Matchnight: USA-Brazil

USA LINEUP: Howard; Spector, Bocanegra, Gonzalez, Bornstein; Bedoya, Bradley, Edu, Feilhaber; Donovan, Buddle. Subs: Guzan, Cherundolo, Goodson, Kljestan, Findley, Gomez, Altidore.

BRAZIL LINEUP: Victor; Dani Alves, Thiago Silva, David Luiz, Andre Santos; Lucas, Ramires, Ganso; Robinho, Pato, Neymar.

Kickoff: 8:11 p.m. ET.
TV: ESPN2, Univision.

With his 128th cap, Donovan ties Marcelo Balboa for third on the U.S. all-time list, trailing Cobi Jones (164) and Jeff Agoos (134). On the opposite end, Gonzalez is making his national team debut.

Your pregame, in-game and postgame observations are encouraged. Enjoy!

By Steve Goff  |  August 10, 2010; 7:09 PM ET
Categories:  Brazil , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: USA-Brazil
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sign of times: Vuvuzela ban at Meadowlands
Next: Wrapping up Brazil's 2-0 win over the USA

Comments

Man did I miss the line-up! Only got 7 of 11 right.

Posted by: soccerman | August 10, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Man did I miss the line-up! Only got 7 of 11 right.

Posted by: soccerman | August 10, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Gonzalez, Bedoya and Feilhaber! Oh that wacky Bob Bradley!

I like it tho....

(All that said, I don't care for the idea of flying guys in from Europe to ride the pine...even if it's unavoidable)

Posted by: JkR- | August 10, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

VuVuVuVuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Vuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
VuVuVuVuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 10, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

You've only come to see LUCAS!!

Lucas with the hat trick - 1 goal, 1 own goal, 1 studs up red card tackle on Landy Cakes....legend.

Posted by: TinyJordan | August 10, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Is this the trendy 4-2-3-1?

The Jimmy Choos of trendy formations??

Posted by: JkR- | August 10, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Noooooowwwwwwww, Buddle gets the start...what about in June?

Posted by: LAfanofSI | August 10, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

since they're not allowed in the New Meadowlands, I'd like to give a BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ shout out to: http://twitter.com/the_vuvuzela

BB to USSF: see I can play something other than a 4-4-2

Posted by: rightback | August 10, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Big surprise, Bornstein beaten on the goal...

Posted by: soccerman | August 10, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

in hockey, if the goalie gets body checked like that, a bloody fight will break out

Posted by: Chewbacca22 | August 10, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Dissapointed in the lack of discussion here....

This game is lively. I think we hae proved already that Bedoya, Bornstien, and Spector are out-matched (yea I know JB played well in the WC).

I love seeing Neymar and Pato up top. So much pace and skill the USA has been lacking for decades

Posted by: tphasbdp | August 10, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

@soccerman,

That goal was more on Spector and especially Bedoya than Bornstein. They didn't slow down the play. Bedoya wasn't close to challenging his man and gave up the service too easily. Bornstein was in a tough spot against a speedy attacker, especially when the cross was delivered behind him.

Oy. That second goal was like playing against 5 traffic cones. Wow. This lineup's making Gulati's eventual announcement less painful.

Posted by: benonthehill | August 10, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

In hockey, if there is a friendly match on t.v....nobody watches

Posted by: TinyJordan | August 10, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

hmmm.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 10, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Wow, the four attacker's for Brazil could live comfortably in Albert Haynesworth's dress slacks, but my word, what jogo bonito!

Posted by: JkR- | August 10, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Let's get 'Dolo and Carlos outside, slide Goodson in the middle with Omar.

Posted by: soccerman | August 10, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Pretty much underwhelmed by Bedoya...

Posted by: soccerman | August 10, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Pretty much underwhelmed by [insert US player name].

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 10, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Yellow card to Sideshow Bob.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 10, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Jozy is just not ready yet. He has not had enough games or goals to justify him as the top-striker.

The next 4 years need to be dedicated to the goal scorers I don't care who they are.

Posted by: tphasbdp | August 10, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Fidlay & Altidore put their best moves on...and beat themselves. Almost painful to watch.

Posted by: soccerman | August 10, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Jozy plays because there's no better option, and you should play with 11.

Agree we need better.

Posted by: JkR- | August 10, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Some one remind the U.S that its soccer not kickball!

Posted by: Ivanovich84 | August 10, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

We looked slow and bored. Not good at all.

I was a bit sickened to see all of those Brazilian fans in attendance. I wonder how many were actually Brazilian?

Posted by: Hoost | August 10, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Omar watched more than he played.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | August 10, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

That was a terrible performance by Michael Bradley. Shame on dad for not subbing him out.

Posted by: dcarmy | August 10, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcarmy | August 10, 2010 10:24 PM |
+++++++++++++++++++

Not sure I disagree, but for who?

Posted by: JkR- | August 10, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Glad I watched Hell's Kitchen.

Posted by: Reignking | August 10, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

has BB ever subbed his son out of a game? I can't think of it happening once.

Posted by: rightback | August 10, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

has BB ever subbed his son out of a game? I can't think of it happening once.

Posted by: rightback | August 10, 2010 10:37 PM

++++++++++++++++++++++++

His work rate has him mentioned in rumors for quite a few Euro clubs. Who did you want to see him replaced with?

Posted by: JkR- | August 10, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Kyle Beckerman?

Posted by: rightback | August 10, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Did Grace Jones just wrap up a Brazilian tour? Or Cameo?

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 10, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

that's a fawking laugh...
Beckerman?
Really?

Posted by: DadRyan | August 10, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

If Beckerman were fully fit tonight, he might have played, or at least suited up. US pool's not very deep... nothing funny about that.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 10, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Man, Guzan was awesome!

Posted by: BooThisMan | August 10, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Are you seriously saying that Kyle Beckerman should be ahead of Mike Bradley in the depth chart GOG? That's the joke that I was talking about. Sorry if you don't think it's funny, but the fakin' jamaican is nowhere near as competent as the coach's son.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 10, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Ok, so, we didn't look good. Matter of fact, it was legitimately very disappointing.

That said, Brazil put on a show, and now that I'm a couple hours removed, I'm glad I got to see that. Gonzalez look solid from where we were, and the second goal NEVER should have happened in my eyes, looked like they should have been able to play him offsides. Of course, I could be wrong as I was on the endline, maybe a replay will prove me wrong.

Oh well, good night on the whole, I suppose.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 11, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Just got back from the game, in a hotel.

Basically, it was worth it. I got to see some of the brilliant young talent at Brazil's disposal, I saw the core of a team that will take us into the next world cup, regardless of the coach, and I got to take in the atmosphere of a 77,000 showing.

However, not all was positive, of course. Our defense is still in need of help, Feilhaber can't play as a winger to save his skin, and Bob's coaching has taken us this far, and if this is your greatest ambition, than I don't know what to do for you.

Our squad that has played together in a world cup should Not be made fools of by a bunch of youth players who have not proven themselves as Brazilian superstars yet. We set up as we have always done, as we have for four years, guess what, they have figured it out. New coach, new start, no complacency.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 11, 2010 12:26 AM | Report abuse

DadRyan, no, I'm not saying that at all. The coach's son is one of the very few players (four, by my count) with his spot locked down regardless of who's coaching now or in the near future. Can't question the level of his club play or the form he's shown there. Same for Howard, Dempsey, and Donovan, and that's it. And among those, I'm pretty sure Bradley's the only one who will still be in his 20s in 2014.

One positive from tonight was a player who seems to be on the squad ONLY because of Bradley showed his class, and that was Guzan. If Bradley's really out of here, Guzan did more than well enough to stay in the mix.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 11, 2010 12:35 AM | Report abuse

Signs of change . . .

I asked a 1st generation Mexican kid today "Who's your favorite soccer team?"

His reply "The Fire."

Shock and Awe!!

I asked "Porque?"

He answered "Porque tiene Nery Castillo."

Posted by: delantero | August 11, 2010 1:05 AM | Report abuse

If Sacha Kljestan ever suits up for the Nats again, I will burn my jersey. Findley I'm willing to give a pass because he's relatively new to the squad, but Sacha's had plenty of games to prove himself at the international level.

Well, I guess if BB is retained, I'll be burning my jersey.

Posted by: wichne | August 11, 2010 3:52 AM | Report abuse

@delantero -- you mean 1st generation American, don't you?

Posted by: OWNTF | August 11, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Are you guys talking about anchor babies? Wait, my kids are anchor babies. Nevermind.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 11, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse