Thursday kickaround: D.C. United, DaMarcus Beasley, Silverdome, Inter Milan in Dallas, MLS in Champions League, SuperLiga

*On Wednesday, amid the chaos of the D.C. United coaching change, General Manager Dave Kasper said the club was involved in trade talks. Naturally, he offered no specifics because teams try to keep such discussions private until a deal is consummated. However, the Insider is hearing from national sources that United and Columbus are discussing a minor move involving Crew reserve defender Jed Zayner, 25, who started 16 league matches last year and has made eight appearances (three starts) this season.

Other potential D.C. moves might also be in the works. Meantime, the Crew (10-4-4) is in Philadelphia/Chester tonight for a meeting with the expansion Union (4-8-3) at PPL Park (8 p.m. ET, ESPN2).

*More quality gossip, first seen on the Insider's Twitter page: U.S. World Cup midfielder DaMarcus Beasley, out of contract after serving with Glasgow Rangers, has attracted interest from, among other European clubs, Heracles in the Netherlands Hercules in Spain and Nice in France.

For much more.....

*Big plans are in the works for the Pontiac Silverdome, which will host an AC Milan-Panathinaikos friendly Friday.

*FC Dallas, unbeaten in its past eight league matches, welcomes European champion Inter Milan to Pizza Hut Park for a friendly (9 p.m. ET, Fox Soccer Channel).

*The Los Angeles Galaxy was eliminated from the CONCACAF Champions League in the preliminary stage by the second-tier Puerto Rico Islanders on a 5-3 aggregate, but four MLS clubs have reached group play, which begins in two weeks: Real Salt Lake and Toronto FC are in Group A with Cruz Azul and Arabe Unido; Columbus is in B with Santos Laguna, Municipal and Joe Public or Brujas; and the Seattle Sounders are in C with Monterrey, Saprissa and Marathon. Is this the year an MLS team finally reaches the final?

*Remember the SuperLiga? Yes, it still exists. The New England Revolution is heading to the final after defeating Puebla on penalty kicks, 5-3, following a 1-1 draw in front of just 5,854 at Gillette Stadium. Late this month, the Revs will host the winner of tonight's semifinal between the Houston Dynamo and Morelia (8 p.m. ET, Telefutura). The victory was costly for the Revs, however, as starters Marko Perovic (calf) and Kevin Alston (hamstring) departed with injuries that will likely rule them out of Saturday's league match against D.C. United.

By Steve Goff  |  August 5, 2010; 9:06 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , CONCACAF Champions League , D.C. United , MLS , Mexico , SuperLiga , U.S. men's national team , USL  | Tags: CONCACAF, D.C. United, DaMarcus Beasley, Inter Milan, MLS, SuperLiga
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Freedom wins, but Gabarra's job in jeopardy
Next: Weekend TV listings: MLS, friendlies, Mexico

Comments

Now the Seattle Flounders will find out what schedule congestion is all about. I for one (make that two including Dad-Ryan) hope Seattle fail miserably!!!

Sorry for speaking for you Dad.

Anti-vamos Flounders!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 5, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Shouldn't Heracles try to sign Herculez Gomez?

Detroit United! Closest Metro stop will be Dulles, then you have to catch a plane.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 5, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Nice, or a town of 8500? Tough choice, DMB!

Posted by: Reignking | August 5, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Super Liga...Pooper-Liga!

@ 270 Detroit United not funny!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 5, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

"He added that one of the selling points to both the league and the city of Pontiac is that the stadium will not require public funding, which often slows down, and in some cases, ends the expansion process."

Motor City United?

Posted by: rademaar | August 5, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

@9Nine9, make that three. Or two. Whatever number.

Posted by: Konoha7 | August 5, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Hmnm, I'll put money on us sending way more to Columbus than what we'll receive.

Posted by: KHSpartan | August 5, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

@Konoha7

Call it 3!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 5, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Colin Clarke should seriously be considered as a candidate for the DCU job.

Over the last 3 years with the Puerto Rico Islanders, he has taken them far into the CCC/CCL. They've beaten teams along the way such as Santos, Cruz Azul, Alajulense.

Also the players he has are not good as DCU; Addlery is still one of their top players. Thus, he seems to be a pretty resourceful coach getting the most out of average players and his tactical acumen is
effective to get results.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | August 5, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: silverrey | August 5, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I am never a big fan of losing. I am happy with the fact that Puerto Rico fished the assignment last night and qualified for the group stage but I would have preferred to have at least drawn that match last night. Jadeo had a chance to draw us level. A really good chance.

It was an ugly but successful night.

Nice to see some fans back in the JRL last night. Maybe we can lure some of them back. I really hope so.

Posted by: yankiboy | August 5, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

LA being eliminated from ConcaChampions significantly boosts their prospects for winning MLS Cup. Those 6 extra games and the accompanying travel wreak havoc on any MLS roster.

Anyone who hasn't seen Philly's new stadium (in Chester) should tune in tonight to see how nice a small, soccer specific stadium can look on TV.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 5, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

It will be nice to see PPL on TV tonight. My wife and I decided to get tickets for the Red Bulls visit to PPL in October -- a nice fall weekend in Philly combined with a good match and what should be a great atmosphere.

I'm this close to not going to RFK for another match this year.

Posted by: jofij | August 5, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

@9Nine9

+1. I sure hope those smarmy scarf toters have fun going down to the Monster's Cave.

Posted by: VTUnited | August 5, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Maybe I should take this opportunity to mention the "Electricity" Freddy Montero jersey, rave green saddle shoes, and matching scarf and pom-poms I picked up when I was in Seattle a couple weeks ago...
;)

Posted by: DadRyan | August 5, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

DCU to the Silverdome would maintain continuity in the quality of play between its various occupants.

Posted by: benonthehill | August 5, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

"Didn't see this mentioned yesterday with all the emphasis on Onalfo: Chivas de Guadalajara are in the Libertadores Cup final - does anyone know if they would represent South America in the World Club Championship if they manage to win Libertadores?"

No, they are not eligible to represent South America in the World Club Championship. I assume their opponent in the final would get the bid.

Posted by: csd1 | August 5, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

@Dadryan, I hope you use that jersey as a napkin for a bbq fest.

But Seattle will get destroyed in group play. Monterry, Saprissa, and Marathon are not easy opponents.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 5, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

The Silverdome plans are awesome.

jofij,

Please continue to attend United's games. Although understandable now is not the time for poor attendance. United needs it's supporters now more than ever.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | August 5, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I agree; Colin would be a great hire for DC. But the central question remains, why would any coach want to come to DC as presently led by Kasper?

Posted by: lgm6986 | August 5, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

ha, ha. I still haven't emailed my pics of the Jimi Hendrix statue draped in a DC United scarf to DCU themselves. Maybe I should just email those to Goff...

Posted by: DadRyan | August 5, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Don't know about trade talks, but a change in keepers would stop the soft goals.

Posted by: edmundburke247 | August 5, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I'm opposed to a Jed Zayner deal simply because his photo in FM2010 makes him look like a complete psycho.

Posted by: Landru | August 5, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Those Silverdome plans sound very expensive. That must be one big engineering report.

Posted by: fedssocr | August 5, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I would pay to live in Nice.

Posted by: adamsmorgan | August 5, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I've got an empty stadium right by my new house. Seriously. It's on the other side of the world, but gone away is gone away, right? Send DCU to me!

Posted by: troy6 | August 5, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Landru

Agreed -- and I just found him the other day, playing somewhere in Scandinavia in 2014.

Posted by: Reignking | August 5, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

troy, you re-relocated?

Posted by: Reignking | August 5, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

The Rave Green Envy just oozes out of all your pathetic attempts at humor. I seriously don't think the Emerald City will ever recover from the emotional terror of having a DCU scarf briefly draped over a statue no one cares about.

MLS fans should be pulling for MLS teams to do well in CCL, and MLS fans should be pulling for teams that are doing well in their markets to do well on the field. That is, if any of you care about the league improving and not continuing to be a place that draws 12,000 fans to rat-, cat-, and raccoon-infested NFL graveyards.

Posted by: j_doe | August 5, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Yay! Another Retard Barista heard from!

Posted by: Landru | August 5, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: j_doe | August 5, 2010 12:32 PM

Why come to a DC United blog and get offended when someone bashes Seattle? Just read the comments and move on, or just read Goff's posts.

I personally will root for Seattle in the CCL. Though, I am not offended if DadRyan can't stand them. That is his choice.

Hope we smash you in the Open Cup final. (I know we aren't there yet)

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 5, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: j_doe | August 5, 2010 12:32 PM

I wouldn't call it envy, as it feels much more like disdain to me. nobody likes it when the new guy comes in, does a good job, and then rubs everyone's nose in it, all while annointing themselves "the next big thing", er "the first true Superclub of MLS". Again, bravo for filling an NFL stadium each game, putting together a great product that has likely set an unatainable standard for future MLS expansion clubs, and for winning a trophy in your first season. but if you want to go on every message board or facebook page and rub all those accomplishments in every other team's face, then you should expect people aren't going to like you.

Posted by: VTUnited | August 5, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

hey, you just leave the raccoons out of this. what goes on at robert f. kennedy memorial rabid woodland critter petting zoo is between us and the humane society.

Posted by: stairs | August 5, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

@grubbsbl: Why come here and get offended? One, I'm not offended, just pointing out stupidity. Two, I come here for the same reason tons of people who don't live in DC come here: It's not "United Insider," it's "Soccer Insider," and it's one of the best soccer blogs in the country.

Would love to see you guys again in USOC: it's a fun rivalry.

Posted by: j_doe | August 5, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stairs | August 5, 2010 1:07 PM

winner.

Posted by: VTUnited | August 5, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

"... over a statue no one cares about"
Posted by: j_doe
==========

Hey j_doe.
Where you goin' with that gun in your hand?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 5, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Would love to see you guys again in USOC: it's a fun rivalry.

Posted by: j_doe | August 5, 2010 1:10 PM

agreed.

hopefully our incompetent CEO can rig the bidding process again, and you all will have to come back to the "robert f. kennedy memorial rabid woodland critter petting zoo" for the final.

Posted by: VTUnited | August 5, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

...but if you want to go on every message board or facebook page and rub all those accomplishments in every other team's face, then you should expect people aren't going to like you.

Posted by: VTUnited
-------------------------

Yeah. What he said.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | August 5, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Well it sounded like blabbing. I gotta agree with VTUnited.

I-270, I am never sure if your jokes go all pear shaped or if they are brilliant. :) (I probably over-egged the pudding on that one)

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 5, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

VT, I hear what you're saying, except I seem to read a lot more about Seattle fans rubbing it in people's faces than I read comments from Seattle fans actually rubbing it in people's faces. Maybe I just hang out on the wrong sites (really just here and Soccer by Ives and a coupla of others). Anywho, good luck with the stadium search and better luck next year. DC fans certainly deserve better than they're getting.

Posted by: j_doe | August 5, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

well in 270.

Najar = "Little Wing"

Posted by: OWNTF | August 5, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

@ j_doe - have a look through pretty much any posting MLS throws up on Facebook, about anything. someone brought up Godwin's Law yesterday on here - along those lines, I'm pretty sure the following statement can safely be made: "As an online discussion about Major Leage Soccer grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving the Seattle Sounders attendance approaches 1"

that being said, your sentiments on the club's search for a new staidum are appreciated!

Posted by: VTUnited | August 5, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

"The [Superliga] victory was costly for the Revs, however, as starters Marko Perovic (calf) and Kevin Alston (hamstring) departed with injuries that will likely rule them out of Saturday's league match against D.C. United.

Bout time we got some BENEFIT from the Superliga.....

Posted by: DCUSince96 | August 5, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Colin Clarke is a good coach. He's not a great coach. What I mean by that is--given the right locker room and personality of players, he can be successful. He's got pedigree and experience and is a good guy. But he lost control of his Dallas Burn locker room and was deservedly canned. I wouldn't hire him b/c the Islanders have done well. I'd hire him IF it seemed like the locker room and personality of players was a good fit for him. And that would be a difficult decision to make given that I expect most of the current roster to turn over in the off-season.

Posted by: JoeW1 | August 5, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

In November I can see: Introducing DC United's new coach Bob Bradley.

Posted by: stephen_james2 | August 5, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone remember the earlier episode in which Detroit and Washington soccer were entangled? After the 1980 season the NASL's Diplomats folded. The owners of the Detroit Express hastily swooped in and acquired the rights to the Dips' name, uniform, etc. They moved their team to RFK and played the '81 season as the Dips, then they went belly up, too. Perhaps there are some people in Michigan with long memories who would like to return the favor.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 5, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Official statement from the Beat GM concerning last night's alleged goings on:

"At this point, we have no comment. We are in the process of gathering information regarding the incidences at the match last night and will work with the Breakers management to ensure that everything gets handled appropriately. Racism and inappropriate comments of any nature have not place in the beautiful game. The Breakers, the Beat and WPS will work together ensure that the pitch is a place to celebrate the sport and the great athleticism of our players…and is a safe place to do so.”

For those of you who missed it, just go back a thread and see some info on what it's all about.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 5, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Interesting discussion of San Diego as an MLS candidate (link courtesy of Soccer America):

Posted by: universityandpark | August 5, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

This "FC Dallas, unbeaten in its past eight league matches..." reminds me of the United of old. What a shame.

Posted by: tundey | August 5, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Chivas San Diego, baybeee... :-)

Posted by: Juan-John1 | August 5, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

DMB to Hercules? That'd be a terrific move for him. La Liga action, plus living in Alicante. That's the life. Great town.

Posted by: DEFPOTEC1 | August 5, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

j_doe, like rich kid ECSrs coming to DC and "getting their scarves up" in front of the White House and chanting on the Metro, it's all in fun my friend. No one cares about the Hendrix Sculpture like no one cares about the Open Cup. To each their own. Have fun supporting your club and I will too. Seattle is my old stomping grounds so bringing a bit of my new home back to the old and vice versa is always on the agenda. Lighten up.

FTW, most DCU fans are well aware of the trials and tribulations of International Tournaments and have their own opinions on the importance of them. This is the first year that DCU has NOT been qualified for internationals as long as I've been following them, soooooo.

I do hope that MLS clubs and even lower division USL sides find some success in the CCL, but at this moment my focus is on hoping it stretches Columbus to the breaking point and United can knock them out of the Open Cup on September 1st. A rematch with SSFC would be epic.

Till then Cheers!