Poll: MLS designated players

Seven designated players have signed with MLS clubs this summer, joining Landon Donovan, David Beckham, Juan Pablo Angel, Freddie Ljungberg and Julian de Guzman. Vote for who you believe will make the most notable impression on the league:

By Steve Goff  |  August 3, 2010; 2:14 PM ET
Categories:  MLS  | Tags: MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United news & notes
Next: Clint Mathis' retirement is official

Comments

Not sure of the value of this poll. Hard to believe anyone other than Thierry Henry won't be the consensus pick, for impact both on the field and off.

Posted by: jofij | August 3, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I hate being jealous of the Red Bulls but as if it wasn't bad enough that the former laughing stock of the league now has the best stadium they also go and sign one of my all time favorite players. It's so hard to get excited about DC United when you look at our roster and stadium compared to everyone else in the league anymore. Man I wish WE had signed Henry.

Posted by: CapitolHill1 | August 3, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

CapitolHill1,

You summed it up perfectly and I'm quite certain you speak for a significant percentage of United's supporter base. Very depressing indeed.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | August 3, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Are we really considering Boskovic as a DP? Did anyone really hear of him before he was signed? Will he really make an impact on DCU? Is he really even making enough money to be considered a DP?

-from a very frustrated and annoyed DC United fan. Where is our Henry? :(

Posted by: kris77 | August 3, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

CapitolHill1 -- I wonder if Will Chang and Kevin Payne realize your sentiment is rising among all DCU fans. The drop off in attendance at RFK this season should be a warning signal .... I'm more excited about matches at PPL Park and RBA than I am about crappy RFK.

Posted by: jofij | August 3, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Forgot to mention I saw my first Henry/Red Bull jersey at the Beat game Sunday.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 3, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

This franchise is in ruins. Think about this for a moment: Imagine if we too received Henry, Marquez, and Angel. Stack us up with NY with the same (DP) players and I have to think NYRB are still superior. The talent level across the board is horrible here. It will certainly take more than signing a few big name DP's, though, it would be a giant step in the RIGHT direction.

Posted by: Hoost | August 3, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I voted for Henry, but think Marquez will also be a significant influence in New Jersey. Red Bull may very well finally start drawing in some fuller crowds if these stars can stay healthy and not fizzle out when it counts. It sucks as a United fan to sit here watching it happen, but for the future of the league it's great.

Poor United really is feeling more and more like my beloved Seattle Super Sonics. When I left Emerald City no one believed the team would be moved. Two Springs ago at a tailgate in Charleston no one really believed United could be moved either. I remember rubbing a couple folks the wrong way making a comparison to the Sonics then. Not so crazy now.

I think Branko is plenty good enough to be a help, and don't really need the big name for me to be stoked on our DP situation. He had an awesome free kick attempt last match that rivaled anything I've seen anyone attempt since before Gomez left the first time. I still fear that some of the heads of state in the FO are delusional at this point or are personally trying to alienate some of the fan base to facilitate an easier move.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 3, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

All of the above, except maybe Nkufo, who looks a little pokey to me.

Let's hope they make an impact, apart from demonstrating that, for the moment, there's money to be made here.

It looks like the teams with the most DPs are the ones who can afford them, but even with the cap relief, a team with 3 DPs can only pay its other 21 players a little under $70k apiece. That's a little worrisome.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 3, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I voted for Branko Boscovic, OF COURSE!!!!

He is an incredibly average player from a 3rd-rate european backwater! Since he has come to DCU he has done NOTHING!

How can he NOT lead DCU to playoff glory, and take the league by storm?

Posted by: Ron16 | August 3, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

-from a very frustrated and annoyed DC United fan. Where is our Henry? :(

Posted by: kris77

-----------------------------

You don't follow United very much, do you? Branko IS a DP.

DP status is not only used for super high profile signings like Beckham and Henry. It can and should sometimes be used for quality players who could not be signed by a MLS team even though he wouldn't require a multi-million dollar contract.

The jury is still out on Branko, but I am optimistic. We could have Henry playing on DCU right now and we'd still suck. "IT TAKES MORE" than one player.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | August 3, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

CapitolHill1,

=======================

Doesn't speak for me. I despise Marquez.

And I wouldn't claim to speak for a significant percentage of any team, but I doubt I'm alone among US supporters in that sentiment.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 3, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

half full:

Bronco > Gallardo

Posted by: OWNTF | August 3, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how different thing would be today if we had landed Veron a few years ago instead of Gallardo. That might have been the turning point -- turning of course -- right into disaster.

Posted by: rightback | August 3, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Branco

Branco roughly = Castillo (not Nery).

He is just a continuation of the musical chairs of mediocity.

Posted by: Ron16 | August 3, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Henry, not only is he a stellar finisher, he is also a creator as shown in the 2-2 tie in Houston over the weekend.

Posted by: Dash10 | August 3, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Give Branko a break, he's only played a few matches. Look at David Ferreira; took him 3/4 of last season to get adjusted. Ferreira came on strong near the end of the season and he's on fire again this season.

Branko is probably not used to the heat and surpised of the crappy players surrounding him :-)

Posted by: Charisma_Man | August 3, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | August 3, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

@ PrincessBuster

I do follow United, too much actually. I know Boskovic is considered a DP, but he's not DP worthy. I'm upset at this whole organization right now and pretty jealous of every other MLS team. What do DCU fans have to look forward to? A move to B-more? we have nothing and the picture just keeps getting worse and worse.

Posted by: kris77 | August 3, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I've given Branko a few games, and must say I'm disappointed. He shows little effort and only marginally better vision than our other options in center mid. (Watch the replays and you'll see him doing a lot of walking waiting for the ball).

Maybe if he had premier level talent running at forward (Angel, Donovan, etc.) he would look a lot better. The broken record turns, but we have a bunch of above average role players that need a BRILLIANT playmaker to lead them, and Branko is not that guy.

Posted by: SoccerVA | August 3, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

It's the management, stupid.

Posted by: dsheon1 | August 3, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I like what Ive seen from Branco so far. I like how many posters have said "I've given him a few games and...I think he stinks", the guy has had 1 start, and a couple appearances at the end of some games while he works in to shape. give the guy a chance to gel with his teammates and get in to playing form. its not like there is someone else on the roster we are waiting for to break out.

Posted by: VTUnited | August 3, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

It is mind boggling to me DC United officials are not banking on the success of the WC in SA to try to convince DC government officials of the need of a new stadium in DC.
I am a soccer coach in the DC area and have pretty much stop caring for MLS since DC United is still struggling to get a new stadium. I went to SA for the WC and I must tell you, no real soccer fanatic is expecting European type matches from MLS but the atmosphere at a state of the art soccer stadium more than make up for that. Yet, in a time when FIFA officials are coming to visit venues in the U.S. before deciding who to award the 2018 and 2022 WC, DC does not seem interested in a new stadium, much less in getting into a piece of potential WC action. That is so sad if you ask me, because a potential WC final in DC is more than an attractive proposition to anyone.
I don't know about you but I am not really interested in having games played at FEDEX field as American football fields are smaller in dimensions than soccer fields. Beside soccer specific and European style stadiums gives the fans the impression that you are right on top of the action on the pitch.
Also, as long as DC U continues to play at run down RFK, Designated players who can have a big impact in this league and who can decide where to play in MLS will NOT come to play in DC either with this stadium as their selling point. Washington DC is a very attractive city to live and play for, and Robert Pires who recently decided against "less attractive" Philadelphia with a new stadium would undoubtedly have played in DC with a new stadium with less effort. But it is the latter we don't have, and sadly DC United is losing potential fans because of it too.
If DC United move to Ashburn VA or to Baltimore like they are rumored to potentially do eventually, they will not only lose the few remaining support on my part, but a few hundreds more fans too in the process.

Posted by: JeanJak | August 3, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Other

Omar Bravo, Kansas City

We won't have confirmation until August 6th if he is coming to KC this season or next season but either way he is exactly what they need to strengthen their attack.

Posted by: Southeasterner | August 3, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Not a single comment about the coaching staff.The team is in last place halfway through the season. Anybody thinks they should answer some of the unpleasant questions?Remember the Wizards?

Posted by: christosbar58 | August 3, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

gimme a break. the Wizards still suck without him dude.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 3, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

So far so good for A Fernandez.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 3, 2010 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Thierry Henry will have the most impact on the league. He'll give more visibiity, is a great media presence (multiple languages including Spanish and English), will help bring in the Mexican fans and media and is a flashy player who will sell tickets.

But Rafa Marquez will have the most impact on the field. NYRB didn't need another goal scorer. They did need a stablizing influence in midfield and central defense. And they got that with Marquez. If they signed marquez but not Henry, they're be a strong contender to with the MLS Cup. Henry but not Marquez, they're a team that has trouble pitching a shutout or holding a lead, a team that can fall apart at key moments. So Marquez may give them an MLS Cup while Henry helps the league and sells tickets.

BTW, don't underestimate the impact Marquez has with Mexican fans. He's still in his prime, wildly popular in Mexico, a El Tri Captain. If he sticks around a couple of years as his contract implies, he may ultimately have a big impact on the league as well.

Posted by: JoeW1 | August 4, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JeanJak | August 3, 2010 5:57 PM
__________________________________________

Not so. When a soccer pitch is laid down on one of these fields, it is the same 75-yard-wide pitch as anywhere else in the field. Any stadium that is too narrow for a 75-yard-wide pitch would not be used for international play, and certainly would not be considered as a venue for World Cup matches.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 4, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Make that "anywhere else in the world."

Posted by: universityandpark | August 4, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse