Shanosky signing official, United tensions grow

Tuesday's outing at D.C. United practice wouldn't fit better into any other season than this.

First, United midfielder Santino Quaranta and goalkeeper coach Mark Simpson got in a shouting match (and near scuffle) during training. Midfielder Kurt Morsink had to pull Quaranta away while Branko Boskovic pulled Simpson back in order to keep the two from coming to blows. It was pretty heated. Quaranta promptly left training.

Then, after practice, Examiner writer Craig Stouffer and I found that our locked cars had been broken into and our laptops stolen...a mere 15 yards from the open gate to the practice field where players, coaches, staffers and reporters mingled.

Gotta love RFK. I asked Ronnie Raccoon (RFK_Raccoon) if it was him, he denied it via twitter.

On to the real news...

On Monday, United officially announced the signing of Academy player Conor Shanosky, who sat out his senior season at Potomac Falls in Sterling after helping the Panthers to the state final as a junior (they lost in a heartbreaker in the fourth overtime).

The defensive center midfielder's decision to leave his former club team, Great Falls Elite, and sit out high school to focus on D.C. United paid off immensely.

It's been a meteoric rise for Shanosky, who had a huge spring and earned his way onto the U.S. under-20 national team roster, including starting twice and appearing as a sub once at the Milk Cup, and now signing on with the first team.

"It was crazy," Shanosky said. "It was actually a very tough decision to leave Great Falls. I always wanted to come to D.C. United but I was very close with my former club team in Great Falls. I decided to come here and I've never looked back. It's been a great experience in the Academy, I had a great year there, had some experience with the national team this year and things have just moved so fast. When I first joined the Academy I didn't think I'd be here today. I'm just so happy to be here and it's a dream come true for me."

Shanosky is a natural defensive center midfielder with great composure and nice size (6 feet 4, 185-pounds). He's been worked some at center back but will likely be developed in the midfield.

"He's a good talent," interim coach Ben Olsen said. "He's obviously a central midfielder, a guy that makes pretty good decisions for a kid his age. There is obviously a lot that needs to be taught to him, but he's got some great tools, he's physical, he's got the size for this level. We're very excited to see him progress over the next year."

Other quick notes:

* Midfielder Andy Najar was not at practice today because of personal issues. "No big deal," Olsen said. Forward Pablo Hernandez was held out after experiencing headaches following United's 3-1 loss to Dallas. Goalkeeper Bill Hamid sat out during mini-scrimmages in training because of what Olsen called "stomach issues."

* As to the Quaranta-Simpson issue, here's what Olsen had to say: "When you push the guys it's a gray area. There is a thin line between being very competitive and going a little overboard. But it happens, that's normal. I'd be worried in a lot of ways if that didn't happen. Some of the best teams I've ever been on had those as a weekly occurrence. Look, it's not easy. This is not an easy stretch for anybody in this organization. We're human and we feel this as well. So a good day, a good day, I'm happy with the way the guys responded after another very disappointing loss."

By Paul Tenorio  |  August 17, 2010; 3:49 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gone fishin' .....
Next: USA-Poland Set for Oct. 9

Comments

Ban him for 18 games.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | August 17, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

grateful for the post; sorry to hear about the cars and gear...

Ouch at the twitter post...

Posted by: cray | August 17, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Blame Fenty.

Posted by: Reignking | August 17, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Is Tino our third string keeper while Quinn is out?

Posted by: SexyOffender | August 17, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

What'd Simpson say to Tino?
Hey Baltimore! You couldn't hit the side of an aircraft carrier!

Posted by: DadRyan | August 17, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Tenorio, you and Stouffer getting ripped really stinks. Broad daylight. So close to the gates of the training field. Talking about shady.

Mad props to you for managing to joke about it because I sure couldn't. Had the car window smashed a few times and it is a hassle.

Simpson better not get to feelin' too froggy.

He don't want no Santino. Nuh, uh. Santino brings it Highlandtown style. Simpson is a tough guy but you best not sleep on a Baltimore Boy or the GK Coach will find himself looking up aty the sky while laying on his back.

Don't let the Man keep you down, Tino! He don't know how we East B'more boys be holdin' it down, kid!

Hmmm.

Does anyone think that this will be like an NFL training camp fight where it alledgely actually brings the team together?

Benny seems to be pretty calm about the whole thing.

Posted by: yankiboy | August 17, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Shoulda let 'em go. One or the other woulda learnt the hard lessons of running your mouth. And my guess is that coach doesn't really wanna be f'g with Q.

Has Coach Olsen completely lost the tiller, or is this part of his plan to feisty things up a bit? I suspect the former, sadly. Either way, it ain't good news.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 17, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Expect more of this as players are asked to do what they aren't capable of. As has been noted in other posts, Quaranta peaked some time ago and I understand DC shopped him around the league a while back and got absolutely no sniffs. I feel for guys who are being asked to be La liga players with USL skills by a guy (Kasper)who is delusional about his abilities to "spot" talent. I feel the same for the coaches (except for Ashton who is Kasper's toady) past and present, who have been unfairly tasked with making a purse out of a sow's ear. In fact, it now seems to be a DC United "tradition" to dump on those who created, or were part of the great DC United teams (Onalfo, Kelderman, Simpson, Benny, Jaime)and either hold them responsible for current failures or charge them with fixing it without the necessary resources.
The longer Kasper and his ilk stay, the more pronounced this rot will become. There are no secrets in this league and soon DC will be a place where no player or coach will want to come, whatever the money that is offered.
Either Wil Chang will grow some and get rid of Kasper or he will hang on until the league gets to 20 teams and he can sell the franchise to St. Louis and recoup some of his investment.

Posted by: Ruthie1 | August 17, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Oh please. Q was getting meaningful time with the National team last summer before he got seriously injured. Scored a nice goal at RFK too.

He's one of the most skillful players on the DC roster, maybe the most skillful. Him or Najar in my book. (Not counting 99). May be that's not saying much, but to call him USL level is absurd, and marks you (not Kaspar) as delusional.

Q's struggling, for sure. But he's trying to do too much, and deserves better than the crap he's getting on this site, and by the sounds of it, from the coach. I doubt Olsen is in his face though.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 17, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Ruthie; I think DCU already is a place where players do not wnat to come. Friends of mine who are current MLS players tell me that no one wants to go there because Kasper is completely not a man of his word, regularly lying to them about contract terms, bonuses, and incentives, and the stadium situation is so poor.

That part of it goes beyond what RFK is like now, that is, a place with deteriorating conditions (no hot water, infestation, crappy neighborhood), but because so many nicer places are being built, those are the locales that players find attractive.

Makes sense when you think about it: Who wouldn't want to play in Tronto? Might be the best atmosphere in MLS. Even San Jose, as small as that place is, is a more lively place for the players and certainly a better day-to-day situation. New York, Philly, Chicago? no contest.

DCU's situation has deteriorated on so many levels that only a complete scorch of the earth will cure it.

Posted by: lgm6986 | August 17, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

@OWNTF: Thank you for bringing some perspective to R!'s comments about Tino. Seriously...

Posted by: yankiboy | August 17, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I blame the dominos noid, ruins everything!!!!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 17, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Seems like since the Esky concussion way back when, things started to deteriorate. I wonder if that had not happened, along with Gros and Namoff, how things would have turned out.

Some real talent exists on both the upcoming U-18 and U-16 teams. May take a few years and some very hard decisions, but things could really turn around. I hope it happens here...

Posted by: teamn | August 17, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF
He ain't better than Adderly and Adderly plays USL, and I reiterate; DC shopped him and no one wanted him, for whatever reason. Look, I admire the guy, and he has his days but in the main, he doesn't make very good decision and he is only making it worse by pressing (as you suggest)

Sorry, but it is what it is.

Posted by: Ruthie1 | August 17, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

That's the best post I've read from you, lgm. Good stuff, and good insight. I can certainly see why players would not want to play at RFK, particularly when compared to the other MLS facilities.

As for Santino/Simpson, I like Benny's response. Peer pressure can be a good thing. Perhaps it's a sign that the players care about what's going on.

Sorry, OWNTF... I'm a glass-half-full guy! Speaking of which... Thursday's cold beverage at the BeerGarden is on me!

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | August 17, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Ack, I agree with lgm, too...

Posted by: Reignking | August 17, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

That's it for me for a couple weeks, lad and ladettes. I'm off to the home of football -- the Old Trafford to see the United play the West Ham. Come on you Reds!

Back in time for the USOC game at rat, raccoon, and robber infested RFK. Vamos (DC) United.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | August 17, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Alright, I'll say it: Chances Najar's "personal issue" was a citizenship test of some sort?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 17, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

My buddy and I have had 6 grills stolen from the parking lot over the last several years. I would leave the laptop in the trunk from here on out.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | August 17, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

I think Chang should be forced to sell the team. Perhaps there's some arcane clause in MLS agreement or something. Because the dude has been nothing but a harbinger of extreme bad luck and management to this team. No wonder his former partner cashed out.

Whatever magic Payne and Kasper had has run out.

Posted by: tundey | August 17, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Paul's post raises more questions, besides the usual recurring, "WTF is going on with security at RFK?" Remember in 2005 how the Nats' players were constantly targeted? I think Marlon Byrd's car was broken into three times. Safer to park on the street.

Have to think Quaranta did something juvenile, Simpson called him out on it even though he doesn't usually supervise Tino, and they got into it. Sort of like when a teacher sees a kid misbehaving in the hallway, not his own student, and the kid wonders, "Who are you to get in my face?"

Another question: What are we doing about our back line??? Can we please get through a game without pigeons crapping on our defenders? (Sorry, just had some caffeine.)

Posted by: paulkp | August 17, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Simpson should have been fired years ago.
Not sure why he'd even be talking to Q anyway.
What a trainwreck...

Posted by: matthewjfyoungs | August 17, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Paul purposely left his laptop in plain sight so that the Post would buy him an iThing. I would try it, but the gov't would replace my stolen computer with something from 1995.

For suspects, I'd start with those who missed practice.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 17, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Undercard:

Alsopp v. Cristman (Howard, these guys are punchers, not boxers)

Wicks (cameo return) v. Burch (Howard, is something wrong with Burch's right hand? He hasn't used it for 6 rounds.)

Jaime v. Onalfo

top billing: Q v. Simpson

Posted by: OWNTF | August 17, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

RFK is the Anfield of MLS. When players are there, thieves break in to their cars or hotel rooms.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 17, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

it's worse than I thought. We've become France!

Posted by: nairbsod | August 17, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Ahh, fighting on the practice field. A sure sign Chad Ashton is back in the picture.

Bring back Danny Szetela, he'll sort them out.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | August 17, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

I believe that is the first and last time RFK is compared with Anfield.

I would definitely not leave valuables in plain sight. Inside job? I'm sure those staffers don't get paid much.....

Add me to the list who don't think Tino has been very good this year. How did we do uring those matches while he was out injured?

Posted by: fedssocr | August 17, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Branko can break up fights! I knew our DP would be good for something.

Now we need to figure out how to leverage that on the field.

Posted by: Southeasterner | August 17, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Way to keep the board interesting Paul. Now try to top that tomorrow. An upper section of RFK collapsing would be a good start.

Posted by: tcbannon | August 17, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

TFC up 2-0 on Cruz Azul at BMO at the half.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 17, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Q is one of the better players on this awful team but OWNTF, saying he is "the most skilled player" on this team is more than a bit of a stretch. Andy Najar, as young and raw as he is, is a better soccer player Q is or ever was.

Posted by: Ron16 | August 17, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish

A vasectomy prolly.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 17, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

No big deal. Tina being Tina.

Posted by: Hoost | August 17, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

I think the big thing is to get an owner who is willing to lay down serious money. I thought Chang was already shopping for new ownership. See this old Goff post... http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2010/02/dc_uniteds_ownership_and_stadi.html

It seems after McFarlane left, it's too much for him to do by himself. I'm hoping Chang brings in others soon. I think everyone sees that is the first step to getting this club right. My dream is Gillett, Hicks, or Glazer sell out of Liverpool and come to MLS and buy DCU. I think MLS has much more growth than the EPL, which is already at the top and imposing rules on themselves to slow things down.

Posted by: SeanWG | August 17, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Scraps happen; glad these guys still care.

I, however, do not.

Posted by: HWLongfellow | August 17, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Avoid the Noid!

Posted by: DadRyan | August 17, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Quaranta #25.
"full of passion and small amounts of talent"..........................What a waste of a roster spot.

Posted by: Ivanovich84 | August 17, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

One other question:
When in City Center Philadelphia where would one possibly catch the Seattle CCL match tomorrow night? Have skateboard and can travel a bit if anyone has any leads on bars that might have FSC...

Posted by: DadRyan | August 17, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Number one DCU player fight of all time, hands down:

David Vaudreuil vs. Richie Williams, Tokyo, February 1997 in the locker room following the Sanwa Bank Cup loss to Nagoya Grampus Eight.

It was a freak show, those two diminutive guys rolling around the locker room floor. It was hilarious, actually.

Posted by: mightymax | August 17, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Can't help ya DadRyan.

A fight is a fight, no big deal. My college team used to have 3 to 4 a season. I played left back and got into about 4 little scruffs with my left mid (we both started together sophomore threw senior year) and we are still close friends. The kid wouldn't play defense to save his life, I guess leading the team in goals and assist is a decent excuse. Just leave issues on the field and its not a big deal. Olson comments seem to suggest my sentiment.

Grand Canyon was a great time. I'd upload pictures if I could but I doubt you all care. haha.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 17, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

For an entertaining and detailed CCL preview authored by Chest Rockwell go to

Very good stuff.

Posted by: croftonpost | August 18, 2010 12:26 AM | Report abuse

@DadRyan Here's a number of places in Dillydelphia who claim to be soccer bars.

Vamos Marathon eh?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 18, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Awesome -- David Fuster sold to Olympiakos, so Jozy looks like a lock for Villarreal, and now is set to play in tomorrow's Europa match.

Posted by: Reignking | August 18, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

@DadRyan I can personally vouch for the Dark Horse. Great pub, lots of screens devoted to soccer. My brother's Rangers Supporter's Club meets there every week. It's a little far from Center City though. Too bad you don't have your bike.

Fado at 1500 Locust is the only truly Center City location on that list.

(okay, I really am leaving town but couldn't leave my SI bud DadRyan hanging.)

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | August 18, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Samir Nasri's impressive start to the new season has come to an immediate halt with the news that he will be sidelined for a month after undergoing knee surgery.

Posted by: Reignking | August 18, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Don't worry. When the team is in Baltimore, your car will never get broken into. :-)

Posted by: PeteO1 | August 18, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

What a dumb article...25k show up for LA-NY and that's the "biggest" ticket in NY.

LA, NY the first real MLS powerhouses.

Posted by: Reignking | August 18, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I couldn't read the Schaerlaeckens piece because the layers of conceit, arrogance, and hubris blocked my screen.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 18, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure it gave Garber wood. Best thing for the league right now.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 18, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Anyone that has lived in DC long enough knows you do not leave backpacks, gym bags and especially CPU bags locked inside your car within view of passing pedestrians.

Posted by: lord_dorpaldonger | August 18, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Albright's touch with interviews is almost as good as his touch in front of the goal.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 18, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Regarding the missing computer, I would suspect a player or players that you have written negatively about. Look back through your notes and you may discover the culprit!! As the Goffster has said "RFK is a rotting hulk". Its time for a new stadium or a new city.

Posted by: patrick18 | August 18, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Yep, Quaranta is struggling--he is trying to do too much. And yep, he's no A-mid. But comparing Quaranta to Addlery? Put down the crack pipe Ruthie. I've seen Addlery in person in games (DCU and otherwise) and practice. He's physical and he's direct. That's it. Not first touch. Not clever. Doesn't link well with teammates. If you want to play direct, N-S, long-ball soccer, he's your guy. If you want any kind of passing game, a forward who also sets up teammates, or an outside mid, than Addlery is below about 15 other guys just in USL.

Posted by: JoeW1 | August 18, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

It has been institutional thinking since MLS's inception that in order for the league to be a success on a commercial level it must have strong teams in the two biggest media markets, NY and LA. This thinking followed an outdated model even for 1996, but MLS and SUM "executives" have never abandoned it. To this day It haunts the dusty beach road in the skeleton frames of the burned-out Chevrolets of narrow thinking.

Remember Mattheus? How about Luis Hernandez? Carlos Hermisillo? Prior to the 1996 MLS Cup Final, MLS executives were working with members of the Galaxy on how to divide up the winner's money. They held no such meetings with the D. C. United. MLS has always been in love with NY and LA, and for the first time, both teams have a real chance to reach the final.

Marketing professionals in many sports league have held this view to be gospel and the evidence suggests otherwise. Everyone predicted that the NHL would finally enter the mainstream sports consciousness when Wayne Gretzky was traded to the L. A. Kings. Did not happen. The NFL has thrived and grown without a team in LA; NBA? How about those Knickerbockers! Baseball? yes, strong teams exist in New York and LA, but recent World Series winners include Philadelphia, St. Louis, Boston, and Florida. Until the Yankees won last year, only one NY and LA team (The ANAHEIM Angels in 2002) have won the World Series since 2000.

MLS is populated by underdeveloped thinkers who are slaves to outdated models, unimaginative in their approach and unwilling to "think outside the box." This is why they still believe that for this league to succeed, there must be high-quality teams in NY and LA.

Posted by: lgm6986 | August 18, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Gotta agree with JoeW1 about Quaranta. He has skill, pace, and heart, but is trying to do too much, and it shows. I'm hoping that as Hernandez and Boskovic begin to blend in and work more effectively Tino will simplify his game and become the player he can be.

Posted by: b18bolo | August 18, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: b18bolo | August 18, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

First division Euro teams that are also in large markets:
Birmingham, Aston Villa, Hamburg, St. Pauli, Paris St. Germain.

They're really piling up the silverware.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 18, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Hey until recently the team bringing in the highest soccer attendance in NY was the Rhinos not the Bulls. Is the better soccer market a place with fans who will sit through a “div II” season with no stars or one that requires multiple million dollar DP players just to barely fill up a brand new stadium?

I’m not sure if NYC is a bad market or the Red Bulls have no clue what they’re doing but if you put that team on the field in Rochester I bet they would out draw what the Red Bulls are pulling in now. If DC had that squad we would be breaking all of our previous attendance records by an order of magnitude and RFK and Quest would be battling it out for top spot in the attendance table.

Posted by: Southeasterner | August 18, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Not silverware, I-270. Wedgewood.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | August 18, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

This keyboard is really nice.

Posted by: TenoriosLaptop | August 18, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Wedgewood: what you get if you wear Toy Story underwear.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 18, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Jozy Altidore to be staying at Vilarreal? http://villarrealusa.org/?p=3779

Posted by: maddi | August 18, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I'm not so sure that Thierry and Marquez would have signed on to play in Rochester, regardless of how many fans would show up to the games.

Why is it so hard for people to accept that NY has a damn good team and coach and a beautiful new stadium?

I mean, DC lacks all of those things, with no prospect of acquiring them any time soon, but that we don't alter that fact by pretending NY isn't what they are.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 18, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

At his worst, Q still plays at a higher level than half the players on the field, just by virtue of his talent, strength, and speed advantages. He's also shown improved durability over the past three seasons, which adds substantially to his value.

I think going into the last offseason--with his MNT caps, and his cred as a bright spot in two bad DCU seasons--he expected to emerge (or be hand-picked) as the undisputed leader of a transitioning team. Clearly, that hasn't happened on or off the field. Like with everyone else, this whole season has been especially tough.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 18, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Glad I could help.

Posted by: Reignking | August 18, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

=====================

If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his a$$

Posted by: OWNTF | August 18, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

This just in: Brett Favre to announce he's moving the r in front of the v.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | August 18, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Payne seems to want to deconstruct the team completely so my theory on what he wants to do is keep only key players or those that cannot be dropped according with the MLS union standards. So we'll probably see the youth (academy, drafts, and maybe some of the trades) back along with Simms (as captain) Jakovic, James, Tino, Boskovic, Hernandez, and Burch.

I don't think this will be a bad idea, however I don't think the FO knows MLS caliber players anymore. The FO needs to update to the speed and physicality. They may have gotten an idea with hernandez and boskovic, but they need time and a better, more mentaly fresh supporting cast

Posted by: TenoriosLaptop | August 18, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

If you care, Cody Arnoux signed by Tom Soehn for the rest of the season.

Posted by: Reignking | August 18, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

@JoeW1: I agree with you about Ruthie's Quaranta-Addlery comparison. Besides one is a withdrawn forward or midfielder and one is a target forward.

Completely disagree about Addlery being behind 15 other guys in the Second Division. No chance, Lance! I couldn't name 10 guys that I would rather have and when it comes to forward, I would put Addlery in my first five, hands down.

I have seen the guy play over 60 games since he went to Puerto Rico. I still think that Addlery could contribute to an MLS roster, he would just need the right fit.

I'm not saying that he would be a first or second option but I will gladly take him over some of the stiffs that I see on MLS rosters.

He has grown since he left DC. I remember what he looked liked during the reserve matches. Saw what he did in Vancouver. He is helping to carry Puerto Rico and in games against bigger clubs, he tends to produce or be PRI's key threat now that Fabrice Noel headed to China and Jadeo has cooled off.

Posted by: yankiboy | August 18, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

@Southesterner: Bro, surely you jest. If you took those two and put them in Rochester then they would not be drawing better than at Red Bull Stadium.

Even after you look at the shady numbers that both clubs have used for attendance figures, Rochester's attendance has been in decline since they left Frontier.

Yes it was the previous manangement and the city's fault but come on. They have

It is ridiculous how many of the Rochester faithful have abandoned the club since the got their own stadium that the complain is in the "ghetto" (which cracks me up since I've been there a few times since they moved and I had visited before they moved); I don't believe that we could get a lot of those same people to come out to RFK.

I understand where you are trying to go but I gotta ask you to please put down the Rochester Kool-Aid.

I can't stand Energy Drink FC but I have got to give them props. They really seem to be headed in the right direction.

Posted by: yankiboy | August 18, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Fulham have announced the signing of Belgium international Moussa Dembele from AZ Alkmaar.

Posted by: Reignking | August 18, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I just looked -- that new stadium is 3 blocks away.

Posted by: Reignking | August 18, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

who needs goal.com when we have Reignking

Posted by: TenoriosLaptop | August 18, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say "Rochester?"

Kodachrome
You give us those nice bright colors
You give us the greens of summer
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah!
I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 18, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I post things that actually happen, as opposed to whatever goal.com makes up.

Posted by: Reignking | August 18, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I suspect that DCU management is trying to make the team so bad that we're going to WANT them to leave.

Posted by: TCompton | August 18, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I was walking off the practice field the other day when I saw two U16 or U17 boys teams getting ready to scrimmage. One thing stood out -- the height of a lot of those guys.

I'm six feet tall, and when I walked by, a considerable number of them were taller, and not just by a hair (which they had far more of).

Then I read that Shanosky is 6-4 and not a bruiser, but a technical player, developed by youth coaches who focused on technical skills and ball possession.

I think one of the ways American soccer is changing is that some of the taller athletes who used to play basketball and baseball, are now playing soccer. Not all, of course, but enough to be a trend, I think.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | August 18, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Funny coincidence, Thor, I just put down this article about a 6'4" Romanian-American kid who was just drafted into the NFL as a punter:

"A couple years later in high school, Mr. Mesko had to decide between playing soccer, which only parents watched, or football, which everyone watched, including cheerleaders. "No brainer," Mr. Mesko says."

Fascinating piece -- not least for what it says about getting an education.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 18, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Just like we talked about during the Milk Cup. I think we finished our last two games with 8 or 9 players setting in at over 6-1. It's exciting. Future is bright.

Bring on the Germans!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 18, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

=============

The next Goodson! ;)

Posted by: OWNTF | August 18, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the tips BaRRD and 9nine9! Guess I read the schedule wrong and if I really did want to watch Sounders/Marathon I should hopefully be back in the DC area by then.

Anyone who's lived anywhere should know not to leave anything worth stealing visible in your car. It's not just DC.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 18, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to return to an item from the previous thread, about the idea of eliminating draws in the group stage at the WC (and presumably other tournaments with a similar format). Why would anyone want to increase the role of 11m shootouts in deciding the outrcome of a tournament? I'd go in the other direction, keeping the shootout only for the round of 16 through the semis, and letting the finalists play until they drop, perhaps allowing additional subs after 120 minutes. (The players usually have long periods to recuperate before rejoining their club teams.) I'd also bring back the golden goal, or at least adopt a rule that if the teams traded goals in extra time, scoring first would be used as a tiebreaker. In short, anything to avoid the use of penalties if it can possibly be avoided.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 18, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

@OWNTF: You need to take that kind of talk over to the education blog. This blog is for encouraging 13 year old kids to leave their families and join youth academies.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 18, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

@OWNTF & I-270: Hockey Juniors. Just think about it...

There is something to be said about beging able to get your kid out of your hone before they turn 18 and they get to study a "trade". Win-win. Oh yeah, and they get to see something outside of their hometown. It's like an athletic working man's blue collar college...

Posted by: yankiboy | August 18, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I did what I do for most of Sepp's ramblifications, I ignored it. It's odd that FIFA had the sudden death rule (I prefer the violent, American term), then dropped it, and now wants to re-institute it.

I also find nothing wrong with group stage ties (again, I prefer the American term).

I'd keep the shooout for the final. The way things are going half the roster shows up injured at the start of the WC and the other half gets injured during the tournament. So there should be a finite playing time. Broadcasters may not like the play-until-there's-a-winner format.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 18, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

IGM6986 I agreed with your post to some extent. Your probably right, success in the MLS, in terms of winning the hearts of Americans, will go beyond a NY-LA paradigm. Come next year, when people flip on ESPN and see packed, fully impassioned games between Portland, Vancouver, and Seattle I think we will see an increase in MLS viewership by non-traditional fans. I personally love watching games at Seattle because of the atmosphere. Same with Toronto and Philly (Yes, I included DC. But not so much these days -a stadium would help.) My argument is stadiums that look exciting will increase a buzz for non-traditional fans; they will want to go and see the excitement.

I do think you should give MLS a bit of credit. They have gotten creative by securing the pacific west as a market. Montreal also helps. These executives have managed to keep the league alive in its dark ages (see Tampa Bay and Miami), so I think they are smarter than they look.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 18, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I did what I do for most of Sepp's ramblifications, I ignored it.
_________________________________________

It's been a while since I last posted this:

Blat´ter: To prate; to babble; to rail; to make a senseless noise; to patter.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 18, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Broadcasters may not like the play-until-there's-a-winner format.
__________________________________________

In most of the world, a WC final that ran over its time slot would garner far higher ratings than whatever programming it would be preempting, so I don't think broadcasters would squawk too much.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 18, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Q and Simpson staged the fight to grab the reporters' attention while the thief snagged the laptops. When Q left practice, he didn't go home or anywhere else to blow off steam, he went to the pawn shop with his accomplice.

Posted by: WorldCup | August 18, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

That's a good theory WorldCup, but I doubt anyone on the current roster did it. We should never forget about the usual suspects. Does anyone know where Freddy Adu, Rod Dyachenko and Facundo Erpen were during yesterday's practice?

On an arguably more serious matter, does anyone know if today's rain has washed away the remnants of RFK?

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 18, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Here''s a very small piece of trivia. The only other time I'm aware of Quaranta being involved in a fight at practice with DCU was when he picked a fight with Eddie Pope and got sent home. I seem to recall that Onalfo was running that practice.

Posted by: JoeW1 | August 18, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

====================

If memory serves, they were more lilely to give things away than to steal them.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 18, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Who says a coach, including Mark Simpson, cannot comment or correct anything a player does in practice?
Given Quaranta's continuously erratic play one can understand Simpson's trying to coach him. Quaranta may have (or had) raw talent, but more than half of his passes were way off target last Saturday and he was over the bar by 10 feet on a rare open shot. He never attempts to beat a man down the sideline and probably cannot. He is totally predictable in his play, cut to the middle and cross or pass backward. He is unreliable in front of the goal. He did make an accurate cross to Najar on the own goal by Dallas last week, but he is clearly not up to winning MLS standards. No wonder the team shopped him around. Coach Olsen: despite your probably long freindship and understandable loyalty to Quaranta, why not try Pontious at left mid and Najar at right? We have other strikers that are better than Quaranta, so he is a late game sub at best. He is not the only problem on this team by far, but a part of a stunning overall decline in talent. The Dallas forwards ran around our wide backs like they had jets on their backs. Where is Gray, who has shown good speed and promise and when is Wallace coming back? At least one can see a way to stop up the leaky back line. Wallce-James-Yakovic-Gray, then DCU can start working on the goal scoring problem (Hernendez and Branko are promising). There are almost too many problems with this roster to note them all. Rebuilding the midfield is a good place to start.

Posted by: lemovs1 | August 18, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

"There is obviously a lot that needs to be taught to him, but he's got some great tools, he's physical, he's got the size for this level. We're very excited to see him progress over the next year."

------------------------------------------------------

So, Conor has a lot to learn? They should trade him to Houston, LA, New England or San Jose -- where there's a coaching staff that can teach him.

Posted by: fischy | August 18, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Roy Lassiter have a case of sticky fingers while playing in Costa Rica? He might just have a new laptop.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 18, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Perfect excuse to dump Quaranta. Time to start thinking about a roster purge...

Posted by: alan19 | August 19, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Lassiter's run-in with the law was in North Carolina, while he was in college. He was a along for the ride, literally, when a burglary was carried out by acquaintances of his. I'm not sure that he received any stolen goods. He later moved to Costa Rica, apparently believing that charges against him had been dropped. Ironically, it was his being called up for national team duty that alerted law enforcement that he was back in this country. He eventually got off with probation or something.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 19, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

100th!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 19, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

@ universityandpark
Wow you know alot about burglary. Is there anything you want to get off your chest conserning the laptop you obviously stole?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 20, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse