Sign of times: Vuvuzela ban at Meadowlands

Don't even think about it!
meadowlandsvuvus.jpg

By Steve Goff  |  August 10, 2010; 3:18 PM ET
Categories:  Brazil , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: vuvuzelas
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gabarra stays, but Freedom makes changes
Next: Matchnight: USA-Brazil

Comments

How about didgeridoos?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 10, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Glockenspiels are allowed, but discouraged...

Posted by: JkR- | August 10, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

One small step for the Pink Cows, one giant leap for everyone's hearing.

Posted by: M__N | August 10, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Does vuvuzela mean woman?

Posted by: SexyOffender | August 10, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

What's their pan flute policy?

Posted by: SilentAssassin | August 10, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Does vuvuzela mean woman?
_________________________________________

In the middle of a discussion of this topic on this blog in the middle of the World Cup, someone posted a comment that contained a certain Freudian slip, which I will leave to your imagination.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 10, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

They don't have a "Beware of Lalas" sign, do they?

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 10, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Will xylophones be allowed for the Poland match in October?

DCU news:

Jemal Johnson) I'm pretty sure it is Jemal, even though some SI loyalists have been calling him Jemel and DCU's site refers to him as Jamel) is now on trial with the team. It would be amazing if they find someone who can fill the opposing nets.

DCU also reports that Academy product Conor Shanosky is still training with the team. I'd lay odds they offer him a deal within the next year. Also training with the team is super-speedy 15(!) year-old Jalen Robinson.

Posted by: fischy | August 10, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.
Jameel, Jamazel, Hasenfeffer Incorporated.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 10, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Bet I hear a few in the parking lots. And see a few in security bins on the way out

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 10, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

What's their pan flute policy?

Posted by: SilentAssassin | August 10, 2010 3:41 PM |

Bring them! Open door for the pan flute!

(Zamfir was once a box to box, 2 footed middie in his salad days...)

Posted by: JkR- | August 10, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

that is one giant picture! resize!

Posted by: joe_hill | August 10, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I love globalization.

I love how globalization plays out in football and popular culture.

Vuvuzela just seems like such an "African" word. No one in the US even knew what it meant until recently. Now, a black and white sign like this can be posted anywhere in the world and it has all kinds of meaning to hundreds of millions of people and even has the power to evoke visceral reactions.

Posted by: WorldCup | August 10, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Giuseppe Rossi is in.

Posted by: Reignking | August 10, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Funny how before the World Cup, you could bring a "vuvuzela" (aka small plastic horn that you can buy at any novelty shop) to any sporting event, and no one would give a crap. But now it's criminal to do so.

Posted by: kdiff813 | August 10, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Vuvuzelas are not an ancient custom of the indigenous peoples of North Jersey in the same way that thunder sticks are. And Bon Jovi songs at karaoke.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 10, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

kdiff813
United banned the vuvuzelas long ago

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | August 10, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

fischy, I believe that Jalen Robinson is 16. I have seen the kid play numerous times and he is very good ( he plays on the U16 National Team). He goes to Mt St Joe's HS and my guess is that he will play in college and not sign with DC United.

Posted by: gcbigdog | August 10, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Thanks OWNTF. I've wondered about those lyrics for 30 years.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 10, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

What about a plastic horn? Can I bring a cheap plastic horn?

Posted by: BaltoFan | August 10, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Bagpipes. If Ally McCoist will be there, then bagpipes.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 10, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Ocarina anyone?

(I can't be the only nerd amongst us I hope...)

Posted by: PEddy | August 10, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Is it okay if I bring my Keytar to the game?

What a stupid rule. If anything I say we need more vuvuzela's.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 10, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

LONG LIVE THE VUVUZELA!!

Posted by: TinyJordan | August 10, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

WE NEED MORE KEYTAR!!!

Posted by: DadRyan | August 10, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

See that was the funny thing. Everybody was complaining about the vuvuzelas but I knew they were all going to take them home. Guess what I saw at Dulles airport right after the world cup? A bunch of German fans arriving the United States with Vuvuzelas.

Posted by: tundey | August 10, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Well, some people get tattoos as souvenirs and then have second thoughts.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 10, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

bonghits, I live in New England and haven't been to game at RFK in two seasons (looks like I picked a good two seasons to miss), so I wasn't aware of the policy. Also, I haven't tried to take a noisemaker other than my vocal chords to a sporting event in quite some time.

And, secondly, great user name!

Posted by: kdiff813 | August 11, 2010 12:25 AM | Report abuse

If anyone still wants to sell vuvuzelas in their home towns, they are a great money maker. I sell them in bulk, for the best prices online. Check out my website. http://www.sonasholistic.com/cheap-vuvuzela.html

Posted by: pmm621 | August 11, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse