highest education spending per student in country, yet the schools are among the worst. No wonder the rich and powerful DC teachers union bosses send their kids to PRIVATE schools.

But the DC gov't CAN, with the stroke of a pen, make it so DCU can build a soccer stadium.

That would do at least SOME good.

Posted by: Ron16 | August 16, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

@ Rand-al-Thor . . . putting aside all other issues with it, at least the Muslims aren't looking for someone else to pay for their mosque . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | August 16, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I didn't say it was the only reason I listed just one of many.

I'd still rather live here than any where else.

Posted by: rockotodd | August 16, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

if yer a bigot clap your hands!!

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | August 16, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

easy there fella, that's a big harsh label to be throwing around!

what does sharia say about bong hits, anyway?

Posted by: OWNTF | August 16, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

================

I know some Insiders aren't big fans of the Nats playing visitors in US cities where the visitors get as many (or more) fans than the US side. But I like it. The more international matches for the younger guys, the better; I have no problems with US Soccer making some money; and if Bob's boys play well, they may win over some first-generation immigrants who root for the "old country" first but don't know enough about the US side to support them.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | August 16, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Berbatov gets the start.

I can't say his name without pronouncing like Rooney does on Special1TV.

Posted by: Reignking | August 16, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF... not to make this thread any more political than you already have, but... tell me, were the 9-11 hijackers only targeting christians? Or conservatives, for that matter? How many muslims died on 9-11?

Posted by: me_ahogo | August 16, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Goff's title made me think of the Icelandic team's goal celebration.

here's their latest "creation"

Posted by: OWNTF | August 16, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

dangit, meant to post that to rand-al-thor... my bad

Posted by: me_ahogo | August 16, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Ah yes, the great ideal of America -- that certain religions should not be allowed to build places of worship in places that other religions can. I think that's what all our soldiers are fighting for.

Sorry for the OT but (a) this thread is shot anyway and (b) Thor started it and (c) I let him slide last week with his OT whining about affordable housing.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | August 16, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

This is going to be a long week.

Posted by: Reignking | August 16, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF how else do you explain it?

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | August 16, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

let's change topics: what does everyone think of the intentional handball that suarez had in the uruguay v ghana game?

Posted by: birdynumnum | August 16, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Not to personally attack Steven Goff, but does anyway else out there feel that Soccer Insider has gone downhill? I have slowly converted to Soccer by Ives, which gives readers more access and more breaking stories on a daily basis then the Soccer Insider. I miss the good old days of when I would see like 15 new updates a day on the insider. I also think Goff has not asked the very important questions to Payne & Co. regarding the horrible situation of DC United. Of all times to take a vacation, couldn't he wait until the season was over. I'm not hating, I'm just saying. Also, I think it would be a great idea to finally be told the main reasons why a stadium is not being built from both perspectives (the team & DC gov't). Why wouldn't DC United just pay for the whole thing? It does not make any sense, and it leaves the fans such as us scratching our heads. Venting is over.

Posted by: RedskinAddict | August 16, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedskinAddict | August 16, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedskinAddict | August 16, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the triple post. Computer issues

Posted by: RedskinAddict | August 16, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

RedskinAddict: it started with the World Cup. Simple things were being missed, like game threads.

Posted by: Reignking | August 16, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Give the guy a break he was in SA posting 4 times a day for a month. Its August, everyone in DC takes a vacation and at this point the less DCU news we get the better.

Posted by: rockotodd | August 16, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Soccer by Ives? For serious?
That Homer wouldnt know a good ball story if it hit his tubby belly.
His site has gotten increaingly better now that he farms his writing out to others.
Goff is my home town scribe
Ives is a load of crap

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | August 16, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Plus, posting was almost non-existent during the WC. It was like an echo chamber.

Posted by: Reignking | August 16, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

RedskinAddict wrote:
"Not to personally attack Steven Goff, but does anyway else out there feel that Soccer Insider has gone downhill?"

Hmmm, not sure, but Redskins Insider definitely hasn't. You might try heading over there.

RedskinAddict wrote:
"I have slowly converted to Soccer by Ives."

Too slowly.

RedskinAddict wrote:
"Also, I think it would be a great idea to finally be told the main reasons why a stadium is not being built."

OK, here ya go: DC, MD & VA can't/won't contribute as much as Chang/DCU wants, and Chang/DCU can't afford to build it on their own.

Happy now?

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | August 16, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | August 16, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF - there's nothing mythical about the pledge, and it was not made to the team. It was made to over 20,000 fans at the stadium a week before the last election in order to secure votes.

Add to your list of problems in our fair city, politicians who pander for votes with no intent on delivering. Deserves more coverage.

Fans and voters deserve to know who was asking too much? The Mayor or the team?

Posted by: dsheon1 | August 16, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Soccer Insider has changed but I would not say it has gone downhill. I do miss the "Good Bad and Coyote ugly", but commenters can fill that in. The frequency of posts is probably a little lower but remember he is now also on twitter and facebook. All in all, SI is a good blog with plenty of stuff you hear here well before anywhere else.

I am grateful for the soccer coverage we have from Goffinho and the Post. I'd put the quality and quantity of soccer coverage here up against any English language new outlet in the country.

Posted by: Ron16 | August 16, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

@ Rand-al-Thor. I guess you aren't aware that there already is a mosque in the Pentagon. The probably don't need another one.

Posted by: seahawkdad | August 16, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

What was the pledge exactly? Did Fenty say that DC would pay for a stadium?

No, he did not. Honestly, the longer this situation goes on, and the worse DC United gets, and the more DC's fiscal situation deteriorates, the more some DC fans sound like whiny entitled teenagers.

There is no new development on the stadium issue. And until there is, further affiant sayeth not (I do solemnly swear).

Posted by: OWNTF | August 16, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I hate the twitter feed...because I can't see it at work :)

Posted by: Reignking | August 16, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

A goal scorer gets carded for taking of his shirt, but that Icelandic team does not for highly choreographed goal celebrations.

Politicians say what their audience needs to hear in order to get votes. To paraphrase JFK (no, the other one) "I was for the stadium before I was against it."

Seve has given us updates on the stadium, new signings, and coaches. It should be clear by now that Payne's "answers" to Steve's questions are non-committal, bland, and sometimes misleading. What purpose would it serve to ask him about anything - other than to raise blog hits and blood pressures?

I'm fine with building a stadium with a mosque on one side, a synagogue on another, a mandir on the third, and a cathedral on the fourth (the Driuds and Wiccans can worship on the grass). The religions can kick in money (they have lots of it) and concessions and stadium store will have a special tax-exempt status.

@grubbsbi: I asked about funding for education and public services and whether or not MoCo gets a proportionate return on the state taxes we pay.

@birdynumnum: you are a hero for hat comment - or a cheat.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 16, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Have I ever told y'all how much I love Ryan Giggs?

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | August 16, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Eh, I'll take 6th in our group in fantasy on espn...at least I fielded a full team of starters.

Posted by: Reignking | August 16, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

@Reignking: an excellent "Burn Notice" the other night.

@BaRRD: not lately, but many of us have long assumed that has been the case. What's not to like about the guy?

Freedom at home Thursday. @Fallschurch1, I'm happy to buy you a cold one so we can discuss my forthcoming book, "Right Wing: The Conservative Case for Soccer."

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | August 16, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Rand-al-Thor's team never has a libero.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 16, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I missed the game, was it any good? More importantly, was the music as awesome?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 16, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

And what do we think of Geovanni to San Jose?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 16, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

FIFA president Sepp Blatter says soccer's governing body will consider eliminating ties in all World Cup games.

Blatter said Saturday on Germany's Focus weekly that the dramatic change would make the tournament more interesting. He says the change could involve going to a shootout after 90 minutes of regulation or adding sudden-death overtime.

Posted by: Reignking | August 16, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Reignking: While the move to ties would make some games more exciting it would ruin the excitement for the last group games. What keeps most groups competitive is the ties in the first couple of games. I enjoy the last group day drama. Imagine no USA Algeria moments!! With a shootout we could see many groups with two teams at 6 points and two teams at 0 points. That would be lame.

I-270: Good questions, I was just saying it as a joke. But you probably knew that.

I would suggest all political talk move to Greg Sargent's blog.... Or this is going to be a long week.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 16, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

I would agree that Soccer By Ives has overtaken Soccer Insider in the last 6-12 months with breaking news and their video features, but the comments on this blog are priceless.

Posted by: billindmd | August 16, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: billindmd | August 16, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Billindmd... Your right that Ives' commentors suck. It is filled with irrational hysteria. Kinda like watching Foxnews. Oops, violated my own suggestion. In all seriousness I love this blog because a lot of you all offer great perspectives on the games I also watch. Ives has that at times but I consider this blog to be filled with more knowledgable and witty soccer fans. Plus we all love DC United.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 16, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

DCunited.com says free DCU hats to the first 5000 fans this Sunday.

Everyone who shows up is getting a hat! Extra hats to first 1000 at next USOC match!

Posted by: DCB23 | August 16, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Ives stories are a good read or at least better than real work. I do like his MLS-wide stories. The posts on the other hand make my head hurt. The SI posts on the other hand are a must read each day (or several times a day if at work).

Posted by: tcbannon | August 16, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Free Hat! Free Hat! Free Hat!

(are 5,000 going to be enough?)

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 16, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tcbannon | August 16, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 16, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Didn't mean the double post. Damn iPhone tricked me. If it wasn't for this blog I wouldn't have made it through the long days as a summer intern for the government. I am always a fan.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 16, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

So with three open roster spots, DC is turning players away? Just what the heck is the FO thinking?

Posted by: jason1551 | August 16, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

I love how every new name at Ives' blog must be the best new American prospect ever. Cap him! My favorite -- Danny Williams. I'm sure that there will be another flavor of the week soon.

Posted by: Reignking | August 16, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Reignking.... Your exactly right. The masses scream for any league two player who scores a goal, bashes adu, and apologize to the eurosnobs for any mls imperfection. Heck Ives fans wanted jemel Johnson to be a starter for bob but he can't even make the roster of the worst mls team. Yes, dc united is the worst team.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 17, 2010 1:08 AM | Report abuse

Fact that means nothing: Goff has more twitter followers than Ives and Grant Wahl, and that's even with Wahl getting the "certified account" logo usually used for athletes and celebs. Also, the only writer Don Garber follows? Grant Wahl.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 17, 2010 4:00 AM | Report abuse

Just got caught up on the KP-Jaime Q and A from alst Friday.

KP: "We don't really feel the record [3-13-3] is reflective of the way we have played."

Now we see the institutuional problem with DCU. They are living in a parallel universe. The Bizarro World.

Exactly what record would you propose that "is indicative of the way we played?"

Kasper preaches that this is a results business; the results speaks for themselves. Live by the results, die by the results.

In attempting to spin DCU's season this way KP is either the stupidest person on the planet, which he is far from, or he thinks we are.

Or he thinks Will is. Off that, Will needs to take a very hard look at who is running his team if they believe that the team is better than its results.

Posted by: mightymax | August 17, 2010 7:03 AM | Report abuse

FIOS announces changes.

If you ordered either the FiOS TV Premier or Essentials packages prior to January 17, 2010, the channels below will no longer be available in your TV package.

Soccer-related list:
ESPN Classic
ESPN Deportes
Galavision

In other words, FiOS wants you to subscribe to additional packages to watch La Liga and other futbol games.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 17, 2010 7:33 AM | Report abuse

I should add that the changes will take effect on or after September 23.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 17, 2010 7:36 AM | Report abuse

Did you all know that Goff is actually Joe Pesci from the classic movie "Gone Fishin'"?

Posted by: SexyOffender | August 17, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Watching the rebroadcast of the FCD last night on Comcast, I caught something unbelievable.

As the coaches were being introduced right before the first kick, Dave Johnson, veteran of 15 years as DCU's broadcaster, used the words, "the D. C. United."

Don't be surprised if he loses his job over this. KP has spent 15 years pounding into everyone's brain that the use of the article "the" is not allowed in the nomenclature of the club. On the bottom of all press releases is an advisory requesting that the media refrain from referring to the team as "The D. C. United," or "The United."

If KP took as seriously how is team is being managed as he does what the team is called, there might be some hope for this mess.

By the way, football lines are still visable.

Posted by: mightymax | August 17, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

"Or he thinks Will is."

I vote for this. It's not hard to envision discussion where KP took credit for all that has gone right with United without sharing the responsibility for that success with others, like Bruce Arena, a la KPs interview on the 96 post season video.

At some point here, Will needs to WTFU and realize he's got the wrong management team. We love ya Will. Come on bud, do the right thing and clean the penthouse suite. Reboot the hard drive. Bring in a president who will build a stadium and a technical director with a track record in our league for consistently finding talent.

Posted by: dsheon1 | August 17, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

@mightymax Why is he so against using "the"?

Posted by: SexyOffender | August 17, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

THE Kevin Payne!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 17, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Me psyched about the Estonian Meistriliiga dArby Tallinna FC Flora vs JK Sillamae Kalev?

I'll take the Tall Flowers over the the Silly Me's any day.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 17, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Sillamae is the new version of Fannie Mae.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 17, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Aris plays today, as does Besiktas -- two clubs that Americans have somewhat been linked to.

CL games...yawn, unless you are from Scandinavia.

Posted by: Reignking | August 17, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

What I heard is that Payne would say, "Well, it's not THE Manchester United, is it?"

Posted by: lgm6986 | August 17, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

According to a former PR flak (redundant), KP despised the other area DC teams, strongly jealous of their popularity, and so he wanted his beloved D. C. United to be referred to differently, unlike "The Skins," or "The Caps." He even wanted distance from the French reference, "Les Bullez."

Posted by: mightymax | August 17, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

To The or not to The - that is the question.
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of misappellations.
Or to issue PR releases against a sea of media
And, by opposing, not really change anything.
The Tragedy of Kevin Payne, Prince of DC United, William Shakespeare

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 17, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Ozil signed for 20MM euro by RM

Posted by: Reignking | August 17, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Now we see the institutional problem with DCU. They are living in a parallel universe. The Bizarro World.

Posted by: mightymax
-------------------------------------

That one line was the most troubling of anything I have heard him say. DCU's record and stats are quite clearly indicative of the way they've played; The are the worst team in MLS.

KP could learn something from Bill Parcells, who famously said, "You are what your record says you are."

DC United sure is.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | August 17, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I-270:

Brilliant.

Posted by: lgm6986 | August 17, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I would not be opposed to DCU cleaning out its roster and moving forward with Najar, Hamid, Pontius and other youngsters (under 25) and allowing Olsen to form them in his image. I think that would be a fun team to watch. Perhaps one somewhat aging #10, surrounded by guys who will fight for him.

That's a team I could get excited about, win or lose. Because even if they lose, I know a young, Olsen-like team will fight til the end.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | August 17, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

It looks like Cristian Castillo, along with Zelaya and Julio Martinez, have been loaned back to Alianza from Mexican 2nd-division Leon.

I really don't understand why Leon ever signed them...

Posted by: Reignking | August 17, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

"....allowing Olsen to form them in his image."

Rand-al_Thor, that's a lot of body hair.

Posted by: DCB23 | August 17, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Well in, DCB23!

Mourinho: The Special One

Olsen: The Hairy One

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | August 17, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Is anyone from the Washington Post ever going to post anything???

Posted by: VirginiaFan | August 17, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

The French Football Federation suspended Nicolas Anelka for 18 matches for his role in the France team's World Cup fiasco, and handed a five-match ban to former captain Patrice Evra on Tuesday.

The FFF's disciplinary commission also gave a three-match ban to Franck Ribery and a one-match suspension to Jeremy Toulalan. Eric Abidal, the fifth player summoned to the four-hour hearing, escaped any sanctions.

Posted by: Reignking | August 17, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Off topic -- if there even is a topic -- but a girl's gotta boast:

My Godson was accepted to IMG Academy. School starts in August but they want him to finish a national tournament in Colombia with his team, so he'll be there early September.

This kid is eligible to play for US, Spain, and Colombia and has already played for the Colombian U-17's. Let's start a movement to get him capped before anyone's even heard of him so we're ahead of all of the other blogs.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | August 17, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

If this were Ives' blog...

CAP HIM! CAn he playy left back??>!

Posted by: Reignking | August 17, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Hey...just had a thought. Is lobster roll kosher?

Posted by: soccerman | August 17, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Sir Alex Ferguson admits Manchester United's new signing Bebe was a mystery even to him, and that for the first time in 24 years at Old Trafford, he has purchased a player he has never seen in action.

It came as a real shock last week when United announced the signing of the 20-year-old, who had only joined Vitoria Guimaraes five weeks previously from third-tier side Estrela Amadora. Further intrigue followed when it emerged that Bebe had been homeless as a youngster.

Posted by: Reignking | August 17, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

@BRRD: Where is the online petitition?

Posted by: yankiboy | August 17, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

@BaRRD: That's great news!

Can you get him to train in Spain, but play for the U.S.?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | August 17, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Thor, unfortunately he wants to finish high school in the US and play for Spain. Not true. He wants to drop out of high school and go back to Atletico Madrid, but his parents have loftier ideas.

Better yet, Sir Alex Ferguson has never seen him play........

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | August 17, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

To train in Spain stays mainly in his brain.

By George, I think he's got it!

Posted by: OWNTF | August 17, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

If I use "the" before DC United, do I get fired from this blog. Off to the Grand Canyon; this thing better be good.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 17, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Carlos Ruiz nets one in injury time for Aris...

Posted by: Reignking | August 17, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Great news BaRRD. I'm e-mailing Gulati and Bradley right now.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 17, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Dammit grubbsbi. It's "Grand Canyon," not "the Grand Canyon."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 17, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Tottenham vs Young Boys, Comcast Sports Net, now on.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | August 17, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

For real news that maybe doesn't mean much for yall, the Beat fired their coach today.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 17, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Is that an AR walking along the end line?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | August 17, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Jacob: That is a surprise, given that the Beat had recovered from a miserable start. Although still in last place, they are definitely in contention for the fourth and last playoff spot, which they certainly weren't two months ago.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 17, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

NCAA women's play starts up this weekend. Virginia Tech, Maryland, Virginia, and WVU are all in the hunt:

Posted by: universityandpark | August 17, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Spurs getting trashed in Switzerland, 3-0 for Young Boys Bern in the first half-hour.

Support your local Champions League by watching TFC-Cruz Azul at 8 followed by Monterry-Saprissa at 10. Enjoy!

Posted by: rademaar | August 17, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

U&P

Yes, there was marked improvement, mainly with the arrival of Solo, Aluko, Ellertson (she needs to be on the WCQ squad, if not it's a travesty), and Miyama, but I believe their loss Sunday eliminated them from playoff contention.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 17, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I believe their loss Sunday eliminated them from playoff contention.
________________________________________

I don't believe they've been mathematically eliminated (each team has 4-5 games left):

Posted by: universityandpark | August 17, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

U&P

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 17, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Young Boys up 3-1 in 66th minute.

On comes Keane.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | August 17, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

If you're recording this game, it's worth the time to watch it.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | August 17, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Oh. My b. I suppose it's a little bit of a surprise, but the team isn't the most organized from week to week, even half to half, as sunday's defeat at Philly proved, jumping out 2-0 in 20 minutes before going down 3-2

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 17, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Re: FIOS changes

Yeah I got that impression when renewing our plan earlier this year. All the prices went up and GolTV and FSE were in the highest tier. And of course FS+ was priced separately. I passed on all of them. Quality not enough to justify expense.

Posted by: Pedalada | August 17, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Hope Goff has a good vacation. Why not have a dedicated soccer stadium in the DC area w/in easy walking distance of a metro stop preferably, for both DCU and the FREEDOM, have some double headers with both teams and increase attendance? Seems to me this would be a win-win for both teams. I would love a real soccer stadium with real seats with seat backs(not bench seating) and where we could have beer at our seats and would pay top $ for this!
FREEDOM plays the Chicago red stars Thurs night at the MD Soccer plex -kick off is at 7:30pm-GO FREEDOM!!!

Posted by: 10bestfan | August 18, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse