Jaime Moreno will not return to D.C. United in 2011

D.C. United's Jaime Moreno, the MLS career scoring leader who has played in the league since its launch 14 years ago, will not return to the club next season, United President Kevin Payne confirmed to the Insider on Thursday.

Moreno, 36, will continue playing for United this season and then move to a club in his native Bolivia or retire and consider an offer to remain with the D.C. organization, probably coaching in the youth program, Payne said.

"These things are never easy," Payne said. "Before the season, we agreed to talk in the summer and decide on the future. We wanted this to come out now so other teams, if they so choose, can recognize him and so our fans can say goodbye. We didn't think it would be appropriate after the season. He's deserving of a longer thank you."

The news did not come as a surprise. Moreno has started just five of 19 league matches and scored one goal in 688 minutes. United (3-13-3) is heading toward its worst season ever and seems certain of undergoing major changes this winter.

For more.....

Overall, Moreno has 132 goals and 102 assists in 335 regular season appearances and 292 starts, and was part of four MLS Cup championship teams. All but one season was spent with United, the exception being 2003 when he was with New York.

A few weeks ago, Moreno discussed his future with Post columnist Mike Wise.

In a statement posted on his Facebook account, Moreno said: "This is my second family. I have lots of friends here. I've made my life here and it's a very difficult decision to make but the day had to come."

He also commented on United's tumultuous season, saying: "This was not a very good year for the team. I did not have differences, but there were things that happened that shouldn't have happened [with the team this year]. Management saw that it was the right moment. It hurts me because it's not the way I wanted to say goodbye. I know I can contribute a little more. Unfortunately, I was not given the opportunity this year for 'X' reasons."

To United's supporters, he said: "You will always be in my heart."

By Steve Goff  |  August 12, 2010; 3:19 PM ET
Categories:  Bolivia , D.C. United , MLS  | Tags: D.C. United, Jaime Moreno
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend soccer TV listings: MLS, England, Mexico
Next: Moreno, Payne discuss D.C. United situation

Comments

Wow. Not much of a surprise, but end of an era, nonetheless.

So which jersey do I wear the rest of the season, my Olsen one or Moreno one?

Posted by: Juan-John1 | August 12, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Jaime, thank you for bringing so much to the league and making the Bolivian community proud!

Posted by: Springfie1d | August 12, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Muchas Gracia Jaime.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 12, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

If they can only do one thing right this entire year, I hope DC United does this right.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 12, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Jaime, you are not only an icon to United fans, but to the entire league, and we salute you.

Posted by: Section304 | August 12, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I regret only that I had to put 99 instead of just a 9 on the back of my DC replica kit. Jaime, you are always #9 to me.

Posted by: freeholdsouth | August 12, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Sad day no matter what.

Jaime, you will not be very easily replaced on this team. Or in this league.

I say we put him in the next time we are awarded a PK just to let him up his goal total :-)
Assuming we ever get close enough to goal this year to ever be awarded a PK of course.....

Posted by: dcufan | August 12, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Break the rules and put him the the Hall of Tradition NOW.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 12, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I agree with I-270. Put him in the Hall of Tradition during the last home game of the regular season and start him. He deserves it - let him get a whole night of adulation from the fans!

It's not like the team is going to make the playoffs anyway. This will give something for the fans to look forward to -and if it is advertised correctly, it should be a big crowd.

Posted by: isaac101 | August 12, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Jaime - we cannot thank you enough for your contribution to the club over your career. You will rightfully hang in the rafters of whatever location this group calls home in the future and most of us will always proclaim you as a cornerstone for why we supported this club. May you have success in any future endeavor and it will be a long time before anyone fills your place on the pitch. MLS and DC United are forever indebted to your contributions.

DC United - El Diablo. Eddie Pope. Jeff Agoos. Ben Olsen. Jaime Moreno. Ritchie Williams. I think this officially closes the book on the first 15 years of DC United. We won some trophies. We've had some great years, some oh-so-close years, some frustrating ones, and some embarrassing years.

Let's assess the reality right now. We have an unsettled ownership situation, an unsettled stadium situation, two executives who cleaned up pre-2002, an unsettled coaching situation, and a roster with a couple of bright prospects, some serviceable parts, and nothing resembling a nucleus to build around. There's not an engine that needs some peripheral parts.

I still think more than 75% of the club's issues become less damaging with a positive stadium announcement. However, leadership and direction at all levels needs as much of an update as anything as well.

So, as Jaime takes his victory lap on perhaps the worst team in the club's history, I'm going to hold out hope that the year will end with a DC based stadium announcement, a new GM, and either Bob Bradley or another credible and committed manager coming in to build a roster over two years and attempt to bring DC United not just back to the glory we all uphold but to the new standard that MLS and CONCACAF require.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | August 12, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Ballack pulled a Terry.

Jaime would never do that.

Posted by: Reignking | August 12, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Sad day. Hopefully the team and Jaime will make a big formal announcement and promote Jaime's achievements for the rest of the season.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 12, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Break the rules and put him the the Hall of Tradition NOW.

Posted by: I-270Exit1
=================

And on the last home game of the year, all soda, beer, hot dogs and peanuts should be .99. Each.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | August 12, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Sorry I meant to put a question mark next to Agoos' name as I'm not sure that he was Jaime's victim on that day.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 12, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Break the rules and put him the the Hall of Tradition NOW.

Posted by: I-270Exit1
=================

THIS...

Posted by: Shanoni | August 12, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I got 99 problems but Moreno aint one...

So whos going to hit play on the foo fighters song...

=)

Moreno is a legend

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 12, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Agree with I-270. Can't say enough about his service. I still remember being a young kid watching his classy touches and wishing I could be half as good as him. Now I am a young adult and still wish the same.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 12, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I guess the writing has been on the wall.

Bummed that I will be out of the country and will miss the last match of the season. :-(

Thanks Jamie! You've always been a class act all the way.

Posted by: fedssocr | August 12, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

If Jaime doesn't start this Saturday night wearing the captain's band, LOUD SIDE! will be pissed.

Posted by: BDR232 | August 12, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

VA BLUE BLOOD wrote:

We have an unsettled ownership situation, an unsettled stadium situation,

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood

we do NOT have an unsettled ownership situation - will chang owns the team free and clear. He is looking for additional partners - but that is not unsettled.

We do NOT have an unsettled stadium situation. We have a stadium for the foreseeable future. It might not be the nicest one or most profitable situation, but we have one.

The poor play on the field is due primarily to the players playing poorly and a lesser extent to coaching and selection of talent. It has nothing to do with the stadium in which they play. Heck, if a stadium affected play we would have won in all the new stadiums (stadia?) and not lamenting this season.

other than that, I like your post

Posted by: Section107 | August 12, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Jaime for not only what you have done for DC United, which in itself if vast and most impressive, but also for what you did for MLS. Today we have DP's and big names associated with taking MLS to the next level, but without guys like you there would be no MLS for these big names to come to and take to the next level.

You are Mr. DC United, you are the example, the gold standard for all who will wear our shirt. When future players put on our colors I hope they feel the the pride and aspire to emulate high standards that the likes of you have set for this club through sweat, blood, pain and the never-say-die fire that beats in the heart of a true Champion.

Thank you Jaime Moreno. We love you and you will forever be in our hearts, our chants, our stories, our pride and most importantly OUR TRADITION.

Thank you, Mr. DC United.

VAMOS UNITED!!

VAMOS JAIME MORENO the legend!!!

Posted by: Kosh2 | August 12, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I was there that night Jaime took a stroll through the left side of the US defense. Agoos was the final victim, but I swear Jaime took that almost end to end so Goose wasn't solely to blame.

It would have been nice to see Jaime go out with a better team, but frankly it is time. He has been my favorite United player since the day he got here, and as much as I'd like to see him stick around as a super-sub, it makes no sense whatsoever.

Jaime -- you will be missed.

Posted by: torrey151 | August 12, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

"Who else was at RFK when speedy young Jaime torched the US defense (Agoos) back before he signed with DC?"

Me. Very memorable game...though I certainly didn't think at the time that he'd be joining DC United!

Posted by: CDRHoek | August 12, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I, too, saw that run down the far flank. Glad we got to know him better!

Posted by: billq1 | August 12, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

If I remember right, the goalkeeper threw the ball 50 yards on a rope to Jaime's feet at midfield. After beating Goose, he megged Friedel at the near post.

More importantly, though, was Jaime's influence on the Black and Red when he arrived midway through '96. It was as if Marco said: "Jaime, you complete me."

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | August 12, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

My favorite moment was, must have been 3 seasons ago. Playing against New England, back when they were undefeated, and Jaime has the ball on the left touchline with two defenders on him. And he just scooped the ball defly between them, took the ball parallel to goal, got Reis to commit, buried it.

One of the classiest goals I'll ever see. THE classiest player I've ever seen, even in defeat. We'll all miss you Jaime.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 12, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Jaime thank you for being such a huge part of why I love DC United.
I haven't been around as long as many of these folks, but you and Benny made it all make sense. I wouldn't have become the nut that I am today without your incredible influence.
I hope the club stays in DC and you find your way back into the inner workings of United after the dust settles.

Aloha Jaime!

Posted by: DadRyan | August 12, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

@dadryan. Jamie is one of the reasons I became the nut I am today too. I went from skeptical youth to diehard, dc scarf wearing in flagstaff. Benny needs to get Jamie into the coaching staff.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 12, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Moreno: one of the greatest DCU and MLS players ever. You will be missed.
Managment: Get us another Moreno and another Etchevery and we can build a good team around them.
Do not count on a new publicly funded stadium anytime soon. Focus on roster improvement and the fans will make the franchise very profitable even at RFK.

Posted by: lemovs1 | August 12, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Jaime should start and be captain of DC United every game for the rest of the season.

Posted by: rightback | August 12, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

I too was at the Bolivia v US game when Jaime blazed up the field and scored. He gained control of the ball in the US half of the field when the US was dominating possession and look like they would score any moment. I don't remember how he got the ball, whether by goalie throw or the ball just came to him. That said, I was sitting in about section 316 or 317 and he got possession nearer to that area then to mid-field. I have still never seen anyone so fast on the dribble.

Posted by: rtm1 | August 12, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

If the DC players had half of Moreno's brain, they would be contending...his experience should be tapped by the DC org.

Posted by: juke2 | August 12, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: juke2 | August 12, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: juke2 | August 12, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I mistyped the section I was sitting in. It was section 114 or 113.

Posted by: rtm1 | August 12, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

If the DC players had half of juke2's persistence.....

Posted by: fischy | August 12, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

As DC United fans we cling dearly to our storied history and tradition. HELL, tradition is embroidered on our kits! With Olsen retiring last November, and Moreno moving on, the last remnants of our golden era are now gone. The club's recent struggles make our tradition of excellence all the more nostalgic.

Jamie is pure class. Vamos united!

Posted by: invncbl | August 12, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

We can post tributes here...and we can pay tribute in person by showing up and supporting Jaime and DCU for the rest of this season.

Posted by: DCB23 | August 12, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

VAMOS JAIME, VAMOS BOLIVIA y VAMOS UNITED!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 12, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

I fell in love with Jaime when I was 16 and I will love him forever. To me, Jaime is what soccer is supposed to look like. Especially the blond tips :)

Posted by: sec133row5 | August 12, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

To Jaime, one of the greatest players ever to play in U.S professional soccer. I imagine hoards of young players in the area trying to emulate your confidence on the ball. I sure hope so, because it will mean a better national team in the long run. What a class act you are Jaime, eres un heroe para DC.

Thanks a lot man!

Posted by: martyb1 | August 12, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

My daughter was 10 and my son was 9 when we first saw Jaime Moreno. Strange, I feel old, and I feel as if it were just yesterday. A quality player and a classy guy. It was always worth the price of admission just to see him.

Posted by: rcdwriting | August 12, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

A uniquely brilliant and loyal player who can make a great contribution to the organization in the future.

Posted by: KRIKET | August 13, 2010 1:37 AM | Report abuse

This United F>O> is worthless. They hire a coach who was in over his head just as he was in KC. When Moreno leaves the CORE fan base goes with him--if the team draws more than 5,000 fans per game next don't be surprised. It is amazing they did NOT EVEN ask him to work with Ben Olson as co-coaches and next season make Moreno the coach. He certainly deserves to be considerd for the head coach job. It is insulting to offer him a job coaching youth teams--that should be Olson's next assignment. It appears the team is taking actions to try to get out of town. The teams record and drop of tickets sold --the lack of action on the stadium sends a strong message that this STORIED team's F.O. actions certainly leads one to think "adios United" WHAT A CRYING SHAME> United fan should give the F.O. hell and scream and holler and LET THAT IDIOT K. PAYNE know how we feel. SAVE UNITED FANS-- UNITE FOR UNITED.

Posted by: vergens2 | August 13, 2010 2:27 AM | Report abuse

Jaime, you are my hero.

You gave me someone to look up to when I grew up playing soccer.

God bless and can't wait for your return to the black and red.

Vamos Jaime and Vamos United!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Break the rules: automatic insertion into the hall of tradition and name new stadium/field after the great Jaime Moreno.

Posted by: niknakdcu | August 13, 2010 3:46 AM | Report abuse

Did Bob Bradley really just quit the US team?

Posted by: Wendell_Gee | August 13, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Re: Bradley.

Interesting, but this could be just another of those endless rumors and gossip items that appear daily in the English football media. Most never pan out. There is no source given for the Bradley story.

Just as interesting is Brad Friedel being quoted elsewhere as saying he's not heard Bradley's name being tossed about inside the Villa organization.

Posted by: runningcloud | August 13, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

ESPN/Soccernet is taking it one step further:
USA boss Bob Bradley has resigned from his post and is set to be named the new Aston Villa manager, according to talkSPORT.

Posted by: Reignking | August 13, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Faithful servant to the club. Deserved of all these good words.

But I will be the bad guy - he should have retired two, maybe three seasons ago. Watching him crawl up and down the field the last few years has been painful and did no justice to speed demon of the '90's.

Thank you Jaime.

Posted by: badhairday | August 13, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Classy player, classy guy. He's earned the right to do whatever he wants, but I hope he sticks with the organization.

Posted by: jsm91 | August 13, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Thank you Jaime for 15 years of great memories. You played the game the way it should be played, with class, poise and a killer finishing touch.

You will be missed.

Vamos United!

Posted by: Golden_Child | August 13, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Make sure you all join those fantasy leagues...

Posted by: Reignking | August 13, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

@Juan-John1: You gotta wear your Olseno jersey. Number 94.

Posted by: Matte | August 13, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Unless he also retires, Frankie Hejduk will be the last MLS original.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 13, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Jaime, thank you for everything you've done. I have been a United fan since 2005 and you were always my favorite player. I wish you luck in whatever you do and can't wait until you come back to DC United and have your son rip up the field for us. You won't be forgotten. You are the real Mr. DC United. We love you.

PS: I would wear an Olseno jersey. Good suggestion Matte.

Posted by: Konoha7 | August 13, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Being the Eurosnob that I am, I didn't attend a DCU match until 2004 and that was to see some phenom named Freddy something or other. Somehow I doubt there would be this much outpouring of respect, sadness, and --I'll go ahead and say it--love when he hangs up his boots. If anyone notices.

To me, Jaime is the Ryan Giggs of DC United: so tied up in the history of the team as to be synomonous. Vamos Moreno!

Godspeed, Jaime.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | August 13, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Make that: synonymous

There's no spell check on this interweb thing.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | August 13, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

@I-270: does Brian McBride count?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | August 13, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Jaime has always been my favorite.

I hope United take care of him and use him in the organization in the future. Youth coach director would be great since he knows how a good one (Tahuichi?) is run.

He was always the player I pointed my kids to as the perfect role model. His style, grace, talent, composure, etc.

We all noticed how the game was different when he was on the field. He slowed play, brought control, added creativity, and he could do things that only a handful of others could.

Jaime, I thank you and salute you and hope and pray you will stay with United.

God Bless you and your family in the future.

Posted by: RRP1 | August 13, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Oops. Forgot McBride.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 13, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I remember his goal in the 2004 final against NE; my recollection is him stepping back, seeing that they had given him way too much space, and sending in a soaring shot; as if to say, "young'uns, you don't give me that much space . . . "

Posted by: fallschurch1 | August 13, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Whenever I see a road sign that says "Steel Plates Ahead" I think of McBride, who should wear a shirt that says "Steel Plates In Head"

The man has had more head collisions than a safety dummy at USDOT.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | August 13, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

fallschurch1,

The other great thing about that goal in the Eastern Conference Final was how he feigned cross to draw Reis off his line, then tucked it in near post. Beauty.

Posted by: spidergoose | August 13, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

We will miss you, Jaime. I remember the first couple of D.C. United games I attended in '96.....you were the best player on the field then and we have been lucky to watch you play and grow, and lead us to four championships over the years.

Vamos Jaime!!

Posted by: Smitty68 | August 13, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Jaime Moreno is (and has always been)
a class act that should be a model for all MLS players. He will be sorely missed, but we can all thank him for his contribution to DCU, by showing up at the games !!

Posted by: patrick18 | August 13, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I'll never forget how Jaime had that extra gear, just accelerating past defenders with the ball tied to his feet somehow. Or how he and El Diablo used to juggle the ball around in the opponents' penalty box, just playing with the defenders before tucking one past them. Jaime Moreno is, and always will be, The Boss, El Jefe.

Posted by: Groff | August 13, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse