Tuesday kickaround: Freddy Adu and Eddie Johnson, RFK friendly, American goalies abroad, WPS honors

*With the European transfer window closing today, we are awaiting final word on the status of Americans Eddie Johnson (will Fulham loan him to Queens Park Rangers?) and Freddy Adu (is he staying with Aris)? On his Twitter page, Adu wrote: "Aris it is."

*This one slipped in under the radar: El Salvador, which has regarded RFK Stadium as its home away from home, will play Guatemala in a friendly next Tuesday night in Washington. Kickoff is at 8 p.m.

*According to his representatives, Samir Badr, the former D.C. United academy goalkeeper who moved to Porto in Portugal, trained mostly with the first team in preseason. Paperwork issues, however, prevented him from playing in the first few weeks of matches with the reserves. He is currently with the U.S. under-20 national team in Peru for three matches. Meantime, another American keeper has settled matters overseas with Minnesota's Cody Cropper officially joining Ipswich Town.

*Attendance for United's U.S. Open Cup semifinal Wednesday at RFK Stadium? I am guessing 8,200.

*Marta (Gold Pride), Amy Rodriguez (Philadelphia Independence), Kelly Smith (Boston Breakers), and Abby Wambach (Washington Freedom) are finalists for the Michelle Akers Player of the Year award in Women's Professional Soccer. The winner will be decided by voting from fans, players/coaches and media. Online voting is accessible at the league's Web site.

By Steve Goff  |  August 31, 2010; 8:42 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , D.C. United , Portugal , Women  | Tags: Americans abroad, MLS, WPS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Atletico Madrid 4, Sporting Gijon 0
Next: D.C. United news & notes

Comments

Since this is "Special Game E" I think you are right that "announced" attendance will be around 8000. Actual people in the stadium is likely to be more like 4500

Posted by: fedssocr | August 31, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

I'll be there.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 31, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

So, I'm guessing this was covered on some other posts...

...but with Bob Bradley out of the running for the currently prestigious managerial position at DC United, who are the front runners?

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | August 31, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

It's Aris-ted...Development.

Posted by: Reignking | August 31, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood |

El Diablo?

Posted by: DadRyan | August 31, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Marta in a cakewalk, it's not even close.

Johnson, Adu: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

El Salvador: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

U20 goalies: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

DC United Open Cup attendance: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

When I came to the fork today, I took the low road.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 31, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Hey Dad, I want some biking advice for DC. Can you check forum on Insider Fantasy League so as not to bore this blog?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 31, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Me at RFK for US Open Cup. I'll be the one wearing black and red.

VAMOS UNITED!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 31, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

9's which fantasy are you talking about? I've got there's MLS? Premier League? I think I'm signed up for a couple too many...

Posted by: DadRyan | August 31, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Cody "Cropper"...that's just a terrible last name to have as a goalkeeper in England. Better not screw up or the tabloids will have a field day.

Posted by: Tweaked | August 31, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

What happened to my comment? I didn't have any bad words, like Sc[u]nthorpe or as[s]ist. Anyway... Those U20 keepers will see more playing time that Brad Guzan. Why is his agent letting him rot on the bench? Does anyone not think that Villa will go after a higher profile keeper once Friedel leaves?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 31, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I'll be there for sure tomorrow and I am renewing my season tics tomorrow as well. Aint giving up on this team.

I had a funny ride home on metro last night, was surrounded by DCU Academy kids. Topics of their loud discussion in no particular order: Girls, puberty, who has a hot mom, bar mitzvahs, kising, which stop is RFK?

Posted by: DCB23 | August 31, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

One of those topics is slightly disturbing. Then again, in my day no-one had a hot mom.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 31, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Johnson to QPR looks unlikely. The (top of the Football League) Rs are about to sign Tommy Smith from Portsmouth and Rob Hulse from Derby. Sorry Eddie.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 31, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

@Dad Premier.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 31, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

9Nine9, the forum ate my message. I'm running out the door, so I'll shoot you an email this afternoon on navigating those trails. It's a snap from GT.
Don't think I'll have time for a ride like that tomorrow, but perhaps we'll meet up for a bit of prefunk at RFK tomorrow?

Posted by: DadRyan | August 31, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

The ES vs GUA game might be packed. The DC FO should attend and see what sells.

Im guessing 10K for the Columbus match. Its $15 so we should see some college students.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 31, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

The DC FO should attend and see what sells.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 31, 2010 12:02 PM
----------------------------------------------------------

Too bad those inconvenient foreign player limits (and possibly the salary cap as well) prevent DCU from signing the Honduran national team. They could emulate the Team America from NASL days with a Team Honduras at RFK. That would sell...here. Not sure about on the road.

Other than that, I'm not sure what you think they'd learn.

Posted by: fischy | August 31, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

270:

I'm almost 60 and hot moms go way back. Didn't you ever see The Graduate?

Coo-cco ca-choo...

Posted by: lgm6986 | August 31, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Hope y'all will log onto WPS and vote for the Washington FREEDOM's Abby WAMBACH for the Michell Akers Player of the Year award. She is a great player,a team leader and continues to bring a very high level of professionalism and outstanding soccer to our winning hometown soccer team.GO ABBY and GO FREEDOM!!

Posted by: 10bestfan | September 1, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse