USA-Poland Set for Oct. 9

By Paul Tenorio

The USSF today officially announced what Steve Goff originally reported on the Insider earlier this month: The U.S. national team will face Poland in a friendly at Chicago's Soldier Field on Oct. 9.

The game will be played at 8 p.m. Eastern time, and the match will be broadcast live on Fox Soccer Channel and the Univision networks.

It is no surprise the United States will face Poland in Chicago, which boasts the largest Polish American population. When the Americans and Poland met there in the summer of 2004 for a 1-1 draw, attendance was 39,529.

"These fixture dates are a fantastic opportunity to have the group together for an extended period and then put the work to the test with a difficult match," U.S. head coach Bob Bradley said in a statement. "We know this is an important opportunity for Poland as they prepare for the 2012 European Championship, so we expect a challenging game. Chicago has a fantastic tradition of supporting soccer and the U.S. national team, and with the large Polish community in the area it should make for an exciting atmosphere."

As Goff reported earlier this month, the USSF is also attempting to arrange friendlies for Oct. 12, against Colombia at a U.S. venue, and Nov. 17, against an unspecified opponent.

By Paul Tenorio  |  August 18, 2010; 5:06 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shanosky signing official, United tensions grow
Next: Calling all D.C. United fans

Comments

US soccer sure doesn't know how to create buzz anymore. Bob Bradley should not be given another 4 years. I think our man in charge of the entire US program, Gulati, needs to step down. We are in need of a new direction in our national team program and Bradley brings NOTHING new to the table. I don't care how well people think he has done, we were just outplayed BADLY by a young Brazilian squad, our tactics are textbook and are entirely predictable.

Posted by: elfelixg | August 18, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

And the next day, you can run in the Chicago Marathon. Book your hotel room now.

Posted by: Reignking | August 18, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Heading to Whole Foods to stock on kielbasa now.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | August 18, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

US-Poland Friendly + Marathon which I am signed up for + Red Apple Polish buffet = perfect weekend.

Posted by: DCB23 | August 18, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Brazil was a reality check. Not to diminish Bradley's contribution, but we need a new coach (Novack) and by the final round of qualifying we need to replace at least half our starters with new blood that is young, strong, fast, creative and CAN FINISH.

Posted by: KRIKET | August 18, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Cloumbus is squandering chances in the 2nd half against Municipal.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 18, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

I-270... that's what I came to post. I also wanted to comment on how fluid Gaven, Gary, and Schelloto (spl?)look. Joe public is also putting up a fight. I hope salt lake does well tonight.

To all to Bob Bradley haters, what other coach in the world wouldn't have gotten USA out classed with essentially a B squad verse a hungry talented Brazilian squad? Answer that before we fire Bob. Also, the coach should be available to hire. Do you all really think Klinsmam is just gonna sprinkle "world cup winning" fairy dust and Holden will become the next Ozil?

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 18, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 18, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

I am not even sure we keep Coach Bradley, but if just the announcement causes you all to bash USSF and call for everyone to be fired or resign you are delusional.

Look at England. They failed to qualify for euro 2008, hired the best coach out their and still were found out as an average team in the world cup. If we spend over the top on a shiny coach I am sure it will be different.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 18, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

@KRIKET,

Where do you propose we find a half-roster's worth of these types of players? No matter who the new coach is, they'll only be able to work with the tools at their disposal. They can't magically make world-class players appear out of thin air.

Posted by: Kenobi | August 18, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double post. Trying to operate on an Iphone because I am to lazy to walk to my laptop is difficult for me.

Thank you Kenobi for being rational. I actually think there is some decent talent coming through. Omar Salgado looked real good in the MILK Cup, as did Gale Abossoumonde. Holden also continues to develop. (Even though I am nervous how deep he played last Sunday.)

Real Salt Lake are down 1-0. I am sure as soon as Jurgen Klinsmann is hired Robbie Findley will become a 25 goals scorer in La Liga. Okay, I will stop the sarcasm.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 18, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Did I hear correctly that Fidel Castro was taking goal kicks against Real Salt Lake? It could be because the efforts were rather weak and some didn't even make it to the midfield line.

I only watched the last 20 minutes or so of the 2nd half so I missed the Panamanians early goal. The possession was almost all RSL's but Arabe got lots of fouls in and had a player sent off for a 2-footed tackle. Saborio headed in to equalize just before halftime off a diagonal cross from Wingert.

On FSC right now if anyone wants to watch the 2nd half.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 18, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Joel... I have watched the whole half (what else to do when the gf is cooking dinner. She thinks she is the next Giada so I don't feel bad making a comment that may be viewed by some as patriarchal. And we both admit my cooking sucks).

Real Salt Lake is dominating. I think your right about Castro taking goal kicks. This game should finish 3 or 4 to 1 Real Salt Lake.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 18, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Ref in the RSL game looks totally lost. He got the PK call right, but didn't he pull out his book to try to find a guy to give a card to so he wouldn't have to give a 2nd yellow to the guy who actually (obviously) committed the foul? Not sure I've ever seen a ref be that obvious about it.

Posted by: benonthehill | August 19, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

To RSL: Bienvenidos a CONCACAF.

In other news, KC Wizard Sunil Chhetri scored a brace in India's 3-1 win over Uniao Serra of Portugal's 2nd division. India's roster includes Mohammed Rafi. Bollywood enthusiasts may recognize him as a deceased voice-over singer.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 19, 2010 7:40 AM | Report abuse

India does have their unique athletes:

Posted by: csd1 | August 19, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Over reacting and rationality? I don't think I am over reacting for calling for a change in direction. As for the Brazil game it is true, not too much more we could do there, but you guys are cutting our future talent short. The Brazil game might not have been the best place to start looking for lots of new talent, but the Poland game sure is, we need an influx of new players and ideas.

Like I said before, the way the USA plays is textbook and predictable. The way the team was running off the ball against Brazil is what killed us more than anything. That is entirely Bradley's job to make sure the team is attacking as a unit, how they pass and to whom they pass, etc.

Posted by: elfelixg | August 19, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

So, how about MLS teams being 3 for 3 in group stage of Champions League right now?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 19, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

I would say you were overreacting, but I ignored your whining.

Posted by: Reignking | August 19, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Don't get too excited JfA-ish. 3 home games with 3 one-goal leads. Unless MLS teams learn to foul, fall, and frustrate their opponents on the road, they may not be 3 left when the group stage ends.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 19, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Horrible own goal for Anderlecht yesterday.

Posted by: Reignking | August 19, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Many strikers would put that sitter over the bar.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 19, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

PSV just lost in injury time in a city that is closer to Mongolia than Moscow.

Posted by: Reignking | August 19, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Soccer America has DCU ranked dead last in Goalkeeping, Defense, and Midfield (not exactly going out on a limb, I know). Forward rankings come out tomorrow--the suspense is killing me!

Re: USA vs. Brazil, it's important not to read too much into it, but suggesting Brazil played its best hand against our B team is going WAY too far. The exact opposite is true; their B team came to face our A team, in OUR house. If Guzan had mailed it in like everyone else, the scoreline would have been an epic embarrassment.

That said, I agree with the "bird in the hand" sentiment.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 19, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

What's up with Vancouver nicknaming their team the Caps? That is not acceptable to this Washington fan...

I'm glad the CCL is finally getting some of the attention it deserves. It will be interesting to see if Seattle can keep the MLS win streak going.

Posted by: rademaar | August 19, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Internacional celebrated their second Copa Libertadores title after they defeated Mexican giants Guadalajara 3-2 to clinch a 5-3 aggregate win.

Posted by: Reignking | August 19, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

rademaar, at least it's a different sport. I'm still fried about BOTH of Philly's pro soccer teams copping their DC counterparts' names.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 19, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Maybe "Caps" refers to the tops of 'shrooms. Speaking of Vancouver, BC.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 19, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

@Reignking Calling for a change hardly constitutes whining Mr. George Dubya "stay the course with our strategery".

Posted by: elfelixg | August 19, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Another friendly with Poland, what's the point? YAWN!!!
What else is there to find out about the current USA team? No pace, no defense skills, not much talent. And the coach needs to go.

Posted by: letuan | August 19, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

“This is truly an exciting time for the MISL with the addition of a new team in Omaha,” said MISL Commissioner David Grimaldi.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 19, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: elfelixg | August 19, 2010 11:20 AM
===================

Shunned.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | August 19, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

One of Soccer Insider's finest gives us a very good update:

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | August 19, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Jemal Johnson is on trial with KC.

Posted by: Reignking | August 19, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

The proposed loan move by the Vancouver Whitecaps for US Under-20 forward Omar Salgado has fallen through due to technicalities with the player’s International Transfer Certificate (ITC). The Portland Timbers stand to benefit from the situation with the player leaving the Whitecaps and joining the USSF Division 2 Portland Timbers for training until the ITC situation is cleared.

Posted by: Reignking | August 19, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Hey DCB23, make sure you do the Red Apple Polish buffet AFTER a successful marathon. (The food is great, but a bit heavy, though ideal for recovery). Good luck!

Posted by: Section304 | August 19, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Eat at Hot Doug's...

Posted by: Reignking | August 19, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I just want to know: who is the perfect coach for USA? Who are the players we can call up to play the perfect way?

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 19, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Reignking.... Any Freddy adu news? Your usually my guy for stuff like this.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 19, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rademaar | August 19, 2010 10:29 AM
_________________________________________

"Caps" is short for Whitecaps, which was also the name of the city's NASL franchise. In other words, the term "Caps" has been associated with the Vancouver sports scene for about as long as it has been associated with the Washington sports scene.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 19, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Soccer America's preseason women's All-Americans include Sinead Farrelly (Virginia), Ingrid Wells (Georgetown), and Jasmyne Spencer (Maryland).

Posted by: universityandpark | August 19, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely none. It's Aristed. Development.

Posted by: Reignking | August 19, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

This just in...

Yarmouth, MA (Reuters) -- A tourist from Washington DC was arrested by police today for reportedly "rolling and wrestling with live lobsers," a police spokesman said.

The tourist, who police would not identify other than to call him "Steve," is currently in Yarmouth Medical Center undergoing treatment for multiple cuts and other wounds.

Witnesses reported hearing the man yell repeatedly "I'm rollin' with the lobsters!" as dozens of the sea-going creatures clamped down on his arms, legs, torso and nose as they frolicked on Yarmouth beach.

"I don't care what he does in his own home," said witness and Yarmouth resident Kevin Kasper, who first called police, "but you know, when a wolf if howling in your living room, you got to do something about it."

After receiving medical care, the suspect is expected to be held at the Yarmouth police district headquarters until relatives can be reached.

Police said they do not intend to give in to the suspect's demand to give him a laptop computer and Internet access.

"The nutca- I mean, suspect, said he has friends he needs to write to," said police spokesman Harry Olsen. "Well, that ain't going to happen."

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | August 19, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Well in Rand-al-Thor

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 19, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

@ I-270Exit1

the mohammed rafi reference was cool, but how about CLIMAX LAWRENCE playing in that game. great name, but unfortunately reminds me of this:

Posted by: birdynumnum | August 19, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Rossi starts, Jozy on the bench.

Posted by: Reignking | August 19, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I saw Climax Lawrence. I wondered why his parent's didn't name him Climaxlingam.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 19, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Bota el córner Borja Valero y Marchena, más listo que nadie en el primer palo, abre el marcador. Se veía venir. 1-0 gana el equipo de Garrido.

Posted by: Reignking | August 19, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

2-0 Villarreal :)

Posted by: Reignking | August 19, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Ah yes...over at the other blog, the Villarreal coach has no faith in Jozy because he didn't start today.

Posted by: Reignking | August 19, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Anchor blogger.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 19, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I love 270's razor-edged wit. Always makes me burst in laughter at work making my peers think I am going nuts and/or blowing my cover about what I am reading at the time.

Well in 270, well in.

Posted by: Kosh2 | August 19, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

King, but of course.

I mean if Jozy doesn't score a hat trick in his first 5 min while he's on the bench then, then, then we should just forget about him because his career is over. He's done at 21. He has failed all of US soccer, America, the world, heck the entire Milky Way and should just perform the seppuku now and be done with it all. Is seppuku harsh? Not really, considering we have enough severed fingers from the other 10 billion America soccer players in Europe who are not scoring goals from the bench for their respective teams.

Posted by: Kosh2 | August 19, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

4-zippy at half. Rossi involved in none.

Posted by: Reignking | August 19, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

I just think it is positive that Altidore as secured a place at Villarreal. Hopefully he gets a run out in the second half.

At the other blog this past weekend everyone assumed Dempsey's career was over in England because Hughes started him on the bench.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 19, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Reignking, you would happen to have a link would you?

We only have 1 tv in my apartment and my gf is watching Giada at home.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 19, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

No tv feed found...

Posted by: Reignking | August 19, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | August 19, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Reignking... I just read through Ives blog. I am assuming you are RK

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 19, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Nilmar in for Valero. Boooooo.

Posted by: Reignking | August 19, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Gotta think Altidore for Rossi at some point.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 19, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Jefferson Montero por Cazorla

Posted by: Reignking | August 19, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Jozy for Rossi.

Posted by: Reignking | August 19, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Nilmar celebrates Jozy's arrival by scoring the 5th.

Posted by: Reignking | August 19, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Jozy forces a great save.

Posted by: Reignking | August 19, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

When is USSF going to finally make a decicsion on a soccer coach? Hopefully Bradley will take the Villa job, and we can finally hire a decent coach like Jurgen Klinsmann. The game against a bunch of Brazilian 17 yr. olds showed the flaws in out team, and the need for a new direction. As far as getting rid of Sunil? It's hopeless, USSF just gave him another 4 yrs. in March. Why before a WC and not after a WC? Who knows. Another example of USSF dysfunction. They should make the decicsion AFTER a WC, not before.

Posted by: drphillips44 | August 23, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse