USA roster for friendly vs. Brazil

The list for the U.S. national team's friendly against Brazil next Tuesday night at the Meadowlands in New Jersey. Fourteen of the 18 players were on the World Cup squad. The exceptions are noted with an asterisk.

GOALKEEPERS: Tim Howard (Everton), Brad Guzan (Aston Villa).

DEFENDERS: Carlos Bocanegra (Saint-Etienne), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Steve Cherundolo (Hanover), Clarence Goodson (Start), Jonathan Spector (West Ham), Chad Marshall (Columbus)*.

MIDFIELDERS: Landon Donovan (Los Angeles), Michael Bradley (Moenchengladbach), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Benny Feilhaber (Aarhus), Jermaine Jones (Schalke)*, Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht)*, Alejandro Bedoya (Orebro)*.

FORWARDS: Edson Buddle (Los Angeles), Robbie Findley (Real Salt Lake), Herculez Gomez (Pachuca).

"This game is a great opportunity to showcase many players from the World Cup team who earned the respect and appreciation of fans across the country," Coach Bob Bradley said. "At the same time, our goal continues to be to compete and succeed against the best teams in the world. With an extremely talented group of players, Brazil will be another difficult test."

Expect more experimental call-ups in October, when the Americans are tentatively scheduled to play two friendlies. For the Brazil match, the group will be together for just one training session.

By Steve Goff  |  August 4, 2010; 3:09 PM ET
Categories:  Brazil , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: USA-Brazil
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United front office discusses Onalfo, Olsen
Next: Freedom wins, but Gabarra's job in jeopardy

Comments

I'm pretty sure we'll lose this game, and it will be Payne and Kasper's fault...

Posted by: JkR- | August 4, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I imagine that Bradley wants Davies and Gooch to spend more time with their clubs.

Any news of DaMarcus? A possible signing for DC?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 4, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

The name that stands out: Jermaine Jones

Posted by: njndirish | August 4, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Per Steve Goff's tweet:

Dutch club Heracles and French club Nice among the Euro sides interested in USA veteran DaMarcus Beasley, Insider has learned

Posted by: Reignking | August 4, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Translation: My career could use a victory against an inexperienced Brazil side about now.

Got to think this is a 4-5-1.

Howard
Cherundolo-Goodson-Bocanegra-Bornstein(duh)
RM-Donovan Am-Feilhaber CM-Bradley DM- Edu LM- Bedoya
FW-Buddle

I think Gomez, Klejstan, and Jones are subs, although we could rock the bucket again with Findley not doing much. Nostalgia.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 4, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

No Duece? Anyone have any idea why?

Posted by: harkes4ever | August 4, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

No deuce = Mark Hughes, who was appointed this week, needs to get his best player ready to go. And Dempsey doesn't give a d@mn about a meaningless friendly.

Posted by: me_ahogo | August 4, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

This is a meaningless friendly and guess what it is an opportunity to see some new faces. There are very few new faces and this is why Bradley needs to move on. He plays to win, which is great, but where are all the young guys that should be on this roster? Bradley cannot change and if this team is to get better we need to move away from his style. I really hope that the Bradley era ends this year. Good examples of using creative ideas for a new roster are Arena's first few games and recently what Rongen did with the U-20 team. Arena started a trend of using more MLS players and Rongen is exploring players who are not as mainstream such as latin players and looking at the youth clubs of MLS teams.

Posted by: no_recess | August 4, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Decent roster.

I hope Tristen Bowen sees some time between October and January. Definitely January. That kid is mad talented and fearless.

Posted by: Kosh2 | August 4, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

no Ricardo Clark?

Posted by: fedssocr | August 4, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Kljestan sucks and shouldn't be called in. a goal against a crappy European team no bigger than the Richmond Kickers apparenlty makes up for four years of mostly terrible play with the MNT? Only with Bob Bradley...

Posted by: newportnews | August 4, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

no Ricardo Clark?

Posted by: fedssocr | August 4, 2010 3:56 PM

--------------------------------------------

Hopefully this is the beginning of a trend.

Posted by: Kenobi | August 4, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm with no_recess... except for the Rongen bit. I think hispanic players are coming to us, not the other way around. Salgado, for example, could have stayed at Chivas, but he personally wanted the US bad enough to join a sadder club in MLS. Rongen isn't a tactical genius, but a coach totally dependent on the amount of talent in a passing generation.

But yeah, Bob made next tuesday exciting for me, yet the lack of fresh blood scares me. We're going to have to groom fast.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 4, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Davies has not recovered to the point where he can be reconsidered for NT. I wonder if Spector has gotten over whatever was bugging him in the spring/summer -- he'd really lost his edge.

As for looking for new faces, the club seasons haven't started yet, so nobody has had a chancge to force their way onto the radar screen. But all of the guys that were newly on the radar last spring are here. I count two defenders, three midfielders and three forwards who were not "regulars" on the squad as of a year ago.

Posted by: glfrazier | August 4, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Could we see Edu at center back in this one?

Posted by: pino149 | August 4, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

And Dempsey doesn't give a d@mn about a meaningless friendly.

Posted by: me_ahogo | August 4, 2010 3:41 PM

The 'meaning' part is making some cash. That's why they want some semblance of the World Cup roster there. Tuesday and Wednesday are FIFA sanctioned match days, so Bradley could have insisted on Dempsey - but he's probably doing Hughes (and Clint) a solid by letting him stay in London. And it makes sense for Bradley that Dempsey has every chance at getting time with a new manager.

I'm looking forward to Jermaine Jones' debut.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 4, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

@no_recess - Bob said in the press release that this [meaningless friendly] is a chance to showcase players from the World Cup on homesoil. and beyond that, they get 1 practice together. do you really want him calling up a bunch of new players who don't know his system to go get wiped by Brazil's C squad on national tv? Im thrilled to even see JERMAINE JONES and Bedoya on here, let along if they get minutes.

Posted by: VTUnited | August 4, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Kljestan > Holden? Aside from Donovan, this midfield seems shorter on dynamic flank play than it needs to.

Posted by: benonthehill | August 4, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

It's a meaningless friendly under a possibly interim coach but I don't mind if the US fields an experienced team and plays to win.

It's a lot more important, publicity-wise, than a wintertime friendly against a hibernating Scandinavian team. After our last success at a World Cup in 2002, the US team finally got around to playing it's next game against El Salvador at RFK on a cold rainy day (I can still feel the water running down the back of my neck) 4 or 5 months after returning from Korea. That was very much a B side type game.

I'm glad US Soccer is having a more high profile and relevant post World Cup game (even if it may be a bit of a meaningless money grab) this time around. The World Cup team deserves a bit of a victory lap in front of the home fans.

I'll be interested to see how Jermaine Jones fits in if he does play. The only thing that would get me really excited about this game would be if Andy Najar played but I will still watch and probably enjoy the match.

Less than 4 years to the next World Cup!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 4, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Given that the players are getting together only the day before the game its silly to think there would have been a lot of call ups of new folks for this game. I don't think that is a reflection of Bradley's ability as a coach, or need for USMNT to move in another direction. Its just the reality of the schedule. Folks who want a new coach will take any opportunity to make an anti-Bradley case every chance they get.

Posted by: nyjer1 | August 4, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

When do the players have to report? I was hoping to see Edu playing for Rangers this weekend against Newcastle.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | August 4, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Excited to see Jones and Bedoya. Gonna have a little fun, I won't complain at all here.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 4, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

I hope the US gets blown out. In the long run it may be the best thing for US soccer. Maybe then USSF and Gulati would consider firing Bob Bradley, and hiring a REAL coach like Jurgen Klinsmann to take US to the next level. I can't take another 4 years of the dull, boring Bob Bradley.

Posted by: drphillips44 | August 4, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Onalfo is now available for the US job.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 4, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Yeah those last 2 trips to S Africa were dull....wtf??

Posted by: JkR- | August 4, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: drphillips44 | August 4, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

So, when Klinsmann takes the job, does he get to bring German defenders like Mertesacker, Lamb and Friedeich with him? Oh right, he'll only have our lower league defensive talent to work with, just like Bradley.

We've accomplished exactly what our talent has allowed in the past 4 years.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 4, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

I have to say that I think this whole game is kind of a waste of time for the USMNT but maybe they need some cash. Brazil seems to be starting to get ready for the next World Cup cycle. It just looks to me like we are showing that we just don't get it. Hopefully the US Federation does something good with the money they make because that is really the only positive I see.

Posted by: csd1 | August 4, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Howard
Dolo Specter Goodson Bocanegra
Jones Edu
Donovon Bradley Feilhaber
Buddle

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | August 4, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Hope Solo tweeting about racist comments made by fans at the Beat's game at Boston tonight.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 4, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

No Stuart Holden, why? I think he should have played more at the WC.

Posted by: b18bolo | August 4, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Stuart Holden is probably fighting for a for a spot with Bolton.

Posted by: mason08 | August 4, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

bobs fine. sure he made a few gaffes, but he's the gaffer, so thats what he does, but honestly our team has grown under his guidance.

I do like the "new blood" in the coaching department for every world cup cycle though. Its like getting a new girlfriend kind of.

umm...I'm going to stop typing now.

Posted by: wordup1 | August 5, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

4-5-1? I'd very much doubt it.

Posted by: diego_r | August 5, 2010 12:49 AM | Report abuse

The Bruce took the US to the next level by turning the US into the kings of CONCACAF.

Badley took the US to the next level by showing the US could compete with top European squads.

Now we just need a coach who can beat Ghana. The only one who managed that (in regular time) was Low, and I highly doubt he is leaving the German team for the US anytime soon.

Posted by: Southeasterner | August 5, 2010 12:58 AM | Report abuse

My friends, don't tell USA will face a Brazil's C team. In fact, you will face the most powerfull atack players we have seen in the last 15 years here in Brazil.
You don't know but Neymar (18 ya), Ganso (20 ya) and André (19 ya) play together for Santos here in Brazil. They play with Robinho and Santos have been scoring a lot of goals in 2010.
Since they play together, they will bring a good job for team USA.
Good Luck!!

Posted by: luciosouzapontes | August 5, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

@VTUnited

The answer to your question is yes I would rather see some new faces instead of Bornstein, Pearce, and Chad Marshall. How about Franklin, Gonzalez (he may be injured), and maybe even Castillo. We have had a problem at left back since the 1990s. Is playing the same player over and over again going to make them better? I don't think so. If this is the Brazlian C team then it is a good opportunity to bring in some new guys and get them experience.

Posted by: no_recess | August 5, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse